Thread: Augustan Reforms Question (I read the FAQ)

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Default Augustan Reforms Question (I read the FAQ)

Greetings fellow EB players!

I am currently still finishing off my 1.1 campaign before I upgrade to 1.2. This campaign is with the Romani and It's quite a nice campaign to play. It is the year 212BC and my empire is very large. I have around 138 regions and I own Britain, Gaul, Germania, Iberia, Italy, Illyria, Africa, almost all Ptolemaic lands, the levant, Asia Minor, Greece, Illyria, the fullstack rebel cities, the Crimea and the western parts of modern russia. In the year 242 I finally got the polybian reforms and around 12 years later I reached 90 regions and got my legionaires. But I looked up on the Augustan reforms and I see it can only be done after 125BC. A date I will never reach as I expect to finish around 170-180BC, maybe even earlier. The victory conditions are almost met.

So my question is, is there any way to trigger the reforms by changing files in the EB folder? I really want to enjoy the full EB experience so I thougth it would be nice to have the reforms when I reach my victory conditions.

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Default Re: Augustan Reforms Question (I read the FAQ)

Well IMO to enjoy the full Eb experience you must take it slow and not blitz the map. I'm in 212 BC in my Romani campaign too and I have (modern day) Italy (+ Sicilia and Sardinia), Corsica, Illyria, Epeiros, the Balearic Islands and 4 settlements in Spain.

But every one plays as he wishes of course...

To answer your question : take a look at the unofficial mod sub-forum. There's a thread on how to change the triggers for the reforms.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 01-11-2009 at 18:00.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Legatus Member Tiberius Claudius Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Greetings fellow EB players!

I am currently still finishing off my 1.1 campaign before I upgrade to 1.2. This campaign is with the Romani and It's quite a nice campaign to play. It is the year 212BC and my empire is very large. I have around 138 regions and I own Britain, Gaul, Germania, Iberia, Italy, Illyria, Africa, almost all Ptolemaic lands, the levant, Asia Minor, Greece, Illyria, the fullstack rebel cities, the Crimea and the western parts of modern russia. In the year 242 I finally got the polybian reforms and around 12 years later I reached 90 regions and got my legionaires. But I looked up on the Augustan reforms and I see it can only be done after 125BC. A date I will never reach as I expect to finish around 170-180BC, maybe even earlier. The victory conditions are almost met.

So my question is, is there any way to trigger the reforms by changing files in the EB folder? I really want to enjoy the full EB experience so I thougth it would be nice to have the reforms when I reach my victory conditions.

Thanks for reading.
    I play the Romani a lot; but 138 regions in 60 years? What are your difficulty settings, what are your tactics, and, forgive me, do you cheat?

I simply find it incredulous; but I like to siege until capitulation, win through attrition, and build up my cities to max level. Perhaps it is quite possible to blitz and not have to worry about barbarians/revolts
    Last edited by Tiberius Claudius Marcellus; 01-11-2009 at 17:55.
    Semper Fidelis

Campaigns Completed:
    Casse, Epirote, Getai, Romani
    "it is in his character traits and that's how Tiberius chooses to rp him. In all honesty i think this would be boring without such ridiculous characters..."

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    I have around 138 regions
    For one moment, I thought you typed legions

Anyways, good luck with the campaign

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunus Tiberius Claudius Marcellus View Post
    I play the Romani a lot; but 138 regions in 60 years? What are your difficulty settings, what are your tactics, and, forgive me, do you cheat?

I simply find it incredulous; but I like to siege until capitulation, win through attrition, and build up my cities to max level. Perhaps it is quite possible to blitz and not have to worry about barbarians/revolts
    Yeah it is doable. You just save moeny, train as many fullstacks you can get and make sure you have 2 fullstacks of levies following. And then you begin to conquer settlements, leaving some levies there and moving on, focussing on killing factions so they can't attack you. (goes even faster when you use the add_money cheat)

Personally I think it is boring, because it doesn't give you the opportunity to role play or even to build up your cities.

But like I said every one has own way of playing. Me and Marcellus like to play slow, others like to conquer the world as fast as they can.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 01-11-2009 at 18:07.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Mediolanicus, thank you very much, after searching there I got it and know how to manually mod it.

For the more off-topic questions:

No I don't cheat, I don't want to, I don't need to and don't know them. I really dont like cheats and I know myself, if I knew all cheats I would over use them in battles which I don't want to bother myself.

About the speed,

It may be true about the roleplaying, but everytime I intend to play with honour, the mindless AI attacks the superior me and then all hell breaks loose, I usually have one of my great generals with a fullstack "perfect" army sent to that faction (or more, depends on the factions power) and wipe out the faction entirely, they wont accept ceasefires or protectorates. I mainly depend on strong Italian fullstack armies sent to a specific area under command of an able or skilled family member.

The most important reason I play this fast is my traumatic experience of Egypt

Egypt was my first campaign in a totalwar game ever, it was all nice and new, but to a certain moment. I owned Africa, Egypt, Asia Minor, the middle east, Caucasus and provinces to the northeast of the black sea. My big border cities were Chersonesos on the Crimea and Tanais near the Azov sea.

All the remaining world was conquered by the Julii and the Brutii (I kicked the Scipii out of Africa already). As the Julii headed for the northwestern part of the world, the brutii did head for the east. At Tanais, I decided to head my faction leaders army to campus scythii (around EB Olbia). I encountered 3 fullstack early legionary/legionary armies, I did beat one, I did beat two, I beat them all, but my army was small now, and two new armies came, I headed back to Tanais to retrain. Then I attacked them again, but again new fullstack armies arrived. This process repeated endlessly, the fields were littered with sites of famous battles. After killing around 50 full stack armies (no joking) I sent out a supporting army of the new faction leader (old one died during the process). Also two armies were dispatched to Greece to destroy their "fullstack legionary factories". After I finally captured campus Getae and Scythii and the capture of Greece, things went more well. I did finish the campaign but fighting mindless legionaries streams I could say I received the trait "battleweary" myself

After that I played an extremely fast brutii campaign and then quit the game for a while, tired of the endless, autoresolve cant and i dont want to bother battles. After a while i started playing RTR and MTW2 and kingdoms, finally I stumbled upon EB which i still like at the moment, but now I always tend to fight fast like a blitzkrieg, remembering the Egyptian endless war.

I have a lot of pictures of my old Epeiros campaign and my current Romani campaign which I could upload and show what I did. But then I should work with imagehosting websites, and Im not too experienced with that.

Anyway thanks for everybodys feedback!

P.S. Difficulty setting VH/M or VH/VH. dont remember, started long ago, i tend to play hardest, but i dont remember if i listened to the FAQ advice.
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 01-11-2009 at 19:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Pull your troops out of half your empire, set taxes high and role play the civil wars. Maybe that'll hold you over until 125..
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Pull your troops out of half your empire, set taxes high and role play the civil wars. Maybe that'll hold you over until 125..
    I tried that. In 1.1 rebillions cause the game to crash, so it's very hard to do so.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I've had 5+ Rebellions that have turned most of my neighbors against me. Haven't seen a crash on one yet.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Weird. I get crashes on a constant level.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    Weird. I get crashes on a constant level.
    its not revolts to other faction that cause CTDs it rebellions to Eultheroi that forces the game to shut down like that.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Yeah. The computer doesn't know what units to spawn, afaik.