Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

OK, I'll have a look: the Greek miniscule works fine on the M2TW platform, and the length is ok as well. As I said, I had not tried this file on RTW.

One solution is for you to go into your quotes.txt file and edit the longer quotes. I'll do so but it will take me a while to post something as I am very busy in RL at the moment.

Anyone else having this problem? Could screen size/resolution have an impact?
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

I don't think it's a resolution problem, I have a widescreen monitor. It still goes off the screen!

Although now that I think about it, the problem *may* be on my end. A lot of the Sweboz trait names don't show properly for me in-game. I suspect it's because some accented vowels are just shown as question marks. When I first noticed this, I thought it was because RTW was incapable of reading the accented vowels of the Sweboz trait names and the Greek quotes... But does/did anyone else have a similar problem? Or is the font-recognition problem on my end? If so, what do I do to fix it?

RTW is quite capable of reading the lower 1K or so characters of the Basic Multilingual Plane; and RTW enforces fonts which support rendering of characters in the BMP more than sufficiently for the current EB descriptions.

Instead, chances are that you mucked up your descriptions by saving them using something else from UTF-16 encoding (for instance ASCII, which supports only 256 characters total and lacks the support for characters used in Sweboz trait descriptions etc.).
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

A Haidz runo runu, falh'k hedra ginnarunaz. Argiu hermalausz, ... weladauþe, saz þat brytz.
    Uþarba spa.
    "The secrets of mighty runes I've hidden here, powerful runes. The one who breaks this memorial will be eternally tormented by anger. Treacherous death shall see him.
    I foresee destruction."
    Inscripted curse on the Björketorp runestone, ca 500-700 AD.

Written in the elder futhark, and in Proto-Norse. It isn't that far from Proto-germanic, could be something?

I believe that is too far ahead of the EB timeframe.

"The noblest spirit is most strongly attracted by the love of glory"
    - Marcus Tullus Cicero

And the Classic, which surprisingly nobody posted...

"Lovely and honorable it is to die for one's country."
    - Horace, The Odes

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    RTW is quite capable of reading the lower 1K or so characters of the Basic Multilingual Plane; and RTW enforces fonts which support rendering of characters in the BMP more than sufficiently for the current EB descriptions.

Instead, chances are that you mucked up your descriptions by saving them using something else from UTF-16 encoding (for instance ASCII, which supports only 256 characters total and lacks the support for characters used in Sweboz trait descriptions etc.).
    Thanks for the tip! I'm using AlexEB and it's exactly as you said. The export_VnVs.txt which AlexEB provides mucked the accented vowels. So I switched it with the old one that EB proper provides - should solve the problem. I guess I'll make a note of it on the AlexEB thread.

So I guess font problems on my end aren't the cause of the problem for the Greek quotes. I looked at the quotes.txt. Notepad can't recognize the accented vowels, but as soon as I paste the quotes into word the vowels are rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsatia View Post
    I believe that is too far ahead of the EB timeframe.

"The noblest spirit is most strongly attracted by the love of glory"
    - Marcus Tullus Cicero

And the Classic, which surprisingly nobody posted...

"Lovely and honorable it is to die for one's country."
    - Horace, The Odes
    Nice, but could you please give the original Latin quote if possible and of course the source.
    That is what this thread is about after all (see first page).

--> - Never near Argos - <--

I know. I've been looking and I found latin and the source for one of the above.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.
    Lovely and honorable it is to die for one's country.
    - Horace, The Odes, Book III, Ode II, XIII

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Alsatia, oudysseos has already stated that including from 200 AD+ might be considered becouse of the lack of quotes from other languages that Latin and Greek

Ranja
    "Router"
    written on the Dahmsdorf lance, 3th-4th century(?)

Yes, and I like that last one, Smeel. Good stuff. Since I now have well over 200 quotes for EB2, I will provisionally include some later material, like Smeel's proto-norse, and some Irish triads: the thought being that with 200 contemporary, mostly Greek or Latin quotes, 2 or 3 others won't be unduly anachronistic. One of the problems with the older unsourced Celtic quotes was that there were lots and lots of them, giving an unbalanced impression during play.

Alsatia, that last post of yours is what we're looking for: correctly sourced (that quote was actually already in the old file, but with no citation). Thanks.

Smeel, do you have any more info on the Dahmsdorf lance?

Nothingmore than that it is gothic, and written in the elder futhark runes, therefore probably made before or during the christianization of the goths. Found in Dahmsdorf. I first saw it on this wiki-page [Link], but I haven't found much more about it. I google-translated a german page, and it seemed like the Blade has been lost. There are pictures that claims to be the blade.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Smeel; 05-17-2009 at 15:11.

Here's anther two I've found

a sententia dicenda amovebo, ad ulciscendi tempora reservabo.
    I will put aside while delivering my opinion, and reserve for a more fitting opportunity of revenge.
    - Marcus Tullus Cicero, On the Consular Provinces (I)

nunquam deos ipsos admouere nocentibus manus; satis esse, si occasione ulciscendi laesos arment
    The gods never lay hands themselves on the guilty; it is enough when they arm the injured with the opportunity for vengeance.
    - Livy, The History of Rome (V,XI)

Things are really coming along. Here's an update on the older quotes foe which we still need more accurate citations:

Code:
    {Author_101}	Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_101}	Iniqua nunquam regna perpetuo manent - Stern masters do not reign long.

{Author_102}	Aeschylus
    {Quote_102}	In war, truth is the first casualty

{Author_106}	Homer
    {Quote_106}	The blade itself incites to violence.

{Author_107}	Albius Tibullus
    {Quote_107}	Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

{Author_108}	Hannibal Barca at the age of 9, ca. 238 BC
    {Quote_108}	I swear so soon as age will permit I will use fire and steel to arrest the destiny of Rome.

{Author_111}	Publius Ovidius Naso
    {Quote_111}	The gods favour the bold.

{Author_112}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_112}	Great empires are not maintained by timidity.

{Author_114}	Dionysius of Halicarnassus
    {Quote_114}	Only the brave enjoy noble and glorious deaths.

{Author_120}	Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_120}	Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis                                                                                                             We do not fear death, but the thought of death.

{Author_121}	Euripides
    {Quote_121}	Danger gleams like sunshine to a brave man's eyes.

{Author_122}	Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_122}	Constant exposure to dangers will breed contempt for them.

{Author_127}	Marcus Tullius Cicero
    {Quote_127}	Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit - Nothing is so well fortified that money cannot capture it.

{Author_128}	Polybius, The Histories, describing the Battle of Telamon
    {Quote_128}	The Romans were terrified by the fine order of the Celtic host, and the dreadful din [of] the whole army were shouting their war cries. Terrifying too were the naked warriors in front, all in the prime of life and finely built men...

{Author_129}	Polybius, The Histories, after writing about the betrayal of Epeiros by Gallic mercenaries
    {Quote_129}	I thought it necessary to speak at some length on this subject in order to show how foolish the Epirots were, and that no people, if wise, should ever admit a garrison stronger than their own forces, especially if composed of barbarians.

{Author_131}	Tacitus, Annals of Imperial Rome
    {Quote_131}	Barbarians: Greek Historians ignore them, reserving their admiration for Greece only. We Romans too, have underestimated them, since in our devotion to antiquity we neglect modern history

{Author_132}	Thucydides
    {Quote_132}	Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

{Author_134}	Thucydides, quoting the Athenian envoy to the neutral Melians, explaining why they should submit without fighting
    {Quote_134}	Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can, and the weak suffer what they must.

{Author_135}	Marcus Tullius Cicero
    {Quote_135}	The sinews of war are infinite money.

{Author_137}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_137}	The proper arts of a general are judgement and prudence.

{Author_138}	Hannibal, asked by Antiochus if his richly ornamented army was enough to defeat the Romans at Magnesia, ca. 189BC
    {Quote_138}	Indeed they will be more than enough, even though the Romans are the greediest nation on earth!

{Author_141}	Athenogoras of Syracuse
    {Quote_141}	If a man does not strike first, he will be the first struck.

{Author_144}	Polybius, The Histories, On the Mercenaries War
    {Quote_144}	This war had lasted for three years and four months, and it far excelled all wars we know of in cruelty and defiance of principle.

{Author_148}	Terence
    {Quote_148}	Auribus teneō lupum - I am holding the wolf by his ears.

{Author_28}	Thucydides
    {Quote_28}	A collision at sea can ruin your entire day.

{Author_30}	Homer
    {Quote_30}	The outcome of the war is in our hands; the outcome of words is in the council.

{Author_31}	Euripides
    {Quote_31}	Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.

{Author_32}	Homer
    {Quote_32}	Ye gods, what dastards would our host command? Swept to the war, the lumber of the land.

{Author_40}	Cn. Pompeius Magnus: Plutarch's Life of Pompey
    {Quote_40}	Stop quoting law. We carry Swords.

{Author_41}	Menander
    {Quote_41}	The man who runs away will fight again.

{Author_43}	Thucydides: The Corcryaen speech to the Athenians
    {Quote_43}	It is the one with the least regrets over concessions to the enemy who will continue in the greatest security.

{Author_44}	Thucydides: Perikles' Funeral Oration
    {Quote_44}	Even for those who were worse in other ways it is right that first place be given to valor against enemies.

{Author_45}	Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_45}	In war there is no prize for runner-up.

{Author_46}	Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_46}	In war, when a commander becomes so bereft of reason and perspective that he fails to understand the dependence of arms on Divine guidance, he no longer deserves victory.

{Author_51}	Hieronymus of Cardia
    {Quote_51}	The Celts rushed on their enemy with the fury of a wild beast. Hacked with swords and axes, and pierced with missles, their rage died only with life itself. Some even plucked out the weapons that struck them and hurled them back at the Greeks.

{Author_57}	Polybius
    {Quote_57}	A good general not only sees the way to victory, he also knows when victory is impossible.

{Author_58}	Polybius
    {Quote_58}	In war we must always leave room for strokes of fortune, and accidents that cannot be foreseen.

{Author_59}	Publilius Syrus
    {Quote_59}	Pardon one offence and you encourage the commission of many.

{Author_6}	Publilius Syrus
    {Quote_6}	We should provide in peace what we need in war.

{Author_62}	Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_62}	Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est                                                   A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.

{Author_64}	Publilius Syrus
    {Quote_64}	        He is best secure from dangers who is on his guard even when he seems safe.

{Author_66}	Silius Italicus
    {Quote_66}	In war we must be speedy.

{Author_67}	Socrates
    {Quote_67}	A disorderly mob is no more an army than a heap of building materials is a house.

{Author_68}	Sophacles
    {Quote_68}	Quick decisions are unsafe decisions.

{Author_69}	Publius Statius
    {Quote_69}	The cruelty of war makes for peace.

{Author_7}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_7}	Great empires are not maintained by timidity.

{Author_71}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_71}	Even the bravest are frightened by sudden terrors.

{Author_73}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_73}	A bad peace is even worse than war.

{Author_74}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_74}	The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

{Author_75}	Thucydides
    {Quote_75}	War is not so much a matter of weapons as of money.

{Author_76}	Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_76}	An ambush, if discovered and promptly surrounded, will repay the intended mischief with interest.

{Author_77}	Hannibal Barca, addressing Phormio's lecture on leadership
    {Quote_77}	I have seen during my life many an old fool; but this one beats them all.

{Author_78}	Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_78}	Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline.

{Author_79}	Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_79}	A general is not easily overcome who can form a true judgement of his own and the enemy's forces.

{Author_82}	Xenophon
    {Quote_82}	When one side goes against the enemy with the gods' gift of stronger morale, then their adversaries, as a rule, cannot withstand them.

{Author_87}	Aeschylus
    {Quote_87}	...now in place of the young men urns and ashes are carried home to houses of the fighters.

{Author_88}	Demosthenes
    {Quote_88}	Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.

{Author_9}	Gaius Julius Caesar
    {Quote_9}	In war important events result from trivial causes.

{Author_97}	Euripides
    {Quote_97}	Courage may be taught as a child is taught to speak.

{Author_98}	Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_98}	Valour is superior to numbers.

{Author_99}	G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_99}	Valour is the contempt of death and pain.
    Of course, the authenticity of most of these is not in question, but we still want to provide accurate citations if we can, and even the most well-known quotes can surprise you in the original.
    Last edited by oudysseos; 05-20-2009 at 09:46.

I recall that some of them have already been provided with correct citation. I put the correct citation for the Plato quote and the Homer one about men and lions somewhere in this thread (I looked it up, it's actually on page 1 ).
    Last edited by machinor; 05-18-2009 at 10:21.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Oops. Sorry, I missed those. Will get them in.

EDIT: Yes I see you did cite several quotes. I've got them now.
    Last edited by oudysseos; 05-18-2009 at 12:20.

I know you have asked for quotes from around EB time-frame, but in the current list for 1.2 there are quotes from "Timon of Athens" and "Julius Caesar", so would any more Shakespearean quotes be accepted (of course, from relevant plays)?
    Last edited by Scud; 05-18-2009 at 16:20.

No, I have taken the Shakespeare, Sun Tzu and Confucius out. There's more than enough good, topical and contemporary sources: we have barely touched Greek drama (only a few quotes from Euripides), and there are the Hellenistic poets as well, which no-one has gotten to yet. And there's lots more in Polybius, and no-one has even touched Vergil yet (unbelievable!) My goal is at least 300 quotes, roughly 200 of which will be new for EB2.

Urbs antiqua fuit, Tyrii tenuere coloni, Karthago, Italiam contra Tiberinaque longe ostia , dives opum studiisque asperrima belli;

There was an ancient city, held by Tyre as a colony; Carthage, opposite from afar to Italy and the Tiber, it's door; rich, ruthless and eager in war.

P. Vergilius Maro, Aeneid, 1.12

Someone please check the latin, original latin has no reference to the lines.

expediam et primae revocabo exordia pugnae
    These are my theme, and how the war began, And how concluded by the godlike man
    - Vergillius Maro, Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid (VII , XL)

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    No, I have taken the Shakespeare, Sun Tzu and Confucius out. There's more than enough good, topical and contemporary sources: we have barely touched Greek drama (only a few quotes from Euripides), and there are the Hellenistic poets as well, which no-one has gotten to yet. And there's lots more in Polybius, and no-one has even touched Vergil yet (unbelievable!) My goal is at least 300 quotes, roughly 200 of which will be new for EB2.
    'Tis a shame, my knowledge of The Bard's 'Antony and Cleopatra' shall go to waste. I think I better get cracking on that Classical and Hellenistic literature then!

I have updated the first post with a list of the old quotes that still need to be cited.

I'd also like to encourage anyone who is interested to look into;

Ennius (there's more):

Fortune favours the bold.
    Fortibus est fortuna viris data.
    Annals, Book 7
    On the tradtions and heros of ancient times stands firm the Roman state
    Moribus antiquis res stat Romana virisque
    "Annals", Book 18
    This is an exercise for the class:

De bello Hannibalico

...postquam Discordia taetra
    Belli ferratos postes portasque refregit.
    Pellitur e medio sapientia, vi geritur res,
    Spernitur orator bonus, horridus miles amatur.
    Haut doctis dictis certantes sed maledictis
    Miscent inter sese inimicitiam a~itantes.
    Non ex iure manu consertum sed magis ferro
    Rem repetunt, regnumque petunt, vadunt solida vi.
    Virgil (the translations on Perseus are pretty old: I'd like something more contemporary)

Audacibus annue coeptis
    Look with favor upon a bold beginning.
    Virgil, Georgics, Book I, line 40
    Equo ne credite, Teucri. quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentis.
    Do not trust the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear the Grecians, even bearing gifts.
    Virgil, Aeneid, Book II, line 48
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
    Fortune favours the brave.
    Virgil, Aeneid, Book X, line 284
    Theocritus
    Callimachus
    Apollonius if Rhodes
    Arrian ( particularly Indica )
    Appian
    Dionysius of Halicarnassus

Here's some Menander:

Whom the gods love dies young.
    The Double Deceiver, fragment 125
    The man who runs may fight again.
    Monostikoi (Single Lines)
    At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool.
    Those Offered for Sale, fragment 421
    We live, not as we wish to, but as we can.
    Lady of Andros, fragment 50
    There's still lots left in Cicero, Livy, Polybius, Herodotus, and Thucydides:

Inter arma enim silent leges
    Law stands mute in the midst of arms.
    Cicero, Pro Milone
    A war is never undertaken by the ideal State, except in defense of its honor or its safety.
    Cicero, De Re Publica, Book 3, Chapter 23
    The Scythians take cannabis seed, creep in under the felts, and throw it on the red-hot stones. It smolders and sends up such billows of steam-smoke that no Greek vapor bath can surpass it. The Scythians howl with joy in these vapor-baths, which serve them instead of bathing, for they never wash their bodies with water.
    Herodotus, Book 4, Ch. 74
    Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances.
    Herodotus,Book 7, Ch. 49
    Potius sero quam numquam.
    Better late than never.
    Livy, IV. 23
    There is always more spirit in attack than in defense.
    Livy, XXVIII. 44
    When one is deprived of ones liberty, one is right in blaming not so much the man who puts the shackles on as the one who had the power to prevent him, but did not use it.
    Thucydides, Book I, 69
    It is from the greatest dangers that the greatest glory is to be won.
    Thucydides, Book I, 144
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.
    Thucydides,Book II, 40
    But MORE THAN ANYTHING I'd like someone to find good translations of the Drakht-i Asurig and Ayadgar-i Zareran, and indeed anything that's topical and not Latin or Greek!
    Last edited by oudysseos; 05-20-2009 at 10:30.

[...]
    {Author_134} Thucydides, quoting the Athenian envoy to the neutral Melians, explaining why they should submit without fighting
    {Quote_134} Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can, and the weak suffer what they must. [...]

Of course, the authenticity of most of these is not in question, but we still want to provide accurate citations if we can, and even the most well-known quotes can surprise you in the original.
    I think this must be it. The translation differs a fair bit though.
    In my copy (Norton Critical edition) it reads;
    No, each of us must exercise what power he really thinks he can, and we know and you know that in the human real, justice is enforced only among those who can be equally constrained by it, and that those who have power use it, while the weak make compromises.

Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War, Book 5, 89

{Author_43} Thucydides: The Corcryaen speech to the Athenians
    {Quote_43} It is the one with the least regrets over concessions to the enemy who will continue in the greatest security.
    Same edition as the above post. (Sorry about the double post.)
    This one is:Book 1, 34

Hope that helps.

This is an exercise for the class:
    De bello Hannibalico

...postquam Discordia taetra
    Belli ferratos postes portasque refregit.
    Pellitur e medio sapientia, vi geritur res,
    Spernitur orator bonus, horridus miles amatur.
    Haut doctis dictis certantes sed maledictis
    Miscent inter sese inimicitiam a~itantes.
    Non ex iure manu consertum sed magis ferro
    Rem repetunt, regnumque petunt, vadunt solida vi.
    I gave this a try. I took "a~itantes" as "agitantes" because it seemed to fit the sense of the passage. My interpretations may be off.

Concerning the Hannibalic War

... after the foul Discord
    Of war broke open the iron-plated doors and gates.
    Wisdom was pushed out from the middle, the republic carried by strength,
    The good orator spurned, the horrid soldier loved.
    Hardly debating the learned with sayings but with insults,
    They mix enmity between themselves, agitating.
    Not being fought by hand out of law but more by sword,
    They take back the republic, and make for monarchy, they advance by solid force.

I thought I might share some of my favorite quotes with you guys. I realize some of them are a bit long, but it shouldn't be too hard to cut them down to size.

War—I know it well, and the butchery of men.
    --Hector taunting Ajax, Illiad 7.275

For if one should propose to all men a choice, bidding them select the best customs from all the customs that there are, each race of men, after examining them all, would select those of their own people; thus all think that their own customs are by far the best: and so it is not likely that any but a madman would joke about such things.
    --Herodotus 3.38

In the period of life, short as it is, no man. . . is made by nature so happy, that there will not come to him many times, and not once only, the desire to be dead rather than to live; for misfortunes falling upon us and diseases disturbing our happiness make the time of life, though short indeed, seem long: thus, since life is full of trouble, death has become the most acceptable refuge for man; and God, having given him to taste of the sweetness of life, is discovered in this matter to be full of jealousy.
    --Xerxes surveying his grand army, Herodotus 7.46

They are swift to follow up a success, and slow to recoil from a reverse. Their bodies they spend ungrudgingly in their country's cause; their intellect they jealously husband to be employed in her service. A scheme unexecuted is with them a positive loss, a successful enterprise a comparative failure. The deficiency created by the miscarriage of an undertaking is soon filled up by fresh hopes; for they alone are enabled to call a thing hoped for a thing got, by the speed with which they act upon their resolutions. Thus they toil on in trouble and danger all the days of their lives, with little opportunity for enjoying, being ever engaged in getting: their only idea of a holiday is to do what the occasion demands, and to them laborious occupation is less of a misfortune than the peace of a quiet life.
    --The Corinthians warn the Spartans against the Athenians, Thucydides 1.70

The sufferings which revolution entailed upon the cities were many and terrible, such as have occurred and always will occur, as long as the nature of mankind remains the same.
    --Thucydides 3.82

It was manifest also that whenever a man conferred any benefit on Cyrus or did him any harm, he always sought to outdo him; in fact, some people used to report it as a prayer of his that he might live long enough to outdo both those who benefited and those who injured him, returning like for like. --Xenophon, Anabasis 1.9.11

But it is a peculiarity of the Roman people as a whole to treat everything as a question of main strength; to consider that they must of course accomplish whatever they have proposed to themselves; and that nothing is impossible that they have once determined upon. The result of such self-confidence is that in many things they do succeed, while in some few they conspicuously fail.
    --Polybius, Book 1
    Hippocleides cares not! --Herodotus 6.129

Your Divine Intervention Member Snite's Avatar

I apologize as I cannot give proper citation without my copy of the work mentioned -it's a couple hundred miles away - my memory is not exact, and I don't know Latin and am worried using an internet translator would butcher this:

Livy records that when the Roman Senate was debating the punishment for the survivors of Cannae a senator gave a story about a battle in the First Punic War where the Romans had become divided and one wing encircled. A commander - not a consul I think - then asked for some volunteers to punch a hole through the Cathaginians to the endangered wing and gave this speech:

"Come, let us a die, and by our deaths save the surrounded legions!!" If anyone has a copy of Livy's work on the second Punic war I'm sure they could find it and give proper citation and name the right people involved.

Cuz seriously, it's a great quote.

Snite
    Ubi Libertas Habitat Ibi Nostra Patria Est: "Where Liberty Lives there is our Homeland"

"I consider every good Barbarian to be Greek, and every bad Greek to be Barbarian"
    Attributed to Alexander.
    I may be paraphrasing >.>
    Μηδεν εωρακεναι φoβερωτερον και δεινοτερον φαλλαγγος μακεδονικης

‘the glory of riches and appearance is fleeting and fragile, but to have prowess is something distinguished and everlasting.’
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 1.4

‘It is a splendid thing to do well for the advantage of one’s commonwealth’.
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 3.1

‘For, to kings, the good are more suspect than the wicked, and prowess in another is always a source of fear to them’.
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 7.2

‘”Is it not better to die with prowess than to lose in disgrace a life which is pitiable and dishonourable, once you have become the plaything of the haughtiness of others?”’
    Speech by Catiline in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 20.9

‘”Here, stretching before your eyes, lies that freedom which you have often craved, as well as riches, respect and glory!”’
    Speech by Catiline in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 20.14

‘The community quaked at these measures, and the face of the city was altered.’
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 31.1

‘”But, as for us, we seek neither command nor riches, which are the cause of all wars and struggles among mortals, but freedom, which no good man loses except along with his life’s breath.”’
    Instructions of C. Manlius to Marcius Rex in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 33.4

‘”But, as for those who are endowed with some great command and spend their years at the zenith, all mortals know their deeds.”’
    Speech by Caesar in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 51.12

‘”Do not think that it was by arms that our ancestors made the commonwealth great from being small. If that were so, we would now be seeing it at its finest by far, since we have greater supply of allies and citizens, and of arms and horses besides, than our ancestors did. But it was other things which made them great, and which we no longer have’.
    Speech of Cato the younger in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 52.19

‘After Catiline saw that he was shut in by the mountains and enemy forces, that affairs in the city were against him, and that there was no hope of either flight or reinforcements, he deemed the best thing to do in the circumstances would be to test the fortunes of war’.
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 57.5

‘”I advise you to be courageous and prepared in spirit, and, when you enter the battle, to remember that in your hands you carry riches, honour and glory, to say nothing of freedom and the fatherland.”’
    Speech of Catiline in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 58.8

‘He helped the flagging, summoned the fit to take over from the injured, made every provision, fought hard himself, and often struck the enemy: he performed simultaneously the duties of committed soldier and good commander.’
    Catiline in: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 60.4

‘In fact, from that entire force, no freeborn citizen was captured either in battle or in flight: they had no more spared their own lives than those of the enemy.’
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 61.5

‘As for the many who had emerged from the camp for the purpose of viewing or plundering and were turning over the enemy corpses, some discovered a friend, others a guest or relative; likewise there were those who recognised their own personal antagonists. Thus, throughout the entire army, delight, sorrow, grief and joy were variously experienced.’
    Sallust, Bellum Catilinae 61.8

‘Then, when the ground for their joy was certain, such a storm of applause began and was so often repeated that it was easily apparent that of all blessings none pleases a throng more than freedom’.
    Livy, History of Rome, 33.32.4-10

‘[When] wars are announced, wisdom is driven from their midst, matters waged by force; the good speaker is shunned, the rude soldier loved.’
    Aulus Gellius, Attic Nights, 20.10.4

‘The Gauls are exceedingly addicted with wine and fill themselves with wine brought by merchants, drinking it unmixed, and since they drink without moderation because of their craving for it, when they are drunken they fall into a stupor or a state of madness.’
    Diodorus of Sicily, Universal History, 5.26.3

‘Meanwhile cause the barbarous business of warfare to be lulled to sleep over every land and sea.’
    Lucretius, On the Nature of Things, 1.30

‘But never in those times did a single day consign to destruction many thousands of men marching beneath military standards; never did the boisterous billows of the ocean dash ships and sailors upon the rocks.’
    Lucretius, On the Nature of Things, 5.999

‘All the sacred shrines of the gods had been filled by death with lifeless bodies, and all the temples of the celestials, which the sacristans had crammed with guests, were continually littered with corpses.’
    Lucretius, On the Nature of Things, 6.1272

Here are a few quotes, some of which might be worthy of use. Sorry i only have translations. really sorry also if any of these have been mentioned before but i started using the search function to see if each one had been mentioned in turn but realised id be there for a few days to do them all because of the wait between searches. now these are up i can start gathering the rest.
    Compassion and human kindess? Compassion and human kindness are for the weak!!

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    how about ancient hebrew texts? like about military and stuff.
    I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the bible and stuff like that, but I did some quick research into which parts of the Jewish / Christian religious texts are from the right time period. The books 1 & 2 Maccabees are from about 167-160 BC and concern the Maccabean revolt against the Seleucids.

I went through them and found some extracts. Some seem really good for military stuff and there's a couple of funny ones too. I like the one about the elephants and the mulberries.

Both books are Greek texts. Apparently one or both were originally in hebrew / aramaic but that version no longer survives. I'm no greek scholar (only ever learnt latin) so I have no idea whether the greek looks right - I have made a note of the ones where I'm not sure that I have extracted the right part of the verse in greek. Someone who knows greek will need to check them.

Sorry there's so many - but I tried to keep them all short and sweet. Enjoy.

καὶ διῆλθεν ἕως ἄκρων τῆς γῆς καὶ ἔλαβεν σκῦλα πλήθους ἐθνῶν. καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ, καὶ ὑψώθη, καὶ ἐπήρθη ἡ καρδία αὐτοῦ.

He advanced to the ends of the earth, and plundered many nations. When the earth became quiet before him, he was exalted, and his heart was lifted up.

1 Maccabees 1:3 [Concerning Alexander]

καὶ ἐπλάτυνεν δόξαν τῷ λαῷ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐνεδύσατο θώρακα ὡς γίγας καὶ συνεζώσατο τὰ σκεύη τὰ πολεμικὰ αὐτοῦ καὶ πολέμους συνεστήσατο σκεπάζων παρεμβολὴν ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ. καὶ ὡμοιώθη λέοντι ἐν τοῖς ἔργοις αὐτοῦ καὶ ὡς σκύμνος ἐρευγόμενος εἰς θήραν.

He extended the glory of his people. Like a giant he put on his breastplate; he girded on his armor of war and waged battles, protecting the host by his sword. He was like a lion in his deeds, like a lion's cub roaring for prey.

Judas Maccabeus

1 Maccabees 3:3-4

εἶπον τῷ Ιουδα Τί δυνησόμεθα ὀλιγοστοὶ ὄντες πολεμῆσαι πρὸς πλῆθος τοσοῦτο ἰσχυρόν; καὶ ἡμεῖς ἐκλελύμεθα ἀσιτοῦντες σήμερον.

"How can we, few as we are, fight against so great and strong a multitude? And we are faint, for we have eaten nothing today."

Jewish force to Judas Maccabeus before the Battle of Beth-Horon

1 Maccabees 3:17

(The quote is only part of the verse and I’m not sure if I have the right part.)

Εὔκοπόν ἐστιν συγκλεισθῆναι πολλοὺς ἐν χερσὶν ὀλίγων, καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν διαφορὰ ἐναντίον τοῦ οὐρανοῦ σῴζειν ἐν πολλοῖς ἢ ἐν ὀλίγοις·

It is easy for many to be hemmed in by few, for in the sight of Heaven there is no difference between saving by many or by few.

1 Maccabees 3:18

(The quote is only part of the verse and I’m not sure if I have the right part.)

Περιζώσασθε καὶ γίνεσθε εἰς υἱοὺς δυνατοὺς

"Gird yourselves and be valiant."

Judas Maccabeus to the Jewish army before the Battle of Emmaus

1 Maccabees 3:58

Μὴ φοβεῖσθε τὸ πλῆθος αὐτῶν καὶ τὸ ὅρμημα αὐτῶν μὴ δειλωθῆτε·

"Do not fear their numbers or be afraid when they charge"

Judas Maccabeus to the Jewish army before the Battle of Emmaus

1 Maccabees 4:8

καὶ συνετρίβησαν τὰ ἔθνη καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ πεδίον, οἱ δὲ ἔσχατοι πάντες ἔπεσον ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ.

The Gentiles were crushed and fled into the plain, and all those in the rear fell by the sword.

1 Maccabees 4:14-15

καὶ ἐγένετο ἑωθινῇ ἦραν τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ ἰδοὺ λαὸς πολύς, οὗ οὐκ ἦν ἀριθμός, αἴροντες κλίμακας καὶ μηχανὰς καταλαβέσθαι τὸ ὀχύρωμα καὶ ἐπολέμουν αὐτούς.

At dawn they looked up, and behold, a large company, that could not be counted, carrying ladders and engines of war to capture the stronghold, and attacking the Jews within.

1 Maccabees 5:30

καὶ τοῖς ἐλέφασιν ἔδειξαν αἷμα σταφυλῆς καὶ μόρων τοῦ παραστῆσαι αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν πόλεμον.

They showed the elephants the juice of grapes and mulberries, to arouse them for battle.

Seleucid army at the Battle of Beth-Zechariah

1 Maccabees 6:34

καὶ πύργοι ξύλινοι ἐπ' αὐτοὺς ὀχυροὶ σκεπαζόμενοι ἐφ' ἑκάστου θηρίου ἐζωσμένοι ἐπ' αὐτοῦ μηχαναῖς, καὶ ἐφ' ἑκάστου ἄνδρες δυνάμεως τέσσαρες οἱ πολεμοῦντες ἐπ' αὐτοῖς καὶ ὁ Ἰνδὸς αὐτοῦ.

And upon the elephants were wooden towers, strong and covered; they were fastened upon each beast by special harness, and upon each were four armed men who fought from there, and also its Indian driver.

1 Maccabees 6:37

ὡς δὲ ἔστιλβεν ὁ ἥλιος ἐπὶ τὰς χρυσᾶς καὶ χαλκᾶς ἀσπίδας, ἔστιλβεν τὰ ὄρη ἀπ' αὐτῶν καὶ κατηύγαζεν ὡς λαμπάδες πυρός.

When the sun shone upon the shields of gold and brass, the hills were ablaze with them and gleamed like flaming torches.

1 Maccabees 6:39

καὶ εἰσέδυ ὑπὸ τὸν ἐλέφαντα καὶ ὑπέθηκεν αὐτῷ καὶ ἀνεῖλεν αὐτόν, καὶ ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν γῆν ἐπάνω αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἀπέθανεν ἐκεῖ.

He got under the elephant, stabbed it from beneath, and killed it; but it fell to the ground upon him and he died.

Eleazar Avaran at the Battle of Beth-Zechariah

1 Maccabees 6:46

καὶ ἔστησεν ἐκεῖ βελοστάσεις καὶ μηχανὰς καὶ πυροβόλα καὶ λιθοβόλα καὶ σκορπίδια εἰς τὸ βάλλεσθαι βέλη καὶ σφενδόνας.

He set up siege towers, engines of war to throw fire and stones, machines to shoot arrows, and catapults.

Antiochus V Eupator at Jerusalem

1 Maccabees 6:51

Μὴ γένοιτο ποιῆσαι τὸ πρᾶγμα τοῦτο, φυγεῖν ἀπ' αὐτῶν, καὶ εἰ ἤγγικεν ὁ καιρὸς ἡμῶν, καὶ ἀποθάνωμεν ἐν ἀνδρείᾳ χάριν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν καὶ μὴ καταλίπωμεν αἰτίαν τῇ δόξῃ ἡμῶν.

"Far be it from us to do such a thing as to flee from them. If our time has come, let us die bravely for our brethren, and leave no cause to question our honour."

Judas Maccabeus to the Jewish army before the Battle of Elasa

1 Maccabees 9:10

καὶ ἐμερίσθη ἡ ἵππος εἰς δύο μέρη, καὶ οἱ σφενδονῆται καὶ οἱ τοξόται προεπορεύοντο τῆς δυνάμεως, καὶ οἱ πρωταγωνισταὶ πάντες οἱ δυνατοί, Βακχίδης δὲ ἦν ἐν τῷ δεξιῷ κέρατι.

The cavalry was divided into two companies, and the slingers and the archers went ahead of the army, as did all the chief warriors.

Seleucid army at the Battle of Elasa

1 Maccabees 9:11

ἐκ τῶν δύο μερῶν καὶ ἐφώνουν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν, καὶ ἐσάλπισαν οἱ παρὰ Ιουδου καὶ αὐτοὶ ταῖς σάλπιγξιν· καὶ ἐσαλεύθη ἡ γῆ ἀπὸ τῆς φωνῆς τῶν παρεμβολῶν, καὶ ἐγένετο ὁ πόλεμος συνημμένος ἀπὸ πρωίθεν ἕως ἑσπέρας.

Flanked by the two companies, the phalanx advanced to the sound of the trumpets; and the men with Judas also blew their trumpets. The earth was shaken by the noise of the armies, and the battle raged from morning till evening.

Battle of Elasa, 160 BC

1 Maccabees 9:12-13

(The quote is only part of the verse and I’m really not sure if I have the right part.)

ἰδοὺ γὰρ ὁ πόλεμος ἐξ ἐναντίας καὶ ἐξόπισθεν ἡμῶν, τὸ δὲ ὕδωρ τοῦ Ιορδάνου ἔνθεν καὶ ἔνθεν καὶ ἕλος καὶ δρυμός, οὐκ ἔστιν τόπος τοῦ ἐκκλῖναι·

For look! the battle is in front of us and behind us; the water of the Jordan is on this side and on that, with marsh and thicket; there is no place to turn.

Jonathan Maccabeus

1 Maccabees 9:45

καὶ ἐξήλλοντο οἱ ἐν τῇ ἑλεοπόλει εἰς τὴν πόλιν, καὶ ἐγένετο κίνημα μέγα ἐν τῇ πόλει.

The men in the siege engine leaped out into the city, and a great tumult arose in the city.

Siege of Gazara

1 Maccabees 13:44

ἄρτι δὲ τῆς ἀνατολῆς διαχεομένης προσέβαλον ἑκάτεροι, οἱ μὲν ἔγγυον ἔχοντες εὐημερίας καὶ νίκης μετὰ ἀρετῆς τὴν ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον καταφυγήν, οἱ δὲ καθηγεμόνα τῶν ἀγώνων ταττόμενοι τὸν θυμόν.

Just as dawn was breaking, the two armies joined battle, the one having as pledge of success and victory not only their valor but their reliance upon the Lord, while the other made rage their leader in the fight.

2 Maccabees 10:28

λεοντηδὸν δὲ ἐντινάξαντες εἰς τοὺς πολεμίους κατέστρωσαν αὐτῶν χιλίους πρὸς τοῖς μυρίοις, ἱππεῖς δὲ ἑξακοσίους πρὸς τοῖς χιλίοις· τοὺς δὲ πάντας ἠνάγκασαν φεύγειν.

They hurled themselves like lions against the enemy, and slew eleven thousand of them and sixteen hundred horsemen, and forced all the rest to flee.

2 Maccabees 11:11

καταρξάμενος τῇ πατρίῳ φωνῇ τὴν μεθ' ὕμνων κραυγὴν ἐνσείσας ἀπροσδοκήτως τοῖς περὶ τὸν Γοργίαν, τροπὴν αὐτῶν ἐποιήσατο.

In the language of their fathers he raised the battle cry, with hymns; then he charged against Gorgias' men when they were not expecting it, and put them to flight.

Jewish army against the Seleucids

2 Maccabees 12:37

‘For these i place neither physical bounds nor temporal limits; i have given empire without end.’
    Vergil, Aeneid, 1.278-9

‘It has now finally come about that the limits of our empire and of the earth are one and the same’.
    Cicero, On the Consular Provinces, 33.

‘It is not permitted for the Roman people to be in servitude, whom the immortal gods wanted to rule over all peoples’.
    Cicero, Philippics, 6.19

‘In this way the divine will has given Italy a most excellent and temperate climatic condition in order that it may rule the world.’
    Vitruvius, On Architecture, 6.1.11

‘Initially Africa was held by the Gaetulians and Libyans, rough and uncouth peoples whose food was the flesh of wild animals and fodder from the ground, as for cattle’.
    Sallust, Bellum Jugurthinum, 18.1

‘The lower part of Africa was mostly taken possession of by the Numidians, and all the conquered passed into the race and name of those in command over them’.
    Sallust, Bellum Jugurthinum, 18.12

‘”Will this one victory or these spoils satisfy you? Will your expectations not equal your courage?”’
    Speech of P. Decius Mus in: Livy, History of Rome, 10.17.4-6

‘And if our fatherland is pure delight, as well it ought to be... with what great love must we certainly be stirred for a country like ours, as it stands alone amongst all others as the home of virtue, imperial power, and dignity!’
    Cicero, On the Orator, 1.196

‘Consider also that we aren’t now working for some glory hoped for in a future time but rather fighting for what we have won, and we are obliged to maintain this rather than seek it out’.
    Cicero, Letters to Brother Quintus, 1.1.41

‘The Romans make it a point to embark only upon wars that are just, and to make no casual or precipitate decisions about such matters.’
    Diodorus of Sicily, Universal History, 32.5

‘But once they held sway over virtually the whole inhabited world, they confirmed their power by terrorism and by the destruction of the most eminent cities.’
    Diodorus of Sicily, Universal History, 32.2, 4.4-5

‘Remember by your empire to rule the world’s peoples (for these will be your arts), to impose the practice of peace, to be sparing to the subjected, and to beat down the defiant’.
    Vergil, Aeneid, 6.851-3

‘But there are still traces of the Massiliots’ ancient strength, especially their aptitude in making instruments and outfitting ships.’
    Strabo, Geography, 4.1.5

‘...and the Britons gradually drifted into alluring vices: promenades, baths, sumptuous dinners. The naive natives called this part of their servitude “culture”.’
    Tacitus, Agricola, 21

‘The tribe of the Fenni live in remarkable wilderness and foul poverty. They have no arms, no horses, no homes. Their food is wild vegetation, skins provide their clothing; they have the ground as a bed. All their hopes lie in their arrows, but they tip them with bone, since they have no iron.’
    Tacitus, Germania, 46

‘And yet they think they are happier to live this way than to groan over field work, or to be saddled with building houses, and to be constantly involving the fortunes of both themselves and their neighbours in alternate hopes and fears. They do not care about men; they do not care about heaven. They have achieved something very difficult: they have nothing for which to pray.’
    Tacitus, Germania, 46

‘Captive Greece seized it ferocious conqueror and bought the arts into rustic latium.’
    Horace, Epistles, 2.1.156-7

‘Greece, which was kindled with a passion for eloquence, and for long has excelled all other states in this regard. And yet [Greece] had discovered all the other arts, and even brought them to perfection before this art of effective and eloquent speaking was developed.’
    Cicero, Brutus, 26

‘He knew of Hippocrates’ famous reply, when he was summoned to attend the Persian King for an enormous fee, and stated he would never give his service to barbarians who were enemies of the Greeks.’
    Plutarch, Life of Cato the Elder, 23.1-5

‘But in Greece every state is run by irresponsible seated assemblies.’
    Cicero, In Defence of Flaccus, 7.16-17

‘Words cannot express, gentlemen, how bitterly foreign nations hate us because of the wanton and outrageous conduct of the men whom we recently have sent to govern them.’
    Cicero, On the Manilian Law, 22.65-6

‘He had a stick with him cut from a vine, and he drew with it a circle around Antiochus and said he must stay inside the circle until he gave an answer. The king was astonished at this imperious behaviour, but after hesitating for a few moments, he said he would carry out Rome’s will.’
    Polybius, Histories, 29.27.1-6

Hope some of these might be usable aswell.
    I know these are very Roman centred but a lot of them could be applicable to any faction.
    Compassion and human kindess? Compassion and human kindness are for the weak!!

Here are some more quotes from Sallust's Jugurthine War, in addition to those above from Tomato Sandwich.

Nam in consule nostro multae bonaeque artes animi et corporis erant, quas omnis avaritia praepediebat: patiens laborum, acri ingenio, satis providens, belli haud ignarus, firmissumus contra pericula et insidias.

For though our consul possessed many excellent qualities of mind and body, they were all nullified by avarice. He had great endurance, a keen intellect, no little foresight, considerable military experience, and a stout heart in the face of dangers and plots.

Concerning L. Calpurnius Bestia, consul 111 BC

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 28:5

"Nam fidei quidem aut concordiae quae spes est? Dominari illi volunt, vos liberi esse; facere illi iniurias, vos prohibere; postremo sociis nostris veluti hostibus, hostibus pro sociis utuntur. Potestne in tam divorsis mentibus pax aut amicitia esse?”

"Pray, what hope have you of mutual confidence or harmony? They wish to be tyrants, you to be free; they desire to inflict injury, you to prevent it; finally, they treat our allies as enemies and our enemies as allies. Are peace and friendship compatible with sentiments so unlike?”

C. Memmius, tribune, speech to the Comitia

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 31:23-24

Dein singulas turmas et manipulos circumiens monet atque obtestatur uti memores pristinae virtutis et victoriae sese regnumque suum ab Romanorum avaritia defendant

Then going about to the various squads and companies, he admonished and besought them to be mindful of their old time valour and victories, and to defend themselves and their country from the greed of the Romans.

Jugurtha before the Battle of the Muthul

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 49:2

Qua in parte rex pugnae affuit, ibi aliquamdiu certatum, ceteri eius omnes milites primo congressu pulsi fugatique.

Wherever the king was present in person, there was some show of resistance; everywhere else his soldiers broke and fled at the first charge.

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 74:3 (Concerning Jugurtha; unnamed battle)

Non possum fidei causa imagines neque triumphos aut consulatus maiorum meorum ostentare, at, si res postulet, hastas, vexillum, phaleras, alia militaria dona, praeterea cicatrices advorso corpore.

“I cannot, to justify your confidence, display family portraits or the triumphs and consulships of my forefathers; but if occasion requires, I can show spears, a banner, trappings and other military prizes, as well as scars on my breast.”

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 85:29 (Marius, addressing the Comitia)

Sudorem, pulverem et alia talia relinquant nobis, quibus illa epulis iucundiora sunt.

“Sweat, dust, and all such things let them leave to us, to whom they are sweeter than feasts.”

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 85:41 (Marius, addressing the Comitia)

Plura dicerem, Quirites, si timidis virtutem verba adderent. Nam strenuis abunde dictum puto.

“I would say more, citizens, if words could make cowards brave. For the resolute I think I have spoken abundantly.”

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthinum 85:50 (Marius, concluding his address to the Comitia)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast