Thread: Defending cities and the empire

Default Defending cities and the empire

I've not taken any game too far (at most about 8 years) but I quickly get to the point where things are quiet, I keep very low garrisons, say one unit (Hoplitai Haploi as Koinon Hellenon). With the low chance of naval invasions, even playing on the Alex executable (although I do remember Ptolemaioi showing up with a fleet around 8 years in), I only have to worry about Eleutheroi armies, which tend to be slow to attack.

But I worry I'm not putting enough into defense. Looking at the AAR's, I see player empires thick with armies, like the AI empires, even where there isn't an ongoing war, allow them to react against invasion as opposed to losing cities.

So what should I do to defend my cities and the empire?

Default Re: Defending cities and the empire

have developed infrastructure and intelligence networks to allow yourself time to anticipate any invader. Spies and watchtowers on all enemy borders, gives yourself a few turns to levy a defensive force.

its a huge waste of money to have a standing army, imo, but it is smart to have at least a one/third stack ready of professionals and a FM on call which can be supplemented by levies when the need arises.

If your empire is big enough, then you may need multiple 'response centers' unless your infrastructure is amazing like Rome's, whose highways allow for movement across the entire peninsula in one turn, able to respond to anything basically

As someone said elsewhere on the board: It's only in EB where the royal army conquers the world and the rest of the empire is heroically saved by slingers and family members...

Stone walls in every town and slinger garrisons manages most things. In my arverni game, Ankyra rebelled to me in the early 260s and I have repelled fullstack after fullstack with my silver chevroned slinger garrison. Meanwhile, the swordsmen and spearmen roams the countryside and raids the nearby towns every now and then.
    Last edited by Tyrfingr; 03-15-2011 at 12:43.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

as long you have walls in all settlements plus some slinger(+haploi) garrisoned forts at some "goatpaths" a medium sized taskforce in central position is very usefull. for the KH it may be usefull to use a hired general (who lives in a fort or an allied free poleis) jet not necessary as it is a relatively costy alternative.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

The best way to protect your empire is block the borders with forts and watch the big plains using watch towers.
    Don't wait the enemy siege your cities to protect then. Fight out of them, take a good denfense position and stay there waiting the enemy attack. Bridges and gorges are the best places to rise a defensive point!

You need to take a look in your territory and think : "What kind of defense is better to use here?"

I'm playing EB with Romanii and my empire extending of North Spain to Turkey, North Africa to Makedonia.

I have 2 ways of thinking:

1º - Deep defense:
    Borders are not defended. The enemy can enter in your lands and take a walk there many miles with out to be intercepted by my army. Look the picture:

You can see my borders with the Dacians, they are my allies, so, I adopt the deep defense strategy.

2º - eggshell defense:
    You need to protect the borders because if the enemy get in your territory it could be terrible! so, Keep some defensive points and confronto de enemy there!
    Now, look those photo:

In Spain, I'm constantly under attack by Lusotanos and Cartagians troops, so, as I can't to extend my empire, I decite to keep my actual position for a While. I adopted the eggshell defensive strategy and put many forts with few troops there. The enemy need stay in siege until to build a siege weapon. In time, you can intercept them before they enter in your lands!

I hope to be useful!

As already mentioned, expendable border guards in forts are essential to buy time to react. Watchtowers on the borders, and spies in neighbouring provinces. Early warning is key.

For nearly all factions, instead of having a large standing garrison, I rely on having family members available in likely invasion areas, plus at least 50,000 mnai saved in the bank. Then, when invaded, I can send out my family member and have him hire a full stack of mercenaries to counter any invasion. Mercenaries are expensive to hire but provided no-one else is drawing on the local pool, they are always available to hire when you want them, you can recruit a full stack in one turn (if there's enough units in the pool) and they don't cost you any upkeep BEFORE you hire them, only afterwards. This is easier and cheaper than maintaining large standing armies. The final advantage of hiring mercenaries is that they don't deplete your towns of population, unlike ordinary recruiting.

It was the Cartagian way. I sugest you to have some home troops at less in your home land to send it wherever you need.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

I tend to employ Emperor Constantine's model of defence of having a mobile field army in reserve than can quickly march to the front and repel invaders. Like fomalhaut and Scato said watchtowers and spies are very important and as Jaertecken rightly advised slingers are excellent garrisons. I wouldn't put especially large garrisons in cities unless the city in question is located at a geographical pinch point (Byzantion, Massalia, Emporion, Antioch etc) lest an invading army bypass you and you cant catch them. Defence in depth with good intelligence is my advice.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

The garrison's strength is based on its numbers of units or the number of men in the units ?

I thought the latter, the more men the merrier the people.

For exemple, is it better to have 3x40 slingers or 2x61 spearmen ?

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

nothing beats full garrison make up of Haploi, sphendonetai, and hippakontistai. Useful in Greek fronts

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by NuBee4ever View Post
    The garrison's strength is based on its numbers of units or the number of men in the units ?

I thought the latter, the more men the merrier the people.

For exemple, is it better to have 3x40 slingers or 2x61 spearmen ?
    Numbers of men. Not numbers of units.

Should you choose 3 x 40 slingers or 2 x 61 spearmen? Answer: Whichever combination costs the lowest in upkeep. Generally, that's the slingers.

Thanx Scato, my spreadsheet with cost/men ratio will not go unused !