Thread: A Random Stranger Just Emailed Me About Free Money, and It Was LEGIT!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Arrow A Random Stranger Just Emailed Me About Free Money, and It Was LEGIT!

Just when I thought I had seen everything, a random woman emails me, claims she has seen my name listed at a website that tracks lost money/stocks/bonds and I should check it out.

Well, I fire up every protection of Firefox that I have, and cautiously check the URL. It's legit. She's not a bot. She really did find lost money.

The website linked me to the Iowa State website for lost money, and found no fewer than five deposits that are mine. All created when I was a baby, all lost over time. They've just been sitting there. Now I just print out an Iowa form (provided) and reclaim my family's lost property.

Okay, this really freaked me out. Every scam artist in the world claims they can get you free money, so it's kind of reality-shattering when that happens for real.

I need to lie down. Maybe those Nigerian Princes were onto something?

Anyway, here's the site. If your family has moved around a lot, or has complicated finances, you may find a little something listed. Amazing, really.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: A Random Stranger Just Emailed Me About Free Money, and It Was LEGIT!

Oh yeah? Download Kaspersky or BitDefender and then tell me after a full scan...

Speaking of missing money, I remember how my 10th grade AP history teacher had $20,000 of savings stolen from his bank account (quite a lot of savings for a young history teacher he was - or perhaps part of the money was credit...). Where did the money go? It was the time of the 2008 elections, and it turned out some hacker donated his money to Hillary Clinton - and the teacher hated her guts even before that!!

Smile Re: A Random Stranger Just Emailed Me About Free Money, and It Was LEGIT!

I don't trust American goverment websites. They'll probably get my address and invade my home claiming I possess nuclear arms or something.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: A Random Stranger Just Emailed Me About Free Money, and It Was LEGIT!

The mind boggles
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Random Stranger Just Emailed Me About Free Money, and It Was LEGIT!

And this is why we get first dibs in primaries.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Dude......

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I don't trust American goverment websites. They'll probably get my address and invade my home claiming I possess nuclear arms or something.
    As long as they don't want info on your proximity to tar sands you should be good.

I interned with a big oil company recently. Now every month it seems I get mail about my retirement savings through them, and yearly (well, once at least) I get a big packet of financial info. The worst was an invitation to the Christmas Party - which said I needed a valid ID to get into.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Lemur, I am so sorry for you, but I was right to be suspicious in the beginning. For one, respectable sites rarely spam you to use their functions. Some sites may spam you so you buy something, but very rarely to use one of their free features. And secondly, well, let's just get to the main message:

Now, look at this:
    https://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1879/warning2.jpg
    https://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8827/warning2.png (that Yahoo box is the one I use for registering for sites likely to spam me )

(Sorry, but the current .Org forum setup does not allow me to insert such large pictures in the posts)

AP, I don't mean to be dense, but the warnings you post are from consumercalculator.com, not the site I visited. Could you explain, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    AP, I don't mean to be dense, but the warnings you post are from consumercalculator.com, not the site I visited. Could you explain, please?
    Hmm, strange. I boomarked your site for further investigation, and when I clicked on the bookmarked today, that is where it took me - consumercalculator.org.

And what does 'being dense' mean?

Being dense = thick, slow, stupid, not-clever.

Being dense = thick, slow, stupid, not-clever.
    That's mean, man.

Blog Entries

If things weren't dense, solids wouldn't exist, we wouldn't exist! Besides, Lemur wasn't being dense

Seeing as I was applying "dense" to myself, and not to anyone else, I don't see how it was mean. Also, as AP made clear, it turns out he was looking at a different site. Not clear on how that happened, but there you go.

Also, as AP made clear, it turns out he was looking at a different site. Not clear on how that happened, but there you go.
    You're implying that AP is a creature of lesser intelligence.

Not if you read what I wrote, rather than what you imagine I wrote.

Not if you read what I wrote, rather than what you imagine I wrote.
    I like to imagine you're a very hot man, but I also see you're a very hot man (judging from your pics in the photo album thread).

I used to call first wife, 'my little neutron star', she didn't get it either!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I used to call first wife, 'my little neutron star', she didn't get it either!
    She didn're realize the gravity of such a remark.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

youre not telling me megas is a girl...

We do not sow.

AP, I don't mean to be dense
    Seems pretty clear Lemur was implying he was dense.

The site seems to be legit and basically functions as a search engine for various states unclaimed money databases. Still i won't be changing my opinion of those nigerian princes anytime soon.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    I cannot believe this.
    Gregoshi deserves a "Comedian of the Org award".

Congrats Lemur! Mind sharing the prize? ;)
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?