Thread: Highways for other factions

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Highways for other factions

I've played a little around with the export files and gave the possibility to build highways to other factions than the Romaio. It works fine, except that the buildings in the cities show the "error" buildings, and not the normal icon in the building browser, the road symbol.

How do i get this thing work?

Thanks for every help!

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: Highways for other factions

why the hell would you try screwing around with that stuff? anyway, it is most likely because there is no icon for those factions for highways, even though its all the same icon. i guess there is something in romani with a highway icon not in other factions. thats probably the problem.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Highways for other factions

I've done this for Makedonia in my AAR campaign after learning from the Romans...

export_descr_buildings.txt:
    Code:
    }
            highways requires factions { seleucid, macedon, } and not hidden_resource nopavedroads
            {
                capability
                {
                    road_level 2
                    law_bonus 1
                }
                construction  8
                cost  4800
                settlement_min large_city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
    export_buildings.txt:
    {highways_greek} Hodoi Hyperterai (Superior Roads)
    {highways_greek_desc}
    Sosipatros Philippeus, Strategos of the 4th Army "Hesperia" and a well known hater of everything Roman, immediately recognized the high value of these Roman roads and ordered engineers who were captured at the fall of Roma in 196BC to be brought to Pella. There the knowledge was tought to Greek engineers and thus spread all over the Makedonian Greek world. Hodoi Hyperterai consist of a paved road double as wide as the ordinary Hamaxitoi with an additional strip of clear cut on both sides, allowing the marching troops to flank-guard their supply train under every condition. This way they help the fast movement of the Royal and Satrapal Armies and thus ensure the protection of the King's possessions.\n\nAn extended network of wide paved Viae Majores allows massed armies and merchants to quickly reach every point of the roman world. In regular intervals Mansiones, stations of the imperial postal service, provide lodging and logistical support for the transfer of army units and civilian travelers, besides their normal function as relays for the fast transmission of messages across the Roman Empire.\n\nThese roads connect the major cities and provinces of the Roman world. They are as broad as two normal roads to handle the often high volume of traffic. Their bed reaches nearly one meter into the ground and gives the structure its unrivalled resistance. The foundation consists of three 30 cm thick layers of highly concentrated stone, earth, and a clay gravel mixture, placed one above the other. On this base a final layer of fine gravel supports the pavement of large stone plates. Over swampy ground the three lowest layers are replaced with a wooden substructures.\n\nSince the construction of the Via Apia in 312 BC, the endless network of roads has become one of the longest lasting and most useful symbols of Roman power. They are primarily built for military purposes and the fast transmission of messages but have revolutionized civilian traffic as well. Good roads of various sizes connecting all cities and towns allow the replacement of pack animals, with their limited capacity, with faster carts. Milestones (miliaria) also help the travelers to orientate themselves. Written on each miliaria is the name of the road and the distance to its origin or the next city. Normally the roadway has a width of 6 m, enough to allow two standard carts to pass each other without problems.\n\nThe Romani were neither the first nor the only ones constructing road networks, but no other state prior to the 19th century matched them in building one as extended, systematic, and rugged. The main tracks alone ultimately reached a length of over 85,000 km. In the empire’s ideology they all began in Roma at the foot of the Capitoline hill, where Augustus had placed the milarium aureum, the golden milestone. Many of the roads and bridges have survived into the modern era and some are still in use today, nearly 2000 years after their construction.
    {highways_greek_desc_short}
    Great roads have been built in this province, ho Basileu. Borrowed from the Romaioi, these will ensure much quicker troop movement throughout our Empire!
    I've copied the whole entry from the Roman (seleucid) entry and added a bit Makedonian flavour to the description. Scrolling up, you'll notice that there are the erratic descriptions for the factions that normally do not get them. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-07-2009 at 20:45.

Default Re: AW: Highways for other factions

For some culture groups you need to copy the icons as well.

As far as i can remember the Roman (obviously) and Greek culture group have the icons already there.

If you wanted to have them for say the Eastern culture group you need to copy #ROMAN_HIGHWAYS and #ROMAN_HIGHWAYS_CONSTRUCTED from the Rome - Total War\EB\Data\UI\ROMAN\BUILDINGS folder to Rome - Total War\EB\Data\UI\EASTERN\BUILDINGS and then rename them #EASTERN_HIGHWAYS and #EASTERN_HIGHWAYS_CONSTRUCTED.
    You also need to do a similar thing with the icons in the construction folder.

Here's list of which factions are in which culture group to help you out.
    KH, Makedon, Eprios - Greek cultrue group
    AS, Ptolemies, Baktria, - Egyptian culture group
    Pontos, Hayasdan, Pahlava - Eastern culture group
    Lusotanna, Arverni, Aedui, Sweboz, Getai, Casse - Barbarian culture group
    Karthadastim, Saba - Carthaginian culture group
    Saka, Sauromatae - Nomad culture group
    SPQR - Roman culture group
    Last edited by bobbin; 04-07-2009 at 22:08.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Highways for other factions

Thank you very much

This is the exact info I was looking for!

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Question Re: Highways for other factions

@Centurio Nixalsverdrus:

Shouldn't the "Strategos" be "Stratege"? I believe I remember TA saying that once.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Highways for other factions

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    @Centurio Nixalsverdrus:

Shouldn't the "Strategos" be "Stratege"? I believe I remember TA saying that once.
    Hmm, Maion said "Strategos". You can hear Strategos pretty much everywhere, so I didn't really bother anyway.