Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

I do not have the origional arabic, but I figured this is of interest:

'"Animals engage in a struggle for existence; for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed. Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to offspring."

al-jahith, book of animals.

I attach this, as it summs up EB nicely: change, adapt, or be conquered
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Glory lies not in never failing but in standing up each time you fall.

Maybe in the future i will loose a battle but never a minute. Napoleon.

Foolish claims that they learn with their experience. I'd rather advantage from others experience. Bismark.

Strategy: the practice orientation of all means available to a general in success of a specific target. Moltke.

Leadership is the art of putting someone you want to be done because he want's to do it. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Love the responsibility. Say: Me, me on my own I have the duty to save Earth. In case she is not safe I will be responsible. Nikos Kazantzakis-Salvatores Dei.

Um, Niko, we're really looking for material germane to the Hellenistic Era, not any quote from any general at any time. But thanks for having a go, maybe you could look through Herodotus or something?
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

"Depositis autem operibus et machinamentis, quorum expleta iam pridem inventione nullam video ultra artium materiam."

A very rough translation: "Abandoning all considerations of works and engines of war, the invention of which has long since reached its limit, and the improvement of which I can see no further hope in the art."

-Frontinus, Strategemata, Book III, AD 90.
    Last edited by penguinking; 03-14-2009 at 05:32. Reason: Added better citation
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Penguinking, I like that one a lot: do you have a more complete citation?

Ibrahim, I'm eager to have some non-Graeco-Roman sources, but the quotes still have to fit into the general framework, i.e. relating to the period and people. If we take in quotes from a later time, they're still going to have to relate to the game somehow. Do you know of any early Arabic histories of the EB period? That kind of thing would be worth considering, or something like;

And surely I recollected you, even when the lances were drinking my blood,
    and bright swords of Indian make were dripping with my blood.
    The Poem of Antar
    Otherwise we have to look in Herodotus and Strabo for possible quotes, i.e.;
    Mariaba, the capital of the Sabaeans, is situated upon a mountain, well wooded. A king resides there, who determines absolutely all disputes and other matters; but he is forbidden to leave his palace, or if he does so, the rabble immediately assail him with stones, according to the direction of an oracle.
    Strabo, Geography,XVI.iv.19
    Augustus Caesar's...intention [was] either to conciliate or subdue the Arabians...He hoped to acquire either opulent friends, or to overcome opulent enemies.
    Strabo, Geography, XVI.iv.22
    The Nabataeans are prudent, and fond of accumulating property.
    Strabo, Geography, XVI.iv.26

I'm surprised that no-one has put up Xenophon's most famous quote: I copied the whole passage as it's well worth reading (the quote will be shorter)

καὶ ἀφικνοῦνται ἐπὶ τὸ ὄρος τῇ πέμπτῃ ἡμέρᾳ: ὄνομα δὲ τῷ ὄρει ἦν Θήχης. ἐπεὶ δὲ οἱ πρῶτοι ἐγένοντο ἐπὶ τοῦ ὄρους καὶ κατεῖδον τὴν θάλατταν, κραυγὴ πολλὴ ἐγένετο. [22] ἀκούσας δὲ ὁ Ξενοφῶν καὶ οἱ ὀπισθοφύλακες ᾠήθησαν ἔμπροσθεν ἄλλους ἐπιτίθεσθαι πολεμίους: εἵποντο γὰρ ὄπισθεν ἐκ τῆς καιομένης χώρας, καὶ αὐτῶν οἱ ὀπισθοφύλακες ἀπέκτεινάν τέ τινας καὶ ἐζώγρησαν ἐνέδραν ποιησάμενοι, καὶ γέρρα ἔλαβον δασειῶν βοῶν ὠμοβόεια ἀμφὶ τὰ εἴκοσιν. [23] ἐπειδὴ δὲ βοὴ πλείων τε ἐγίγνετο καὶ ἐγγύτερον καὶ οἱ ἀεὶ ἐπιόντες ἔθεον δρόμῳ ἐπὶ τοὺς ἀεὶ βοῶντας καὶ πολλῷ μείζων ἐγίγνετο ἡ βοὴ ὅσῳ δὴ πλείους ἐγίγνοντο+, [24] ἐδόκει δὴ μεῖζόν τι εἶναι τῷ Ξενοφῶντι, καὶ ἀναβὰς ἐφ' ἵππον καὶ Λύκιον καὶ τοὺς ἱππέας ἀναλαβὼν παρεβοήθει: καὶ τάχα δὴ ἀκούουσι βοώντων τῶν στρατιωτῶν θάλαττα θάλαττα καὶ παρεγγυώντων. ἔνθα δὴ ἔθεον πάντες καὶ οἱ ὀπισθοφύλακες, καὶ τὰ ὑποζύγια ἠλαύνετο καὶ οἱ ἵπποι. [25] ἐπεὶ δὲ ἀφίκοντο πάντες ἐπὶ τὸ ἄκρον, ἐνταῦθα δὴ περιέβαλλον ἀλλήλους καὶ στρατηγοὺς καὶ λοχαγοὺς δακρύοντες. καὶ ἐξαπίνης ὅτου δὴ παρεγγυήσαντος οἱ στρατιῶται φέρουσι λίθους καὶ ποιοῦσι κολωνὸν μέγαν.

kai aphiknountai epi to oros têi pemptêi hêmerai: onoma de tôi orei ên Thêchês. epei de hoi prôtoi egenonto epi tou orous kai kateidon tên thalattan, kraugê pollê egeneto. [22] akousas de ho Xenophôn kai hoi opisthophulakes ôiêthêsan emprosthen allous epitithesthai polemious: heiponto gar opisthen ek tês kaiomenês chôras, kai autôn hoi opisthophulakes apekteinan te tinas kai ezôgrêsan enedran poiêsamenoi, kai gerra elabon daseiôn boôn ômoboeia amphi ta eikosin. [23] epeidê de boê pleiôn te egigneto kai enguteron kai hoi aei epiontes etheon dromôi epi tous aei boôntas kai pollôi meizôn egigneto hê boê hosôi dê pleious egignonto+, [24] edokei dê meizon ti einai tôi Xenophônti, kai anabas eph' hippon kai Lukion kai tous hippeas analabôn pareboêthei: kai tacha dê akouousi boôntôn tôn stratiôtôn thalatta thalatta kai parenguôntôn. entha dê etheon pantes kai hoi opisthophulakes, kai ta hupozugia êlauneto kai hoi hippoi. [25] epei de aphikonto pantes epi to akron, entautha dê perieballon allêlous kai stratêgous kai lochagous dakruontes. kai exapinês hotou dê parenguêsantos hoi stratiôtai pherousi lithous kai poiousi kolônon megan.

On the fifth day they did in fact reach the mountain; its name was Theches. Now as soon as the vanguard got to the top of the mountain, a great shout went up. [22] And when Xenophon and the rearguard heard it, they imagined that other enemies were attacking in front; for enemies were following behind them from the district that was in flames, and the rearguard had killed some of them and captured others by setting an ambush, and had also taken about twenty wicker shields covered with raw, shaggy ox-hides. [23] But as the shout kept getting louder and nearer, as the successive ranks that came up all began to run at full speed toward the ranks ahead that were one after another joining in the shout, and as the shout kept growing far louder as the number of men grew steadily greater, it became quite clear to Xenophon that here was something of unusual importance; [24] so he mounted a horse, took with him Lycius and the cavalry, and pushed ahead to lend aid; and in a moment they heard the soldiers shouting, “The Sea! The Sea!” and passing the word along. Then all the troops of the rearguard likewise broke into a run, and the pack animals began racing ahead and the horses. [25] And when all had reached the summit, then indeed they fell to embracing one another, and generals and captains as well, with tears in their eyes. And on a sudden, at the bidding of some one or other, the soldiers began to bring stones and to build a great cairn.

...They heard the soldiers shouting, "The Sea! The Sea!"...and when all had reached the summit, then indeed they fell to embracing one another, and generals and captains as well, with tears in their eyes.
    Xenophon, Anabasis, 4.7.21-25
    ταῦτα ἔδοξε, καὶ ἐποίουν ὀρθίους τοὺς λόχους. Ξενοφῶν δὲ ἀπιὼν ἐπὶ τὸ εὐώνυμον ἀπὸ τοῦ δεξιοῦ ἔλεγε τοῖς στρατιώταις: ἄνδρες, οὗτοί εἰσιν οὓς ὁρᾶτε μόνοι ἔτι ἡμῖν ἐμποδὼν τὸ μὴ ἤδη εἶναι ἔνθα πάλαι σπεύδομεν: τούτους, ἤν πως δυνώμεθα, καὶ ὠμοὺς δεῖ καταφαγεῖν.
    tauta edoxe, kai epoioun orthious tous lochous. Xenophôn de apiôn epi to euônumon apo tou dexiou elege tois stratiôtais: andres, houtoi eisin hous horate monoi eti hêmin empodôn to mê êdê einai entha palai speudomen: toutous, ên pôs dunômetha, kai ômous dei kataphagein.
    This plan was decided upon, and they proceeded to form the companies in column. And as Xenophon was going back from the right wing to the left, he said to the troops: “Soldiers, these men yonder whom you see are the only ones who still stand in the way of our being forthwith at the place we have long been striving to reach; if we possibly can, we must simply eat these fellows raw.”
    Xenophon, Anabasis, 4.8.14
    εἴς γε μὴν τὸ εὐπειθεῖς εἶναι τοὺς ἀρχομένους μέγα μὲν τὸ [καὶ] λόγῳ διδάσκειν ὅσα ἀγαθὰ ἔνι ἐν τῷ πειθαρχεῖν, μέγα δὲ καὶ τὸ ἔργῳ [κατὰ τὸν νόμον] πλεονεκτεῖν μὲν ποιεῖν τοὺς εὐτάκτους, μειονεκτεῖν δὲ ἐν πᾶσι τοὺς ἀτακτοῦντας.
    To make the men who are under your command obedient, it is important to impress on them by word of mouth the many advantages of obedience to authority, and no less important to see that good discipline brings gain and insubordination loss in every respect.
    Xenophon, The Cavalry Commander, 1.1.24
    καὶ κατασκόπων δὲ πρὶν πόλεμον εἶναι δεῖ μεμεληκέναι
    You must also have taken steps to enlist the services of spies before the outbreak of war.
    Xenophon, The Cavalry Commander, 4.1.7

ΔΕΞΑ (Dexa) - "Take that" or "Catch" an inscription found on a 4th century BC sling bullet from Athens in the British Museum, Upper floor, Room 69, Greece and Rome: Daily Life
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Think "Take that" is the more accurate translation but "Catch" is more funnier
    Also read as ΔΕΞΑΙ (Dexai) in Foss, Clive. "A Bullet of Tissaphernes." The Journal of Hellenic Studies, 95, 25-30. 1975.

An update on how we're doing:

ca. 25 new Latin quotes
    ca. 60 new Greek quotes
    ca. 25 new quotes from other sources
    maybe 10 old quotes with new source citations (about 100 left to go...).

So any relavent non-Graeco-Roman quotes would be great great great! But post whatever you find if you thinks it's good.

Can anyone find a Greek text for Plutarch's Sayings of Kings and Commanders? Online or otherwise?

Lost between books & coins Member DeathFinger's Avatar

Default Re : The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

http://remacle.org/bloodwolf/histori...esgeneraux.htm

The translation is in french but you can use english translation here
    http://www.attalus.org/old/sayings1.html

Smile Re : The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

One Bactrian quote, for once.

It's an extract of the poeme of Sophytôs' stele, found in Kandahar, and dated circa II century BC. The poem speaks about a called Sophytôs (who is not the maybe-king Sophytôs whom we have found some coins in this area), whose house was destroyed "by the Moires" (Μοιρων), and so he decided to use all the skills he has to accumulate a vast fortune to rebuild it.

This passage is interesting:

ως ἀρετην Εκατου Mουσεων τ'ησ(κ)ηκα σuν εσθλῄ
    φuptηv σωφpoσuvηι, (t)ηµoς επεφpασαµηv
    uψωσαιµι κε πως µεγαpov παtpoιov αuθις

"having cultivated the talent of the Archer and Muses
    united with a noble wisdom, then I think
    how to raise well above the house of my father again"

What's interesting is that whe have a native (his name is not greek) who appropriates greek gods and even maybe greek way of thinking because he speaks about Muses and Apollon ("the Archer"). What destroyed the hosue of his father is not develloped; "the Moires" is a way to tell about a stroke of fate imparable; maybe a war?

Especially, rare thing, it's a Bactrian source ^^

Deathfinger, well done indeed. And quickly too! Je vous remercie.

De rien ^^

I've used this website to find greek quotes about Scythians kings so... ^^

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ΔΕΞΑ (Dexa) - "Take that" or "Catch" an inscription found on a 4th century BC sling bullet from Athens in the British Museum, Upper floor, Room 69, Greece and Rome: Daily Life
    Talk about finding the funny... that made my day!

I'd like to add some more Getai quotes, but I'm having trouble finding reliable sources.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Oudysseos sorry for not writting quotes from the hellenistic period.
    It will be fixed ASASP. Now allow me to dedicate a few phrases to all EB companions.

If A=success then the equalization goes A=X+Y+Z. Wher X work, Y game and Z keeping your mouth closed...Albert Einstein

World is devited in two. People who does thigs and those who are payed for them(any resemblance between EB and RTW just occured) Dwight Morroe.

I make review by creating not finding mistakes. Michelangelo

Head without memory, place with out guard. Napoleon

Segui il tuo corso et lascia dir le genti. Strike your roαd and let the others saying. Dante Alighiery Holy comedy

Now back at work

Glory follows virtue like her shadow.Kikeron(I think Cicero in Latins)

Oh my soul do not seek eternal life but just purpose what you can achive. Pindar 3rd Pithionik-3
    Ω ψυχή μου μη ζητάς αθάνατη ζωή, αλλ'επιδίωκε μονάχα οτι να κατορθωσεις μπορείς.

Our democracy is self-destructed because she abused the right of freedom and equality, because she teached citizens to account audacity as right, ilegality as freedom,cheekiness of speach as equality and anarchy as blessedness. ISOKRATIS

Η δημοκρατία μας αυτοκαταστρέφεται διοτι κατεχράσθη το δικαίωμα της ελευθερίας και της ισότητας, διοτι έμαθε τους πολίτες να θεωρούν την αυθάδεια ως δικαίωμα, την παρανομία ως ελευθερία, την ανάιδια λόγου ως ισότητα και την αναρχία ως ευδαιμονία(Ισοκράτης)

KERAVNOS PLEASE CHECK THIS TRANSLATION FROM GREEK TO ENGLISH IS IT RIGHT???

I will be back tomorrow.
    keep on the great job companions.

Love the responsibility. Say: Me, me on my own I have the duty to save Earth. In case she is not safe I will be responsible. Nikos Kazantzakis-Salvatores Dei.

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

But before he [Darius] came to the Danube, he first conquered the Getai, who believe in immortality: for the Thracians who occupy Salmydessos and are settled above the cities of Apollonia and Mesambria, the Kyrmianai and the Nipsaioi surrendered to Darius without fighting; but the Getai, the bravest and most upright in their dealings of all the people of Thrace, always obstinate, had to be subdued by force.
    Herodotus Book 4 (Melpomene) 93
    πρὶν δὲ ἀπικέσθαι ἐπὶ τὸν Ἴστρον, πρώτους αἱρέει Γέτας τοὺς ἀθανατίζοντας. οἱ μὲν γὰρ τὸν Σαλμυδησσὸν ἔχοντες Θρήικες καὶ ὑπὲρ Ἀπολλωνίης τε καὶ Μεσαμβρίης πόλιος οἰκημένοι, καλεύμενοι δὲ Κυρμιάναι καὶ Νιψαῖοι, ἀμαχητὶ σφέας αὐτοὺς παρέδοσαν Δαρείῳ· οἱ δὲ Γέται πρὸς ἀγνωμοσύνην τραπόμενοι αὐτίκα ἐδουλώθησαν, Θρηίκων ἐόντες ἀνδρηιότατοι καὶ δικαιότατοι.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ΔΕΞΑ (Dexa) - "Take that" or "Catch" an inscription found on a 4th century BC sling bullet from Athens in the British Museum
    Nice! Also, here's a link to the above.

I Am Herenow

Histories in Arabic?

that will actually be difficult to get a hold of. I have some Tabari, jahith and Ibn Khaldun, but what I have are fragments, and many do not provide much on history (the one tabari fragment I have is the part he says he bears no resposibility for any wrong info; jahth is advocating black superiority (he was an African Arab-he had issues with most Arabs), and Ibn Khaldun is discussing 3asabiyya, and how history works on a business cycle model

the Arabic Forums and searches do not help, as Arabs are on Average very careless about what they post on line; as the old saying goes, "kullun 3inda al-3arab saboon"*...It does not help that the great library I used to have was left behind in Kuwait..so many books, so much information lost

that said, I shall double my search for sources in Arabic. perhaps if I get lucky, I will get a graphic description of a sassanid or byzanrtine defeat, those are easiest to get a hold of these days (1:10,000 chance of obtaining genuine info on them)...more valuable pre islamic stuff will be even more lucky.

*everything to the Arabs is soap..
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 03-12-2009 at 18:41.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

About Yuezhei:

"(...)Later, the chanyu Laoshang of Xiongnu killed the Yuezhei's king, and he turned his head to drink a cup.(...)After their defeat against the Xiongnu, they went away, and crossing the [Da]yuan, at the West they attacked the Daxia and submitted it."
    Sima Qian, Shiji, Chapter CXXIII, 3161-3162

About the original text....hm.... the extract is somewhere in this page (Chapter CXXIII, good luck xD)
    http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...i%2Fsj_123.htm

The chanyu is the king-like of the Xiongnu, and it seems that "Daxia" seems to be in fact Bactria and South-Sogdiana

There's juicy anecdotes about Xiongnu but they don't appear in EB, except if i'm wrong ^^

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    Penguinking, I like that one a lot: do you have a more complete citation?

It's from book III of the Strategemata.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Don't know if it is already in this thread (didn't plan to read it all):

Imperare sibi maximum imperium est
    To rule yourself is the ultimate power
    Epistulae morales ad Lucilium 113, 30
    Last edited by DionCaesar; 03-15-2009 at 17:22.
    Imperare sibi maximvm imperivm est

» Κῦρος δὲ ταῦτα ἀκούσας καὶ οὐ θωμάσας τὸν λόγον ἐκέλευε ποιέειν ταῦτα, οὕτω δὲ αὐτοῖσι παραίνεε κελεύων παρασκευάζεσθαι ὡς οὐκέτι ἄρξοντας ἀλλ᾽ ἀρξομένους· φιλέειν γὰρ ἐκ τῶν μαλακῶν χώρων μαλακοὺς γίνεσθαι· οὐ γὰρ τι τῆς αὐτῆς γῆς εἶναι καρπόν τε θωμαστὸν φύειν καὶ ἄνδρας ἀγαθοὺς τὰ πολέμια.

Cyrus, hearing this and not being surprised at the proposal, bade them do so if they would; but he exhorted them and bade them prepare in that case to be no longer rulers but subjects; "For," said he, "from lands which are not rugged men who are not rugged are apt to come forth, since it does not belong to the same land to bring forth fruits of the earth which are admirable and also men who are good in war."

Herodotus History Book 9 chapter 122 line 3.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hh/hh9120.htm

One of my favourite quotes from Herodotus but I can't tell where the bolded bit begins in the original Greek. Its alright to include Herodotus isn't it? he was widely read back in them days even if he belonged to an earlier age.

This regular use of quotes is an attractive feature, I recall similar (in fact many of the same) quotes on the event cards in that excellent boardgame "Successors".
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

"His white head and grey beard breathing out his strong soul in the dust, holding in his dear hands his groin all bloody" - Tyrtaeus.

This appears to be the author's own translation, and the only reference is 10. 24-25, but I would love to see this quote in EB2. Even if you retranslate it.

Desert, I gots that one. If you like it, go to Perseus and read Lycurgus, 'Against Leocrates'. The whole poem is at line 107 or so. Lycurgus didn't write it: he's quoting the Spartan Tyrtaeus. It's worth looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOMAHOS View Post
    Oudysseos sorry for not writting quotes from the hellenistic period.
    It will be fixed ASASP. Now allow me to dedicate a few phrases to all EB companions.

If A=success then the equalization goes A=X+Y+Z. Wher X work, Y game and Z keeping your mouth closed...Albert Einstein

World is devited in two. People who does thigs and those who are payed for them(any resemblance between EB and RTW just occured) Dwight Morroe.

I make review by creating not finding mistakes. Michelangelo

Head without memory, place with out guard. Napoleon

Segui il tuo corso et lascia dir le genti. Strike your roαd and let the others saying. Dante Alighiery Holy comedy

Now back at work

Glory follows virtue like her shadow.Kikeron(I think Cicero in Latins)

Oh my soul do not seek eternal life but just purpose what you can achive. Pindar 3rd Pithionik-3
    Ω ψυχή μου μη ζητάς αθάνατη ζωή, αλλ'επιδίωκε μονάχα οτι να κατορθωσεις μπορείς.

Our democracy is self-destructed because she abused the right of freedom and equality, because she teached citizens to account audacity as right, ilegality as freedom,cheekiness of speach as equality and anarchy as blessedness. ISOKRATIS

Η δημοκρατία μας αυτοκαταστρέφεται διοτι κατεχράσθη το δικαίωμα της ελευθερίας και της ισότητας, διοτι έμαθε τους πολίτες να θεωρούν την αυθάδεια ως δικαίωμα, την παρανομία ως ελευθερία, την ανάιδια λόγου ως ισότητα και την αναρχία ως ευδαιμονία(Ισοκράτης)

KERAVNOS PLEASE CHECK THIS TRANSLATION FROM GREEK TO ENGLISH IS IT RIGHT???

I will be back tomorrow.
    keep on the great job companions.
    The problem is that you write in modern greek, whereas the stated goal is to have the ancient greek language of the time.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

I'll look up some Persian quotes, I'll post later.
    Strikeout!

So my post up there was unnecessary.

Oh well. I'l just put this version up anyway.

Guard the old.
    For shame it is to see an elder fall,
    Down in the forefront, smitten in the strife,
    Before the youths, with grey beard, hair grown white,
    To breathe out in the dust his valiant life,
    Clasping his bloody groin with clinging hands,
    (Fit sight indeed to kindle wrath and shame!)
    His body bared.

Lycurgus, quoting Tyrtaeus in Against Leocrates, 107: 20-27

I'll leave it to you to extract the Greek equivalent: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...107#note-link3

ἐς τὰ ἐπὶ θάτερά τε τοῦ ποταμοῦ παραστάντες οἱ Συρακόσιοι(ἦν δὲ κρημνῶδες) ἔβαλλον ἄνωθεν τοὺς Ἀθηναίους, πίνοντάς τε τοὺς πολλοὺς ἀσμένους καὶ ἐν κοίλῳ ὄντι τῷ ποταμῷ ἐν σφίσιν αὐτοῖς ταρασσομένους. οἵ τε Πελοποννήσιοι ἐπικαταβάντες τοὺς ἐν τῷ ποταμῷ μάλιστα ἔσφαζον. καὶ τὸ ὕδωρ εὐθὺς διέφθαρτο, ἀλλ᾽ οὐδὲν ἧσσον ἐπίνετό τε ὁμοῦ τῷ πηλῷ ᾑματωμένον καὶ περιμάχητον ἦν τοῖς πολλοῖς.

The Syracusans stood upon the further bank of the river, which was steep, and hurled missiles from above on the Athenians, who were huddled together in the deep bed of the stream and for the most part were drinking greedily. The Peloponnesians came down the bank and slaughtered them, falling chiefly upon those who were in the river. Whereupon the water at once became foul, but was drunk all the same, although muddy and dyed with blood, and the crowd fought for it.

Thuycidides, The History of the Peloponnesian War Book VII, Chapter 84, Lines 4-5

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

The accuracies of the following can be argued:

"Tell me, who are the Spartans?"
    --Cyrus the Great, according to Herodotus (kind of a premonition)

And my favorite (note that the exact wording varies, depending on the source):
    "O man, whoever you are and wherever you come from, for I know that you will come–I am Cyrus, who founded the Empire of the Persians and was king of the East. Do not begrudge me this spot of earth which covers my body.”
    I think this it Plutarch's version of the inscription. It's been weathered away over the centuries so we can't verify what it actually said (or if it even said anything).
    Strikeout!

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOMAHOS View Post
    That's not really a good translation, what that actually means is Continue on your path(keep on going) and let others do the talking. It's kinda hard to translate 'cause it's 11th century italian.
    But i have an old italian proverb my grandfather told me:"Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......
    Great job everyone!

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    That's not really a good translation, what that actually means is Continue on your path(keep on going) and let others do the talking. It's kinda hard to translate 'cause it's 14th century italian.
    :
    much better.

anyways, I finally found another poem, this one is much earlier than 550AD:

سلام في الصحيفة من لقيط إلى من بالجزيرة من إياد/بأن الليث كسرى قد أتاكم فلا يشغلكم سوق النقاد /أتاكم منهم ستون ألفاً يزجّون الكتائب كالجَراد /على حنق أتينكم فهذا أوان هلاككم كهلاك عاد

"peace in the scroll, from laqeet to whoever is at the jazeera from iyad/ that the lion, kisra (the persian shah), has come to you so do not be occupied by the money market/ he comes to you sixty thousand throwing** the battalions like the locusts/ on spite he comes to you, for this is the time for you to die the death of 3ad"

laqeet ibn ya3mur al-iyadiy, warning his tribe of an attack, c.380AD*.

I went here: http://adab.com/modules.php?name=Sh3...17&r=&start=30

where I got all the other poems.

**can be rendered "mustering". the languahe here is euphemistic.

I found a quote in an EB1 thread , in a post from Africanvs (#4), so the credit should be for him, but I liked it very much:
    " If you wish to command everyone, does it really follow that everyone should accept your slavery?" By Caratacus.

It also sound familiar, maybe it is n EB quote actually but anyway I hope it can make it, in the final selection.

Its already in, just worded slightly differently.
    "If Rome wishes to rule the world, does it follow that all others wish to be slaves?"
    King Caratacus, as quoted by Tacitus

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast