Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

I think I tired it before, wasn't it an MMO type thing? Plus I'm divided between Skyrim and a SS 6.4 SP campaign as Hungary. With Longer Assimilation on it's real fun, and those starting lands are very defensible! And they can recruit Hungarian Nobles from turn 1, making them one of the most fun nations to start with!

I also have to write, do my After Effects project AND do my duties as CM... If I only had 40 hours per day...
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

You have heard reports from the East that Savas is a particularly well liked and successful ruler. He led the Byzantines to completely destroy turkey which had pushed them mostly out of Anatolia, and has won himself the devoted loyalty of many generals.
    So bear in mind that while the ERE certainly is a mess quite often, it is currently under the sway of a very successful, but also very old (73), ruler.

You also should't feel like fighting them isn't an option though. I'm not out to kill you guys, but to give you a fun and challenging ride.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

He's 73? Ain't no way in hell that I'm giving up Constantinople now. He's well liked sure, but what if I offer Hungary's assistance to that general with the cav near Constantinople? With my backing we can make sure he becomes the next Basileos, or so he would think. Certainly better chances than simply starting a civil war.

Also, I bet the K-Shah and Eggies don't like him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I think I tired it before, wasn't it an MMO type thing? Plus I'm divided between Skyrim and a SS 6.4 SP campaign as Hungary. With Longer Assimilation on it's real fun, and those starting lands are very defensible! And they can recruit Hungarian Nobles from turn 1, making them one of the most fun nations to start with!

I also have to write, do my After Effects project AND do my duties as CM... If I only had 40 hours per day...
    No its not an MMO type of thing :) You are a character on a say a map of Europe that interacts with towns, villages and castles to trade, recruit pesants, nobles and mercenaries to train for troops while interacting with the lands different factions and nobles, fighting tourneys and doing a lot of different "quests" and leading your troops and companions in battle :) Its a simple but also very very complex game. You should try it^^ See if you can become a lord or perhaps even king/queen It can be very hard, unless you cheat by reloading saves :P Skyrim is awesome, sadly i got fed up on it after spending nearly a week constantly playing it^^

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    You have heard reports from the East that Savas is a particularly well liked and successful ruler. He led the Byzantines to completely destroy turkey which had pushed them mostly out of Anatolia, and has won himself the devoted loyalty of many generals.
    So bear in mind that while the ERE certainly is a mess quite often, it is currently under the sway of a very successful, but also very old (73), ruler.

You also should't feel like fighting them isn't an option though. I'm not out to kill you guys, but to give you a fun and challenging ride.
    He is terribly old, i wonder if they are united about his heir? Bringing a blade to whoever that may be seem like a good idea. Soon he will die and leave that terribly heavy burden of leadership that oh so many wants, but few can carry alone. If we intervene deftly they will stay divided, at least untill the balkan is ours and by then its too late.
    Last edited by Mithridate; 01-18-2012 at 15:44.

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

What's all this 'your grace' business in the courtroom? They might call the King that in the game of thrones books but I'm pretty sure it isn't what anyone would have called the king in medieval hungary.

Sire, your highness, your majesty would all be fine I would have thought.

As far as I know 'your grace' would be reserved for an archbishop or a duke in england. To be fair I think the king of scotland used to be called 'your grace' but this isn't scotland!

I know, I am really pedantic but it is bothering me!
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

I've just spent the past hour and a half reading through the KotR Cataclysm thread, and boy, am I annoyed at how I squandered Wolfgang's position. But it was well worth the read though, and has reminded me once again why I love the Org and these games so much.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

It seems those Slav levies I recruited in Sofia didn't get recruited. That means I ought to have 370 florins more.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

BTW, who owns the spy that is sitting in my fortress?

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

The spy belongs to myth/the king.

Ignoramus, I think that is my fault due to some peculiar first turn events. When the turn started, you were not yet in the game and Myth made a request for your character to recruit cavalry in Sofia for the king, filling its production slots.
    When I was finishing the turn I was setting this up and must have accidentally canceled your slav levies. You are of course reimbursed the 370 (now changed in the OOC 1st post and the save thread to reflect this), I hope it isn't too much of an issue, and I think such situations should not come up again in the future as every character now has a player.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Read this link, it really clears things up on who is who and who outranks whom.

Another link that has foreign titles included.

Bulgaria on the SS map consists of Sofia and Targoviste, although we've held Tessaloniki in the past as well. In order for one to be dubbed Duke of Bulgaria he must be the Baron or Earl of both Sofia and Targoviste and must be approved by the King.

On the subject of how it is proper to address someone, read this page.

In short, the King is addressed as "Your Majesty" or in some instances as "His Royal Majesty", the King's children may be addressed as "my Royal Highness". Dukes are addressed as "Your Grace" in England and as "Your Highness" in most other countries. Everything below - Count, Viscount, Earl and Baron are Lordships, ie. "my Lordship" or simply "my Lord".

You can't all be Dukes. This title is reserved for close relatives of the King or those of his closest friends he has elected to Dukedom. In fact the only one who is fitting to be a Duke is Bokeny and only if he is granted a nice city to be Duke over it's province. Like Constantinople or Tessaloniki.

Well, it looks like Groef is the most historically accurate title available. I am fine with using that, but it is certainly an unfamiliar word and since the game uses Duke I would be fine with sticking with that out of convenience.
    What do other people think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Well, it looks like Groef is the most historically accurate title available. I am fine with using that, but it is certainly an unfamiliar word and since the game uses Duke I would be fine with sticking with that out of convenience.
    What do other people think?
    I'm ok with Duke, I'm not too hung up on accuracy (except your grace, it's driving me mad! I keep hearing Sean bean!)

Ok, we have a problem - I just took those 4 cav along with me on my march to Thrace. So I guess I'll have to redo my turn.

Also, may I make a suggestion that the funds of everybody are kept private to all except NB? It would make the game more interesting.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 01-19-2012 at 09:33.

Groef means Graf or Count in English. Count is fine. The SS team who made the titles focused on making the Western cities more accurate and threw the East to the dogs (as usual). The title of Duke is an important one and should not be used lightly. Everyone is a Count, Viscount, Earl or Baron unless the King says they are a Duke. NB can change title names accordingly via the console.

Also, Mithridate, I notice a trend in the way you speak in character - the Kievan Rus representatives in MoT is the same as your current character in this game. You speak brashly, yell a lot and have very strong opinions and tend to give orders. Such words as "we must decide" and such and such thing must happen does not fly in the 1200s where the King has absolute power. Try to be more suggestive and less provocative, please

What is this talk I hear of two stacks camped in front of Constantinople? Can I get a screenshot? Indeed I thought our finances were private, hence me protecting my spreadsheet with a password.

It is possible that his character is just like that Myth, I suggest you give him an IC warning. :)

And yes, your finances will be private from here on, I just posted them on the first turn because of various people coming in and out of the game. I wanted new people to know how much money they would have, and to have it public in case people had to leave right after starting. From now on all finances will be private.

Also, I can change the title in character descriptions to Count in this forum, but I would have to modify game files to change it in the game and that would require us to restart. So the actual in-game titles will still say Duke, even though you are all counts.

Now that we have got all the characters filled up with a stable group, I am going to remove funds from the character descriptions and change the titles to count.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Ok, we have a problem - I just took those 4 cav along with me on my march to Thrace. So I guess I'll have to redo my turn.

Also, may I make a suggestion that the funds of everybody are kept private to all except NB? It would make the game more interesting.
    Sorry about that, like the last issue, that shouldn't be a problem now that everyone is player controlled.

Also, since finances will now be secret, everyone should PM your end of turn report to me when it is ready, rather than posting it.

Myth, I know how frustrating it can be if things happen that seem to be ahistorical, but don't let that detract from it. If vassals are being too rebellious for your liking, do something about it. You got powers as King - use them to suggest that loyalty and obedience is more profitable and safer than disloyalty.

Just to let everyone know, I included a sample format for end of turn reports in the first post.

You can format them as you wish, but that is one example which is clear to me.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

If nothing else, possession of two settlements and the King's Purse gives him a massive advantage incomewise. I can barely support my army if I leave the castle and lose the free upkeep.

Count sounds fine to me, although I rather like Groef.

Spoilered discussion starting here is likely might be better hashed out here in the OOC thread than trapped in spoilers in an IC thread...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053414415

That post sounds more to me like how Kings expected feudalism to behave than how it was on the ground in most countries. Unless Hungary was radically different in that period from other feudal nations.

Realism is tricky in these types of games, and often comes to a balance between making the game fun and versimillitude (not quite the same as realism. an example of is how much "your grace" bothers Phonics even if it was the right address for some levels of nobility), and where that balance should be is likely to differ among all players. We just have to find a point at which everyone can compromise.

Funny thing is, the more I read about medieval history the more I suspect the players in these games actually argue less and act more united than actual rulers did, from France to Anatolia to Baghdad to Tokyo.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Count sounds fine to me, although I rather like Groef.
    Anyone who wants to be a Groef just let me know, otherwise you will be a Count unless you come into possession of significant amounts of land, in which case the king might promote you to Duke.

I abandoned the first KOTN game exactly because TCV roleplayed the Basileus as the end-all, be-all ruler who owned ALL the armies and ALL the lands and no one could so much as speak rudely without worrying about being punished like a mischievous child. Even in my spoilered tag I said it makes sense game wise for the nobles to own their towns, otherwise the game will regress in a similar fashion.

I don't want to be a history nazi nor do I want to tell people what to do just because I got the King as a character, but a knight saying "our lands" in front of his royal sovereign is too absurd, hence me explaining feudalism. Monkey says he disagrees with "my view on history", I'd like to hear arguments and see sources of how feudalism actually worked which differ from my very simplified explanation, please

Once again: I understand that the King is in the most advantageous position mechanics wise and I do not want to force other players to grovel and scrape before me IC, that just sucks and repeats KotN all over again. I just want some historical accuracy at least fluff wise.

Two armies headed for Constantinople? NB I thought you said the ERE was tied up in Asia Minor
    Last edited by Myth; 01-19-2012 at 12:03.

I'm sure it will happen Myth - as phonics points out, you alone can afford to maintain a strong army No one can even afford the expense of rebelling against you.

a knight saying "our lands" in front of his royal sovereign is too absurd
    Not if they are his ancestral home.

I'd rather not go into too much detail about the reasons behind the very deliberate words I'm choosing (because it will spoil the game) but they make perfect sense to me given the backstory. My character's father was King before the current one. Then there was a deal between the two cousins quickly followed by a revolt / civil war. Think about it and you'll understand why I (and others) might feel that this particular King might not be as strong and able to be tyrannical as others.

EDIT: I don't have enough time to go into a full-blown historical debate about feudalism with you but I'll just quickly address your point by saying that I don't believe any King can ever rule without the consent of his nobles. They inhabit and bear arms to defend their lands and in that practical sense they own them utterly. History is full, absolutely full of examples of tension between the sovereign and his lords. Sometimes one has the political upper hand, sometimes the other.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-19-2012 at 12:10.

Two armies headed for Constantinople? NB I thought you said the ERE was tied up in Asia Minor
    Perhaps that does reflect them being tied up in Asia Minor. If you manage to get some spies to Syria, I think you will understand.

That's a pretty big topic, and will likely need some sourcing from your end as well. All I can say for myself is that the common theme through university classes on medieval history was that feudalism was both caused by and a cause of decentralization. Monarchs would have much theoretical power but far less practical power to do what they want. Oftentimes even in situations where grants of land were not intended to be hereditary they became so (mid to late Ottoman history is a good example of this).

I've got the TWS2 rules revisions, work, and a night out with the wife this weekend, but I'll look through the books I do own on the subject when I can.

In the meantime rather than collect a few dubious internet sources or quick, possibly out of contexts quotes from flipping through aforementioned books I posted a thread on the topic in the monastery, where there are people more qualified than I to try to settle the matter one way or the other. The thread can be found here.

OK :) Well guys it appears I need to check the save before responding. Mithirdate has spoken to the Cuman Khan and we may yet turn his private dealings to our advantage. We have good news concerning Venice but apparently the French King has gone apesh*t and so the West won't really help us. There's much benefit to be had if we vanquish the HRE but we have to secure our positions vs the ERE/Cumans first.

I have an idea about funds - I think of dismantling the Scholarii Barracks in Constantinople. This will be represented as Pozsony abolishing the training grounds and indeed the organization of the Scholarii/Cathaphractoi of old, raiding their building for the gold. The gold I intend to split between the nobles so that they can recruit or not go into debt. I'll see if there's any other "ERE only" buildings that could go. We don't really benefit from the Scholarii Barracks anyway, and if the ERE gets Constantinople I don't want them to be able to recruit them at least for a while.

Hopefully I can match that force outside the city and we can also defend Varad from the Coo-mans.

Yes I understand that in Feudalism we had the constant back-and-forth between centralized power and local power. A strong King means more centralized rule, a weak king means the nobles do whatever the hell they want. This doesn't change the fact that he technically owed their land though. I do understand your IC post now, I had forgotten about the backstory.

True, but "technically" owning land or even commanding armies of supposed slaves (speak with some deposed rulers from Medieval Egypt or the Ottoman Empire about that latter one) is very different from actually doing so, especially in the premodern period.

At any rate, here's to crushing our enemies and driving them before us~

The Ottomans and slavery are a painful subject for any Bulgarian. We've been butchered and raped for 500 years by the Turks. They tore down everything they could - churches, castles, walls... The people were forced to live in fear and oppression. The capital of the Second Bulgarian Tsardom (Kingdom) is my actual home town of Veliko Turnovo. The castle has been reconstructed in the 1970s as we only have the foundations to go by. There is the terrific sound & light show there, though, and that's a sight to see. I have it posted on my Facebook and the videos are public.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anyway the Ottomans were met with resistance in our lands at least. Several revolts happened and we never actually served them apart from the Janissaries who were taken as babies and raised to be part of the infamous warrior caste. This was called "the blood tax" and families would hide their newborn sons to avoid it. There's more and more absurdities and horrors I could mention but that's not the point. The point is that yes, being an overlord to unwilling slaves never works out. That's why the banking elite and the world "leaders" nowadays enslave us subtly, without the masses knowing it. That's a whole 'nother story however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    At any rate, here's to crushing our enemies and driving them before us~
    I'll drink to that!

And Myth, glad you catch my drift now...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast