Thread: Dang it Timurids!

Red face Dang it Timurids!

Once again Im playing Spain. The timurids have arrived and thus far its been 50 turns since their arrival. I was wondering if its rare for them to expand eastward(towards Poland/HRE) instead of south (In the Holy Land). I was really surprised then I took over Frankfurt and I started seeing alot of Timurid agents and suddently an army that Im not prepared to face 2 turns later. Time to spam Jinetes!

Default Re: Dang it Timurids!

I have never seen them further west then the Russian Steppes in any of my games. That is pretty impressive if they have made it as far west as the territories of the HRE. Make sure you spam a ton of your missle troops to take out those almost unstoppable elephants. Good luck!
    Last edited by ByzanKing; 10-14-2008 at 19:55.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

I MADE sure they never came past Kiev.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Lord of all Under-Thumb Member Jason X's Avatar

jinetes v timurids = lots of dead oliphaunts
    "Patriotism is the belief that your country is better than any other because you were born there"

I've had that happen as spain as well,fortunately I managed to persuade the pope to declare a crusade on the citadel of bern which they owned at the time,and once i took that, they seemed to concentrate everything on taking it back. I was amused seeing elephants mass-stampeded there own troops under artillery fire,as I had about 4 basiliks in the army that managed to take bern..

I usually find that the only way I will really get to fight the Timurids or the Mongols is to play as a either..
    Russia, Turkey, Byzantium, or Egypt.

I know some players will be France or England and take over the Holy Land, but i like to spread my empire out so its not like i have 2-3 provinces cut off from my mainland.

Crusades are worthwhile to amass a horde that goes forth and sacks towns, like a revenue tactic :)

Very surprised to hear the Timurids got to Frankfurt, but they aren't that big of a threat, just build lots of serpentines or ballista/catapults and get urself enough archers, not too much trouble

Scottish exile Member Proserpine's Avatar

I beat them outside Lisbon in one game recently. In my latest game though, I smashed them at Antioch but they have bypassed my (Spanish) Middle Eastern empire and now hold Acre.
    O wad god the giftie gie us
    To see oorselves as ithers see us - Robert Burns

I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours - Bob Dylan

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

My timurids are all the way from alexandria to arabia to asia minor up to yerevan, all greece and have 3 provinces adove danube. i tried to face em...got served...now i m doing guerilla tactics since they barely guard their cities...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

I remember the Timurids doing all of Africa once...so glad I was safe in England :P

Annoyingly, they and the Mongols do have a nasty habit of just...standing there. Five or so full stacks and they don't even go after a rebel settlement. Granted, this seems more common on mods and modded campaign maps, but still...everyone else seems manage just fine.

In fact I hate it when they conquer half the known world... I mean yes, they are a good challenge but it just feels so historically wrong when they annihilate turkey, egypt, russia, poland and.... everything

same goes for mongols...

Quote Originally Posted by Alerion View Post
    In fact I hate it when they conquer half the known world... I mean yes, they are a good challenge but it just feels so historically wrong when they annihilate turkey, egypt, russia, poland and.... everything

same goes for mongols...
    screw that! Its specially bad when you to fight the Mongols & timurids(allied w/ each other).... and they hold the one thing you need! Jerusalem

Lord of all Under-Thumb Member Jason X's Avatar

how is the hordes conquering "half the known world" ahistorical?
    "Patriotism is the belief that your country is better than any other because you were born there"

I mean I'm open for history lessons, but as far as I know the Mongols never conquered France

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Yea, because Genghis died.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

Actually, it was Ögedei who died.
    Last edited by Empirate; 01-07-2009 at 21:17.
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

I'm having the opposite problem. I played Russia *specifically* so I could finally face epic battles against the Mongols and Timurids.

I sat tight, teched up, grabbed Kiev and a couple other nearby places, and when the Mongols finally showed up, they appeared near Baghdad. I figured, no big deal, this just lets me get to the *really* cool units, like Cossack Musketeers and Berdiche Axemen.

More turns go by. I invade Hungary to keep things interesting and give the provinces I capture back to the Byzantines, who had them first anyway. Finally, around turn 170, the Timurids show up... NEAR BAGHDAD!!

As if that wasn't bad enough, the Timurids decide it would be fun to fight the Mongols, who carved a nice little empire out for themselves around Antioch. So now the big, bad, scary hordes are ineffectually bumping chests in the armpit of Asia Minor while my top-tier units twiddle their thumbs in my tricked-out citadels with nothing to do.

Nice. Starting a Venice campaign, I think....

About the Timurids,what army as the english would you advise for engaging the timurids in an open battle? I've been depleting what elephants they had in constant siege battles on the 2 citadels I still hold in the middle-east,but I really need to re-take aleppo,as I suspect they are using that citadel to train Khan's Guard units. I was thinking 7-8 units of retinue Longbowmen,some armoured Swordmen,maybe either Ribaults or Catapults,in case I do run into Elephants,and as a anti-infantry units,maube some Templar Knights depending how impetous they are,but I'm stuck by the lack of decent heavy spearmen,and I don't really want to imoprt any,as the HRe,egyptians and Turks hate me,and still have decent fleets that would try to sink any reinforcements..

Quote Originally Posted by oz_wwjd View Post
    About the Timurids,what army as the english would you advise for engaging the timurids in an open battle? I've been depleting what elephants they had in constant siege battles on the 2 citadels I still hold in the middle-east,but I really need to re-take aleppo,as I suspect they are using that citadel to train Khan's Guard units. I was thinking 7-8 units of retinue Longbowmen,some armoured Swordmen,maybe either Ribaults or Catapults,in case I do run into Elephants,and as a anti-infantry units,maube some Templar Knights depending how impetous they are,but I'm stuck by the lack of decent heavy spearmen,and I don't really want to imoprt any,as the HRe,egyptians and Turks hate me,and still have decent fleets that would try to sink any reinforcements..
    *scratches Head* Im don't have much Exp with england... Im more of a spanish Guy.. but in my Battles against those tea drinking, Speedo wearing, Good evenning madame Brit's is that Billmen really do give Cavalry a run for their money.

In my campaign as England, the Timurids have destroyed Russia and almost destroy Poland; ended up using my longbowmen agianst their heavy cavalry and elephants, also german pikemen were useful. European knights are not very good against them.

The mongols on the other hand, killed Turkey and would be slaughtering on thier way to Alexandria to destroy Egypt, if I did not get Two full stacks to Jerusalem and finish my campaign!

Historically, the Timurids destroyed the Baghdad caliphanate, while the Mongols ravaged Russia, so it makes sense they arrive in the Middle East. I guess the hordes arrive randomly.

(my first post!)