Thread: The Org's Writing Contest 2011!

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default The Org's Writing Contest 2011!

It has been a while and some of you have been waiting a long time for this to happen, but the day has finally come and it's back!

The one and only .ORG's writing contest!

Oh boy What a writing contest this will be !

We challenge YOU, yes YOU there, with that keyboard and that well of inspiration in your head, YOU are challenged to write us a story which takes place during the period of Sengoku Jidai, which is the setting of Total War: Shogun II.

Minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 2.000 words !

*** The Prize ***: Winner and runner-up will both receive a prized .Org literary badge to show off their victory. On top of that, the winner will receive a 20 $ Amazon gift card

The Rules are simple:

1) One submission per person. All submissions must be original and new (unpublished) work.

2) The story can be fiction or non fiction, as you see fit, and must have a length between 500 and 2.000 words. Use word-counting software or web site if you need help with this. (Microsoft Word has it built in. For other word counting software try Q10). Note that we are not at all aiming for historical accuracy.

3) The standard Org rules regarding language apply for the contest.

4) The submission period will run from now until June 12th, 19h00 GMT+1. To submit your entry, PM your story to Andres. The story will be anonymously posted in a separate submission thread. Please, do not tell anyone which story is yours; violating this rule results in immediate exclusion from the contest.

5) Everyone may write and enter, from Junior Members to Org staff, except for the judges.

6) ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE FINAL. Submissions are posted “as is” when received by Andres. Once posted will not be edited (unless I made a mistake with copy/pasting or bolding or such; in that case drop me a pm (do not post about it in public, as this will qualify as a violation of rule n° 4)).

7) We are well aware that many participants are not native speakers. The jury will not take into account spelling mistakes or grammatical mistakes; this doesn't mean you should write in gibberish though

The Judging

The winner will be decided by three judges (50 %) and popular vote (50 %):

The judges are:
    - Banquo's Ghost
    - Lemur
    - CraigTW

What we're looking for is mainly a few things; originality, creativity, how well you express your ideas and captivate us.

A poll will run during two weeks. The poll will be put up together with a thread in which all submissions will be posted. The jury will have its results ready at the same time as the poll ends.

The winner and runner-up will be announced within one week after the poll has been closed.

8) Andres is infallible and also a god. He's also invincible and your idol. You worship him. He cannot make a mistake. It's impossible. If you think he has made a mistake, then you are wrong and it is all your fault. Before writing your story, you will pray 100 Hail Andres's. On your knees.

Good luck and let those creative juices flow!

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: The Org's Writing Contest 2011!

Absolutely epic! I can't wait for this!

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

How does the might Andres feel about ballads and other poetic stuff?
    Last edited by Motep; 05-19-2011 at 21:20.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Motep View Post
    How does the might Andres feel about ballads and other poetic stuff?
    It would certainly be very original. Go ahead
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

May I join?

I have my story ''THE RISE OF THE TAKEDA CLAN'' ,can it enter?please..

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate View Post
    May I join?

I have my story ''THE RISE OF THE TAKEDA CLAN'' ,can it enter?please..
    If it has not been published/posted before, then yes. If it's the same as the one you already posted in the Mead Hall, then, unfortunately, no (cf. rule 1.)

Ja mata, TosaInu

Oh come on!Thats unfair! I find the word limit unfair.

sorry,I'm getting angry.It's on other websites,I saw this limit resriticon ,and I got angry.

[Although you may not agree with the terms of the competition please do not insult entire cultural groups, thank you for at least apologising. Next time you find yourself this irate post your frustration in a polite manner, or not at all - Psychonaut]
    Last edited by naut; 05-27-2011 at 08:26.

I cant wait to start reading what kind of stories people will come up with!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am interested in taking part, I just need to find a setting which gives me some inspiration.

Anyone got any favorite genres?
    (Action, Adventure, Andres, Mystery, Romance, Satirical, etc)
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I am interested in taking part, I just need to find a setting which gives me some inspiration.

Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post

My absolute favourite.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I shall have to withdraw my story then:(

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Historical fiction is my favorite. Couple it with some superstition (negative kind) and make a spooky sort of tale. For example, the Franklin Expedition not being doomed by lead poisioning, but rather some darker lurking something or other. If I had any talent, that would be my tale. :)

I shall have to withdraw my story then:(
    Write something new Takeda. There is time if you start now! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Hmm..it is sad,But I will try.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Gonna have to take a swing at this once finals are over. Sounds like fun. Only have done a couple of short stories. Will be interesting to try something based on an historical period for a change.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Member Member Shigemasa Oyamada's Avatar

I've always wanted to write a story as a Takeda Cavalryman at Nagashino, perhaps I'll do that....
    It is possible to be too much smarter than your opponent. If you give credit for more subtlety than he has, he can achieve tactical surprise by doing the obvious.

Am I to understand that I garner no additional points if I write this in Japanese, and that if I do so (write in japanese, mind, not curry favour) I risk being shunned by the community at large?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Motep, we would all be very impressed, but it would be hard on the judges who don't read Japanese. Which would be all of them. So do what feels right.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what my brother and sister Orgahs come up with ...

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

What about: The Decline and Fall of the Otaku clan: The sad demise of shogun no-lifè-san? I have some good ideas for this (satirical) story.
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 05-26-2011 at 09:48.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Since we're not aiming for historical accuracy, you're pretty free in what you come up with. I, for one, would certainly welcome some comedy.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Since we're not aiming for historical accuracy, you're pretty free in what you come up with. I, for one, would certainly welcome some comedy.
    Comedy? I think I can do that...
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Had such a motivational idea for a tale the other day! Finished drafting/planning the whole thing and finally got to writing it through. Just realised I've hit the 1 500 mark and have only finished the introduction. What a damn shame... back to the drawing boards. Or the planning boards, in this case. Must make it short and sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Warluster View Post
    Had such a motivational idea for a tale the other day! Finished drafting/planning the whole thing and finally got to writing it through. Just realised I've hit the 1 500 mark and have only finished the introduction. What a damn shame... back to the drawing boards. Or the planning boards, in this case. Must make it short and sweet!
    Yeah, I for one think that 5k words is much more reasonable, but whatever. I took an idea I had for one of my stories and set it in Japan. I ended up getting to nearly 7k words by time I noticed and I said #$@% it, I will just keep writing. I am just gonna work it back into my other story and write something else for the contest. I will probably do a short comedy.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I`ll see what I can put together by the 12th, got my midterms now, but I will try ;).

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have done a similar piece before, you basically have to write out a basic scene, and not make it into a book, that is how I got around it. This got me hitting 2.4k words, then I trimmed that down to 1.7k.

Though a mistake I made was forgetting this was set in Japan, so I am rather behind.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Deadline is coming near, so hurry up

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Deadline is coming near, so hurry up
    Writing, writing, writing...

Proud

Been to:

Well, I guess I have soemthing to do friday.

And it's closed! May the best short story win.

Proud

Been to:

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This time I will be part of the audience... Too busy with Real Life, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 06-12-2011 at 18:31.
    R.I.P. Tosa...