Thread: Europa Barbarorum 2: Eastwards

Default Europa Barbarorum 2: Eastwards

Hello all and welcome to the thread where we can discuss the possibility of a far east sub-mod to Europa Barbarorum 2, representing the lands from Baktria to the Pacific Ocean. As the mod itself is not out yet there is only so much we can discuss, such as potential provinces, factions, units, cultures, etc.. I am privy to certain new EB2 information, but logically I cannot divulge such information until permitted or until the mod itself is released. My purpose in this endeavor is to act as a motivator to encourage development and I will occasionally offer historical information when I am on very short breaks from the long list of things I need to do for EB2.

To Begin. For a mod name my current proposal, and this is all completely open to criticism and change, is Europa Barbarorum 2: Anatolas, which is a Greek word for Eastwards. As we still have Greeks on the map I feel this provides a connection with EB2 proper. I also propose we keep the same start date as EB1, 272 BC, as it simplifies things a great deal and is also a decent date for Eastern studies.

Some other attempts: I suggest checking out http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27200 https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...in-China/page8on the early warring states period (480 BC), and this mod, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=264 set in three kingdoms period 190 AD. Both are a little off our time period, but its a good start. Another mod of similar focus is https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...scusion-thread Asia ton Barbaron, from Greece to the far side of India in the 260s BC. The last important place to look for information and potential helpers is the Chinese History Forums, http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showforum=30, which are fairly active and almost all in English luckily enough.

Factions: (Just proposed)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sinitic: Qin, Zhao, Chu, Yan, Qi, Wei(Liang), Han, Lu

Yue: Minyue, Zangke, Dian, Van Lang, Au Viet

North Asian: Joseon, Jin, Wa

Nomad: Xiong Nu, Tung-hu, Yuezhi, Asman, Saka Rauka, Mazakata

East Hellenic: Baktria

Indian: Maurya, Pandya, Cholas, Chera, Kalinga, Anuradhapura, Gandhara

Cut Factions and Why:
    Arche Seleukeia: Not enough on the map

Pahlava: Not enough on the map, and their interests are too western for accurate representation

Khotan: Not founded, even mythically, for a few decades yet

Satavahana: Not founded until 230 BC by revolters following the death of Ashoka

Dwipantara: Javan Kingdom, not enough info, not clearly in the time frame, requires the map to go too far south to be worth it

Zapotec, Pre-Classic Maya, Chavin: Having a small chunk of central and south America in the map would have looked ridiculous, felt ridiculous, removed useful faction and province slots

Zhangzhung: Cultural Tibetan group. Not organized enough to qualify as faction until much much later.

Map: (A little distorted)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Provinces:

Units:

What this mod needs:
    Historians (India, Steppe, China, Vietnam, Japan, Korea, Baktria)
    modelers (eventually)
    Skinners (eventually)
    Mapper (eventually)
    Coders/Scripters/Traiters (eventually)
    Chinese Language consultant

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum 2: Eastwards

You haven't finished AtB yet. I forbid you from working on any other mod before AtB is finished.

Yeah, I want ATB! ;D

This is a great idea, and it has great potential to be a great mod. However, what with Asia Ton Barbarorum and Europa Barbarorum II itself, I think that another submod would be too much.

It might actually be better to wait for Europa Barbarorum II to be finished before beginning this submod. I know that's probably going to be a long time, but by the time they're finished of it, there'll be a lot more people willing to work on a submod if you wait too.

It's not my decision though, it's up to you.

EDIT: It would probably be a good idea to start doing the research, design and such right now, only delaying the actual game implementation till after the the final release of EB2.
    Last edited by Iain.; 06-23-2010 at 00:33.

Nice!!!

Actually, why not merge this into EB2?

Is the MTW2 engine still hardcoded by the number of provinces or factions?

If not, why not add this into the main EB2 game? Otherwise, maybe even axe a bunch of EBII factions to make room for these guys... :D
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

hardcoding still exists, much to our dissatisfaction. And I am not the mod head, runner or anything of the sort. I'm the guy proposing the mod and hoping to motivate others to at the very least begin research, as Iain said, actual modding should wait until after EB2.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

I'm in, no matter what.

Too far east for my tastes, though, but I love the steppe areas.

However, yeah, AtB must be done first. And Tanit IS an AtB member...
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Yup. And proud of it!

It is best to finish one job at a time...
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    I'm in, no matter what.
    Too far east for my tastes, though, but I love the steppe areas.
    However, yeah, AtB must be done first. And Tanit IS an AtB member...
    Too far east? Anyone who isn't Hellenic is a barbaro to you damn Greeks!!!
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    Too far east? Anyone who isn't Hellenic is a barbaro to you damn Greeks!!!
    Well, we're both Marylanders actually, so shouldn't we both be offended?

My main concern actually was not being able to get Pahlava in properly.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

"To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Well, it was only a proposed map. But really Pahalava's interest was more west of the Aral sea (the map edge) than east. They did control the majority of the overlap area between the EB map and the proposed East map, but they focused more effort on Persia, Mesopotamia and Armenia as well as the Levant which are all off the proposed map. But if someone could figure out a better 'edge' to the map, I thought this was best, then I'd be happy to hear it.

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit View Post

Factions: (Just proposed)
    Sinitic: Qin, Zhao, Chu, Yan, Qi, Wei(Liang), Han, Lu

Yue: Minyue, Zangke, Dian, Van Lang, Au Viet

North Asian: Joseon, Jin, Wa

Nomad: Xiong Nu, Tung-hu, Yuezhi, Asman, Saka Rauka, Mazakata

East Hellenic: Baktria

Indian: Maurya, Pandya, Cholas, Chera, Kalinga, Anuradhapura, Gandhara

Cut Factions and Why:
    Arche Seleukeia: Not enough on the map

Pahlava: Not enough on the map, and their interests are too western for accurate representation

Khotan: Not founded, even mythically, for a few decades yet

Satavahana: Not founded until 230 BC by revolters following the death of Ashoka

Dwipantara: Javan Kingdom, not enough info, not clearly in the time frame, requires the map to go too far south to be worth it

Zapotec, Pre-Classic Maya, Chavin: Having a small chunk of central and south America in the map would have looked ridiculous, felt ridiculous, removed useful faction and province slots

Zhangzhung: Cultural Tibetan group. Not organized enough to qualify as faction until much much later.

Map: (A little distorted)

Go SAKA!!!

Anyway, this looks great, kinda like AtB, but, different

~Jirisys (Saka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Because we all need to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    Well, we're both Marylanders actually, so shouldn't we both be offended? My main concern actually was not being able to get Pahlava in properly.
    DC is the chief barbaro village of the greatest tribe on earth? Maryland is only its tier 1 factional homeland...
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    DC is the chief barbaro village of the greatest tribe on earth? Maryland is only its tier 1 factional homeland...
    USA and Canada are homeland regions. The whole world is its expansion. :D
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 06-25-2010 at 08:42.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

well, I suggest to pwn Baktria, and made that totally focus on the East
    - well some sort of Ancient Asia : Total War will be funny to have though, but I have another mod to tend ..... Perhaps you should brought Satalexton to work here? so he can stop cursing the Romans?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

The main reason to keep Baktria is because of the transfer of eastern Greek power into northern India later to create the Indo-Greek dynasty. India cannot be properly represented without Baktria. Parthia and Seleukeia also were influential in this region of the world, but not to the same degree as Baktria would be. Also, whereas having Parthia or Seleukeia would require dealing with how they interacted with the west, Baktria interacted very little with the west outside of some battles with Seleukeia and Parthia which can be represented by Eleutheroi.