Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Post your Steam questions here!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Post your Steam questions here!

Download steam here

http://store.steampowered.com/

It is a separate program that several games require you to have in order to play them. ETW can be bought in a store or downloaded from steam, but you always need steam running in order to play it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi pevergreen

You wrote, "No more waiting 4 months to get shields at the right defence value."

So you perfectly illustrate my point for me: CA-Sega's patching/support for M2TW was disgusting. Thank you.

Also, A Very Super Market wrote, "ETW can be bought in a store or downloaded from steam, but you always need steam running in order to play it."

This is my understanding. Plus, I am under the impression that patches will only be available via Steam. Unacceptable.

And a 100 MB patch on the first day(!) according to some accounts. Shades of things to come. I recall reading people saying 'we don't mind ETW's release date being put back (as it was) provided they get it right'. Well clearly they didn't. And their past performance gives no grounds for believing they'll fix everything that should be sorted out. Remember the castles in Kingdoms? They've got your money so now they don't care.

As for Steam not being a malware delivery system, Google steam and malware and see what gets returned.

Despite all of which, best of luck.
    VGB

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorgb View Post
    VGB
    Yea, you too.
    "Après moi le déluge"

It won't let me play online it never shows any games and when i try to host one it says that i can't any ideas why? and sometimes when i click the steam mini symbol my taskbar says it's up but it's not any ideas why?
    Last of the Romans - Efthymios ek Sparteos

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miniwally View Post
    It won't let me play online it never shows any games and when i try to host one it says that i can't any ideas why? and sometimes when i click the steam mini symbol my taskbar says it's up but it's not any ideas why?
    What would you say is the quality of your internet. Is it broad-band or dial-up? I'm pretty sure other steam games don't work online with the latter connection type.
    Last edited by Relic; 03-05-2009 at 21:32.

I have 2 questions:

1) Does Steam auto-update this game? As in, you can't play it unless you have the latest patch installed?

2) What happens if you're in the middle of a campaign and a patch is available? If it's auto downloaded and it dl's during a campaign you have saved, is it save game friendly?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by victorgb View Post
    Hi pevergreen

You wrote, "No more waiting 4 months to get shields at the right defence value."

So you perfectly illustrate my point for me: CA-Sega's patching/support for M2TW was disgusting. Thank you.

Also, A Very Super Market wrote, "ETW can be bought in a store or downloaded from steam, but you always need steam running in order to play it."

This is my understanding. Plus, I am under the impression that patches will only be available via Steam. Unacceptable.

And a 100 MB patch on the first day(!) according to some accounts. Shades of things to come. I recall reading people saying 'we don't mind ETW's release date being put back (as it was) provided they get it right'. Well clearly they didn't. And their past performance gives no grounds for believing they'll fix everything that should be sorted out. Remember the castles in Kingdoms? They've got your money so now they don't care.

As for Steam not being a malware delivery system, Google steam and malware and see what gets returned.

VGB
    What do you care if you have to patch the game or not?

Day 1 patches are a good sign, not a bad sign. They signal long term support.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArtillerySmoke View Post
    I have 2 questions:

1) Does Steam auto-update this game? As in, you can't play it unless you have the latest patch installed?

2) What happens if you're in the middle of a campaign and a patch is available? If it's auto downloaded and it dl's during a campaign you have saved, is it save game friendly?

Thanks.
    1) Yes, but only if you go online while Steam is running.

2) CA would be stupid not to make patches save game friendly, but I can't confirm it.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    1) Yes, but only if you go online while Steam is running.

2) CA would be stupid not to make patches save game friendly, but I can't confirm it.
    1) I'm always connected to the internet when the PC is on. Right now (computer off, power cord unplugged due to cleaning the room) is the first time I've been offline since I got the PC over a year ago lol.

2) You see what I'm saying though? If the game is auto patched, it HAS to be save game friendly. It would be insanity to have campaigns abandoned left and right due to an oversight.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtillerySmoke View Post
    1) I'm always connected to the internet when the PC is on. Right now (computer off, power cord unplugged due to cleaning the room) is the first time I've been offline since I got the PC over a year ago lol.

2) You see what I'm saying though? If the game is auto patched, it HAS to be save game friendly. It would be insanity to have campaigns abandoned left and right due to an oversight.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.
    Yeah I can definitely see the problem with the game patching itself in the middle of a campaign. This is such an important issue I'm sure CA have thought about it however .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Yeah I can definitely see the problem with the game patching itself in the middle of a campaign. This is such an important issue I'm sure CA have thought about it however .
    Thanks for the quick replies Beane...you rock.

Yeah, my gut tells me we'll be alright. If not, it's something we'll all deal with and it'll be patched ASAP I'm sure.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Umm...I doubt that as the vaunted Steam is a bug ridden mess. Read the forums. MANY users have issues with the digital d/l completing properly. Amazing really as this should be fairly basic stuff.

If I knew this was going to such an ordeal I would have bought retail.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    Umm...I doubt that as the vaunted Steam is a bug ridden mess. Read the forums. MANY users have issues with the digital d/l completing properly. Amazing really as this should be fairly basic stuff.

The people having trouble are an unlucky and vocal minority. I think that the majority of people had a smooth download and install. It seriously sucks for the unlucky ones though, and I wish Valve would do something to fix it. A certain number of problems are almost inevitable in a release of this scale however .

I'm way too paranoid not to buy retail.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 03-06-2009 at 00:40.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post

I always know that d/l'ing a title has a chance to be a force march...therefore, I would never do anything other than buy the retail disc.

I need it physically. I just don't trust the d/l process. Further, you can uninstall and reinstall in minutes with the disc. D/L? Who knows.

The people having trouble ARE an unlucky and vocal minority. I think that the majority of people had a smooth download and install. It seriously sucks for the unlucky ones though, and I wish Valve would do something to fix it. A certain number of problems are almost inevitable in a release of this scale however .

I'm way too paranoid not to buy retail.
    I have OCD. No wonder I like your posts.

I have one for Steam.

How much did you pay CA to have them force people to use your pointless spyware infested program to play such an awesome game?

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Steam doesn't have to autoupdate - somewhere in the options there is a little box that you can uncheck, turning off autoupdates. It works that way for Red Orchestra, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    I have one for Steam.

How much did you pay CA to have them force people to use your pointless spyware infested program to play such an awesome game?
    What do you think this "spyware" is doing? Watching you while you take a shower?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Ahem.

There is a word underneath his name

It says Troll
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Ahem.

There is a word underneath his name

It says Troll
    That's just there as a joke from an incident that happened on the Medieval 1 forum a year back or so, with a mod who obviously hasn't been laid in a few years and was looking for somebody to take out his frustration on.

Seriously though, i have managed to avoid Steam for so long now because of the general horribleness and the way they conduct business, and now i'm forced to use it to play a game from a series i have been in love with for over 5 years, and i'm angry because it's clear Steam have paid CA to do this, because CA can't give 1 single good reason for going through Steam, just the same ridiculous ones over and over. Achievements, a friends list, software protection, which won't work by the way.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Heres a reason:

Its not secuROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi

ArtillerySmoke wrote, "What do you care if you have to patch the game or not?

Day 1 patches are a good sign, not a bad sign. They signal long term support."

Unfortunately, that statement cannot be squared with the M2TW and Kingdoms experience. Paying customers had to fight a WAR to get ADVERTISED features to work AS PROMISED.

Please do not misunderstand me: I really do want ETW to be as great a game, or better, than MTW-VI. But it never will be as long as people give CA-SEGA a pass on decent customer support and product quality. All the gushing praise will simply affirm their complacency and bolster their contempt for their fan base.

And I'll never be convinced that a 100MB patch ON DAY 1 can be construed as a good sign. Especially when the scheduled release date has been put back.

OK. I've said my piece. I'll shut up now before I'm banned.

Best of luck
    VGB

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    What would you say is the quality of your internet. Is it broad-band or dial-up? I'm pretty sure other steam games don't work online with the latter connection type.
    it's broadband :'( i really want to play online but i can't and how do i chat?
    Last edited by miniwally; 03-06-2009 at 18:05.
    Last of the Romans - Efthymios ek Sparteos

I have another question:

I bought the Collector's Edition and apparently have 6 exotic units included. According to some, I have to register these units with Steam in order to unlock them.

Do I have to do this right at initial install, or can I play a bit and then go back and register the exotic units to unlock them, any time I want?

Thanks

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How do I get Steam to start in offline mode? Whenever I try it, I get two windows, one on top of the other. The rear one says "This operation cannot be completed when Steam is in offline mode." And the one in front of it says

"Could not connect to Steam Network.
    This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the
    Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info."

Blog Entries

File "Go Offline..."

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Huh. So you have to have Steam go online in order to be able to use it offline.

Oh well, thanks pevergreen.

Blog Entries

When you login, there may be an option to select offline mode.

Not sure, I auto login.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Well...I had steam because I got the demo last week, and I was going to uninstall Steam thereafter.

When I bought ETW and came home to install it I noticed it uses steam for activation so all that went smooth and all.

However this makes me wonder...

What about people that do not have the Internet(yes it exists still even today)? They can't play this game?
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Blog Entries

Correct, they must have steam connect, activate the game and install the release day patch, then they can play offline.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast