Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tournament

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default The Tournament

Hey everyone, this will be the official in context thread for the tournament!

I will post descriptions of the events etc... as they are created.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Default Re: The Tournament

if i go to far or its too strange with my pict, please PM me and i might change it^^ Just wanted something that looked relatively cool ;)
    Or you could pm me on how i remove the text that shows the creator...

Hahold and bokony arrives in unison, the grim father and stalwart son.
    Alongside them their family arms where held high with squires carrying their lances and shields.
    Both of them was wearing Crusader colors in the event to pledge their support to the
    Teutons and Templars in their holy war against the faithless and heretical.

Bokony had spent a fortune on proper tournament armors, thick plate jousting armors that made it hard to move properly while offering supreme protection.
    They both had agreed however, that using their regular and tested armors would be prudent in the grand melee as the jousting armor simply lacked any form of mobility.

Bokony reined in, waving a servant fourth carrying a display case.
    "I hereby proclaim that the winner, shall receive this finely crafted sword made by our best weapon smiths and a prize 2000 florins drawn from my own treasury.
    In addition, the winner shall have the privilege of joining us on our campaign to the South. We shall pay upkeep for accompanying troops as well, provided they are put under our command."

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Some time after the hubbub from the arrivals of Bokony and Hahold has died down the standard of the Junior King is sighted on the horizon and before long Bokeny and his entourage arrive at Varad for the tournament. The word goes out that when the remaining participants have arrived the Junior King, as sponsor of the tourney, will make an address to open the festivities.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 03-20-2012 at 05:11.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kerecse a Geregye arrived to the tournament area shortly after Junior King. Trying to stay out of the spotlight he quickly made his way towards his tent to make some last preparations before this great event starts.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

LotD Tournament

Rules

Orders: There will be approximatey 24 hours to submit orders per round. Orders will be sent to TinCow. Each order should state the character that is being moved, the hex to which they are moving, and their combat stance (high/medium/low). Orders to attack another character do not need to be given, as combat will be assumed by default when two avatars move next to one another. If you want a character to refrain from attacking another character, you must specifically state this in your orders. If you do so and move next to that character during the turn, you will not engage them. However, this only applies to your character. If the other player does not give an order to refrain from combat with your character, they will automatically hit you.

Initiative: At the start of each round, initiative will be rolled by TinCow for each avatar. Orders will be resolved following the sequence of initiative.

Movement: Each avatar has a movement speed of 3 hexes, they can double this movement speed if they move in a straight line. If, while moving, an avatar enters a hex adjacent to an opponent, he becomes locked in combat and end his movement in that hex. If an avatar starts a round locked in combat, he cannot move for that round.

Combat
    : When two avatars of opposing teams are next to each other, combat while occur. Combat will play out as written in econ21's tournament and duel rules. If the loser in combat survives the round, he is pushed back one hex, if possible. If there is a tie, both avatars are pushed back one hex, if possible.

Weapons: On the first round, players will send their choice of weapon (mace, sword or lance) with their orders. Thereafter, their weapon choice will be indicated on their avatar. Mace beats sword, sword beats lance, and lance beats mace. In combat, the player with the inferior weapon according to this matchup get a -1 penalty on his die rolls. (Minimum of 1 on the roll and maximum of 6)

Status: On the top left portion of each avatar there will be a color, every avatar will start with green. Once injured, that avatar's color will switch to yellow. When an avatar reaches 0 or negative hit points, he is removed from the hex map. Specific remaining hit point values will not be public knowledge, you will only know if the avatar is injured or uninjured.

Communication: Every contestant is fighting for personal victory. However, all contestant may attempt to communicate with the other contestants during the battle, for reasons such as proposals of temporary alliances or simple taunting. Since all contestants are in a closed arena, there can be no secret communications of any kind. All communications from contestants during the battle must be posted publicly in this thread.

Victory Conditions: The winner of the tournament will be the last avatar left on the field, and combat will continue until only one avatar remains.

Duration: The tournament will last until one avatar remains standing, regardless of how many rounds are required.

Contestant # of Attacks Fight Value Hit Points
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) 1 50 8
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) 2 50 8
    Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus) 1 50 8
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) 1 50 10
    Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) 3 52 8
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nemböl (Mithridate) 3 51 10
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) 1 51 10

Stating Hexs (determined randomly):
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) - 1
    Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) - 8
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) - 92
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) - 169
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King - 162
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) - 78
    Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus) - 85

Round 1 Battle Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lotdtournr1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	4751

@Mithridate, @Zim, @Quirl, @The King, @phonicsmonkey, @Ignoramus
    Orders for Round 1 are due by 5:00 PM EDT on Tuesday, March 20th. Remember to include your weapon choice in this first round of orders!
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-21-2012 at 13:35.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

As the participants gather for the tournament, one illustrious figure is glaringly absent. Pozsony, King of the realm, is nowhere to be seen.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

To a fanfare the Junior King ascends the wooden platform in Varad's central square (usually used for hangings) to address the gathered nobles and spectators who have arrived for the tournament.

"Good people of Varad, nobles of the realm, I welcome you to the Grand Tournament!

It seems that our noble King hath been delayed in his approach and in his absence I am honoured to open the proceedings. The tournament entrants will face off in melee in this city square and the last man standing will win the prize of 3000 florins!

The rules have been made clear by our arbiter and I trust each man here will have the honour and chivalry to abide by them.

May the best man win!"

He leaves the platform and retires to prepare for the upcoming combat.

As the combat starts, the Junior King shouts to Kerecse : "To me!"

Blog Entries

Kerecse nods and rushes towards his liege...

Demeter, brother in arms! Lets show the Juior king and his thrall what we´re made of! Join me and we´ll show em a trick or two in the art of war!

@Zim

Hahold makes a face of disapproval at both his father and the junior king, meets the eyes of both Petur and Andras.
    "Lets show these old men the value of youth and bravery!" To then charge Kerecse.

@Ignoramus @Quirl
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Zim having probs with his medieval, bought steam version and its tricky to get running with mods apparently...
    The others ive got no idea why they are gone :(
    Last edited by Mithridate; 03-21-2012 at 02:22.

Of the six players participating, only three have submitted orders. That is a pretty poor showing. As such, I shall extend the time limit an additional 24 hours. Please try and get these people active, or this is not going to be a very interesting tournament.

New deadline:

Not sure what has happened to @Zim, I thought he was going to be back around the 19th. The other two guys haven't been sighted for a couple weeks.

Still, we have four characters active in the arena so I think that's enough to make it an entertaining bout.

@Nightbringer, what happened to that NPC that was going to take part? The squire?

Sam, Ludolf's squire, comes tearing into the playing area, his brow is covered in sweet and he is leading a stout, if somewhat small, warhorse. He quickly moves towards the arena master and pleads to be allowed to enter, stating that his duties kept him held up until now.

OOC, is it still possible for him to enter, I had thought no-one gave him permission to enter but I realize I never made it clear enough that that was required, and since players seem to want him, here he is.

Bokony overheard his request, after giving him a cold glare he pronounced

I say let him enter, who are we to refuse a squire of the popes emissary?
    After all theyre already in our council, why not our field?

Hahold merely laughed, spurring his horse onwards
    Last edited by Mithridate; 03-21-2012 at 15:56.

The arena was designed for no more than 7 combatants, so adding an eighth at the last minute is not idea. So, instead I will substitute Sam in place of one of the other inactive players. Based on previous posting and the last login time, Quirl seems to be the least likely to submit orders. As such, Petur az akus nembol (Quirl) will be withdrawn from the Tournament, and Sam will enter in his place on Hex 92.

The stat and starting location info listed above has been edited to reflect this, though the battle map has not. If someone can get me a mugshot of Sam, he will appear on next round's battle map. If not, I'll continue to use Petur's mugshot to represent Sam.
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-21-2012 at 13:36.

The Tournament starts with a fair amount of confusion. As the combatants are being introduced, Petur az akus nembol (Quirl) begins to look queasy, and suddenly keels over and retches in the dirt. Several squires rush over to the man and then pick him up and haul him out of the area. A hasty meeting of a few prominent noblemen is convened, and they talk lowly with bowed heads, eventually nodding in unison. Soon a young squire, known only as 'Sam' is pushed out into the melee circle. He is clearly bewildered and spends most of his time trying to buckle his swordbelt instead of moving towards his opponents.

Similar inactivity is apparent between Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) and Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus). The two men stare menacingly at each other, apparently oblivious to everyone else in the arena. So intent is the staring contest, that they remain frozen in place, neither willing to be the first to blink. Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) takes advantage of Andras' turned back to charge him, lance drawn. Andras doesn't even flinch at the sound of his approach, however, and the sight of a man standing statue-still and unmoving in the face of a fiercesome charge causes Bökény a Hahold to pull up just short of contact.

On the western side of the arena, strategic maneuvering is underway. Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) and Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) both heft their maces, shout out to each other, and move together. The stand side by side, facing the rest of the combatants with a joint front. Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) notices the union of these foes, and moves slowly and warily towards them, holding his sword at the ready.

Orders and Weapon choice were not received from Zim, Nightbringer, or Ignoramus. Weapons for their characters were determined randomly.

Contestant # of Attacks Fight Value Hit Points Weapon
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) 1 50 8 Mace
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) 2 50 8 Mace
    Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus) 1 50 8 Lance
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) 1 50 10 Sword
    Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) 3 52 8 Sword
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nemböl (Mithridate) 3 51 10 Sword
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) 1 51 10 Lance

Current Hexs:
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) - 29
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) - 92
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) - 114
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King - 132
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) - 120

Name:	tournround2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	4782

@Mithridate, @Zim, @Nightbringer, @The King, @phonicsmonkey, @Ignoramus
    Orders for Round 2 are due by 5:00 PM EDT on Thursday, March 22nd.

(Please provide a mugshot for Sam the Squire if possible.)
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-25-2012 at 00:56.

The Junior King speaks to Kerecse; "With me, we'll take on this Hahold first!"

Blog Entries

"Let's do that!" answers Kerecse as he turned towards Hahold.

Sam cautiously advances onto the field, watching the riders opposite the arena from him gathering together.

Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) and Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus) remained locked in a staring contest. Neither moving a muscle, not even to look at the opponent maneuvering about them. It is an odd sight, and it unnerves the inexperienced Sam the Squire (Nightbringer), who advances slowly towards Demeter.

The other side of the field is not as quiet though. There, Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) moves first, responding to Junior King Bokeny's call for a charge against Hahold. He rushes forward, determined to flank Hahold, only to find Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) rushing past him towards Junior King. Before Kerecse can turn about to help his partner, Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) comes charging in, halting a short distance away and guarding Hahold's left flank. Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) is the last to move, and by the time he readies his sword, Hahold is almost on top of him. Raising his mace high, Junior King charges at Hahold. The younger Bökény appears somewhat surprised to be on the receiving end of a charge, having not prepared a stance. Instinctively, he also goes into a high stance. Junior King swings again and again at Hahold, easily moving twice as fast as his opponent, but Hahold uses the greater reach of his lance effectively and keeps his attacker at a distance. Then, he jabs back quickly, spearing Junior King in the thigh. The mace-wielder shouts out in pain and falls back a short distance, holding his mace in a defensive position.

Initiative Move Order:
    1) Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King)
    2) Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim)
    3) Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus)
    4) Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate)
    5) Sam the Squire (Nightbringer)
    6) Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate)
    7) Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey)

Melee:
    Junior King - Mace/High
    Hahold - Lance/High (stance chosen randomly)
    Hahold gains +1 advantage due to Lance. Stances are a draw.
    Raw die rolls: Junior King (5,6) Hahold (6)
    Highest Dies tie, Fight Value determines winner. Hahold wins.

Orders were not received from Zim or Ignoramus.

Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) 1 50 8 Mace
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) 2 50 INJURED Mace
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) 1 51 10 Lance

Current Hexs:
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) - 112
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) - 62
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) - 109
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King - 138
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) - 132

Name:	tournround3.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	4810

Orders for Round 3 are due by 5:00 PM EDT on Fruday, March 23rd. Remember to include combat stances (High, Medium, or Low).

(Please provide a mugshot for Sam the Squire if possible.)
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-22-2012 at 22:58.

Sam gives a shout "For Sicily" and spurs his horse forward!

Lucky dice roll Hahold

The Junior King limps towards Kerecse, attempting to join with him once more.

Blog Entries

Kerecse, realizing what just happened, turns around and readies himself. Spectators could hear him cursing with such words that most of them have never heard of... and would probably wish never to hear again..

I like this staring contest we´ve got going here!

Bokony ignored the sicilian and the inactive participants

"Hahold, lets join forces against these dogs, meet fire with fire! Ill hold off this raging puppet while you finish of the head!"

Hahold merely sneered with a laugh and charged the Junior king, while Bokony sighed and took up position

"Try me Kerecse"

(Apologies for the delay, forgot about the timing.)

On the eastern side of the field, Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) continues his cautious advance between the two staring adversaries. As he moves between them, he breaks their line of sight. Seeing another apponent, seemingly for the first time, Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) looks about the field, then moves slowly around Sam's flank. Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus) remains, as always, as solid as a rock.

The eastern side of the field, however, is in full combat. Seeing his temporary ally in danger, Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) raises his mace high and charges in at Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate). Kerecse's assualt is massively strong, and Bokeny swings wildly with his sword several times, trying to fend off his attacker. At the last possible moment, Bokeny slips in the dirt, and the unexpected move throws Kerecse's swing off. The mace weilder becomes momentarily off-balance, and Bokeny's battle instincts kick in, and he jabs forward, spearing Kerecse in the shoulder. Kerecse yelps with pain, and falls back a few paces.

At the same time, Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) charges in to finish off the injured Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey). Junior King raises his mace high to defend himself, and Hahold adapts perfectly, bendling low and jabbing his lance towards Junior King's exposed legs. His thrust goes wide of the mark, though, and Junior King brings his mace down with a crushing blow on Hahold's right arm. Hahold shifts his lance to his left hand to avoid dropping it, and circles around to gain some distance to regroup and assess the situation.

Initiative Move Order:

1. Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King)
    2. Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate)
    3. Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus)
    4. Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate)
    5. Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim)
    6. Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey)
    7. Sam the Squire (Nightbringer)

Melee 1:
    Kerecse: Mace/High +1 from Mace
    Bokeny: Sword/Low +1 from Stance
    Advantages cancel each other out.
    Raw die rolls: Kerecse (6) Bokeny (2,2,6)
    Highest Dies tie, Fight Value determines winner. Bokeny wins.

Melee 2:
    Hahold: Lance/Low
    Junior King: Mace/High
    Hahold gains +2 advantage.
    Raw die rolls: Hahold (2+2) Junior King (4, 5)
    Junior King has the highest die roll. Junior King wins.

Orders were not received from Ignoramus.

Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) 1 50 INJURED Mace
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) 2 50 INJURED Mace
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) 1 51 INJURED Lance

Current Hexs:
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) - 112
    Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) - 38
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) - 59
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) - 134
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King - 137
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) - 132

Name:	tournround4.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	4839

Orders for Round 4 are due by 8:00 PM EDT on Saturday, March 24th. Remember to include combat stances (High, Medium, or Low).
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-26-2012 at 15:25.

And you say that im a lucky roller^^

Hahold awkwardly grasped the lance with his left hand, Grabbing a knife with his nearly useless right

Well done old man, but im not done yet!

Bokeny merely snorts and move against Kerecse with grim determination
    Last edited by Mithridate; 03-24-2012 at 20:34.

Blog Entries

Kerecse showing his disgust makes a gesture as if he wipes a dust off of his injured shoulder and prepares himself for another round..

On the east side of the arena, cautious maneauvering is the word of the day. Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) advances slowly towards Sam the Squire (Nightbringer), pressing the young man but not forcing a melee. Sam edges backwards, away from the veteran approaching him. Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus) begins to drool on himself.

The western side of the arena is a flurry of movement and shouting. Both pairs of partners are crying out to one another and trying to coordinate their movements. It is the father and son team that reacts fastest though. The elder Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) moves to his son's flank, guarding it against attack. With his rear protected, Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) gives a mighty shout and charges directly at Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey). Junior King slashes wildly, deflecting Hahold's lance, but his injured leg slows him down and Hahold punches him in the face as he rides past. Junior King falls to the ground, unconscious. Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) begins to move to Junior King's aid, but the pain in his shoulder distracts him and slows him down. By the time he moves into the attack, his partner is on the ground and the opposing duo turn as one to face him. He wisely halts and contemplates his next move.

Initiative Move Order:

1. Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate)
    2. Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim)
    3. Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate)
    4. Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey)
    5. Sam the Squire (Nightbringer)
    6. Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King)
    7. Andras a zah nembol (Ignoramus)

Melee 1:
    Hahold: Lance/High +1 from Lance
    Junior King: Mace/Low +1 from Stance
    Advantages cancel each other out.
    Raw die Rolls: Hahold (4) Junior King (1,3)
    Hahold wins.
    Junior King is at or below 0 hps.

Orders were not received from Ignoramus.

Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King) 1 50 INJURED Mace
    Junior King Bokeny (phonicsmonkey) 2 50 OUT Mace
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) 1 51 INJURED Lance

Current Hexs:
    Bökény a Huntpaznan nembol (Mithridate) - 122
    Demeter az Aba nembol (Zim) - 48
    Sam the Squire (Nightbringer) - 103
    Bökény a Hahold nemböl (Mithridate) - 133
    Kerecse a Geregye nembol (The King - 135

Name:	tournround5.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	4844

Orders for Round 5 are due by 8:00 PM EDT on Sunday, March 25th. Remember to include combat stances (High, Medium, or Low).
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-25-2012 at 01:01.

The Junior King is helped from the arena - gathering his senses, he takes a seat by the ring to watch the rest of the melee, brushing off attempts to assist him out of his armour.

Bokeny observed as his adoptee grunt in pain and drops the knife, no longer able to grasp it with his numb fingers. The sleeve of his tabard slowly turning red from the blood seeping from the crush wound, dented armor clearly burying deep into his arm.

"Can you handle him?" He asked and gestured towards Keresce.

Hahold looked over his shoulder, giving a respectful nod to the Junior king as he met his eyes before responding.

"Aye, we should be a fair match both being crippled." Looking back at Bokeny with a grim smile
    "Give the bastard some proper regards from me, and we´ll meet in the middle."
    Last edited by Mithridate; 03-27-2012 at 23:02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast