Thread: Greater incorporation of EB

Lightbulb Greater incorporation of EB

Despite being one of the two primary discussion areas of the .Org (the other being the Tavern), the EB subfora are almost a backwater. EB provides more new members to this site than any other source, but because of its isolation from the ruling establishment I feel like many EB people half believe that the rest of the forum simply doesn't exist. The only reminder that there is a "rest of the forum" is Ludens, the EB subfora's official moderator. The Frontroom, which is only slightly more active than EB, has three moderators. Of course, what really holds back the EB forums from anarchy is its fine group of local moderators.

Foot, bobbin, and XSamatan are the local moderators of EB (Atilius and JMRC are inactive). They are very worthy members. Foot was a prominent EB developer, is the EBII mod leader, is a moderator of the EB subforum, all three of its subfora, and the EBII subforum. I think Foot has contributed immensely to the .Org. The same goes for bobbin and XSamatan. bobbin is a helpful member, I'm not a member of EB so I don't the details but I assume he is very helpful because he is very intelligent, and bobbin is a nice, fair, and reasonable person. XSamatan runs the EB screenshot competition each month and is also a valuable member of EB. And there are many more good people in the EB forums, such as the submod leaders, and the multiplayer tournament leaders.

Every year members who the staff deem worthy are promoted to the honorary rank of Senior Member. However, I have never seen a single senior member in the EB subforums other than those who also post in the Tavern, where the decision makers of the .Org primarily reside. I am not implying some sort of wacko conspiracy theory - I'm not that crazy - I am only saying that a lot of talent and virtue in the EB community goes unnoticed because there are no people who could use that talent there to notice it in the first place. As I previously mentioned, the only .Org staff member who frequents EB is Ludens and he never posts much. What the EB subforum needs is representation.

Of course, if the EB subforums should get representation there is no better source for representatives than the EBers themselves. It would be rather ridiculous to tell someone to visit a subforum they never visited before, or to care about something they never bled for. Fortunately, there are plenty of people from the EB forums who could fit the bill. Foot especially, and bobbin and XSamatan are all excellent contributing members to the .Org who could do the community good. Just a few EB people on the .Org staff could help bring the interests of the EB community to the attention of the rest of us, and could unlock huge amounts of hidden potential. There are 264,500 posts in the EB subforum, 27,300 in the EBII subforum, together that means that in total there are 291,800 EB posts on the .Org. On the TWC there are a total of 596,000 posts for every single Rome: Total War mod combined. Given that the membership of the .Org is a fraction that of TWC, and that mod forums on Total War Center are all active whereas on the .Org EB is the only modification with any kind of posting activity at all, I find it near unbelievable that EB alone can half as many posts as all the mods on TWC combined.

Imagine if the EB subforums and the .Org staff united. They could do great things! Terrible, yes, but great. (/harry potter)

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Greater incorporation of EB

Actually I've noticed the staff have made an effort recently to involve the EB forum. Andres posted asking if there was any advertising he could help with, forumwide competitions have been posted there and EB PBMs in the Throne Room are always advertised there as well. A number of mafia games have been advertised there in the past.

As for the EB staff, and I agree with you, they are a great bunch, have you asked them if they want any honours such as Senior Member?

There are quite a number of contributors to the Tavern who started out as EB forum only, me for one. I doubt the EB team would want too much obtrusive advertising or promotion in their forum. The rest of the org is there for EB forumers to enjoy, they don't need to be forced in to venturing out, plenty of people have managed it in the past.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

There is a discussion going amongst the staff about reorganizing/restructuring the Org. One of the main points is trying to get our biggest subforums a more prominent place or at least a bigger chance to be viewed. Mind you, this is a fierce debate and we're far from making a defenite decision but know that we are at least working on it.

Senior members are chosen by the staff based on merit. Unfortunatly this means that if that merit isn't seen by one of the staff, that member will most likely be skipped. In order to remedy this you'll have to advertise a bit. If you have/organize something that has worth, PM a content manager. We'll advertise it on the frontpage and everywhere else relevant. It'll get other members' attention which will benefit both the EB-forum as well as the entire Org.

If the EB-forum is serious about it's representation on the Org, than it's entirely in their own hands. Explore the other subforums, contribute in other threads. We're glad that their is a dedicated EB-subforum on the Org and we're willing to do as much as possible to support you. The staff is well aware of the potential in the EB-subforum and I imagine that 'represantation' wouldn't be a long wait if aN UPSTANDING EBmember would wish to engage himself for the entire Org.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    Despite being one of the two primary discussion areas of the .Org (the other being the Tavern), the EB subfora are almost a backwater. EB provides more new members to this site than any other source, but because of its isolation from the ruling establishment I feel like many EB people half believe that the rest of the forum simply doesn't exist. The only reminder that there is a "rest of the forum" is Ludens, the EB subfora's official moderator. The Frontroom, which is only slightly more active than EB, has three moderators. Of course, what really holds back the EB forums from anarchy is its fine group of local moderators.

Foot, bobbin, and XSamatan are the local moderators of EB (Atilius and JMRC are inactive). They are very worthy members. Foot was a prominent EB developer, is the EBII mod leader, is a moderator of the EB subforum, all three of its subfora, and the EBII subforum. I think Foot has contributed immensely to the .Org. The same goes for bobbin and XSamatan. bobbin is a helpful member, I'm not a member of EB so I don't the details but I assume he is very helpful because he is very intelligent, and bobbin is a nice, fair, and reasonable person. XSamatan runs the EB screenshot competition each month and is also a valuable member of EB. And there are many more good people in the EB forums, such as the submod leaders, and the multiplayer tournament leaders.

Every year members who the staff deem worthy are promoted to the honorary rank of Senior Member. However, I have never seen a single senior member in the EB subforums other than those who also post in the Tavern, where the decision makers of the .Org primarily reside. I am not implying some sort of wacko conspiracy theory - I'm not that crazy - I am only saying that a lot of talent and virtue in the EB community goes unnoticed because there are no people who could use that talent there to notice it in the first place. As I previously mentioned, the only .Org staff member who frequents EB is Ludens and he never posts much. What the EB subforum needs is representation.

Of course, if the EB subforums should get representation there is no better source for representatives than the EBers themselves. It would be rather ridiculous to tell someone to visit a subforum they never visited before, or to care about something they never bled for. Fortunately, there are plenty of people from the EB forums who could fit the bill. Foot especially, and bobbin and XSamatan are all excellent contributing members to the .Org who could do the community good. Just a few EB people on the .Org staff could help bring the interests of the EB community to the attention of the rest of us, and could unlock huge amounts of hidden potential. There are 264,500 posts in the EB subforum, 27,300 in the EBII subforum, together that means that in total there are 291,800 EB posts on the .Org. On the TWC there are a total of 596,000 posts for every single Rome: Total War mod combined. Given that the membership of the .Org is a fraction that of TWC, and that mod forums on Total War Center are all active whereas on the .Org EB is the only modification with any kind of posting activity at all, I find it near unbelievable that EB alone can half as many posts as all the mods on TWC combined.

Imagine if the EB subforums and the .Org staff united. They could do great things! Terrible, yes, but great. (/harry potter)
    The importance of EB is not lost on the Org. One of our Tech Admins, therother, is an EBer and I have discussed EB with him on numerous occasions. We are perfectly happy to help EB get more exposure and ensure that the Org is as welcoming a place for them as possible. I have already made multiple inquiries about various changes that could be made to help EB, via therother, but there has not as yet been any requests from the EB staff. I assure you, if the EB staff contact me about anything they need or want, I will bend over backwards to make sure it gets done. Such a request needs to come from the EB staff though.

Blog Entries

seems like a good idea to me

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

EB member Moros's contributions to the Org are simply fantastic, and I feel guilty being a senior member when he isn't. Also he kicked my ass in rap battle so... Aside from him there is some really good stuff posted by people in the EB forums (granted I rarely visit there now).