Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: EBNOM official discussion thread

Default EBNOM official discussion thread

Greetings fellow EB players!

The mod progressed a bit. We got help from some talented guys, even EB team members, and work has began on this mod. We are still a small team, and we will glady use any assistance that can be found. We need experts on all sides, and the only thing we require is that if someone does volounters to help, he is serious about it.

If you wold like to assist on the mod, PM me or gamegeek2. Even if all you can do is research, and have no modding knowledge, we will gladly hear with what you came up.

I will update this post frequently, everytime something important happens.

The date we decided on is 80 BC

Why?

Some of the main reasons :

-Rome is the major Mediterranean superpower, but the Empire is far from complete
    -Ongoing conflict between Rome, Pontus, and Armenia
    -Famous historical characters such as Pompey, Caesar, Sulla, Cicero, Crassus, Lucullus and more for Rome; excellent roleplaying opportunities
    -Mithradates VI for Pontus and Tigranes the Great for Armenia
    -Vercingetorix for the Arverni (though only 2 years old)
    -Nabatu are in their golden age; Hasmoneans are alive and kicking
    -Parthia is a major power
    -Axum is getting started (if included)
    -Indo-Saka, the Kingdom of Maues are getting started
    -Burebista is the King of the Dacians
    -Major war-zone in Spain with native tribes, Romans, and the Roman rebel Sertorius

--- CURRENT VOLUNTEERS ---

--- Project Leaders ---
    gamegeek2
    anubis88
    FinnMacCumhail

--- Scripters & Coders ---
    gamegeek2
    10thLegion
    Silver Legionary
    Hax

--- Modelers, Skinners & 2d artists ---
    Cute Wolf
    FinnMacCumhail
    Skullheadhq
    Silver Legionary
    LDC
    jirisys

--- Historians ---
    gamegeek2
    anubis88
    Gonras
    DeathFinger
    Fluvius Camillus
    constantius
    Lionheart
    Atraphoenix
    Vartan
    keravnos
    Tanit

--- Mappers ---
    Cute Wolf

The factions:

This is a list of the possible factions. We have decided on which will be used, but we won't tell you yet The ones in bold are definetly in.

SPQR
    Parthia
    Armenia
    Pontus
    Sweboz
    Lugiones
    Arverni
    Haedui
    Belgae
    Suessiones
    Boii
    Getae
    Mauretania
    Numidia
    State of Sertorius
    Nabatea
    Hasmoneans
    Hymarites
    Saba
    Iceni
    Catuvelani
    Cantabri
    Sarmatians
    Scythians
    Yuezhi
    Indo - Saka
    Indo - Greeks
    Astures
    Axum
    Meroe

Also it is fair to say, that we will probably use the BI.exe platform for the mod. We have some ideas how to use the religion mechanics and such...

Check out our first previews in the following pages! We previewed the Sertoriani, Ptolemaic Egypt, Numidia, Pontus, the Hasmoneans and the Nabatu!
    Last edited by anubis88; 01-22-2011 at 09:50.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Default Re: EB late campaign mod

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WIP - My humlbe suggestion - mod in Augustus's time

Start date 27 BC - 16. January, Octavian get's the title Imperator Caesar divi filius Augustus

Why? Rome finaly got a picture of itself, and all the civil wars ended. There would not be a civil war for 200 years ( of course except the year of 4 emperors), so the picture is pretty clear cut.
    At this point Rome was near it's maximum expanison. It had 28 standing legions, and a decent economy, however Rome didn't have the strenght to conquer Germania. If anyone thinks Rome was too powerful at this time, think again. When Teutoburg forest happened, Rome didn't have the strength to raise new legions, and instead retreated to the Rhine.

It would give the player a similar chalenge that in EB the Arche Seleucia; but on an even larger front, with armies ranging from the tribesmen of the northen forests, especially the powerfull germanics alliances, the nomads of the north - east, the mighty Parthians in the East, with a Jewish state still alive and kicking. Also, the Nabatean Kingdom would come to life, and perhaps the Ethiopian armies of Meroe preparing to invade Egypt, while Mauretiania would wait in west africa to start a new African Empire. Also, there is still life in the last Iberian tribes, who held more then 150 years the Romans at bay, and are willing to do so for as long as it takes. The Dacians have shown as well they can be a mighty foe under a strong king, like Burebista a has shown a while ago.
    A year ago the Romans started an expedition to Arabia Felix, but got defeated by the Saba with ease, who would remain in control of that side of the Red See. Surely Rome would try to conquer it again.
    The Romans may also fantisize to attack the mystical Island of Britain, to which Gaius Julius Caesar went 25 years ago.

Starting possition for Rome and other factions on the EB map;
    THE MAP
    Remember, this is WIP, i will add new factions when i can...
    Note - Dark red - dunno if it's already under Rome control or not, will research it, for others, it's just a representation where the factions would start:
    (WIP of course)
    There are 20 factions IIRC for being in. This are the faction's i would say would definetly be in such a mod, and i've kinda added them where they should be on the map. This factions are :

Roman Empire Difficulty: Medium
    Augustus has just gotten the his title; the empire is ready for new challenges, but one wrong step, and the turmoils may begin again, the though of a republic is still very much alive with the senators, so you must make wise decision with your goverment and foreign policy. Be careful about how you treat the provinces. The massive expansion of the late empire has brought many new lands to Roma, but most of them are not happy with the situation.
    The Romans would have a very versatile army, drawing auxilias from many provinces, perhaps a bit weak on cavalry, but the best regular infantry in the game.

Parthian Empire Difficulty: Medium
    After a lot of civil strife, the Parthians again stabilized their situation somewhat. Phraates IV will definetly try to expand the borders of his country, and try to imitate his great predecessors. It will be key to try and centralize your power, and once Parthia is strong inside, the outside can only fear them and watch their horsemen taking over land after land.
    The Parthians would have the best cavalry in the game, all the units which took a long time in EB I to unlock, would be there from the start. May your cataphracts bring death to the Romans and all other lesser people!

Kingdom of Armenia Difficulty: Very Hard
    Perhaps not as strong as 40 years ago, Armenia still remains an independent power between the two superstates. This is in fact in interest of both, since a border so long would inevitably lead to full-scale war. The kings of Armenia are influenced by foreign powers, like they used to be in the old days, but even then Tigranes II became King of Kings, and many people bowed to him. Why shouldn't this happen again? There are many small kingdoms around Armenia, which also dwell betwenn Rome and Parthia, and conquering them should be difficult for a great king. But carefull diplomacy is needed, ally with one power and attack the other; fight both on your own peril.
    The Armenians would have a wide range of units, most simmilar as in EB, able to fight on every ocasion, however much depends on the general leading his men

Dacians Difficulty: Hard
    Not long ago, the Dacians and the Getae made their first alliance, and were a major power under the king Burebista. Many tribes fell under his power, including the once powerfull Boii. They have proven, like Decebalus will 100 years from now, that a strong king under this great warriors, can accomplish much, and conquer many lands.
    The units will be most the same as in EB, a great mix of ambushers, falxmen and elite warriors!

Marcomanni Difficutly: Hard
    An obscure germanic tribe, that would be a major power for the next 300 years; the Romans were always careful with dealing with this people, the king Marobodus being greatly feared by Augustus. When the Romans finally waged full-scaled war with them, it almost costed them dearly. Marcus Aurelius defeated them after a full-scaled war, and yet the Marcomani persisted.
    The Marcomani were not unlike other germanic tribes, relying mostly on infantry, but they had a strong cavalry arm as well. The fact that they fared so well against Rome, shows us that a strong king could perhaps even bring the Empire to it's knees!

Cantabri and Astures Difficulty: Nigh impossible
    One of the last Iberian tribes, now joined together to fight of Rome. Only one thing need to be said for you to know of their power. It took Rome 8! legions, + auxiliaries to defeat them, the number of men surpassing 80.000! That's more then it took to bring down Macedonia and the Seleucid Empire combined! The war was so important, that it was lead on the Roman side by Agrippa and Augustus himself! The Romans feared the Cantabri, knowing they preformed well with Hannibal, and knowing they had the strenght to break the siege of Numantia 100 years ago. They prefered to fight a guerilla war, like most Iberians tribes, and the knowledge of their homelands gave they great advantage. They could also raise large armies if needed, based on the population estimate perhaps even 100.000 men! They were old proud tribes and a success against Rome on their part, could raise the defeated people of Iberia once more in a rebellion, and crush the Roman hold on the peninsula.
    Their army would differ much from that of the Lusotana in EB, + they would have awesome regionals at their disposal, like the Asturian axemen, and Cantabrian cavalry.

Kingdom of Thrace
    Judean Kingdom - under Herod the Great
    Sarmatians
    Kingdom of Nabatea
    Kingdom of Saba
    Cappadocia
    Skordisci
    Cherusci
    Indo-Saka
    Yuezhi

Important figures/Faction Leaders :
    Rome:
    Augustus Caesar - no introduction needed, 35 years old
    Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa - Octavians most trusted friend, great general of Rome, 36 at the time
    Tiberius - future emperor, one of the greatest imperial generals, would be 15 at the time
    Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus - brother of Tiberius, another great general, 11 years old at the time
    Publius Quinctilius Varus - only one reason for his inclusion :)

Parthia:
    Phraates IV - King of Parthia
    Phraates V - Prince of Parthia

Marcomanni:
    Maroboduus - a child at the time, but the succesor to the throne. It is said that he could field an army over 70.000 men during the reing of Augustus, for which he was feared.

Kingdom of Judea:
    Herod the Great - King of Judea - around 35 years old, friend of Rome
    rest to follow...

Cappadocia:
    Archelaus IV - King of Cappadocia ruled for more then 50 years, appointed by Antony, but stood with Octavian in the later part of the civil war

Mauretania:
    Juba II - became king in 25 BC, Son of Juba I, who supported Pompey as the King of Numidia against Ceasar. Decisivly defaeted at Thapsus. He and the Romans lead many campaings against the tribes in Afrcia, forging a very powerfull state, closely allied to Rome.
    Other possible factions:

Kingdom of Kartli? Not much of a power, but independant and with great potential. The king Pharasmanes II was a cause for concern for Rome, even at the height of it's power. Even before that the Kings were pretty strong, managing even at capturing Artaxarta in in the year 35 AD

Germanic tribes - , Suebi, ,Quadi... (don't remember more of them atm)

Britanic tribes -, Icenii.... (don't remember more atm) :D

Iberians - , Astures

on the balkans - Jaziges, Delmats,

Africa - Meroe?

Asia - Osroene, Adabiene...

Others- Rhaetians, Pannonians, Kingdom of Noricum

For some factions - Roman Empire, Parthia, Armenia, Dacia, Sarmatia, Catuvellani, Astures and Cantabri, Mauretania, Capadoccia, Thrace, Indo-Saka... We could use many units if not all from EB; the other faction also have their most important units made in EB, so it would be just a case of filling out their roster

Suggestion by Fluvius Camillus
    Start Date: 171BC

101 years after the EB start.
    The map: Very WIP; some mistakes have been spoted, i'll wait for Fluvius to update the map and give the new one

Important men:
    Perseus I of Macedonia (41 years old)
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes (44 years old)
    Ptolemaios VI Philometor (no regency yet, 15 years young, darn it).
    Mithridates I of Parthia (approx 24 years old)
    Marcus Porcius Cato Maior (63 years old)

Important upcoming historical events:
    3rd Macedonian war
    6th Syrian war
    Parthia vs Baktria and a lot more expansion by Parthia

Suggested factions:
    SenatusPopulesqueRomanus
    Qarthadastim
    Arche Seleukeia (under Antiochos IV Epiphanes)
    Ptolemaioi (under Ptolemaios VI Philometor)
    Antigonid Makedonia (under Perseus I of Macedon)
    Arsacid Empire (under Mithridates I of Parthia)
    Pontos (under Pharnaces I)
    Pergamene Kingdom (under Eumenes II)
    Baktria (under Eucratides I)

Roman Rebels (some time later, the first Slave revolt comes).

Here we can use a lot of units from EB I.

This 2 ideas were dropped ... look at the post above
    Last edited by anubis88; 08-03-2010 at 19:18.

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

What about the culture slots? IIRC both the "eastern greek" and "western greek" culture is not used by any factions during this era (except for the Bosporan Kingdom and/or other client kingdoms ).

Maybe this can be used for something.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 04-10-2010 at 15:21.

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

Yeah, come to think about it, August had a few wars with Meroe(which could use a new slot), so it would be nice as well. Any suggestion are welcomed

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Yeah, come to think about it, August had a few wars with Meroe(which could use a new slot), so it would be nice as well. Any suggestion are welcomed
    Hmm if they are to be included as a faction then new portraits have to made as well.

Oh and the Judean Kingdom as well as the roman rebels are of the "emerging" faction and "rebel" faction type,I presume, if so than doesn't this mean that this mod would be BI- only? As the RTW exe doesn't have the "emerging" faction nor "rebel" factions.

note: I will probably not be able to help much with this mod, since my knowledge on both this period in history as well as modding is rather limited I'm afraid.

Oh and a lot of units can be reused from EB IIRC, limiting the work that has to be done somewhat.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 04-10-2010 at 15:58.

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Well, let's put that timeframe a bit earlier... at the middle roman republic, and diadochi are still strong.... as well as Germanic tribes allready ravages the north, and Nomadic incursions has grown harsher!!!!

Should we made.... *cough* year jump mod for EB
    *. and prepared to random... "late game" situation...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I thought this might be useful, even though it doesn't start at the beginning of the principate, but rather in the post marian era.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 04-10-2010 at 16:11.

Sang Hulu Jurit Balamati Member plutoboyz's Avatar
    Near a dammed warlike tribe called "Indonesian"

how about making EB for BI? BI time was pretty cool.

Well at this point, it's all at the initial stages. Taking baby steps.

The problem IMHO is that in the post Marian era there are a lot of civil wars, and this would be difficult to implement in the TW engine. When the country was devided between Antony and Octavian, there was one battle that decided the whole thing, likewise at the begining, when the 2 fought the murderes of Caesar at Philippi. This is impossible to implement in the RTW engine IMHO, at least not without huge modding.

Yeah, i thought about using most of the EB skins, for the factions that still existed, + adding new ones. I guess some rosters- like Dacians, Sarmatians, Parthians, etc... could practicaly remain the same; we would just need to add a lot of Barbarian factions;
    The Marcomanni were very strong at this point for one, likewise the Germanic alliance that appeared later under Ariminius. That's why i would like the mod to start sometimes during Avgustus's reign.

At this point IMHO it's easier to make sucha mod during history than the republican, for the reasons i stated above. It would indeed be unique of all mods. We could have legion camps, that were stabilized during augustus reign, also we have a lot of info about the economy, setting it for the future.
    Last edited by anubis88; 04-10-2010 at 16:29.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I don't think this will get from the ground. The ATB and Nusantara mods are already in progress and I think any skinner/modeller should join EB II instead.

Although coming up with concepts for a late period mod is fun.

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-10-2010 at 16:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Well think of it this way. Research for this mod couldn't hurt anyone, and if at some time few new skiners are found; that would be the only thing left to do. Even if nothing of this happens, i really think it could became a fine thread. There are definetly some people around here who are more familiar about this era then the start of EB.

Also, if there are people (which there certanly are) that don't quite measure up to the EBII team's standards they could work here in their spare time, training for proving themselves to the team

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Excuse me for my ignorance but... what's a late campaign (i think it's a campaign that stands after the imperial one, but i'm not sure)

~Jirisys (my name is Forrest)
    Because we all need to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Excuse me for my ignorance but... what's a late campaign (i think it's a campaign that stands after the imperial one, but i'm not sure)

~Jirisys (my name is Forrest)
    Late campaign = Campaign that starts later than the official one.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 04-10-2010 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur, king of the Britons View Post
    Late campaign = Campaign that starts later than the official one.
    but timeframe or gameplay (after you finish the imperial you start the late) later?

~Jirisys (2763 a.u.C.)

I thought you guys wanted to change the date, enable all the reforms, and play around with factions' starting positions.

But doing an overhaul with completely new factions? You guys are insane.

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

Honestly, I'd be so crazy about the idea to make a mod concentrated on the Early Minoan period... the arrival of the Dorians in greece... Bronze Age : Total War
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

Quote Originally Posted by Duguntz View Post
    Honestly, I'd be so crazy about the idea to make a mod concentrated on the Early Minoan period... the arrival of the Dorians in greece... Bronze Age : Total War
    And then Stone Age: Total war

We already have the iron age

~Jirisys (WOLOLO!!!)

My suggestions (suggestion A and B):

Suggestion A

Start Date: 171BC

101 years after the EB start.

Important men:
    Perseus I of Macedonia (41 years old)
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes (44 years old)
    Ptolemaios VI Philometor (no regency yet, 15 years young, darn it).
    Mithridates I of Parthia (approx 24 years old)
    Marcus Porcius Cato Maior (63 years old)

Important upcoming historical events:
    3rd Macedonian war
    6th Syrian war
    Parthia vs Baktria and a lot more expansion by Parthia

Suggested factions:
    SenatusPopulesqueRomanus
    Qarthadastim
    Arche Seleukeia (under Antiochos IV Epiphanes)
    Ptolemaioi (under Ptolemaios VI Philometor)
    Antigonid Makedonia (under Perseus I of Macedon)
    Arsacid Empire (under Mithridates I of Parthia)
    Pontos (under Pharnaces I)
    Pergamene Kingdom (under Eumenes II)
    Baktria (under Eucratides I)

Roman Rebels (some time later, the first Slave revolt comes).

Here we can use a lot of units from EB I.

I will try to include the Celtic, Iberian, German, Getic/Thracian and Nomads later, I know far less of them than the factions listed above,

I will make suggestion B later.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I thought you guys wanted to change the date, enable all the reforms, and play around with factions' starting positions.

But doing an overhaul with completely new factions? You guys are insane.
    Call me a pessimist but I think this will stay in the idea phase.

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-10-2010 at 17:29.
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Mulceber!

Interesting post, but we would definetly have to try and find a way for the civil wars to be as realistic as possible;

I added to the main post your suggestion; I believe we could add Numidia as well. They already have a lot of EB I units, + we saw some great EB II units which could be implemented

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus
    Call me a pessimist but I think this will stay in the idea phase.
    Yeah, same thoughts.

171 BC eh? How about the Yuezhi? How about the Indo-Greeks? How about Media Atropatene? There were immensely interesting things happening in the East at that time!

I'm really busy with EB II, DotS and school at the moment, so I won't have any time to help at all until July, but if this project is still alive by then, I'll try and find something to do. Gotcha.

- Hax
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    171 BC eh? How about the Yuezhi? How about the Indo-Greeks? How about Media Atropatene? There were immensely interesting things happening in the East at that time!

I'm really busy with EB II, DotS and school at the moment, so I won't have any time to help at all until July, but if this project is still alive by then, I'll try and find something to do. Gotcha.

- Hax
    Lol I know, it was just a starting idea, I did this out of the top of my head and since the Hellenistic, Romani and Eastern factions are my prime interests I could do those out of the top of my head (I got the ages of the persons from wiki though), I'll check some more and keep you posted, along with my suggestion B.

Help appreaciated, you are quite skilled in the middle eastern area because of ATB, so we can use you.

But wait? Who is we? Is this actually going to happen and am I in the team?

Edit, my use for this project (if it happens):

18 years old, studies business in Leeuwarden, the Netherlands. Likes history, especially Romans, Hellenes and Eastern (pre Islam) states.

EB bibliography books I have currently read:
    Soldiers and Ghosts - J.E. Lendon
    The Hellenistic Age - Peter Green
    Thundering Zeus - Frank Holt
    Mithridates the Great - Philip Matyszak
    A history of the Ptolemaic Empire - Günther Hölbl (currently halfway reading).

I then have another 25 books of the EB bibliography in my bookshelf which I can always access for info.
    Near my school in Leeuwarden is also a historical library, with plenty of history books. Not member yet but I am planning to.

Basic modding skills (changing .txt files, changing faction symbols, faction colours).
    I have adobe photoshop 6.0

And lastly, I think people can enjoy these:

Extremely useful maps (IMHO):

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html

And for the ones that know Dutch:
    Mijn profielwerkstuk geeft een goede tijdlijn van Rome weer, kan handig zijn.

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-10-2010 at 22:03.

1x From Mulceber!

62 BC the Gauls invite Ariovistus in to help one side in their civil war, which later makes Caesar pop by for a visit and the Res Publica Romana fall...

The Suebi would be strong at this point, but here or pretty soon after, though perhaps more under the pressure from Rome, the Cherusci and their allies become a power. Likely this was more a question of unification as a result of war. An early example of the simplified "States make war- war makes states" phenomenon. The Boii and Dacians/Getai would still be around, though the Boii in gradual decline and eventually gets taken over by the Markomanni.

Or you could choose slightly before with Rome in civil war and Mithridates still alive and kicking.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    62 BC the Gauls invite Ariovistus in to help one side in their civil war, which later makes Caesar pop by for a visit and the Res Publica Romana fall...

The Suebi would be strong at this point, but here or pretty soon after, though perhaps more under the pressure from Rome, the Cherusci and their allies become a power. Likely this was more a question of unification as a result of war. An early example of the simplified "States make war- war makes states" phenomenon. The Boii and Dacians/Getai would still be around, though the Boii in gradual decline and eventually gets taken over by the Markomanni.

Or you could choose slightly before with Rome in civil war and Mithridates still alive and kicking.
    That was gonna be my second suggestion, it could also be with the Spartacus emerging faction. But then we would have 2 Hellenistic states so weak beyond recovery, presenting no challenge at all. Well I'll get on it later today.

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

Hm... It's nice to see ideas flowing in...

As i said, i have no idea how we could represent the Roman Civil wars during this time, not to mention Spartacus's uprising or the social war; not to mention we would have to have 3 GIANT civil wars; Sulla - Marius, Ceasar - Pompey, Octavian - Antony.

I know the principate might not seem that interesting at first view, but believe me, the age is really fascinating; + it would give a unique experience to any one of us

@Macilrille
    It seems that you have a lot of knowledge about Germania; do you agree that such a mod should include: the Cherusci, Suebi, Marcomanni, and Quadi? or do you have any other suggestions?

@Fluvius - Even at the start of the Principate, we could have a lot of Easter factions, even though some of the would be close allies of Rome or Parthia... Perhaps Armenia could rise again? Or Capadocia coming finaly out of the Shadows of Pontos? Even the Cimmerian Bosphorus was a regional power, albeit closely allied to Rome.

@Hax - your input would be always appreciated; perhaps we could in the future even exchange troops that you guys would make for ATB?
    Last edited by anubis88; 04-11-2010 at 12:31.

Depends what time it is. But up until about the Marcomannic wars or thereabouts the Marcomanni were part of the Suebi. The arminus vs Marbod struggle can be understood as the Cherusci and the Suebi fighting for preeminence amongst the German tribes (with some Suebi tribes choosing instead the call of Arminus while some Cherusci subtribes follow the Suebi), while the Quadi only became relevant fairly late. There are also the Goths and Cimbrii, which were powerful parts/tribes of the Suebi confederation. But it definately depends on when and in how much detail you wish to go.

Edited to add; there were enough warring tribes in Germania to fill out all faction slots should one wish to go in detail with them.
    Last edited by Macilrille; 04-11-2010 at 12:55.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

I would LOVE to play as AS in the 171 BC idea - I mean, Antiochus IV was one of the last (save A. VII Sidetes) able Seleucid kings and this is right at the moment when the AS really begin their decline. Trying to avoid this would be a cool game ;D
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

One of my bigger problems/issues with EB is that if you play any faction in the eastern half, your game is almost guaranteed to be mostly about "how I dealt with the huge Seleucid Empire, their vast armies and territories". This was fun once or twice, but it has come to be a bit of a grind. Or if you actually play the AS, you get a game where corruption/morale penalties are a bigger challenge than your enemies. Ignoring history and considering EB purely as a game for a moment, it would be better without them (which may explain a thing or two about vanilla).

So I've wondered if a later start date, i.e. after they've declined a bit, would ameliorate that. But it seems to me that if you wait long enough for Seleucia to decline you just get the same problem with Rome in the west instead of Seleucia in the east. So you have to wait a really long time, until there are Eastern and Western Roman Empires, to get a map that's notably better for actual play.

Fight like a meatgrinder

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Depends what time it is. But up until about the Marcomannic wars or thereabouts the Marcomanni were part of the Suebi. The arminus vs Marbod struggle can be understood as the Cherusci and the Suebi fighting for preeminence amongst the German tribes (with some Suebi tribes choosing instead the call of Arminus while some Cherusci subtribes follow the Suebi), while the Quadi only became relevant fairly late. There are also the Goths and Cimbrii, which were powerful parts/tribes of the Suebi confederation. But it definately depends on when and in how much detail you wish to go.

Edited to add; there were enough warring tribes in Germania to fill out all faction slots should one wish to go in detail with them.
    So you would say that Marobodus was part of the Suebi? Interesting; i always read of him being the Great Marcommanic King. Well the historical picture of Germania was extremly interesting IMO, And the struggle of those tribes against Rome and each other would be great.
    The German tribes gave a real beating to Rome many times durign the Principate, and it would be great to play with them.

I would guess you could indeed help a lot if this mod was to start...

Sorry double post...
    Also the start of at the start of the Principate we could have the exact possition of the Roman Legions on the map, since we know most of their camps at the time

EDIT: I will try to make a WIP map for 27 BC, just to see how the world would look like on an EB map;

If you have any time, try doing this for other periods

Here's the first impression of the territories of Rome and others in 27 Bc; of course, it's just a glimpse
    Note:
    Darker Red - Areas for which i'm not sure were under direct control from Rome

https://img707.imageshack.us/i/romans2.gif/
    Last edited by anubis88; 04-11-2010 at 15:51.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast