Poll: Do you play with or without battle time limit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play with or without battle time limit?

Default Do you play with or without battle time limit?

How do you play? I'm always playing without battle time limit (in Vanilla Rome I played with), because it's a way too short, especially when fighting sieges and it's more realistic.

edit: Yes means with limit
    No without

I hope it's clear.
    Last edited by TheStranger; 04-29-2009 at 11:27.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Default Re: Do you play with or without battle time limit?

Could have been phrased better...

-Do you play with or without?

-Yes
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Voted yes....but sometimes the answer is no :p

There are a cpl of problems with using no time limit; if you draw the AI into a really bad attack...particularly when it has overwhelming numbers it will just sit; either you attack and give up your advantage (getting slaughtered) or sit forever: if I expect "woods" to be a factor I will play with the limit-enemy units getting stuck routing can take a long time to find _ had one game go to -10mins.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Default AW: Do you play with or without battle time limit?

Looks like many have experienced AI, that never attacks you, even if it started the battle (like sieges for example). It can be pretty annoying if the AI attacks a city with a small garrison after they have builded seigeweapons, but don't attack. You have to move out and get massacred even if you would be able to hold the walls against them.

But after some other members have suggested to play without it, I will try a second Mak campaign without timelimit. Hope I don't get frustrated.

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Member Member Tychon Miletou Ionikes's Avatar

Generally I play without the time limit, as I find it unrealistic. However, as some have said, it's very frustrating when you're being sieged and the AI just sit there, so sometimes I turn it off.

Just don't let that sort of thing happen... With higher-ground situations and bridge battles, usually some missile units are sufficient to convince the AI to get killed.
    However, battle-AI aggression responds to casualties, not attack by it's self. So it is useless to try shooting at a phalanx from the front if you want it to cross a bridge.
    If all else fails - just stop winning un-realistically. To beat a full stack, one would usually need at least a full stack. Makes the campaign much more challenging due to upkeep issues and other army logistics related stuff.
    Definitely no timelimit for me.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

I used to play without time limit but got fed up of the AI's camping, the limit isn't too bad and i'm rarely pressed for time in my battles.

I play with. Time is usually enough to finish any battle. Only in big sieges it can be a problem, on the other hand, it helps to end the battle without lurking all over the map, trying to find out what enemy unit is stuck and where.

With time limit, unless attacking a stone-walled city. It just takes too long to secure enough of the walls.

Blog Entries

The time limit there is, is still too long for me.

I used to play with time limit because there were a few occasions in Vanilla where the enemy sieging would lose their assault, and just sit there outside the walls and wait. Since I wouldn't have adequate forces to beat them, I would have to surrender, which was quite frustrating.

However I soon began to find that when I was the one sieging, I either wouldn't have enough time to win (especially is a lot of time is spent beating the enemy on the walls), or I would feel rushed, so now I play with it off.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

I usually play without. Earlier on I hated the time limit - most time I besieged the AI and I hated to see me loose the battle 5 seconds before the last two soldiers on the main square fell

Since it could be set I always choose time limit OFF. When it comes to the enemy besieging me I turn it on during camapign since the AI really likes to just stand before youre walls. Right after the battle is over I turn it off again. Till now it has worked perfectly.
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 04-29-2009 at 15:52. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Quote Originally Posted by HunGeneral View Post
    I usually play without. Earlier on I hated the time limit - most time I besieged the AI and I hated to see me loose the battle 5 seconds before the last two soldiers on the main square fell

Since it could be set I always choose time limit OFF. When it comes to the enemy besieging me I turn it on during camapign since the AI really likes to just stand before youre walls. Right after the battle is over I turn it off again. Till now it has worked perfectly.

Hmm, good idea, I might give that a try.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

without limit-limit is a pain during sieges. That said, I never failed to capture a city before the time was up, but I don't like being constrained. besides, battles typically lasted longer in real life (outside of the greeks), and its a true challenge to b on the defensive and outnumbered, as you have to rout the entire enemy rather than hunker down and dodge the enemy.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-29-2009 at 16:23.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

I play with it because it's never really been a problem for me. I've learned not to bother attacking stone-walled cities with large garrisons anyway, better to siege them out. And for most enemies it's not that hard to fight out a battle in the time given, though sometimes it's really close.
    Parthian Nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by Beanerz View Post
    Could have been phrased better...

-Do you play with or without?

-Yes
    I know I saw it when it was too late, but it can't be edited.

I never Play with time limit, there was no time limit in ancient battles, so the answer is No.

Cheers.

is on the outside looking out Member PraetorFigus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    I know I saw it when it was too late, but it can't be edited.
    Could a Moderator change the question for you?

I play without the time limit, I prefer that, since it seems to force the AI to engage when it has an advantage on the battlefield, and I've also had battles where they attack and wait for me to advance to them! Who knows maybe I'm seeing things

Only problem I've had is CTDs after fighting several battles on AI's turn

Cheers
    "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

"Mortui Tantum Terminem Belli Viderunt" (Only the dead have seen the end of war)
    a technical memory solution

Hi,

I stopped using time limits before i started playing EB as there are just too many ways to abuse the system with ranged units or cavalry. Beside the fact that you never had to 'lose' a battle ( allowing you to get plenty of units healed) you could engage in endless skirmishing with your missile + cavalry stacks to beat of seiging forces or just to weaken enemy stacks until you could defeat them. Inside your city walls you could often distract enemy units ( if you were not totally outnumbered) long enough to let the time run out...

So yes, i play with the time off as that forces you to win battles when you pick them and make skirmishing somewhat harder. This is just one of the few dozen house rules i am currently playing with. :)

Stellar

Without time limit, I could win just about any sally battle with just a (horesborne)general against anything....(see spoiler if you don't know how, but its incredibly cheesy, almost as cheesy as Horse Archers;))

Likewise, sieging any kind of largish garrison without a time limit is also just too easy. (It basically involves using runners to take all the towers, and let the enemies own walls kill itself).

So always a time limit for me. Adds quite a lot more drama/strategy to the battle (e.g. secure a gate, and head an elite force to the city [] drawing off wall defenders, then attacking at the now weakened walls)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Take one General Unit. Head out of walls towards Huge Army. Tease/faint attacks, until a unit or two start to follow. Run away a short distance. Repeat until following units are in range of tower walls. Run around the walls (stopping and starting, they have to keep following), until persuing units are dead (optional charge when you get bored and they are highly depleted). Repeat until units are dead. With unlimited time, I assure you its entirely possibly, even against a stack of 20 Elites...ALMOST as cheesy as using 3 units of Horse Archers to beat 10 times that many foot soldiers...almost ;)

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Its also easy to just run in and out of the city gates if theres only enemy cavalry left unengaged. They die like flies from the gatehouse towers while you barely have to run at all
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

I play with the time limit because of a very traumatic event back when I was playing vanilla (it was RTW 1.0, so all the bugs were still there):

I had captured Larissa with the Brutii and Macedon besieged it and then assaulted. The problem was I was a little too good at stopping the assault. One unit broke while in the siege tower. Even if all other units had either fled or been destroyed on the walls and my army had suffered few casualties I had no choice but to exit the battle because I had no time limit and I couldn't find a way to kill the 5-6 enemies in the tower (i tried firing all my remaining arrows from outside the wall and attacking the tower with infantry). I also lost my best general there.

I guess this bug has since been fixed but I just don't want to repeat that immensely annoying experience so I always make sure to have a time limit.

Without. Everytime since that option became available. Quite often I fight battles where I'm attacking so I have to spend time on maneuvering, skirmishing, engaging and defeating the enemy, ohhh and chasing the routers. When you are playing as a Hellenic faction it consumes quite some time as phalanxes are slow. I don't like to be constrained, so that one more reason to play without the time limit.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: Do you play with or without battle time limit?

I do not understand. Some people seem to be saying they switch the time limit on and off throughout their campaign. That is not possible, is it? You cannot change it in the middle of the campaign, just like you cannot change unit size or difficulty. Nevertheless, I have heard of a program that will allow you to change the difficulty/unit size midway. But not time limits.

As for time limits themselves, I play without them. I loathe being constrained by time, both in EB and RL. I prefer to do all my assignments slow, lengthy and steady, producing high-quality work. In EB my playing style is likewise slow and steady, very carefully measured to minimise the casualties to the absolute minimum. In my sieges (Large Unit Size), I almost never lose more than 50 men, no matter how large the enemy force is.

So anyway, I remember one time when four units of my Levy Phalangites formed a semi-square blocking off a road leading into one of the town plazas, in Sparte. Then I had a unit of Cretans fire at two silver-chevron Spartan bodyguards to draw them into my sarissas. So the dumb Hellenes took the bait and went for the archers, only to find themselves confronted with the pikes.

(my phalangites in green, with the red arrows being the Spartans)

It took me a total of 28 minutes on triple game speed to kill off and rout those Spartans (I timed it out of posterity). I simply left the computer on and went along my business while my phalangites (one unit on top of another for maximum effectiveness) nibbled on those Spartans. Sure, a charge in the back of the Spartans could have been possible on open field, but their backs were facing the main central plaza, and there was another silver-chevron unit of Hoplitai guarding their backs, making a cavalry or an infantry charge in the back too costly.

So that is why I do not play timed.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 04-30-2009 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    I do not understand. Some people seem to be saying they switch the time limit on and off throughout their campaign. That is not possible, is it? You cannot change it in the middle of the campaign, just like you cannot change unit size or difficulty. Nevertheless, I have heard of a program that will allow you to change the difficulty/unit size midway. But not time limits.
    I found it out a while ago myself: just press ESC click on options and there should be something written like "no time limit for camapign battles" with a square next to it - if it has a tick next to it then there won't be any time limits, if there isn't then there will. All you have to do to change it is to click on that box (would add screenshot but I'm not near my comp with EB).
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

lol i voted for yes , as in i play without the time limit .. then i read the rest of your post.

They call me Flavius Member Belisarius II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by julius_caesar_the_first View Post
    I play with the time limit because of a very traumatic event back when I was playing vanilla (it was RTW 1.0, so all the bugs were still there):

I had captured Larissa with the Brutii and Macedon besieged it and then assaulted. The problem was I was a little too good at stopping the assault. One unit broke while in the siege tower. Even if all other units had either fled or been destroyed on the walls and my army had suffered few casualties I had no choice but to exit the battle because I had no time limit and I couldn't find a way to kill the 5-6 enemies in the tower (i tried firing all my remaining arrows from outside the wall and attacking the tower with infantry). I also lost my best general there.

I guess this bug has since been fixed but I just don't want to repeat that immensely annoying experience so I always make sure to have a time limit.

This is the reason I don't play without the time limit also. I had 5 units hold off a full stack, but there was 2 archers in a tower. I was forced to quit and be defeated.
    "Possunt quia posse videntur." - Virgil - "They can because they think they can."

you can always alt+ctrl+delete , terminate rtw.exe and load the battle again ? =P

I never thought of that

good idea

Never used time limit.
    I like to take my time when sieging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast