Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

This will be my last TW:S2 story of the Sengoku Jidai.
    This is my first time writing a novel in English (which obviously is not my first language).
    Please pardon my broken English and enjoy!

Settings
    Clan: Uesugi
    Settings: Legendary, Domination
    Version: V5607
    DLC: Blood Pack, Ikko-Ikki, Hattori, Sengoku Jidai units
    MOD: none

Default Re: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

Characters (will be updated as the story progresses)

長尾景虎 Nagao Kagetora (later known as Uesugi Kenshin)
    Born in 1530. The second son of the Echigo Daimyo Nagao Tamekage (長尾為景). Named "Torachiyo (虎千代)" at birth, where "tora" (tiger) reflected that he was born in the zodiac year of tiger. His favorite novel is The Tale of Genji (源氏物語), a masterpiece depicting Japanese nobles' romance in the 11th century. Torachiyo was sent to Rizenji, the Forest Spring Temple, to become a monk between the age of 7 and 14. He was volunteered by the clan officers to assume the leadership of Echigo, as his elder brother Harukage proved to be a incompetent leader.

宇佐美乃美 Usami Nomi
    Born in 1530. Daughter of Usami Sadamitsu (宇佐美定滿 1489-1564), lord of Biwa Island Castle and a family officer of the Nagao clan. When Nomi was 7, she travelled to the great temple of Todai-ji in Nara, and took a sacred oath in front of the giant statue of Bishamonten (毘沙門天), the God of War.

長尾政景 Nagao Masakage
    Born in 1526. Leader of one of the prominent Nagao families. He married an elder sister of Uesugi Kenshin. When conflict arose between Uesugi Kenshin and his elder brother, Harukage, Masakage intended to side with the (quite incompetent) incumbent Harukage.

廬名夜也 Ashina Yaya
    Born in 1525. Daughter of the Ashina clan daimyo, Ashina Morikiyo (蘆名盛舜).

管家茂子 Maoko the Housekeeper
    Maltz's avatar in the story. As "子" (ko) is a typical girl's name in Japan, Maoko is a lady born in around 1510. She was a doula during Torachiyo's birth, and remains the nanny of Torachiyo until he becomes a monk in Rizenji (Forest Spring Temple) at 7. When Torachiyo assumes power at the age of 15 as Kagetora, Maoko is promoted from a maid to housekeeper due to her past ties with Kagetora.

Since the game's virtual world often makes abbreviations and mistakes, Maoko's primary job is to convince the characters that all nonsense actually make sense, and make the story more similar to the actual, more complicated world. As the executioner of commands, she gladly handles all trivial issues and decisions for the clan.

Selected secondary characters

長尾為景 Nagao Tamekage
    Born in 1489 (some sources say 1471). Daimyo of the Nagao clan, ruler of Echigo. In 1506, he succeeded his father as the Shogunate's Deputy Guardian of Echigo. Once forced to retreat to Etchu and Sado Island due to his military campaign against the weakening (actual) Guardian of Echigo, the Uesugi clan (not the same Uesugi family which Kenshin later adapts), he finally controlled Echigo in 1510.

長尾晴景 Nagao Harukage
    Born in 1509. Successor of the Nagao clan, ruler of Echigo since 1537. Famous for his poor health and irrelevant interests. As rebellions in Echigo were left unsuppressed, more and more family officers plot to replace him with his younger brother, the future Uesugi Kenshin.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

... And we're off again.
    I'll be following this as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Chapter 1. Clouds of Kasugayama Castle

Kasuga Mountain (yama) Castle is located, as you guessed, on top of the Kasuga mountain.
    Twenty years ago, the Nagao clan took control of Echigo. Since then, the Nagao family lived in the Kasuga Mountain castle.
    There is a waterfall behind the castle, accompanied by a little shrine, a bridge, which frequently spans a beautiful rainbow beneath.
    A few years ago, the daimyo Nagao Tamekage remodelled the castle to a perfect square shape.
    In the middle of the short walls was their humble two-storey house that people reportedly could not find the door in.
    People used to criticize the unimaginative design of the new look. They rather stare at the waterfall.
    But eventually they got used to it.

The Kasuga Mountain makes up the western rim of the Seki River (kawa) basin. Looking east, one can see dozens of miles of rice fields.
    In late winter or early spring, the morning fog could cover the entire Seki River basin. Then on top of the Kasuga mountain, there is a spectacular view of the "sea of cloud" beneath.
    The blue sky on top, the white clouds at the bottom, while the sea of cloud reflects the yellow and orange bits of the morning sun.
    People could temporarily forget their worries in the mundane world, and merge their mind with the tranquil and grand nature.
    And so goes the name of Kasuga, "spring sun".

February 18, 1530

Nagao Harukage: "Father, what a beautiful sea of cloud!"
    Nagao Tamekage: "Yes. This magnificence will all be yours one day."
    Harukage: "What's ..ficence? Is it related to defecation?"
    Tamekage: "You are 21 years old but speak like a 2! Where did you go when you skipped class?"

Tamekage gave his son's head a few solid knocks.

Midwife Maoko: "My lord, the baby is born! A boy!"
    Tamekate: "Wahaha. This one started kicking and punching in the womb. I knew it is a boy."

The midwife carried out the crying little baby, whose face look especially red under the morning sunshine.
    The baby's limbs are chubby. There is a thin layer of fine hair covering his shoulder and forehead.

Tamekage: "What a strong baby. What should I call him?"
    Midwife Maoko: "Madam suggests that since he was born on the Spring-Sun mountain, we call him Spring-Born."
    Tamekage: "MEH. There are already so many spring-born, autumn-born around. Only four options - too many with identical names. Hm, isn't this year the year of Tiger? How about Tiger(Tora) chiyo?"
    Maoko: "My lord, there are only 12 options. And you never heard of Dog-chiyo or Pig-chiyo..."
    Tamekage: " There is actually a Pig-shiro clan nearby. Who are you? How dare you challenge my authority? Guards! Push this midwife off the mountain!"
    Maoko: "My lord~ turn around and look!"
    Tamekage: "I won't fall for your childish trick!"
    Maoko: "No~ look quickly! It is beautiful!"

As Tamekage turned around, he was stunned by the view.
    A large cloud was making its way here from the Shinano mountains, with golden-orange rims and rainbow-color aura.
    As if it was accompanied by the chorus of angels, enchanted by the bells of the morning valley.

Tamekage: "I have never seen a cloud so beautiful..."
    Maoko: "I heard that when a god reincarnates to become a baby, he rides a beautiful cloud. This is probably it..."
    Tamekage: "Hm... what a sweet tongue. OK, you are forgiven. Come, cloud~"
    Harukage: "Come, cloud~"

By the calling and waving of the people on top of the Kasuga mountain, the golden color slowly approached...
    But suddenly, there comes a gust of powerful, chilling south wind!

"WOOOO----"

And the golden cloud was blown away to the northern sea.

Tamekage: "What a monsterous wind! Well, it looks like this god is not born into our family."
    Maoko: "Looks like the cloud is heading toward a little island on the sea..."

The midwife looked at the baby with a little sympathy and murmured.

"This is the sixteenth century and people still buy this crap, stupid baga..."

Chapter 2. Oath under Bishamonten

Built 700 years ago, Nara's Todaiji (東大寺) is a holy site of Japan's Buddhism. Faithfuls of different branches flock its hall.
    A giant gold statue of the Buddha is located in the middle of the Great-Buddha Hall.
    In the corners of the hall stood four tall stone statues of guardians, Tamonten, Zochoten, Jikokuten, and Komokuten.
    Each guardian was carved with skills and passion, frightening and humbling.

The greatest of the four guardians is Tamonten (多聞天), whose named derived from legends that he frequently attended Buddha's lessons.
    As Tamonten holds a treasury tower on his right hand, he was a "tower-holding" wealth-bringing guardian.
    When Buddhism subsequently spread to Japan, he became a god of warfare due to the halberd in his other hand.
    Tamonten is also called Bishamonten (毘沙門天), a direct sound translation from his original name in ancient India.

Maybe it does not matter whether people ask Bishamonten for wealth or victory - the faithfuls always cherry-pick the trivial incidences to confirm their faith.
    No wonder soldiers recruited in this area (Yamato) has better morale than the those from the rest of Japan.

July 19, 1537

This day, the meeting of destiny took place in Todaiji.

Nanny Maoko: "Young master, come and crawl through this hole under the pillar. You will grow smarter!"
    Nagao Torachiyo: "No way! What if I got stuck?"
    Nanny Maoko: "I crawled through it when I was 13! Young master is only 7 years old. It is safe~"
    Torachiyo: "I want to return to Echigo. I want to read Tale of Genji back in Kasugayama castle."
    Maoko: "Young master, Tale of Genji is a romantic novel. In this treacherous world, romantics cannot live for long... although they may have many children before dying."
    Torachiyo: "I want to go home! WAAAAAA~~~"

The summer cicada rub their wings on the tree; the little boy stamps his feet on the ground.
    While Torachiyo is throwing a tantrum on the floor, there is another child nearby, kneeling down in front of the statue of Tamonten, eyes shut.

"From today, I shall cleanse my mind and forgo my desires. I will take the burden of all misfortunes and sufferings, so I could relieve people from their miseries. Bishamonten, please have sympathy. Please enlighten me with your wisdom."

When the child finished her oath, she bowed down and knocked her forehead on the floor seven times, in front of the statue maybe 100 times of her size.

"What a serious oath!" Nanny Maoko thought. But when she turned around and looked at the source of the voice, she saw a little girl with her long hair curled on top of her head, wearing a full body of cherry pink. Why would a little girl come to Todaiji and make such an oath...

Maoko: "Oh wow! Isn't this Sir Usami?! What a coincidence to see you in Nara."
    Usami Sadamitsu: "Oh my. Isn't this young Torachiyo? Having a bad mood today?"
    Maoko: "Thanks for recognizing my existence..."
    Torachiyo: "Uncle Usami, I want to go home... Bring me home!"
    Maoko: "What a display of rudeness! Young master needs to control his temper."
    Usami Sadamitsu: "It is fine~ Oh, please let me introduce... this is my daughter, Nomi. Nomi, this is Torachiyo, the young son of Lord Tamekage, the Guardian of Echigo."
    Usami Nomi: "It is a pleasure to meet you."

Usami Nomi elegantly bowed down.
    Just like Torachiyo, Nomi also had two rows of tears under her dark watery eyes.
    Yet with her upright posture and confident smile, every move of Nomi gives a hint of magnificence.
    She feels 1000 times more mature than Torachiyo.

Maoko: "Are you a human being..."
    Torachiyo: "...er..."

Torachiyo's mind is lost as he stares at Usami Nomi.

Usami Sadamitsu: "Torachiyo, you are welcome to visit Biwa Island anytime."
    Maoko: "Ah... that would bring too much trouble for lord Usami."
    Usami Sadamitsu: "Not at all. I am the lord of the Biwa Island, a family officer of the Nagao clan. It would be my pleasure to take you on a tour of our humble tiny island just off the shore. So where is Torachiyo going next?"
    Maoko: "WE are heading to the Imperial Palace in Kyoto to meet up with Lord Tamekage, who is now having a Tea Ceremony with other daimyos."
    Usami Sadamitsu: "Oh... then there is no business for an uninvited family officer to stick around. Let's meet back in Echigo, then."
    Usami Nomi: "See you in Echigo."
    Maoko: "Bye~"

Nomi beamed the sweetest smile before she turned around. Just a few seconds later, the Usami father and daughter disappeard in the bright sunshine outside Todaiji.

Torachiyo: "Biwa island... Biwa island..."

Torachiyo was completely conquered by Nomi's smile. His mouth could not seal completely, as a thin string of saliva hangs all the way from his mouth to the floor.

Some photos to share. I took them myself when I travelled to Japan in 2008.

Todaiji, Nara.

Very big! One of the most famous temples in Japan.

Member thankful for this post:

Statue of Tamonten a.k.a. Bishamonten, inside Todaiji.
    Japanese God of War.
    Likely the biggest and best statue of Bishamonten in Japan.

There is a famous hole under one of the pillars in Todaiji. Kids crawl through it and "gain wisdom".
    This boy probably got stuck and panicked. I crawled through it when I went there the first time, 13 years old.
    When I took this picture I was 31. No doubt I would get stuck in the middle.

This is out of the story's sequence, but I have uploaded the first video.
    If you want to take a sneak peak here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6nAlyMdtg4

Chapter 3. Crisis of Nagao Clan

Rizenji, litearlly the Forest Spring Temple, stands humbly on the side of Kasuga mountain. The temple belongs to Soto, one of the major branches of Zen Buddhism. Originated in China's Jiangxi, the Soto branch stresses the value of meditation. Different from the Rinzai branch, which makes good connections with the Shogunate regime, the Soto branch is popular among the lower-class samurai (who compose the samurai army) and common folks.

Before ascending to the factual ruler of Echigo, the Nagao clan was originally lords of rural domains in the province. As a result, Nagao clan enjoys a close tie with Rizenji. Clan members often hold their conversion ceremony, weddings, and funerals in the temple. Youngsters of the clan also spend years in the temple to develop their knowledge and mind.

Torachiyo was sent to Rizenji at the age of 7 for his bizarre temper. Yet the decision was for his own good. This year (1937), his father, Nagao Tamekage, resigned from the Guardian of Echigo citing health-related issues. The rulership of Echigo was passed to his oldest son, Nagao Harukage. At the time it was common for an elder clan leader to retire before his life reaches the end, so their successor receives more on-the-job training. As Harukage assumes power, it was safe for Tochiachiyo, the alternative heir of the clan, to un-develop an interest in power.

Torachiyo was lucky to study under the famous monk, Tenshitsu Koiku (天室光育 not Ten Shit-su, but Ten Shi-tsu), the 6th master of Rizenji.

Nagao Tamekage held the actual power of Echigo until he finally passed away in 1943. He was buried in Nagao's family cemetery, not far behind Rizenji.

Yet Nagao Harukage does not possess leadership for Echigo. He frequently gets sick, and yet he demands plenty of entertainment from alcohol and women. These two things give rise to each other. Harukage somewhat held back when his father was alive, but now he spends no time ruling Echigo. Cases accumulate quickly - officers' disputes, landlords's demands, Ikko-Ikki's riots... nothing is resolved. The ruling of the Nagao Clan in Echigo quickly destablizes.

The clan's officers deeply worry. Then they recall there is an alternative heir in Rizenji - Torachiyo, who is 20 years younger than Harukage.

December 29, 1544

Torachiyo sits beside the window, silently stares outside.

Snow drizzles from the just-turned dark sky, quietly accumulates on Rizenji's roof tiles. Just like the external and internal pressures on Echigo - it accumulates silently, until the roof collapses.

Tenshitsu Koiku: "Torachiyo. Seven years have passed. You have learned much and did it quickly. Master thinks you should seriously consider the clan officer's plea. Today a few more visited us - you should see the worries on their face."

Torachiyo: "Master. Isn't it a good life to become a Zen master like you? Managing a temple and lives a quiet life."
    Koiku: "Ha. It is not that simple. Master has to worry about fundings. The application I submitted last year has not been approved - and we are now at the end of this fiscal year! The younger monks have to go out and ask for donated food. Hard work and frequent diarrhea."

Torachiyo: "So it is like what they say, my brother does not rule Echigo, but leech on it like a parasite?"
    Koiku: "Maybe those visiting clan officers did not receive salary themselves. Torachiyo, master has observed you for 7 years. You do not rest before finishing sweeping the end of the hallway. You feed the smaller and more timid squirrel with your own bread. You are a responsible, fair, and compassonate person. You will pay your officers on time and support your monks."

Torachiyo: "But betraying an elder brother is one of the worst offences..."
    Koiku: "There are many contradictions among principles: buddhist principles, confusian principles, job requirement, ethics, morality, faith... Life is a constant struggle and growth from learning and overcoming such contradictions. Did your father Tamekage not expel the Uesugi clan, Guardian of Echigo? When a regime needs to reform but does not realize it, and the replacement cannot come in place naturally, revolution is probably the only way."
    Torachiyo: "Hm..."

Torachiyo ponders his master's words. Suddenly, there was a loud series of bang on the gate.

"KOKOKOKOKO"

"Is Master Tenshitsu here? Is Torachiyo here?"

Torachiyo: "Hm, who is this?"
    Koiku: "There is a sign beside the door - visitor hours ends at 5 p.m."

The visitor came in by herself - a woman with some age.

Torachiyo: "Oh! Isn't this aunty Maoko?!"
    Maoko the maid: "Yes, young master Torachiyo! It has been 7 years! You have grown so much!"

The two hug each other tightly, with tears in their eyes. Maoko was Torachiyo's caregiver before he came to Rizenji. Maoko also helped during the birth of Torachiyo 14 years ago.

Maoko the maid: "There are soon going to be important guests from Kasuagayama castle! I am here to give you a heads-up so you do not go to bed too early tonight and miss an opportunity of history."
    Torachiyo: "What opportunity of history?"
    Maoko the maid: "You will see in a moment. First, please change to more formal clothes..."
    Koiku: "Do you mean our monk clothes look cheap? Why not approve our budget?!"

Chapter 4. Plots of Rizenji

Branches crack loudly as they burn in the furnace, but the fire does not warm up the coldness of minds. Plotting a coup does not make people passionate and enthusiastic.

The small hall of Rizenji is crowded with dozens of Nagao officers, from seniors to samurai and ashigaru captains. They sit squarely on the straw-woven tatami mats, forming a great circle in the middle. The late comers sit on the outer rim.

"Jimbo clan's army could attack at any moment."
    "Hojo, Imagawa, and Takeda could form a three-clan alliance. They will severely threaten Echigo."
    "Rumors said that the Ikkos had planned to expand east, toward Etchu and Echigo."
    "We cannot sit and wait any longer."
    "Torachiyo, please make up your mind!"

The clan officers urged Torachiyo to make the decision.

Torachiyo: "Thank you, every body."

Everybody holds their breath and awaits his next sentence.

Torachiyo: "The Nagao clan does require a capable leader. But Torachiyo does not qualify, for I am only a monk of Rizenji. I do not know how to rule Echigo. I do not know how to fight. I do not know how to lead an army. I cannot promise I can do any better than my elder brother. If a new leader is required, please elect another person among us."

"Lord Tamekage's cared about me. How can I do that?"
    "Echigo must be led by a member of the Nagao family!"
    "I cannot betray the Nagao family!"

Torachiyo: "You gentlemen push me to betray my elder brother, who has not harmed me in any way. If our army has no reason to attack, and the command has no ability to lead an army, how can we succeed?"

The clan officers turned their heads to look at each other. Maybe this young Nagao has no interset in contemporary politics.

"This is not a matter of ability, but responsibility!"

Suddenly, a clear and loud female voice reaches the hall from outside. Clan officers were shocked by such a determined tone from a woman - they searched for the source of the voice, only to see a young lady in her teens walking in.

Yet this young lady is tall and strong - she stares at Torachiyo's face like a gliding eagle. Nothing escapes her penetrating vision.

"If you have a responsibility to do good to this world, why would you care about the trivial blame of betraying an elder brother? Reputations are nothing more than mundane views! Do not bother with it!"

It is so quiet that people could hear each other breathing.

"The greatest generals and ministers are not born to be. They learn from experiences! From their helpers! What are you afraid of?"

The young lady walks all the way to Torachiyo, now standing right in front of him. She literally looks down on Torachiyo, like a heavenly deity descending upon the mortals of this transient world. Torachiyo is petrified.

"Er... this... I... you are..."
    "I am Usami Nomi, the daughter of the Lord of Biwa Island Castle. The Biwa Island Castle stands by Torachiyo!"
    "Oh... Hm... thanks, coming, Nomi, good..." Torachiyo's tongue is as flexible as a chunk of log; his mind is as functional as a slab of granite. He fails to utter a complete sentence.

Maoko the maid: "Ah... lady Nomi, I think youngmaster gets your point. Please take a seat. I have brought an important guest for young master..."

Just as Usami Nomi sits down, another samurai-looking man walks in. The clan officers recognizes him instantly.

"He is with us, too?"
    "We will succeed if he is on our side!"
    "This is great!"

Nagao Masakge: "Torachiyo, the Ueda Nagao family supports you."
    Torachiyo: "Cousin Masakage..."

The Nagao clan consists of three prominent Nagao families. Besides the ruling Nagao family (Sanjo Nagao) of Tamekage, Harukage, and Torachiyo, there are two others: Ueda Nagao and Koshi Nagao. The 18-year-old Nagao Masakage is the head of Ueda Nagao, the largest branch of the three.

Torachiyo: "Didn't Masakage use to support Harukage?"
    Nagao Masakage: "Please understand - as the leader of a large family, I have to maintain the unity and order of the clan. But there is only so much one can tolerate."

Masakage closes his eyes as he recalls a painful memory.

Masakage: "A few nights ago, after drinking too much wine, Harukage made an... inappropriate advances on your sister, Aya. Luckily I was able to stop him. But... there is no way that I can bear the dishonor under him."

"What an animal!"
    "How could he touch Sentouin..."

"Harukage lays fingers on his own sister..." Torachiyo tightly clenches his fists. He rarely feels rage in the past seven years.

Aya, usually respectfully referred to as Sentouin (the lady of deity peach), is Torachiyo's older sister, and Harukage's younger sister. She is married to Masakage.

Usami Nomi: "This scums is asking to be kicked out. We have Masakage's support! Since Koshi Nagao is already on Torachiyo's side, now we have obtained the overwhelming majority of Nagao. Let's do this!
    Masakage: "The sooner, the better. I know Masakage has gone to visit Kyoto's red-light district during the coming spring festival. There will be little resistance in Kasugayama Castle."
    Usami Nomi: "Take Kasugayama Castle!"

"Take Kasugayama Castle!" Officers yelled out loud with Usami Nomi.

Torachiyo: "But I am just a teenager... I have not passed the adulthood ceremony..."
    Tenshitsu Koiku: "Ah, the ceremony is a piece of cake. Reading scriptures, taking oaths, stamps on the certificate, thank you, come again. And then we do the ceremony of leaving monkhood. We can handle all of that within one morning. How about right here, the day after tomorrow?"
    Torachiyo: "I am sorry to leave Rizenji like this, and to trouble you, master."
    Koiku: "Don't mention it. Rizenji nowadays makes its living on handling these ceremonies. Wedding in the morning, divorce in the afternoon. Thank you, come again. Of course, your ceremony is on the house."
    Torachiyo: "Then I shall declare myself an adult when the new year comes. I will work with all of you for the future the Nagao clan!"

"Ah..." What a relief for the clan officers. The owed salaries...

Koiku: "Master has nurtured many youngsters of the Nagao clan, but you Torachiyo is the most warm-hearted. Remember, we do not need another warlord among the warring nations. Even the most prosperous clan could turn to dust in tens of years. What we need is a lighthose in the storm, a landmark above the fog. One day, the storm will pass, and the fog wil dissipate. One day, the virtues will return as people learn this is the best way. Master hopes Torachiyo will live out human's goodwill and hope. Do this for everybody, Torachiyo."

Torachiyo: "I will devote my life to this, master."

Koiku: "Good. Ah yes. What is going to be Torachiyo's name as an adult?"
    Masakage: [color=darkgreen]"The Echigo Nagao all have "Kage" in our names. We have Tamekage, Harukage, Masakage... and Torachiyo is a tiger (tora). How about Torakage?"

Koiku: [color=darkgreen]"Er... I know you are all busy at ruling Echigo, and do not have time studying boring ancient scriptures. Tora (虎) is tiger, a noun. Kage (景) in ancient Chinese means great, an adjective. Adjectives go before nouns. "Great Tiger" makes sense. "Tiger Great" is total nonsense."

Masakage: "Now I know skipping school leads to life-long embarassment..."
    Torachiyo: "Thank you, master and Masakage. Please call me Kagetora (景虎) from now on!"

Maoko the maid: "Luckily, none of us has met a French."

Finally, we begin the campaign.

I make a new attempt of using the largest unit size (Ultra).
    Regular Yari Ashigaru has 200 men per unit.

Here are a few goals of the camapign:

(1) Figure out tactics and an army composition that enbale me to fight 40 vs. 40 battles on Ultra, Legendary with reasonable effectiveness. Hopefully I can get away with my current memory and video card.

(2) Figure out a way to allow archers in the back to fire without "blocked line of sight". I only noticed this serious problem late in my last campaign. The AI could shoot at me, but I could not shoot at them. What's wrong? Further studies and experiments are required.

(3) Role-play Uesugi Kenshin! What would Kenshin do? Of course, in order to win the game, we still have to expand.

Let's look at Uesugi's specialty - Warrior Monks.
    The following four are of practical interests:

(1) Uesugi Bow Warrior Monks

Like the Ikko Bow Warrior Monks, they fire more accurately and more quickly (+5). Having the extra 25 range brings enormous flexibility on the battlefield. However, unlike Ikko, Uesugi's Bow Monks require level-2 archery tech (fire arrows). In this campaign I will rush for them as quickly as possible.

(2) Uesugi Marathon Monks

Identical to Ikko's Marathon Monks. After using them in my Ikko campaign, I realized that their extra speed and refresh ability (second wind) makes no difference, while their 75% unit size compared to regular Warrior Monks is a reminder of poor investment. However, there was one unexpected advantage of these poor DLC units - that their unit card has a very different color from other 3 monks (Naginata, Cavalry, Bow). So I could quickly spot their half-sized unit card in a 40 vs. 40 battle.

(3) Uesugi Naginata Warrior Monks

Very solid units. Identical to Ikko's Naginata Monks' stats, but cheaper to hire and feed. And of course better than the regular variety. War cries have a very small radius of effect and somehow tend to stop the charges, so I have learned to delay them after impact. Around 3 units per army (War cry on center + left + right = mass rout) is good enough and perfectly affordable.

(4) Warrior Nuns

The Ikko-Ikki clan pack DLC compensates the other clans with Warrior Nuns (Ikko cannot hire them). Too bad Uesugi does not have an improved variety of nuns; looks like an oversight of the DLC. The ladies fight even better than guys!

But I think this is a impractical unit. First, they do not have War Cry, which lowers enemy's morale and defence. These muggle nuns are not replacement for magic-capable male monks. Second, the nuns require the third level religious tech and traditional Buddhist temple. Traditional Buddhism clans has no need to research religious techs to level 3. So the nuns are merely a fancy addition of an already functional army.

But maybe I will probalby go for the ladies as I am just a shallow, testosterone driven male. Very clever, CA!

Chapter 5. Tohachi Bishamon Tenon

The coup took place during the wee hours of January 1, 1545. As Harutage was far away in Kyoto and clan officers loyal to him were mostly absent, Kagetora took Kasugayama Castle without any blood shed. People make wishes on New Year's day. Many wish to have Harukage replaced anyway.

Yet Harukage still has a few loyal captains. Besides, enemies of Echigo, such as Etchu's Jinbo Clan, cannot let go a perfect oppurtunity to split the Nagao Clan into two...

March 15, 1545

It has been years since Kagetora witnessed the "sea of cloud" on top of Kasuga mountain the last time. Just as fascinating as he remembered.

Maoko the housekeeeper: "My lord, Harukage's army has revealed themselves. They are marching toward the Kasugayama Castle! About 800 in strength."
    Nagao Masakage: "Darn, where did Harukage gather so many followers? We have pooled over all our strength and gathered only 800."
    Maoko the housekeeper: "Harukage wasted away most of the clan's savings. We had to disband most garrison soldiers."
    Nagao Masakage:

Nago Kagetora quietly looks at the fuming Masakage, his second-in-command by default. Yet managing finance is not a simple task. Can he do a better job than his brother? He does not even know where to start. But since the battle is imminent, maybe he should worry about finance later.

Kagetora: "So... it is finally the time to fight my brother."
    Usami Nomi: "A fighter's destiny belongs to the battlefield. I shall join the bodyguards and fight on the side of my lord!"
    Kagetora: "Thank you, Nomi. If you do not wish to be identified to be a woman, you can wear one of those full-face masks with fake white mostache..."

Kagetora lightly taps his almost overly polished armor hanging on the rack. This will be his first time to wear them. This will be his very first battle. A battle to decide his and his clan's fate.

Maoko: "Do you want more wax applied on the bamboo armor, my lord?"
    Kagetora: "Thanks, Maoko. I think we can save some wax for the candles..."

Masakage: "We can't wait anymore - the entire Echigo is waiting for our move. Kagetora, please announce the battle! We can reach Harukage in three days."
    Kagetora: "Sure. If we have no time to gather more men, we may as well end this sooner."
    Maoko: "My lord. What banners shall our soldiers bear?"
    Masakage: "Huh? Nagao banners, of course."
    Maoko: "My lord, our enemy is using Nagao banners, too. We will be unable to distinguish each other on the battlefield."
    Masakage: " That's true. Yet Harukage claims to be the rightful leader of Nagao Clan. If we use another banner, we acknoledge his claim. Our soldiers will feel like traitors and cannot fight properly. There is no other way. Maybe add a headband to distinguish friends and foes?"
    Nomi: "Actually, there IS another way."
    Masakage: "Huh?"
    Nomi: "Let's upgrade this battle to levels above! It is not a battle between brothers of the same clan, but a battle between the righteous and the treacherous, the promised and the cursed, the holy and the sinful! BANISH THE DAMNED SOULS TO THE EIGHTEENTH LEVEL OF HELL!"

Suddenly, Kagetora feels the ground quietly tremor. Earthquake is very common in Japan.

Masakage: "Sounds good. They may be Nagao, but the evil Nagao that is doomed to fail."
    Kagetora: "I just hope I can live up to the good guy's reputation. We just made a bad first impression... "
    Nomi: "Maoko, could you bring me a large brush, black cloth, and white paint?"
    Maoko: "Right away!"

Moments later, Kagetora and Masakage watch Nomi write seven foot-wide Kanji charcters on the black cloth. Her calligraphy is extermely powerful. The words seemed to be flowing with energy. Must have been years of practice.

刀八毘沙門天王
    Tohachi Bishamon Tenon

Kagetora: "What an instant masterpiece!"
    Masakage: "Wow! Could you design my living room?"
    Nomi: "Not interested."
    Masakage: "That was intended as a joke... anyway. Bishamonten is the God of War. If we claim to be Bishamonten, our enemies must be ghosts and monsters. Their fate is sealed."
    Nomi: "Indeed. Scums like Harukage can be crushed by a single finger."
    Kagetora: "But if we claim to be Bishamonten... won't Bishamonten get angry at us and deliver devine punishment?"
    Nomi: "Not if you act according to Bishamonten's way."

Nomi gave Kagetora's shoulder a few firm pats.

Masakage: "Good. Hm, it is a bit tedious if we write all seven words on each soldiers' banner. Only the top part is visible anyway. Let's just take one representative word, shall we?"
    Kagetora: "To (刀, knife), Hachi (八, eight), Sha (沙, sand), Mon (門, door), Ten (天, sky), On (王, king) are all common words. Bi (毘) is rare as it only appears in translations. Let's use Bi, then."
    Nomi: "I like it. Maoko, can you make 800 Bi banners in two days?"
    Maoko: "We do have enough artists to mimic Lady Nomi's work, but we are short of black cloth and white paint due to high demands from Chosokabe and Hattori... Does indigo cloth and red ink work?"
    Masakage: "Not enough contrast and bizarre taste... but good enough to be unique, I guess?"
    Kagetora: "This is my first a battle, and I already claim to be a God of War..."

Note:
    Tohachi: "Eight knives". Since Japanese took Bishamon as the God of War, in some sculptures the deity bears 8 knives in the back. Some also say this was a translation from ancient Chinese' pronunciation of Tibet (Tubo).
    Tenon: "Heavenly King". Each of the four guardians is a Tenon.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Fun read so far. I like it
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Thank you.

I hope international readers find old East Asian culture interesting. By the way, I just realized I have made a terrible typo for Echigo - the home province. Somehow I kept typing it as Ichigo. I probably get used to hearing Suzuki Ichiro (the baseball player). The corrections have been made for the story. But for the video episode 1 it is too late.

Nomi: "Kagetora, Harukage's army is waitng for us in Nagaoka's field."
    Masakage: "Hm... I wouldn't call it a field, more like hills. I guess Harukage wants to camp on one of the hills and lure us to attack."
    Kagetora: "Well, we are the ones who wants to end this as quickly as possible. We have to attack. We need a battle plan..."
    Nomi: "Few plans survive after seeing the battlefield. Kagetora, let's go and observe the terrain."
    Kagetora: "Hey, don't jsut go like that! You are one of my bodyguards!"
    Masakage: " It looks like Nomi actually enjoys battle. I thought this is her first battle as well? Kagetora, you and Nomi ride the cavalry to observe the terrain. I shall lead the infantry and catch up soon. Wait for me, yeah?"
    Kagetora: "Of course. How could I defeat my brother's 800 men with 39 bodyguards.

Back in Kasuagayama Castle, Maoko the housekeeper moniters the advance of Kagetora's army.

Maoko the housekeeper: "Yes, use fast cavalry to initiate the battle. This way, the infantry reinforcement would not move after the battle, and could therefore save some energy for more actions later in the season.

Nagaoka, Echigo. March 17, 1545

Kagetora rides with Nomi and other bodyguards to Nagaoka. It is a good spring day - sunny and mild. Although there is no cherry blossom here, the pine trees in Nagaoka are straight and tall - all season long.

Kagetora: "Nomi, what do you think about the terrain?"
    Nomi: "There are two hills populated with pine trees. Harukage must be hiding in one of them."
    Kagetora: "Which one do you think is more likely?"
    Nomi: "If Harukage knows military, he would rush over and take the larger hill on our side. There will be plenty of cover and flexibility."
    Kagetora: "That would be a problem for us."
    Nomi: "But I heard that Harukage knows nothing about military. He probably hides in the smaller hill, which is long and thin. He is pretty much stuck there. If he wants to hide his left, his units on the right get exposed. We can exploit that and defeat his units one by one."
    Kagetora: "Sounds good!"
    Nomi: "Let's show them the power of Bishamonten!"

Chapter 6. Mind preparation of a God of war

Kagetora: "Hm... this is so beautiful. Bird chirps, blooming wild flowers, and the morning's sun... "

Kagetora closes his eyes and enjoyed the brief moment of peace. He misses the quiet days in Rizenji. He would take some breads and walk into the forest. Sparrows would land on his hand, bold squirrel jump up to his shoulder...

Kagetora: "Life is like morning dew. We should cherish the moments of beauty."
    Nomi: "Kagetora! You are now on a battlefield! You should focus on fighting!"
    Kagetora: "Sorry!"
    Nomi: "Trees, fauna, clouds, colors, lights and shades, they are all decorations of the battlefield. Do not think of them. Your brain should be filled with tactics. Your mind should be filled with struggle!"
    Kagetora: "Yes! I shall concentrate! The beautiful scenary is like passing clouds!"

Kagetora prepares his mind. He takes slow, deep breaths. He closes his eyes.
    This world never changes for us, but we are the subject of change.
    Kagetora must change. Focus, focus, focus.

Kategora: "I think I am ready..."
    Kagetora opens his eyes."

"WHAT THE..."

When Kagetora opens his eyes again, he was so shocked that he almost fell off the steed.
    The beautiful clouds have been replaced by a grey and gloomy sky.
    The trees are blurred, the animals are gone.
    A terribly boring and depressing battlefield.

Nomi: "What's wrong?"
    Kagetora: "I am now focused on the battle... there is nothing interesting in the surroundings."
    Nomi: "Then you are on the right track. Beauty and Ugliness are distinguished by merely an idea. And if you save that mindpower to have NO idea about beauty and ugliness, you truly focus on the battle."
    Kagetora: "Rizenji should invite you to deliver guest speech after this. Let's wait for Masakage's reinforcement!"

(back in Kasugayama castle)
    Maoko the Housekeeper: "With such low settings on visuals, young master might be able to smoothly command a few huge battles."

(a few hours later...)

Masakage: "Thanks for waiting. I hope you enjoyed the wait - the sun has come out, and the spring breeze is a nice addition. I saw a few deer families on the way. Hey, nice polished armor. A little overdone if I may..."
    Kagetora: "Masakage, we have to concentrate on battle. We can enjoy the scenary afterward."
    Masakage: "Kagetora, you are right. I am very sorry. Today's battle decides the fate of the Nagao clan! My mind will be cleared of all irrelevant thoughts!"

So Masakage also closes his eyes...

Masakage is now 20. He cannot lose face in front of Kagetora, who is five years younger than him.
    He needs to focus. Today he will prove that he is a great general in the Nagao clan, worthy of being the leader of the second largest family in the clan.

Masakage: "I am ready. Kageto... MONSTER! WAAAA~~~"
    Kagetora: "Where is the monster?"
    Masakage: "You are not Kagetora! You are a monster pretending to be him! You may wear his armor, but you have no face!"
    Kagetora: "What are you talking about... of course I have a face."
    Masakage: "Hm... yeah. How can you talk if you don't have a mouth. But I do see no mouth on your face..."
    Kagetora: "Maybe you are a little too focused on battle... "

Nomi: "Kagetora, one cannot be too focused in battle. Ideally we see just the enemies - nothing else."
    Kagetora: "Sure!"
    Masakage: "So where is the enemy? Can you see them?"
    Kagetora: "I saw Harukage's men march onto the smaller hill."
    Masakage: "Yes. There are two units of Yari Ashigaru, one unit of Bow Ashigaru, one unit of Yari Samurai, and Harukage's Yari Cavalry."
    Kagetora: "Wow. You were not even here. How do you know?"
    Masakage: "Maoko the housekeeper passed me that information. "
    Nomi: "Even now I can see Harukage's Yari Cavalry in the forest. So his men must be nearby."
    Masakage: "Hiding on the hill with trees? That shows how confident Harukage is."

Kagetora: "Hm... so what should we do? Surround them and attack?"
    Masakage: "We don't have that many men to do that. The two armies are roughly equal in strength."
    Kagetora: "Sorry... any suggestions, Masakage?"
    Masakage: "Ideally, we draw them out - one at a time. Defeat each one with all our forces."
    Kagetora: "Brilliant!"
    Nomi: "Kagetora, did you not study military books in Rizenji? Divide and Conquer is the fundamental principle of all strategies and tactics. It is however up to the generals to figure out how to divide and conquer."
    Kagetora: "OK... how do we do that today, Masakage?"
    Masakage: "Maybe only Bishamonten knows... "
    Nomi: "We are too far away to make any practical plan. We should ride closer to figure out a practical plan."
    Kagetora: "Okay, Masakage, please stay here with infantry. We will call for your help if needed."
    Masakage: "Be careful, Yari Cavalry is extremely fast!"
    Nomi: "Harukage is probably drowned by the bird chirps in the deep forest as we speak. We will not wake him up."

As Kagetora rides with Nomi to scout on Harukage's hidden army, he cannot help but to wonder why Nomi knows so much about military.

Kagetora: "Nomi, this is also your first battle, but you seem to have witness hundreds of wars. Where did you learn about military?"
    Nomi: "My father is a famous strategist of Echigo. I study military literature during my free time. And sometimes I just know it."
    Kagetora: "My father vists me five times over the seven years I was in Rizenji. My master teaches me Zen Buddhism. I read romantic novel Tale of Genji in my free time, and no wonder I have no idea about military..."
    Nomi: "No worries. I am the same age as you. So by the time you are 30, you will know as least as much as me now. Likely a lot more."
    Kagetora: "You are also 15? Which day were you born?"
    Nomi: "February 18."
    Kagetora: "Me too! What a conincidence!"
    Nomi: "That was a good try, Kagetora. But I have taken my oath to Bishamonten. I have given up desires. Please find someone else."
    Kagetora: "But I was really born on February 18..."
    Nomi: "Sure, a conincidence. Wait!"
    Kagetora: "Huh?"
    Nomi: "There are units moving in the forest. Can you see them?"
    Kagetora: "Oh yeah!"
    Nomi: "With long, shiny spears. Yari Ashigaru."
    Kagetora: "I only see white dots..."

Kagetora and Nomi ride closer and closer to the hidden enemies...

Nomi: "Can you see them now, Kagetora?"
    Kagetora: "Yep... I can see them now. They are not really in hiding. "
    Nomi: "That's becasuse Harukage picked a narrow hill to hide, and rotated his men to face our infantry. That enables us to approach them from the side. Let's get closer."
    Kagetora: "We are already very close... Doesn't Harukage commands Yari Cavalry?"
    Nomi: "He is on the other side of the hill. And I doubt he knows we are here. Don't you want to draw some enemies out to defeat? This is a good chance."
    Kagetora: "How close should we go?"
    Nomi: "Close enough to make them think that they can get you. Can you see the white dots on the ashigaru's hat?"
    Kagetora: "Hm... no."
    Nomi: "Then we are not close enough. Keep going!"

Kagetora and Nomi ride even closer...

Kagetora: "Nomi. I can now count the number of ropes on the ashigaru's armor. But I still do not see the white dot on their hat...."
    Nomi: "Neither do I, strange. Oh yeah, the white dots faces the front. So we cannot see it from the back."
    Kagetora: "So we are getting too close?"
    Nomi: "Maybe. But they are not moving. How about this."

Suddenly, Nomi takes a deep breath and yells out loud!

"Lord Kagetora, watch out! Here are Harukage's men! If they discover us, we are in big trouble!"

Kagetora: "What you doing?!"

Harukage's ashigaru were shocked when they realize the enemy has circled to their back - and so close! And it is the enemy's daimyo!

Yari Ashigaru captain: "Don't let the chance slip away! Charge!"

Harukage's Yari Ashigaru turned around and raised their long spears! Approaching fast!

Kagetora: "They are coming! What do we do?"
    Nomi: "Divide and conquer. What do you think?"
    Kagetora: "Let's lead them back! Bodyguards, come with me!"
    Nomi: "Don't ride too fast! Give them some hope."

Haruakge's Yari Ashigaru are full of hopes. If they can defeat the enemy daimyo and take his head, they will be heavily rewarded. Money, land, woman, status as a samurai...
    Their target is only slightly ahead of them.
    They charged without thinking whether whether they will be supported.
    They chase, without knowing that they are heading into a giant trap.

Masakage: "Soldiers of Echigo, loyal followers of Nagao! The time has come to let blood stain your armors and blades! All four units of infantry - on my command! The enemy is hopeless! We deliver them to heaven! CHARGE! "
    Soldiers: "CHARGE!"

Nagao Ashigaru Cpatain: "We are blessed by Bishamonten! There is nothing to be afraid!"
    Ashigaru: "Kill them all!"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast