Thread: End turn = sudden defeat - why?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default End turn = sudden defeat - why?

at the end of turn 144 i get a popup saying; "defeat - you ancestors feed the earth" along with a big load of statistics on past battles.

my daimyo is still sat in his castle.
    there have been no messages saying someone else is claiming/claimed the shogunate.
    i'm doing really rather well holding the two small islands.

i can continue, but why would i when i cannot win.

and WHY can i not win?
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: End turn = sudden defeat - why?

Perhaps a static cutoff date for victory conditions? What year were you at when you got the message?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

That's 36 years in. FYI
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

What was the age of your daimyo and did he have any heirs? Just a thought.
    This space intentionally left blank

was it a short campaign?
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

he might have been old, not sure, but he was very much still alive.

afaik it was a long campaign, i never play short campaigns.

very odd, if defeat happens there ought to be a pop-up stating why, feels like a bug in the victory/defeat conditions.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

any further info on this.............?

i have only played one campaign so far, so what information does one usually receive along with a defeat notification?

i.e. your family is dead, or someone else claimed the shogunate, or you ran out of time......... there must be something, it cannot just read "defeat"!

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Sounds weird to me. Have you tried reloading an older save?

Edit, sorry that is the equivalent of saying: "have you tried turning it on and off again?" and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but playing through the last few turns might mean you can avoid whatever bug -if it is one.
    Last edited by al Roumi; 03-21-2011 at 15:43.

i have tried reloading the autosave from the turns end, and got the same result even when the battle that i auto-resolved (and lost the first time) before the defeat popup arrived, was avoided the second time around.

you are right, i'll have a look and see if there is a reasonably close save point.

still curious to see what other people get when they are defeated, for whatever reason, because i got no info on why.

Can't help you yet Furunculus - I'm still hanging on in my first campaign.
    This space intentionally left blank

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    still curious to see what other people get when they are defeated, for whatever reason, because i got no info on why.
    The impression I get from reading most posts by people claiming defeat is that most haven't actually felt the axe against their neck, just its shadow. They've been outplayed by the AI, can't match it's armies/web of alliances or played themselves into a dead-end and abandon the campaign before the game actually formalises it for them.

i on the other hand was going big-guns, with two secure islands, a healthy treasury, and able to crank out endless 16 stack armies with no penalty on the bottom line, unless my family line had died or another nation had grabbed the shogunate in only turn 144 i cannot see any reason why i should be defeated. i had not even attracted the (full) ire of the present shogun.

i am confused.

happened again.

replayed from turn 136 and when i got to 145 i got the same defeat message:

*puzzled*

bug?

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Turn 145 this time, or 144 as the first time?

I think your best shot is that someone else has claimed the Shogunate. Is that the Matsuda clan so far to the east (the teal)?
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    Turn 145 this time, or 144 as the first time?

I think your best shot is that someone else has claimed the Shogunate. Is that the Matsuda clan so far to the east (the teal)?
    Thats it!

This must be a glitch or you have not conqered all of Japan.\Thats why its comes up.Its a common thing in total war games

the game REALLY ought to inform you why you were defeated, especially if the victory condition is one you might not be able to otherwise know.....

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Why don't you look in the clan info screen and see your objectives were. Maybe you have started a short campaign without knowing it. The game starts every campaign by default as a short campaign. Other then that is should be a glitch since you didn't get a warning that an other clan was winning.
    Tosa Inu

you are right, both ways:
    > it is a short campaign by default
    > but there should be a tool-tip saying why you are defeated, and warnings that defeat is imminent.

=cheers.