Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

I'll skip the roman one as I think is quite known...
    Just few infos about Germanic and Celtic warfare:

The common view for the germanic tribes regarding military actions was centered on the raid, it was conducted by small bands from villages each with its own leader...
    They all usually responded to the warband chief, who was also the tribe's chief; the goal of the raid was to acquire loot and gain fame within the tribe and among all tribes...
    Also when the tribe moved for an open battle, the women, the elders and children followed...
    When the germanic folks engaged in battle they resorted to infantry wedge formations, with the chiefs always up front; they also opted for series of ambushes by day or night in forest areas...
    Cavalry was limited, but by this time started to abandon its skirmisher role for a heavy shock troop...

The Celtic world, especially in the mainland, on the other hand was starting to get more and more urbanized: oppida developed once again and people gathered in a single huge settlement, where administrative and economic life took place...
    This affected the military bringing more troops in the form of levies, this brought more influence on the spear and less "champions' confrontations"...
    But as a tribe gained wealth and a more solid organization, it could muster superior noble forces, better equipped, on foot and mounted...
    These troops, even though capable and highly trained, couldn't be replaced within one generation time...

Insular Celts, still had a less urbanized society, which respected, and sometimes worshipped, champions and heroes...
    Open warfare was characterized by cattle raids and aristocratic champions, usually moving on chariots, which engaged in smaller forces...
    The south of Britain, had by this time developed into a more organized society, similar to the continent's, but it still held those ancient values of heroic warfare...

Mind you all this is my very limited knowledge, I'm by no means an historian...

As an overall these 3 "world" were quite similar and shared a common ancestry, they were regional evolutions of the same values and concepts...
    In a way the germanic way represented the primordial step of chiefs caring for the family and by extension the tribe, leading by example; the insular's was the mid step towards urbanization and the continent's one was the very beginning of this last phase...
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-11-2011 at 22:29.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

By the way, Brennus passed away! He had to go on a personal raid through Gaul.
    Warluster will take his tribe.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yay, Warluster is back!!

AVE!

With the reacent turbulence in Gallia, caused by the attempt of mass migration of Helvetii. I Gaius Julius Caesar, proconsul of Rome, invite all the Chief´s and Warlord´s of Gallia, Germania and Britain to conference at Gallia Transalpina. The conference will be held at city of Narbo Martius
    Caesar bid´s you all wellcome there to negotiate, so the future of us all will be a better one and peace at Gallia can be guaranteed.

Caesar

Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

To add something. If you do not trust your safety to come in person, please send a representative and please publically announce if you are coming or not.

- Nameless Roman scribe.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Arverni will participate to hear what the Romans have to say.

Chief Vergincetorix
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Blog Entries

The Suebi will participate in such a meeting.

Chief Ariovistus of the Suebi

Kassiwalaunos will not attend and finds it outrageous to gather in roman territory...
    Assemblies were always held on sacred grounds, under druids' supervision, asking to come to Narbo, in complete negligence of tradition, is something no free Kelt could bring himself to do!
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-13-2011 at 16:38.

First of all, happy birthday, Caesar!

Second: I hope to give you numbers and rules at the end of the weekend. Just one comment before: At the time of J.C. (Julius Caesar) modern communication means were not commenly used. One feature will be, that you have to meet someone, if you want to discuss things or send him a messanger.
    The meeting innitiated by JC is the first phase of the game and a good chance to get to know each other

Well guess those diplomats sent to the Uenetoi, can go and hear what he has to say, but the Bren in person is out of the question...

Diviciacus will attend this meeting on behalf of the Aedui.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

The Lord of the Venti is pleased to annouce that he will be sending envoys to the Roman council. Besides diplomacy, they will be acredited to discuss trade with all those peoples with access to the great sea who wish to strike up trding relationships with us - the Lords of the foamy brine.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Representatives of the glorious Sotiates will attend this gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Kassiwalaunos, Bren of the Katuwellaunoi, ordered to intensify hostilities against the Trinovatoi, leaving on his chariot with a mighty host...

Before departing he entrusted prominent men of the tribe, bards and druids, to enter negotiations with the Atrebatoi, in a kinship spirit between Belgai: wishing for them to act as mediators with the mainland brethrens to consolidate trade and offering a Pan-Belgic alliance, promising to assist against any foe soon as the Trinovatoi were to fall...

The Bren also sent his most distinguished diplomats to set sail with merchants towards the land of the Uenetoi (KingKurt), offering an increase to trade and a naval military pact of co-operation...
    Gotta bump my other post, important matters there :P

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Unarmed messengers of our tribe will participate freely in this assembly of warlords. We would warn this Roman warlord himself that any act of violence against any man of Gaul and its tribes will be viewed extremely negatively, without exemption.

We will also send a messenger to inquire as to the nature of a 'pan-Belgic' pact, as described by the warlord of the Catuvellauni.

Boduognatus of the Nervii,

Blog Entries

Unarmed messengers of our tribe with gifts to our friends will also attend the meeting. I fully trust that Julius will protect our messengers during this great meeting. We will also send men to see about any trade deals with fellow tribes. No acts of aggression though can be put against our men however.

Chief Ariovistus of the Suebi

The Katuwalaunoi envoy reported the Bren wishes for the alliance as follows:

All members must recognize Kassiwalaunos' authority over the Isles, while at the same time he respects the mainland's chiefs, declaring he'll never expand in other lands.
    This will confer to any Belgai tribe in Pritannia the status of protected tribe; as for the mainland the Bren hopes to form a war council made of all the members' chiefs, which will elect annually among them a Kingetorix (warriors leader), to whom every chief must answer.
    All administration will remain untouched and every community is free to organize itself; the foremost goal of this alliance is to protect all its members.

Once there'll be a common acceptance to this pact, Kassiwalaunos hopes every chief will swear an oath to the gods in a nementon (sacred grove), where the first council will take place.
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-14-2011 at 15:14.

The free peoples of the Trinovantes and Cantiaci sign a treaty of friendship. Both are not able to attent the conference, but they send gifts of friendship to the people of Rome and their Porconsul.

The most noble and mighty Belgian tribe of the Eburones is not going to join the conference.

The Menapii declare, that they haven't heard of any Caesar and they do not care about what is going on in the south!

The Attrebates will send agents from both clans, from the island and the continent.

The chiefs of the Carnutes, Namnetes, Parisii and Treveri will attend the meeting.

AVE!
    Roman Senate and people are happy that such a large number of Gallic, Briton and Germanic Lords are coming to our meeting. We are missing only few tribes and their responses. Namely: Remi, Sequani and Allobroges. If you would be so kind to inform us about your participation, so the rest of us may begin the talks.

Roman messenger
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Allobroges will be at Narbo Martius. We welcome this chance for discussion between the tribes.

Chief Catugnatus.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

The Remi are wary about these talks. Nevertheless, an influential member will attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

One missing.

Roman messenger
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

From the warlord of the Treveri:

Where are the Sequani? Are they already eaten up by their Germanian allies?

And what by Teutates are the Allobrogoes doing at the confernece. I thought this was a meeting of free Gauls, not Canes Romanis.

We need rules Franconicus ^^

Rules:
    1) There are four turns per year: spring, summer, autumn and winter.
    2) You send me your orders at the beginning of each turn.
    3) You can do your diplomacy with other warlords, make treaties, declare war etc. You can announce things in the thread or keep it secret.
    4) You play not as a tribe, but as a historical person. This means that you can go on playing, even if your people is wiped out. You lose, if you die, even if your army is victorious.
    5) You win if you fulfill the conditions for victory. Each player gets some. They are similar, with minor differences.
    6) You are not a dictator. All tribes have a the political concept of oligarchy. At the moment, you are on top. But things can change. So you better keep your people satisfied.
    7) With the exception of the Romans, the players do not have armies. If there is war, you have to call your warriors to arms. If you are attacked, you can count on them. If you want to invade, you have to motivate your men to come and fight. You cannot rely on full strength.
    8) Money has not much importance for the Gauls. Some of them, which are trading with Rome, know the pleasure of Mediterranean whine, others do not care at all. Money may keep your people happy, that is all. Of course, things are different for the Romans. The income is the income of the tribe, not of the chief. If you take all, they may look for another chief.
    9) Food: Of course, food is essential for the happiness of your people and for the moral of your army. Keep an eye on this.
    10) Communication: Ancient Gaul did not have means of modern communication. Therefore, I would like to build hurdles in this part. Every player can communicate directly only with others if they are at the same place. However, there are two other options. The player can send letters, but only one per turn. Or he can send agents, which he must hire from the org.-people. These can visit other tribes and discuss with them.
    11) You will soon find out that the game is unjust, esp. against you. This is a basic law in Interactive History, not personal! And it has nothing to do with the ignorance or fiendishness of the moderator. So be brave and do or forget that it is misery, that discovers the genius of the commander.

Info about your strength and your goal is in progress!

I'm new to the interactive history play, how long is a turn in RL time? And how is decided the outcome of a battle?

The time for a turn variies, depending on how active the players are and how much time they need.
    Before the first round there is this meeting, which is very important for the game, because it gives you the chance to communicate without limitations - so get to know each other and make friends and enemies. I think this event will give the game its direction. So chose your friends and enemies and work on your strategy.
    The battles: They will be done according to the setup and the orders of the players, decision will be made by me, depending on my own secret calculation plan and my current mood.
    If there will be a good chance and a big battle, I wonder if I try to make the battle also round based with more influence for the players.

I know that you still need the numbers (population, warriors etc). I am busy working on that. However, I caught a bad cold, got loads of rl work and my computer is getting slower and slower.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

It all looks pretty standard except:

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    [B]... Or he can send agents, which he must hire from the org.-people...
    Does this mean we have to find another member to act as a diplomat or am misinterpreting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Don't worry Franconicus, I'm just curious and excited lol
    Take your time and take care of yourself ^^

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

So this Roman, Julius Caesar, wants all the 'all the Chiefs and Warlords' of Gaul, Germania and Britain to meet him, unarmed, on Roman soil, all at once? Makes one stop to think.

Still, if all else will be there, the Sequani would not be the ones to shy away. I will be there on my tribe's behalf; lets just hope his intentions are as clean as he makes them out to be.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-20-2011 at 17:10.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast