Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes & Foxes: Mortal Kombat [Concluded]

Eating Babies since 1983 Member Sprig's Avatar

Default Snakes & Foxes: Mortal Kombat [Concluded]

Snakes & Foxes: Mortal Kombat

==========================================

500 years ago, Shang Tsung was banished to the Earth Realm. With the aid of a huge and powerful warrior, Goro, he was to unbalance the furies and doom the planet to a chaotic existence. By seizing control of the shaolin tournament he tried to tip the scales of order towards chaos. Only seven warriors survived the battles from the previous shaolin tournament and Shang Tsung's scheme came to a violent end at the hands of Liu Kang.

Facing execution for his failure and the apparent death of Goro, Tsung convinces his dark emperor, Shao Kahn to grant him a second chance... Shang Tsung's new plan is to lure his enemies to compete in the Outworld

Now, the Kombat kontinues...

Disclaimer: thanks to Niklas who let me borrow some of the rules & idea from his snakes & foxes 3. And also to Chand who I am led to believe made up this game.

Basic setup: A number of characters, each with their own special set of abilities, participate in a grand tournament. Every morning and every evening, two contestants face off to the death in the arena. During the day, all participants vote on which two contestants to do battle the next morning. During the night, the Mark, a hidden faction among the contestants, decide who should do battle the upcoming evening. The goal for the Mark is to outnumber the non-Mark. The goal for the non-Mark ("innocents") is to root out the Mark and be the last remaining team. The game ends when either side achieves its goal.

Time and Voting: The game will be divided into cycles consisting of a day and a night. Each day and night will last 48 hours, RL time. There will be four updates per cycle - morning, midday, evening, and midnight.

IMPORTANT: All "effects" will happen at the time of an update. This includes things like results from using scanners and other items - they will not be reported as soon as I see them, but rather at the next update. This is both to simplify my running the game, but also to make it fairer on people in time zones other than my own.

During the day - lasting from the morning post to the evening post - all contestants will vote on which two contestants should do battle next morning. Each contestant receives two votes, each of which can be for a contestant to do battle. The two votes cannot be placed on characters of the same team (and in particular not on the same character). The two contestants with the most votes to their name at the end of the day will do battle next morning. The contestant with the second most votes will have the advantage of choosing the arena (see battle resolution below).

During the night, the Mark will pick two contestants to do battle the following evening.

IMPORTANT: The two contestants that are chosen to fight will be taken into isolation by the contest officials at midday or midnight respectively, so that they may prepare for the battle. While in isolation they cannot purchase items, and no items or other effects may be used on them. Thus, all such things must be done before the first 24 hours of the day/night has passed. No changes can be made during the following 24 hours.

During the day, all contestants may also bet on the outcome of the battle about to happen the coming evening. During the night, the bet will be on the outcome of the battle about to happen the coming morning. Note in particular that this means that there is no ban on talking in the thread during the night.

Teams: The contest is conducted in four teams with three members each and a special team containing two members. Teams are important for two primary reasons. First, each living team member gets 100 mana every morning, increasing the total mana owned by the team. The longer they stay alive, the more mana they will bring in, up to the point when (if) they die. At that half of their mana will be redistributed among the other team members (see battle spoils below). Second, If you are not a mark, if you team is the only remaining team then you are victorious.

Team leaders have an extra 0.1 votes, allowing them to break (or create) voting ties. If a team leader is chosen to fight, they may name a successor to lead the team in case they lose. If no successor is named and the team leader is killed, a new vote is put forth among the remaining team members.

Stats: A character will typically start with 3 attacks, 3 resistances and 3 weaknesses. Your abilities (+) are your fighting style, the skills you use to bring your opponent down. Your resistances (x) are the abilities you for various reasons have no fear to face, because you know how to handle an opponent that uses them. Your weaknesses (-) on the other hand are the abilities you should pray that your opponent won't use against you, since you are extra vulnerable against them. Stats are drawn from the following pool:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Offensive:
    • Uppercut - I'll strike you into the air
    • Speed- I'll move so fast you won't know what's coming
    • Roundhouse Kick - I’ll Kick you so hard you will fly backwards
    • Jump Kick - I'll strike at you from a distance

Defenses:
    • Block - I will block your strikes before they hit me
    • Dodge - You won't hit me since I'll jump out of the way
    • Stealth - You won't strike me since you don't know where I am
    • Sweep Kick - I'll sweep your legs to keep you at a distance

Techniques:
    • Transfiguration- I can bend the physics of this world
    • Divine - My god will see me through
    • Elemental - The elements are at my command
    • Melee - My honed melee skills will see me through

Abilities: Every character will have a set number of abilities which they can activate before a battle at the cost of a set amount of mana. Abilities are reusable but can only be used once per battle. You may activate all your abilities if you have sufficient mana with the exception that you can only activate one fatality per battle.

Battle Mechanics: When two contestants do battle, I will compare their abilities against their opponent's resistances and weaknesses, and calculate the winner from that. Everything is completely deterministic, and the basic mechanics work like this:

When in a fight each +Ability gives you X points.
    If your opponent has -Ability, you get more than X points.
    If your opponent has xAbility, you get less than X points.

Any - or x that your opponent will have for which you don't have that ability will simply not count. The exact numbers used for the various cases are hidden for the sake of suspense and uncertainty.

The winner is the one that gets the most total points against the other when all abilities are counted. If both combatants get the same value against each other, the tie will be resolved as follows:
    • First tie breaker is the number of Potions of Stamina each contestant has brought into battle - whoever has the most potions wins.
    • If both combatants have the same number of potions, the second tie breaker will be the arena fought on. The contestant that got to pick the arena will win. This means battles can never result in a draw.

Mana: Every contestant starts off with 300 mana. Every morning, each living contestant receives an additional 150 Mana. Mana can change hands during betting, and as spoils after a battle. Mana can also be given freely between contestants.

Mana will be separated into visible mana and actual mana.

The visible mana is the total amount of mana the character has received either through the morning updates, battle spoils or betting. The visable mana for all contestants will be listed in the first post.

The actual mana will be how much is left after expenditure on items, gifting to other players etc. This will be hidden and reported via PM when it changes (apart from when it changes from the income every morning).

IMPORTANT: A contestant who is scheduled to do battle may not give any of their mana away.

Betting: All battles will be open for betting on who will win. The odds for the bet will be directly determined by how many bet on each combatant, so no new mana is generated into the overall pool. The minimum bet will be 50 mana. You may change your bet up to the fight actually happens, with one exception - you can never withdraw mana that has been bet. Once you've given a sum to the bookkeepers, you won't get it back. You can add more mana, and you can change who to bet it on, but you can't withdraw it.

As an example, assume 1000 mana is bet on contestant A to win over B, and 2000 mana is bet on B to win over A. If A were to defeat B, someone betting 100 mana on A would receive that mana back plus another 200 mana from the pool. If instead B were to defeat A, someone betting 100 mana on B would receive that mana back plus another 50 mana from the pool. Fractions of mana disappear into nothing.

IMPORTANT: A contestant may not bet on themselves to win.

Battle spoils: When a contestant dies in battle, their mana will be split between the contestant that defeated them and their remaining team members. The mana to be distributed includes the actual mana total, plus the total amount of mana that the contestant has spent on items and on abilities during fight. In other words, all items and Mana used in battle are refunded upon death and added to the mana to be distributed. Of the total mana, one halfwill be given to the victor of the battle where the contestant was killed, and the remaining half will be distributed equally among the living team members of the contestant. Any fractions magically disappear. If the killed contestant was the last of their team, all the spoils will befall the victor.

Items & Power ups: There is an assortment of power ups and item that you can buy using your mana that you gain:

• Power ups:
      Power ups is a generic term for items that give you an extra ability to use in fights. For instance you may purchase a Stealth power up to give you +Stealth, or a Speed powerup to get +Speed. What you must pick is the ability you want the equipment to give you.

The cost of power up’s are progressive. The first power up you purchase will cost 400 mana. For every other power up you purchase thereafter, the cost will increase by another 400 mana. In other words the second powerup you purchase will cost 800 mana, the third will cost 1200 mana, etc. Which ability you purchase is irrelevant for the cost, the only thing that matters is how many you buy.

Power ups can be refunded for the same cost you bought them. However this will not decrease the cost of the next power up you buy! In other words, if you purchase two power ups for 400 and 800 mana respectively, and you then decide to refund the power up to get 400 mana back, your next piece of equipment will still cost 1200 mana.

• Potions:

Potion of Stamina: 200 mana. These potions are used in battle to give you an extra one-time boost if needed. For the purposes of game mechanics, they will serve as tie breakers in the case the matched stats end up in a draw. See more in the section on battle resolution.

• Scanners:
      Scanners are items that you use to assess other contestants, to figure out their abilities, weaknesses and resistances. These items come in various strengths, where one of lower strength can be upgraded to one of the next highest strength. Each scanner, regardless of strength, can be used once per day/night cycle to get information on one opponent.

Scanner, MkI: 600 mana. Gives you 1 random Weaknesses/Resistances from the targeted contestant.

Scanner, MkII: +600 mana. Gives you 3 random Weaknesses/Resistances from the targeted contestant.

Scanner, MkIII: +600 mana. Gives you 5 random Weaknesses/Resistances/Abilities from the targeted contestant.

Scanner, MkIV: +600 mana. Gives you 7 random Weaknesses/Resistances/Abilities from the targeted contestant.

Scanner, MkV: +600 mana. Gives you 9 random Weaknesses/Resistances/Abilities from the targeted contestant.

• Prophetic items:
      There are two kinds of prophetic items, i.e. items to figure out if a character is a mark or not.

Token of Divination: 1500 mana. This is a one-use item that reveals whether a targeted contestant is a mark or not.

Crystal Ball: 1500 mana. This item can be used once per day/night cycle on one contestant to reveal randomly one of their special abilities.

IMPORTANT: Items purchased are personal, and cannot be transferred to another contestant. Also no items are refundable, with the special exception of Power ups as discussed above.

Special Powers: Every character has a unique power. These are not incredibly high-powered, to not disrupt the balance of the game, they are just something that makes your character unique and could give you an edge if the circumstances are right. Note that it is very hard for someone else to figure out your special power unless you tell actually them, so it's a good idea to keep it to yourself.

Last edited by Sprig; 01-12-2010 at 10:22.
    Bad.

Default Re: Snakes & Foxes: Mortal Kombat (Sign ups)

Characters:

Team listing and visible mana totals:

The Suction Mages
    1. Mileena (johnhughthom) [TL]- (1,233 mana)
    2. Sub Zero (Captain Blackadder) - (0 mana) Defeated Morning 1 by Reptile
    3. Scorpion (Thermal Mercury) - (0 mana) Defeated Evening 1 by Raiden- Mark !!!

The DROW BRIGADE!
    1. Jax (Centurion) [TL] - (0 mana) - Defeated Evening 5 by Raiden
    2. Reptile (Cultured Drizzt fan) - (0 mana) - Defeated Morning 5 by Shao Kahn
    3. Baraka (Gekkamir) - (0 mana) Defeated Morning 4 by Shang Tsung- Mark !!!

Fatality!
    1. Liu Kang (Beskar) [TL] - (0 mana) Defeated Morning 3 by Kintaro
    2. Johnny Cage (CCRunner) - (0 mana) Defeated Morning 2 by Jax
    3. Shang Tsung (Khazaar) - (2,341 mana)

Raiden's Raiders
    1. Raiden (Choxorn) [TL] - (2,598 mana)
    2. Kung Lao (Askthepizzaguy) - (0 mana) - Defeated Evening 2 by Shao Kahn
    3. Kitana - (spL1tp3r50naL1ty) - (0 mana) - Defeated Evening 3 by Mileena

Skull N' Arms
    1. Kintaro (Seon) - (0 mana) - Defeated Evening 4 by Jax- Mark !!!
    2. Shao Kahn (Yaropolk) [TL] - (2,149 mana)

=======================================

Contest progress:

Morning 0: Shao Kahn announces the start of Mortal Kombat!
    Evening 0: The combatants for the first battle are chosen.
    Morning 1: Reptile gives Sub Zero an Acid Bath
    Evening 1: Raiden impales the Mark Scorpion in the tomb
    Morning 2: Jax sends Johnny Cage into the pit.
    Evening 2: Kahn Makes an Example out of Kung Lao
    Morning 3: Kintaro Crushes Liu Kang
    Evening 3: Mileena Devours Kitana
    Morning 4: Shang Tsung steals a soul the the Mark, Baraka
    Evening 4: Jax Smashes the Mark, Kintaro's Head into a bloody pulp
    Morning 5: Khan makes it two from two and makes Reptile his play toy.
    Evening 5:Raiden electrocutes Jax
    Morning 6:
    Evening 6:
    Morning 7:
    Evening 7:

Players: 14/14

Choxorn
    Thermal Mercury
    Cultured Drizzt fan
    Captain Blackadder
    Yaropolk
    Gekkamir
    Centurion
    Beskar
    Askthepizzaguy
    Seon
    CCRunner
    spL1tp3r50naL1ty
    Khazaar
    johnhughthom

Reserves
    Beefy187
    Winston Hughes

Signups are now Closed!
    Last edited by Sprig; 02-09-2010 at 10:40.
    Bad.

Blog Entries

**** YEAH

FIRST IN!

Oh and have me in as either scorpion or baraka seeing as ermac isn't there.... not sure if I get to choose but if I do one of them 2, thanks.
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-02-2010 at 05:04.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sign me up as a reserve

Never played Mortal Kombat. I'm more of Tekken, Street Fighter guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

You will need to choose a charater and which team you would like to be in.

e.g. Sub-zero, team 3.

@ Beefy: Both Tekken and SF are better fighting games but MK allows me to have the brutality that I wanted to capture. Sure you can defeat your opponent and see his unconscious body on the floor in a Tekken and SF setting. But as you will see in my game, your could rip your opponants head right off.
    Last edited by Sprig; 01-02-2010 at 05:17.
    Bad.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

In

Reptile, Team 2
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Bastion of Sanity Member Captain Blackadder's Avatar

In Sub Zero team 1

Coming Soon to a Gameroom Near You

In, as Shao Khan

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
    You will need to choose a charater and which team you would like to be in.

e.g. Sub-zero, team 3.

@ Beefy: Both Tekken and SF are better fighting games but MK allows me to have the brutality that I wanted to capture. Sure you can defeat your opponent and see his unconscious body on the floor in a Tekken and SF setting. But as you will see in my game, your could rip your opponants head right off.
    I have nothing against it. Its just that I've never played it so I will have no idea how to role play characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

My experience with it is the movie I once saw about 6 years ago.

Although I believe that finding ways to put Ssss's into all of my sentences is a good start. Plus who does not like Reptile races?
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 01-02-2010 at 06:02.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    I have nothing against it. Its just that I've never played it so I will have no idea how to role play characters.
    The character pm will have enough infomation. but then again MK never did have much story behind it, it was more 'omg I just knocked that guys head off! Alternativly you can pick a guy out of my sig.

From left to right the characters are:
    Kitana, Shao Kahn, Scorpion, Baraka, Reptile, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Jax & Kintaro
    Last edited by Sprig; 01-02-2010 at 06:35.
    Bad.

I would like Baraka please. Edit: also team 2.
    Last edited by rhawn; 01-02-2010 at 08:07. Reason: put in a team

Blog Entries

I'll join blackadder in team 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
    Disclaimer:thanks to Nictel who let me borrow some of the rules & idea from his snakes & foxes 3. And also to Chand who I am led to believe made up this game.
    It was Niklas, not Nictel. Edit: Here's a link, for anyone who wants to check out the previous game (including my shambolic performance as one of the mark).

I'll sign up a reserve.
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 01-02-2010 at 15:47.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

in jax. team two.

ive played with both of them. oh and i chose jax because it just sounds tight

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will give it a try, I will go Liu Kang.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Kung Lao, please

Team Four.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Kintaro Please :p

Blog Entries

Team 3 me.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

just the shapeshifter, ballbuster and the two girls left to claim.
    Bad.

Blog Entries

Two girls go with me. I'll make you happy.

Diana Abnoba and Prole, where are you two?
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-03-2010 at 00:23.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Prole hardly ever plays these kinds of games; Diana doesn't join more than 1 or 2 at a time.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

I was joking, silly Pizza.

How about Renata?

I for one, am in. I'll join team 3 as Johnny Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by CCRunner View Post
    I for one, am in. I'll join team 3 as Johnny Cage.
    Who do you plan to come back as, after your first character gets killed?

common guys the girl characters are not so bad, they both capable of killing someone gruesomely as anyone else.
    Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    HEYOOOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    Still sour about how I publicly revealed you to everybody ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
    Midday, Day 10

As the tenth day reached its apex, no one expected anything out of the ordinary. It was yet another day, just building up for the evening fight, nothing special. The Lizardman showed no emotions as he quickly made his way towards the isolation section, but the Luridus took his fair time. Still obviously weak from his recent close run with death at the hands of the Prior, he had to use his staff to support him as he slowly followed his reptilian opponent. Halfway across the field he suddenly stopped as if to catch his breath, to the dismay of the officials that were eager to go get some lunch. The Luridus would not be rushed though.

"There is something I need to first. Bear with me."

The Priest bowed his head, grasped his staff with both hands, and started humming. The bronze sun symbol at the tip of his staff started glowing, to rival the light of his patron above, the holy light of Lugus channelled by the will of the Luridus. With a brilliant flash the bronze sun lit up the entire arena, before focusing all its light in a single direction. The Ogre had to shield his eyes with his massive arm as the rays hit him full force, but he could not shield what came next. Above the head of the tall brute, clearly visible to all by virtue of the holy light, was a spinning emblem of a gold coin engraved with a V. Suddenly this midday didn't seem so ordinary after all.

The Ogre is a Mark!

The light abated, and the Luridus smiled, before turning to follow the officials into isolation, leaving the Ogre to face the stares of the entire Theatre.

On the voting side, three contestants practically shared the first place, having three votes each. All the Paladin's votes came from team leaders giving him the top position. The officials had to dig long and hard in Perpentach's convoluted rules, but finally announced that the Shaman edged out the Frost Speaker due to having received a team leader vote before the Frost Speaker did. On the betting side there was little to add, except that Perpentach would surely not be pleased if matters persisted.

Current betting odds: Luridus vs Lizardman: N/A

Current Vote Tally:
    Paladin : 3,3 (1st voter: Paladin ; 2nd voter: Luonnotar )
    Shaman : 3,11 (1st voter: Pirate ; 2nd voter: Overlord Speaker )
    Frost Speaker : 3,1
    Courtesan, Eidolon : 2
    Brujah, Pirate, Satyr : 1

Just over 23 hours until evening post.
    Combatants, send in your battle ideas to Diamondeye!
    All contestants, keep betting and voting!
    I am the Luridus, Winston the Ogre. His team ravaged mine the entire game (seriously, I think we were in a fight every round including once between two team members) and when I died the first time, as the raider, one of my teammates had to drop out for RL reasons and I took over his role, gaining the ability which eventually revealed Winston.
    Last edited by CCRunner; 01-03-2010 at 09:52.

In as Kitana if possible, if not then Mileena.

Also if possible, team 4 please
    Last edited by Splitpersonality; 01-03-2010 at 09:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Looking for a Cul pRit Member Khazaar's Avatar

I´ll take Shang Tsung and join team 3

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast