Thread: A Tornado Watch...In Santa Cruz, CA?!?!

Default A Tornado Watch...In Santa Cruz, CA?!?!

So I've lived my entire life in the Santa Cruz/Silicon Valley area of California, and I'll tell you right now, we usually get no, that's 0 thunderstorms all year. Now we have a severe Thunderstorm warning and a Tornado watch that just expired 20 mins ago. The National Weather Service warns against "Severe thunderstorms, Hail the size of pennies, and Winds up to 60 mph. This is totally abnormal. To say I am freaked out would be putting it lightly.

For discussion:
    1. Are you guys having any sorts of freaky weather yourselves?
    2. What do you do in the event of a tornado (remember: California doesn't have basements)
    3. Should I go to class in a half hour (when the severe thunderstorms are expected to return to the area?)
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 01-20-2010 at 23:56.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: A Tornado Watch...In Santa Cruz, CA?!?!

The odds of being in the direct path of a tornado are quite small, unless you happen to get caught by some sort of monster F5, in which case you can grab your ankles and kiss your posterior goodbye.

Going to class is a good idea. Schools are usually built to higher building codes than private residences, and they often have large, windowless interior rooms, which are a great place to be (think gymnasium).

Where you don't want to be is in a room with large windows, or in a street with lots of toys for the tornado to pick up and toss around.

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Well, I've never had a tornado, but bad thunderstorms are no worry so long as you have shelter. If it's just a bad storm, then I'd suggest watching it from outside, but under cover. Especially since you never get them there, they really are quite amazing to watch. There's a few 40C(104F)+ days coming up here, so hopefully we'll get some nice storms.
    Last edited by miotas; 01-21-2010 at 01:15.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Who's the savage? Member Legosoldier's Avatar

There was also a chance of tornados too yesterday down here in Southern California. Our school almost had a lockdown just in case the storms came near the Walnut Valley. However, it never came anywhere near here and one of my teachers informed us that it might have gone to another location after hitting Orange County.
    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    "Pissing contest" pictures two 8year olds urinating on the side of a barn to see who can wet higher. Quaint.
    "Pee race" however, evokes 2 kids running a 100 yard dash with their boyhoods hanging out, spraying hither and yon furiously, as they race to the finish line. Hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Don't take a car to school, take a train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYubpuIe3cw

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

In the event of a tornado, go to the smallest, center-most room of the home. A bathroom or closet is usually the best bet. Getting in a bathtub/closet and covering yourself with a mattress may sound silly but it works. If it looks like it will definitely hit you, open your windows. Stay way from anything glass, and small objects.

In a tornado, mobile homes are death traps. So are places with large pane glass windows, like the mall in Wichita Falls where a few dozen people got shredded when a tornado hit there decades ago. Places like grocery stores will get you pummelled to death with cans of food. Even something as harmless as a straw can kill you if it hits you while travelling 300 mph.

If you are in a mobile home or stuck outside, try for somewhere low, like a drainage ditch or underground sewer. And if worse comes to worse, driving out of it is always safer than staying in a mobile home or standing in the open. Also, hiding under a bridge or highway overpass will also get you killed, unless it is a bridge in a valley or depression.

I've been in dozens of tornadoes and chased quite a few while working for television in college, including being ground zero in The Mother of All Tornados:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Ok...rnado_outbreak

http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/...io/image3.html

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...ak-477609.html
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    So I've lived my entire life in the Santa Cruz/Silicon Valley area of California, and I'll tell you right now, we usually get no, that's 0 thunderstorms all year. Now we have a severe Thunderstorm warning and a Tornado watch that just expired 20 mins ago. The National Weather Service warns against "Severe thunderstorms, Hail the size of pennies, and Winds up to 60 mph. This is totally abnormal. To say I am freaked out would be putting it lightly.

For discussion:
    1. Are you guys having any sorts of freaky weather yourselves?
    2. What do you do in the event of a tornado (remember: California doesn't have basements)
    3. Should I go to class in a half hour (when the severe thunderstorms are expected to return to the area?)
    hey, Tornadoes happen in almost every state; my mom's homestate (Ohio), gets one every while; I experienced one from there visiting Grandma*. also had another in Angleton back on 06-07. just do as lemur & Robert Dump say.

*it touched down not far from where we were-knocked a few trees and roof tiles down. luckily, no one to my knowlege was hurt.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 01-21-2010 at 07:00.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Well, it wasn't too bad. I wasn't worried about the Tornado so much as I was worried about the lightning, but, surprisingly, the lighting didn't come back (although I probably spoke too soon, and one more huge storm is coming next week).

Sometimes is seems like the national weather service causes more fear than information .

But yeah, we had a PSA on television and everything! It was all so new to me.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    [...]so much as I was worried about the lightning, but, surprisingly, the lighting didn't come back (although I probably spoke too soon, and one more huge storm is coming next week).
    Lightning is nothing to be afraid of, so long as you don't stand under a tree, and so long as you aren't the tallest thing around then you will be fine. I quite like sitting out the back in the rain when there is an afternoon thunderstorm after a hot day and watching the lightning overhead. I've even had it strike within metres of me before.

Yeah, thunderstorms are usually nothing to be really afraid of, in fact i find them romantic somehow.
    Perfect weather to be warm and cushy inside I guess.
    Sometimes I wish we got more of them actually.

Tornadoes are a different matter, our army has some but otherwise you either stay away from them or listen to the Major.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    hey, Tornadoes happen in almost every state
    We even had one hit downtown Salt Lake City about a decade back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2gTeXwdtPw

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Perfect weather to be warm and cushy inside I guess.
    Sometimes I wish we got more of them actually.

When there are thunderstorms, there is usually about equally warm outdoors as indoors to my experience.

Fun they are, yes (otherwise you were using the TV or PC).
    Last edited by Viking; 01-21-2010 at 20:17.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    Lightning is nothing to be afraid of, so long as you don't stand under a tree, and so long as you aren't the tallest thing around then you will be fine. I quite like sitting out the back in the rain when there is an afternoon thunderstorm after a hot day and watching the lightning overhead. I've even had it strike within metres of me before.
    Ordinarily I'm not too worried about thunderstorms. I find them pretty neato, and absolutely spectacular. Like I said, though, that national weather service is really good at scaring the crap out of you. Their exact words (repeated three or four times over the course of about 5 mins): "Lightning is one of natures biggest killers. Stay indoors. Remember: if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to get struck by lightning."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...lities_us.html

The numbers are a little old, but California had 8 deaths from lightning from 1990 to 2003, even Florida, the state with the highest number of deaths has less than 10 a year. So long as you don't stand under a tree ,and you don't stand up in the middle of an open field then you won't have a problem.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    In the event of a tornado, go to the smallest, center-most room of the home. A bathroom or closet is usually the best bet. Getting in a bathtub/closet and covering yourself with a mattress may sound silly but it works.

This is like second nature to me.

Some fond memories having my whole family crammed into one tub.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    This is like second nature to me.

Some fond memories having my whole family crammed into one tub.
    Memories....ah yes. Was in a minor earthquake in California once, and I got in the bathtub and the motel and took the mattress with me. No one got the joke except the native midwesterner
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish View Post
    We even had one hit downtown Salt Lake City about a decade back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2gTeXwdtPw

Ajax
    I'm well aware of it. but thanks for the video.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 01-22-2010 at 23:35.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

We got the tornado warning as far south as my town (Escondido). A waterspout was sighted at Lake Hodges, 2 miles southeast of my place. We live in a geological "bowl", so weather swirls around us all the time. Unnerved the missus for a couple minutes. Fortunately, we were at the Post Office at the time, built 15 years ago to exacting OSHA and Cal-OSHA earthquake-fire-flood standards.

I admit I worried about 2minutes about my mobile home. What is it about 'nado's and their attraction to affordable housing for senior citizens? All that metal in one place?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Blog Entries

I live about 3500 ft above sea level, in the Rockies and I can remember at least once in my life there being a tornado warning. Not that it ever touched down, but if has the potential to happen here I guess there only few places in the world it can't happen.