Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1545

Thread: Rubicon [Concluded]

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Rubicon (Concluded)

Great game, Tincow!
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

So... let your battle cry be "Victory! Victory and Glory for Rome!"
    I've won. It is such a hard thing to believe that.

With Jolt, who was the real winner in all of this. I never suspected to win, I thought I would evidence that I had a role. Ive sent the subtle hint in the thread, and I PM'ed Cato with a traductor, and I've wrote "Mei praetor amicus". I dont know to today what he wrote.

This evidenced the latin words, henceforth we discovered that we were Cicero and Cato.

The QT idea was mine, but the real purpose of me was to create a fake QT to blame other people, not to organize. Then Jolt created the Congregation of Heroes.

What can I say? Im not good at playing as a stoic, even though Im somehow stoic, and I kinda dissapointed, basically I played as a regular townie... with powerfull roles.

I stopped using the Cato rhetoric speech to make them believe that Cato was down. Cato was long forgotten into the succesion of things.

I suspected CDF, yet Jolt didnt want to hear. Also, we thought that both Pompey and Caesar were alive. Looked like so, Jolt even send me a PM saying "I KNOW WHO CAESAR IS!!!!!" and didnt wrote the name :here goes a whip smile:

Good job Jolt. Good job Sasaki. I just investigated the wrong ones so they didnt make teh mistake. :smiles here:

We are the champions, my friends....

Oh and Jolt, Ive sent you the 2 PMS of Beefy and MM, just in case :P

Was it coincidence that Jolt, being portugese speaker, and me, spanish speaker, defend Rome, the civilization that gave us our languages?

Well done TinCow. Simply well done.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Well, Chaotix since I investigated you and saw that you were lying about being the woman, I'd say you'd be lynched by us sooner or later unless you revealed. But then if you revealed you'd probably be killed by the Mafia. So you were dead anyway. I was about to convert you, but I'm not sure whether I would have suceeded or not. TinCow?
    BLARGH!

Caius must have suspected I was Cicero through my "moderator" Role-Playing and through my eloquent sentences. I was roleplaying that way exactly to see if Cato would notice me as he did. He originally contacted me by saying "Tu narro iustum, mei praetor amicus", which stands for "You speak justice, my friend Praetor." While it immediatly came to my mind that Caius could be Cato, the fact that he put "mei praetor amicus", made me suspect that he was a Mafia who had investigated me in night 1 could check Role PM's, and since in my Role PM, it is advised to speak Latin, it would be logical that Cato would also speak latin for me to recognise him. Unfortunatly, I deleted that conversation with him, so I can't explain what I said to Caius in latin, as I did originally reply to it in Latin. In any case, I quit playing around the bush and asked whether he was Cato, to which he asked my identity, and I revealed as being Cicero. Afterwards, he proposed creating QTs to incriminate people in case we come under pressure. From there, I took the liberty of creating our own QT to coordinate our actions better. I made it clear that the QT link wasn't to be given to anyone under any circumstance, other than our future recruits, (And even these would be subject to some scrutiny) to assure that our "Planning hall" wasn't infiltrated.
    BLARGH!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Well, Chaotix since I investigated you and saw that you were lying about being the woman, I'd say you'd be lynched by us sooner or later unless you revealed. But then if you revealed you'd probably be killed by the Mafia. So you were dead anyway. I was about to convert you, but I'm not sure whether I would have suceeded or not. TinCow?
    An attempt to convert Chaotix would have resulted in failure. He could not be converted by the Orators or recruited by either mafia family.

Note that Chaotix was not lying about who he was. If you read his role PM (posted with all the others) you will see that one of his abilities was to appear to be the same faction as whoever was investigating him. For Orator investigations, this also included a unique Senator name that was not otherwise in the game.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    An attempt to convert Chaotix would have resulted in failure. He could not be converted by the Orators or recruited by either mafia family.

Note that Chaotix was not lying about who he was. If you read his role PM (posted with all the others) you will see that one of his abilities was to appear to be the same faction as whoever was investigating him. For Orator investigations, this also included a unique Senator name that was not otherwise in the game.
    Yep. I even mentioned it in the thread, too, although I didn't explain it fully.

You'll notice those two senators were the same ones who left to warn me in my lynch write-up.

Another thing- I never once lied during the game. Everything I said was at least a half truth, or otherwise people assumed I agreed by silence.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 06-10-2009 at 22:00.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post

I read his role. But I didn't know his role in teh game so I supposed he was lying.
    BLARGH!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

This was a great game to get my toes wet, thanks!
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Congratulations to all survivors, particularly Caius, The Flax and LG. Magnificently played and a deserved victory. Commiserations to JohnHughTom, a great effort unfortunately falling short.

Thanks to Tincow for hosting an epic and imaginative game. I apologise for my lack of particiaption after death, but I've just started exams. If I was alive a greater effort would have been made but... (by the way, Tincow do you mind me asking if some of the characters were altered slightly to balance the game more? I study this period at university and I noticed a few inconsistencies, I'd assume that Quintus Curio is an amalgamation of Curio my namesake and Quintus Cassius (neither of whom was a praetor, they were tribunes) and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, an important populares, was the urban Praetor, yet didn't get the office in game (off the top of my head). I'd also be interested to know where you found all the information but back to some actual feedback on the game.....)

The reason I targeted Sasaki when I did was a possibly misplaced feeling of an optimates conspiracy in support of Pompeius, with Sasaki pulling the strings. For this reason I decided to try and alter things by pulling the few populares I knew of (including JohnHughTom and Iskander) away from his group and slowly try and subtly support Caesar. At the same time if Sasaki's group lost its leader I was confident that chaos would ensue. I was luckily proven right, but then was killed before I could take advantage of the situation. (So you see Sasaki; I was targeting a dangerous adversary, you should feel honoured. ... ).

Once again, congratulations to the Republicans (I'll get you next time *shakes fist*).

And finally, Andres, I would have picked the fake PM, Clodius was already long dead by the time of the civil war. Did anybody pick mine (below), out of curiosity?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    Many thanks for volunteering to serve as a replacement.

You are replacing Don Corleone. He has never posted and your character has never been involved in any night actions, so it's pretty much a blank slate for you. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any questions.

---------

“Force without wisdom falls of its own weight.”
    - Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Gaius Scribonius Curio (Curio)
    Senator
    (Populares Faction)

A prosperous Roman Senator, you have achieved great success in life. You were Tribune in 50 BC. Because your former close friendship with Marcus Antonius, you have always been a die-hard Populares. Caesar is clearly the political leader of his cousin Antonius, and you supported his attempt to hold onto his army during the previous year. Despite being your own man if you are going to abandon the Republic and take sides, it is to him that your loyalties will fall.

Victory Conditions:
    (1) Eliminate all Caesarians and Pompeians. You will be victorious even if you are dead if this goal is met.

OR

(2) Survive and eliminate all Optimates Faction Members, including Pompeians.

Role Description:
    Night Actions:
    (1) With 1 other Senator, you can investigate one player per night. Successful investigations will show the target's faction.
    (2) With 2 other Senators, you can attempt to protect one player per night. Any player you protect will be very difficult to kill that night.
    (3) With 3 other Senators, you can attempt to kill one player per night.

Special Ability:
    (1) Manumission: You have several slaves in your household. For years now, you have been training one of them as a gladiator to fight for your profit. This man has become a deadly weapon, and in this time of crisis, he is a weapon that may be worth using. In return for his freedom, he will attempt to assassinate anyone you wish. You can attempt to kill another player by yourself one time.
    Last edited by Gaius Scribonius Curio; 06-11-2009 at 02:40. Reason: Adding fake PM
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Great game TC!

I'm actually amazed that I survived the game. Due to my previous poor record of participation, I usually get lynched if I participate.

What I think helped my survival was my ability to switch sides. The Pompeians wouldn't want to lynch me, being an Optimates, while Caesar's crew would hope that I'd switch and thus mean one less kill they'd have to do.

For the record, I suspected Sasaki as being Pompey, and GSC as Caesar.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Caius must have suspected I was Cicero through my "moderator" Role-Playing and through my eloquent sentences. I was roleplaying that way exactly to see if Cato would notice me as he did. He originally contacted me by saying "Tu narro iustum, mei praetor amicus", which stands for "You speak justice, my friend Praetor." While it immediatly came to my mind that Caius could be Cato, the fact that he put "mei praetor amicus", made me suspect that he was a Mafia who had investigated me in night 1 could check Role PM's, and since in my Role PM, it is advised to speak Latin, it would be logical that Cato would also speak latin for me to recognise him. Unfortunatly, I deleted that conversation with him, so I can't explain what I said to Caius in latin, as I did originally reply to it in Latin. In any case, I quit playing around the bush and asked whether he was Cato, to which he asked my identity, and I revealed as being Cicero. Afterwards, he proposed creating QTs to incriminate people in case we come under pressure. From there, I took the liberty of creating our own QT to coordinate our actions better. I made it clear that the QT link wasn't to be given to anyone under any circumstance, other than our future recruits, (And even these would be subject to some scrutiny) to assure that our "Planning hall" wasn't infiltrated.
    Originally, that was right. I have the whole PM conversation between you and me, Im in UNi right now. I will ask you what did it say, I dont remember at all.

Also, we PM'ed each other in TWC when the org went down. He said:
    "Et tu Cato?"

which I replied

"Et tu Cicero?"

Im glad he turned out to be Cicero. I would had died if he wasnt.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Scribonius Curio View Post
    Thanks to Tincow for hosting an epic and imaginative game. I apologise for my lack of particiaption after death, but I've just started exams. If I was alive a greater effort would have been made but... (by the way, Tincow do you mind me asking if some of the characters were altered slightly to balance the game more? I study this period at university and I noticed a few inconsistencies, I'd assume that Quintus Curio is an amalgamation of Curio my namesake and Quintus Cassius (neither of whom was a praetor, they were tribunes) and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, an important populares, was the urban Praetor, yet didn't get the office in game (off the top of my head). I'd also be interested to know where you found all the information but back to some actual feedback on the game.....)
    Yes, some small historical alterations were made to allow for better playability. The most significant one was calling Cicero a Populares, and I felt that was so bad that I had to include a footnote about it in the Cicero role PM. It had to be done though, since I really did have to have one Populares Orator and one Optimates Orator. When it came to picking two roles to be pure-Republican victory only, Cato and Cicero were the obvious choices. It would have been insanity to pick someone other than them. At the same time, it was also ridiculous to call Cato anything but Optimates, which left Cicero the only one I could fudge as a Populares.

As for other changes, some players held positions that would have warranted Lictors (such as Lepidus), but I didn't give that power to them for play balance reasons. I also greatly fudged the political system to make it fit into a mafia setting. Proscriptions were never done by consensus, but that system seemed to fit the setting far better than lynchings. In addition, the Consuls should have had far greater powers in the Senate than they did, but I didn't give them those powers because they both had to be Optimates and thus it would have been unbalanced. At one point in my draft, I included the Tribune of the Plebs position as an elected office every 2 day phases with the power to veto any proscription. However, I canned this due to historical inaccuracy. First, the Senate didn't elect the Tribunes. Second, they didn't change every two days and I couldn't figure out a way to narrate that that wouldn't have been ridiculous.

Your namesake actually was in the game, manifested as a Praetor played by GeneralHankerchief. Wikipedia says that Curio was also known as Quintus Scribonius Curio, and since I thought you might end up playing the game, I called him Quintus instead of Gaius to avoid potential confusion.

For sources, a lot of the background is just from my own knowledge. I majored in History in college and I'm pretty much a history nut. I've got several 8' bookcases covered in nothing but history books and it constitutes the majority of my recreational reading (currently reading a history of the Royal Navy from 1648 to 1815). Rome has always been one of the largest areas of my focus, so I have a decent understanding of the history and culture of the time period.

The finer details were provided by consulting my own books and (obviously) from the internet, mainly Wikipedia. I love history a great deal and like educating people about it, which is why every role PM had multiple links to Wikipedia articles. I was hoping that some people might learn a bit about the time period in addition to just playing a game. Wikipedia is surprisingly detailed in Roman history, and there was a lot of good info I got from there (I had never even heard of Speculatores before I started work on this game). If you look at the unused roles list, most of the Senators I did not use had very small Wikipedia descriptions. I did not use them because I wanted players to have more interesting historical backgrounds to read.

Similarly, I called the Dictator propaganda ability "Acta Diurna" because it was the only Wikipedia article I could find on something similar. At that point I had used Wikipedia links for so many things that I was afraid using non-Wiki links would make some legit role PMs appear fake if they were posted. So, I just went with the closest Wiki articles I could find. Thus also the "Damnatio Memoriae" ability, which I would have preferred to called Defection.

Info on a lot of the Senators was easy to come by, but one hurdle I had was actually figuring out who the Praetors were in 49BC. I couldn't find an easy list in any of my books and it wasn't on most of my Roman history websites either. Eventually I found this website, which claims to show Senate composition in 49BC. That's how I found Aulus Allienus as the second Praetor. In the beginning I also tried to narrate real events from Caesar's march on Rome, but time constraints made me drop that relatively quickly. Here are two more websites on Roman History that I've had bookmarked for years, I consulted both of them as well. Livius in particular is excellent, and has a great section on the history of the individual legions.

This historical basis will continue in any other mafia games I host, simply because I love it. Just the background research required to do it I find to be very enjoyable and worthwhile on its own. As noted in my commentary, my original plan was for the Thirty Years War. That will probably be my focus for the second game. I suspect people won't be quite as interested in that time period as in Late Roman Republic, but I honestly think it's a much neglected part of history. The Thirty Years War was essentially the Bourbons and the Hapsburgs fighting for supremacy in Europe with Germany (Holy Roman Empire) as the battleground. Add on to that the fact that pretty much every other medium and minor power in Europe decided to get involved to pursue their own objectives, and you've got a period of war, chaos, political infighting, and shifting alliances that makes the perfect setting for a mafia game. Top it off with the Catholic/Protestant struggle that was the superficial excuse for all of this, and it's essentially my dream game.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-11-2009 at 14:27.

It's a pity, I won't get Cicero (Most probably) in the sequel :(
    BLARGH!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rubicon (In Play)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Funny part of the game to me was when I thought you were accusing GeneralHankerchief so I quoted our pm convo to give you the support you wanted and it turned out you were accusing me :D
    Hahaha.

I have to admit, I thought it was really weird both Andres and Cultured Drizzt Fan were both very keen to work with me. Them (out of the whole list I people I used) were both the most co-operative and couldn't do enough.

However, you attracted my attention more with the whole AggonyDuck thing and after killing people. Which led closer in bed with both Caesar and Pompey.

It is your fault, Sasaki.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rubicon (In Play)

Well done everybody. TinCow, that was an excellent job as a first-time host. I wish I had participated more, but unfortunately my being dead did not mesh very well with all of the behind-the-scenes activity going on. I eagerly look forward to future games.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152