Thread: Empire Total War system requirements

Default Re: Empire Total War system requirements

List your spec

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

Off hand (not at home at the mo):-
    Dell dimension 4600
    Pentium 4 ht
    ge force graphics card (can't recall model but newly bought and I am assured by a mate who's computer savvy it's up to it) 512mb
    3 gig ram 2x 1g + 2x 512 mb
    plenty of space on hard drive (ie 112gig or so)
    all recent drivers (I think)
    Last edited by kitbogha; 04-06-2009 at 17:34.
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

How old is it? I glanced on the internet and the ram all appears to be ddr which will be way slow for this game (I doubt many has anything less than ddr2). It also appears to be an integrated graphics card which wont cope well but if you specify there is a dedicated card did it come with the computer? if so it is 2 years old and is having trouble coping. CPU is not perfect but should do.

The type of ram, ddr vs. ddr2 vs ddr3, is tied to the cpu / motherboard. Can't change it w/o changing a lot of things, but I really doubt it would be a limiting problem, just cuz I think it's overhyped. The cpu might be as there were a wide range of 'pentium 4s' produced.

Try adjusting your graphics settings to the lowest, if it clears up your problem then adjust them up until it's as good as you can get w/o boggyness. At a minimum that should help eliminate some possible causes of your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by a-e View Post
    How old is it? I glanced on the internet and the ram all appears to be ddr which will be way slow for this game (I doubt many has anything less than ddr2). It also appears to be an integrated graphics card which wont cope well but if you specify there is a dedicated card did it come with the computer? if so it is 2 years old and is having trouble coping. CPU is not perfect but should do.
    Hmm. The Ram is definately DDR. The comp is second hand so not sure how old it is. The card is brand new and bought esp for the game so should be up to it. Do you think that adding more RAM will sort out the problem? I would think that if it can run custom scenarios but not campaign, the difference may be that there is a problem with it retaining information from the campaign as well that is pushing it over the brink. But my technical know how is v limited.
    Thanks too Babblerossa, I will try this as well. I put more Ram in recently and things seemed better so I did up the settings-maybe prematurely....
    Last edited by kitbogha; 04-07-2009 at 08:29.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

What is the CPU speed?

Ok, I have a 2.67ghz intel dual core, geforce 8800 vidcard, and 4 gigs of ram, and I'm getting out of video memory crash on campaign battles still. No problems in custom battles. This is the memory leak issue with the game people were talking about?

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post
    Ok, I have a 2.67ghz intel dual core, geforce 8800 vidcard, and 4 gigs of ram, and I'm getting out of video memory crash on campaign battles still. No problems in custom battles. This is the memory leak issue with the game people were talking about?
    Yes, could be - go here and follow the directions:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484
    "Après moi le déluge"

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

macbook pro with vista installed via bootcamp
    2.4 ghz processor
    256 mb video card
    2 gb ram

I should be able to play, right?
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs View Post
    macbook pro with vista installed via bootcamp
    2.4 ghz processor
    256 mb video card
    2 gb ram

I should be able to play, right?

Don't know anything about "bootcamp" and how well that turnsa a Mac into a PC but I can tell you that you are on the very low end of all of the system specs and that folks in your shoes have not reported good results. Having a Mac also means your ability to upgrade is about nil, correct?

If that is the case then I would pass on ETW.
    "Après moi le déluge"

@woad&fangs
    you should be able to play but I can never figure out what video card macbooks actually have.
    As Barkhorn said you're at the low end, but try the demo and see how that works. Mine plays pretty similar to how that went.

And 'bootcamp' is like dualboot for apples, so it's running windows from boot not in emulation.

Smile Re: Empire Total War system requirements

Hi guys,

good to finally join the forums. I just have a quick query- thanks for your help!

I have a new computer coming, finally! It's spec's are:

xps 730 x
    i7-920 Processor
    6GB (3X2GB) Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz- 3 DIMMs
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

I'm pretty sure (hopefully!) it will run ok, but not sure at what settings; does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

What is the CPU speed?
    No idea, how do I find out?
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Right click on My computer and select properties. It is probably two-point-something Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by groovecow View Post
    Hi guys,

good to finally join the forums. I just have a quick query- thanks for your help!

I have a new computer coming, finally! It's spec's are:

xps 730 x
    i7-920 Processor
    6GB (3X2GB) Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz- 3 DIMMs
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

I'm pretty sure (hopefully!) it will run ok, but not sure at what settings; does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
    pffft.... ultra high settings.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

DELL XPS M1710
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ
    4GB RAM
    256MB nVidia 7900GS
    250GB HDD

Settings?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quick question not so related: How much does cost a rig capable of this game?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I'm about ready to build a PC to run ETW. I'd like to put together something that can absolutely rock ETW on the highest settings at 1900X1200 resolution. This will also be the first PC I've built (yikes!)

What adjustments would you make?

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Agena; Quad core 2.3 ghz
    GPU: GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    RAM: 2 X 2 GB Corsair DDR2 SDRM DDR2 1066
    HD: Wesern Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA

The complete list of components I'd buy for this is here at Newegg. Thanks for any tips on this setup!

Also, I'm wondering if ETW runs significantly better on Vista 64; from what I've read Vista 64 is a huge headache to manage.

Edit: Caius, obviously I am not qualified answer your question, but this might be helpful to you -- the configuration I'm thinking of buying came from this popular blog post about building the ultimate $600 gaming machine (monitor, mouse & keyboard not included.)
    Last edited by Flavius Gonzo; 04-19-2009 at 07:08.

@ Flavius - Vista 64-bit is fine, I run it and besides the memory leak problem there are no issues whatsoever. You should be fine but you may need to turn down the shadows sections. My card is almost equal to yours and I can play everything on ultra (including 500 man units) but I need shadows off. I suspect this to be an issue with modern graphics cards. But it will run very well.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Edit: Caius, obviously I am not qualified answer your question, but this might be helpful to you -- the configuration I'm thinking of buying came from this popular blog post about building the ultimate $600 gaming machine
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a good option, Flavius. And way cheaper. The Pc I have is "old", it has 2 years but it is very old for Medieval II, let alone Empire.

You don't want to post me my Big PC, don't you?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Right click on My computer and select properties. It is probably two-point-something Ghz
    Thanks, a-e,
    It is 3.0 Ghz. Also found out the graphics card is Gforce 5500 (2 and a half GB). It's a most perplexing mystery. I don't know much about computers but I do feel it should work. I'm so frustrated I have gone back to Kingdoms, which works like a ****ing dream...If only I could play Empire though!!
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

@Kit, the graphica card just wont cope. I just found references about it as being mid-range in 2004, sorry. You only chance is to upgrade it. the CPU is single-core but over the minimum settings so will undoubtedly be fine on the tiny unit sizes. You may need a new rig.
    Last edited by a-e; 04-20-2009 at 18:52.

@Kit, the graphica card just wont cope. I just found references about it as being mid-range in 2004, sorry. You only chance is to upgrade it. the CPU is single-core but over the minimum settings so will undoubtedly be fine on the tiny unit sizes. You may need a new rig.
    Thanks, bad news though. Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suggestions for acceptable card?
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

It seems to run ok on a GeForce 8600 GFS - not outstanding, and perhaps a lil lag in the larger battles, but ok.
    Anything from the 9*** range should be fine.

My rig is-

Intel Core quad Q6600
    8GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    GeForce 8600 GFS
    bog standard 80GB hard disk

It wasnt really built for gaming, but it handles E:TW ok, the bottle neck almost certainly being the graphics card. If you just want it to run without anything flashy, the GeForce 8000 series cards should suit you.
    "Why should I? Your very existence is nothing but a lie! And everything in this world is a whim! It's all the fruit of an insane imagination! NOTHING IS REAL! AND NEITHER DO I EXIST!" - [Sayoko - Character from OMG]

Thanks our kid, I'll get saving...
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

FYI - Only running it at 1280x1024 - anything significantly larger will need more power.
    "Why should I? Your very existence is nothing but a lie! And everything in this world is a whim! It's all the fruit of an insane imagination! NOTHING IS REAL! AND NEITHER DO I EXIST!" - [Sayoko - Character from OMG]

That "ultimate" gaming rig will only run ETW at minimal settings, just barely, since it's only 2.3G CPU. Quad core makes no difference since ETW's not optimized for multiple cores. If CA ever figures that part out, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt View Post
    That "ultimate" gaming rig will only run ETW at minimal settings, just barely, since it's only 2.3G CPU. Quad core makes no difference since ETW's not optimized for multiple cores. If CA ever figures that part out, it should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillan
    It wasnt really built for gaming
    At what point did I say it was an "ultimate" gaming rig? if I had built it for gaming I would have had less RAM and a better graphics card and a dual core with a higher clock speed.

Tillian, I think Gardibolt was referring to the ultimate $600 gaming machine I posted above, not your rig.

Gardibolt, that's good advice on the multicore support in ETW. How did you figure this out? I couldn't find this info anywhere. I swear, PC gaming requires a PHD in computer hardware these days.

I just placed an order for my rig -- I completely nixed the $600 gaming rig setup and selected a completely new set of components that ended up running around $1200 instead. (Wife = not happy.)

Assuming I can install everything right (1st time building a PC) I should have the following specs:

Asus Striker II Forumla mobo (SLI compatible)
    Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 Ghz
    4 X Kingston HyperX 1 Gb RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
    2 X EVGA GeForce 9800 GT
    Western Digi Caviar Black 1 TB HD @ 7200 RPM

Everything should arrive early next week; does anyone see any problems with my setup? I guess once I start unboxing this stuff I will be locked in. I want to rock highest settings for 1900 X 1200. One concern I have is memory; Asus's QVL for my mobo doesn't include any options for 8 GB. I know I don't have to stick with their QVL, but I figured it would be best to buy cheaper RAM that is guarenteed to work now; later I can try to upgrade to 8 GB @ 1066 MHz after I know everything else works.

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate so I can do either 64 bit or 32 bit -- leaning towards 64 now I think -- any thoughts?

Ahh, My bad, I appologise gardibolt.

Generally speaking I tend not to bother to much with SLI\Crossfire, two cheaper cards usually doesnt match the performance of the same total priced high end card. So getting two cards costing $100 each wouldnt get you the same performance of a single card costing $200. However, this is not something Ive looked in great detail at for a while now, so anybody with better advice please give it.

Memory shouldn't be a problem, 4GB is enough to run it, the 32 vs 64 bit is a bit more complicated. If you have more than 4GB of RAM you need 64bit to take advantage of it, 32bit just cant "see" more then 4GB (actually i believe the real number is about 3.74GB), which is why so many motherboards are built for 4GB max. You however have exactly 4GB of RAM, which makes things more complicated. Largely speaking -

32bit
    --Tends to be slightly more stable/polished.
    --All windows programs will work normally
    --Is generally the best "Default" option

But
    --May have issues seeing the total amount of RAM on BOTH your motherboard and Graphics Cards - The amount of RAM on the graphics cards counts towards the maximum amount of RAM the system can see, so if your cards have 512MB each, the total amount of system RAM listed may be 3GB (4GB - 1GB for both cards). Make a search for "missing RAM" in google, its a very common problem.

64bit
    --Will always see everything (at least until we start getting terrabytes of RAM in systems)

But
    --Some programs just dont play nice with 64bit vista - Empire does play fine FYI - but it may be worth checking your other regular programs to see if they're 64bit supported, or if they work well with vista's 32bit "emulation" mode.

NB - Just to make things slightly more complicated, the con listed under 32bit doesnt always show up, and more bizarlly, does show up occationally when the person in question is using a 64bit OS, which means its possibly more a motherboard issue.

Long story short, ild try 32bit first, and see whether everything works. If your having problems seeing all your RAM, then move to 64.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast