• Baktria

21 56.76%
  • Getai

13 35.14%
  • Take a break

3 8.11%

Thread: What's next?

Default What's next?

Well, now that I've wrapped up my Arveni campaign, I face an intriguing question: where do I go from here? From my perspective, I have now conquered most, if not all, of EB's primary challenges/themes in faction play. To be clear, I see them as: big power with few major immediate enemies and lots of expansion opportunity (Rome/Carthage), big power with immediate enemies and little expansion room (AS/Ptolie), intermediate power facing numerous challenges before becoming a "big" power, including eventual conflict with an established "big" (Western Hellenes, Arveni/Aedui), the steppe experience (Sauro/Saka/Pahlava), the David vs Goliath scenario (Baktria/Hai/Pontus/Pahlava), and the "I'm isolated and face a crippling national debt. Woe is me!" scenario (Luso/Casse/Sweboz/Getai/Saba).
    Now each faction obviously has its unique perks, but over the course of an entire campaign this probably sums up most people's experience, those who heavily rp or console migrate excluded.
    I have, over the course of my EB time (0.8x+), played Rome 5 (1 complete, 3 to Marians) times, Carthage 3 (2 complete), Maks 2 (both complete), KH 1 (complete), Arveni 1 (just completed), Aedui 1 (stopped after beating Rome), Sweboz 1 (same), Hai 1 (incomplete), Pontus 1 (same), Sauro 1 (incomplete but damn they have a vast VC and no real challenge was left), Pahlava 2 (both complete), AS (effectively complete).
    Thus the factions left for me are:
    Saka
    Saba
    Epeiros
    Ptolies
    Getai
    Luso
    Casse
    Baktria

Of these Epeiros , Ptolies, and Saka get ruled out as I feel they offer just slight variations on themes I've already played (intermediate power struggle, big vs big, and steppe experience), Saba is gone since it is basically "Here's the Arabian peninsula. Enjoy the waves of phalanxes you will be seeing!" which, if you manage to play long enough, will be basically you turning into a Successor-Lite depending on the direction of expansion, Casse for a similar reason (its Gauls but with a worse overall lineup), and Luso because I don't see much of a unique challenge in their unit roster vs Carthage, Rome, and the Gauls, plus Iberia is full of rich mines that would fund a grand army quickly. It also is likely my playing style that rules them out as ambushing is just not very fun in TW games (the engine is designed for set-piece battles) and I am prone to suffering phalanx fatigue when I don't play as a hellenic faction.
    Of course, that still leaves the two options that still intrigue me, Getai and Baktria. here's why for each:
    For Baktria, it is mainly b/c I have never really had a chance to use Indian units, and their unit roster (regionals + native) seems to offer enough variety that I can use a variety of tactics to achieve victory. Its downside, however, is the inevitable clash with the AS, though from my experiences with the Pahlava that's not really a bad thing as an emerging empire on their eastern front.
    For Getai, it is also the uniqueness of their unit roster that intrigues me. The Western Hellenes are not nearly as phalanx-heavy unless I sit around and let them develop and the clash of fighting styles intrigues me. The downside is that unless I pull a really fast blitz it likely is going to be a phalanx-heavy land, but at least the Balkans are a much smaller and easily defended land mass than anything to the east.
    So which should it be? Should I play as the furthest Hellenes on the map or the "barbarians" just north of the Hellenic homeland? Or should I take an EB break for a bit and recharge?
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Default Re: What's next?

The Saka are a very different steppe experience. You have to fight the AS, but you don't get the awesome economic reforms that Pahlava gets, nor the quick access to mines. However, you do get some nice infantry after taking some Seleukid lands...
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

EB break?
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    The Saka are a very different steppe experience. You have to fight the AS, but you don't get the awesome economic reforms that Pahlava gets, nor the quick access to mines. However, you do get some nice infantry after taking some Seleukid lands...
    Meh I don't see how they are notably THAT different from the Sauro, since both can get decent infantry with allied govs in the right places, and the Sauro VC requires you to eviscerate the AS. If I had to rank the DIFFICULTY of the steppe factions it would go Saka>Sauro>Pahlava.
    Balloons:

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Well, if it has to be one of the two, then go for Getai.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

I would say you go for Baktria. Excellent units, excellent position and many, many possibilities of expansion.

Maion
    ~Maion

*joke grumpiness* you guys aren't making this easy on me ya know bu keeping the two factions close in the voting.
    Balloons:

And now its a dead heat...
    Balloons:

Go for Baktria. Ive got one campaign with Baktria going at the mo and I cant get enough of it.
    Phalanxes with great eastern archers, hellenic cataphracts, indian units, probably the most varied line up ever. Plenty of mines in the area to support said units. And the area they start in as a whole is just so interesting, greeks on the edge of the known world at a crossroads of eastern, greek and indian culture; almost romantic.

Well it looks like Baktria is beginning to pull away, unless things change they will be my next campaign post-Super Bowl, followed by the Getai.
    Balloons:

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

I vote Baktria... because I want to see if they really are the most hated faction in the game.

I'd be interested in the Getai too because I'm going to make one of my own soon. Should be interesting for comparison.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Well if I had to guess as to "most hated", I'd have to say the AS wins hands-down, and the Ptolies are a distant second (though first if you are a Roman fanboy like me and always get tired of the eventual perpetual war against a Yellow death).
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 01-31-2009 at 01:14.
    Balloons:

Well with less than a day to go I'm going to go with the consensus: Baktria, then Getai.
    Balloons:

Do what I do whenever I start a new campaign:

First, give each faction a number:
    1.Aedui
    2.Casse
    3.Koinon
    4.Lusotannon
    5.Saba
    6.Averni
    7.Sweboz
    8.Getai
    9.Seluecia
    10.Makedonia
    11.Carthage
    12.Romani
    13.Bactria
    14.Parthia
    15.Hayasdan
    16.Saka
    17.Ptolmies
    18.Pontos
    19.Sarmatia
    20.Epeiros

Then Go Here

Chooses a faction for you randomly. :P

(Someone should make a program that randomly chooses a faction and a random goal and maybe some other random stuff so when you ran the program it'd give you something like

"Lusotannon
    -Form a Mediterranean trade empire stretching from Iberia to Antiochea"
    -Calvary Based"

)
    Last edited by Rilder; 02-02-2009 at 09:20.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
    Do what I do whenever I start a new campaign:

First, give each faction a number:
    1.Aedui
    2.Casse
    3.Koinon
    4.Lusotannon
    5.Saba
    6.Averni
    7.Sweboz
    8.Getai
    9.Seluecia
    10.Makedonia
    11.Carthage
    12.Romani
    13.Bactria
    14.Parthia
    15.Hayasdan
    16.Saka
    17.Ptolmies
    18.Pontos
    19.Sarmatia
    20.Epeiros

Then Go Here

Chooses a faction for you randomly. :P

(Someone should make a program that randomly chooses a faction and a random goal and maybe some other random stuff so when you ran the program it'd give you something like

"Lusotannon
    -Form a Mediterranean trade empire stretching from Iberia to Antiochea"
    -Calvary Based"
    i support this

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I vote Getai.

you just gotta love the falx dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?