Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Herodotos wasn't very precise for land battles, in this case (or ever :P), apart for mentioning few casualties here and there...
    Karia is said to have lost 10.000 men (likely an exageration, counting all their fighting men) at Marsyas, but right after the battle, they were debating whether to flee Asia Minor or beg for mercy and join the Persians once again. So most likely that was their total force. Obviously not considering the "reserve" from enrolling the elders and maybe early teenagers, who later ambushed and killed Daurises.
    As for warships, I don't think they had any really, Rhodos was in control there.
    Miletos would've had 6 lochoi of 500 men, to keep in line with their fleet.
    Onesilos probably mustered at Salamis 10.000 infantry, 2.500 psiloi and 200 punic chariots (these had a driver and archer, so really movable platforms, nothing more).

Miletos should've 80 triremes. While Persia (that is Phoenicians, Egyptians, Cilicians and Cypriots, who didn't rebel or subdued) numbered 600 in the campaign and Phoenicia should've covered half of it. Considering that Kypros had losses, but most were defections, its number is somewhere in there. Maybe 100-150, since soon as the Ionians showed up, they warned that all their ships should go and fight the Phoenicians.
    The persian army had division units of 10.000 men, so maybe when Herodotos speaks of "two persian armies", "the third army", he could be simply speaking of the divisions. I tend to agree to this, considering that Artaphernes (the satrap of Sardis) would've been the commander for the operations and the various generals mentioned, would be leading each division. Otherwise a full army for each person would make several hundred of thousands of soldiers (not counting all the supporting men and women) for almost a decade in the Anatolia: unsustainable for the logistics and resources.
    300.000 might've been the total number of men available in the Persian Empire, considering every single ethnicity and in its geographical totality...

So I'd say that 40.000-50.000 in Asia Minor is already an incredible number for the Persians. And the ships available in the eastern Mediterranean, able to transport about half of it.

Think so :P

Three greek poleis, living under the persian yoke, squabbles during a campaign about the chain of command and a tyrrant fearing for his status, stirred a rebellion in the whole region. But without cooperation, they are doomed.
    And so the King of Kings sends three generals, to deal with these annoying rebels.

Will this escalade and involve more people, or will the deeds of these men be forgotten in the sands of time?
    Really what's puzzling you? :)
    meh maybe its just that it doesnt appeal to me as much so im trying to play dumb to get out of it XD

We do not sow.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Factions

Aristagoras of Milet was a tyrant placed by the Persians. He started the invasion of Naxos and failed. Naxos was prepared and the siege was too long, so he run out of money. Now he is in a desperate situation. Daurius does not like loosers. Aristagoras can expect to be banned or worse. He has only the chance to start rebellion to safe his own life or to flee to Greek. The chance for rebellion is not too bad. However, he has to raise the support of his own town Milet and turn it into a democrycy, now that he does not have the support from Persia. Then he has to get the other Ionian polis to side him. Then he has to convince the army (mercenaries, demoralized from Nexos) to follow him. Then he has to convince mainland Greece that Persia is an easy prey.

Cyprus - Can wait on his island for the right time to raise. Of course he wants to be free, but he has time to take his chances.

Caria - Pixodorus
    Similar. The Greek at Asia Minor are tired of Persian rule, esp. as trade lays down. However, they can decide if they want to side Milet and make a coup de surprise or wait how things develop.

Athens: Has troubles of his own. Just turned to democracy, which makes it difficult to rule. Most of the other Greek do not like that and esp. Sparta would like to reinstall kingdom at Athens. So Athens has to stay alert. Just began to build a fleet. Although they should like to support Ionians, they will only be able to send a couple of ships. This may chamge if the riot turns out to successful. Could get its own inntertia. More polis jumping on ...

Sparta:
    Has little to no interest to interfere at Asia. There is no trade interest, no colonies. Sparta wants to keep the leadership at Greece and end this unholy democracy thing. Of course if Persia should turn into an easy prey, why should Sparta not jump on this opportunity?

Persia:
    Difficulty for Persia is that the rebellion hasn't begun. Riots can pop up almost everywhere, so it is difficult to plan the operation, esp. as you do not know who is the enemy and who is the ally.

Of course the situation for the Greece is hopeless - just like it was for Alexander. It would take a genius at least ...

However, if there are not enough players, these thoughts are fruitless.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 03-19-2013 at 18:17.

Blog Entries

Well you know I'm in. Gimme Athens.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

i want to be sparte.

We do not sow.

In reality, Athens played a small role in this rebellion, Sparta none. You really want to play these?

Arjos wants to take either one Greek or one Persian faction, right.

Not enough to start. Noone interested in Milet?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Fanboys the lot of them, Athenai and Sparte or nothing lol

I can play Aristagoras if it gets things moving, really I'm ok with any faction ^^

We would need (at least) one to play Persia, too.

I see three options:

1) We wait for hordes of new and motivated players (we leost Swordsmaster, Rickinator, and some more on the way)

2) We turn the time, forget Ionians and jump straight into the Persian invasion of Greek homelamd. Factions: Athens (GB), Sparta (Shadow) and Persia (Arjos)

3) We are doing a one side game with the three of you (and anyone who wants to join) playing Aristagoras.

Anyway, I would like to play and have a nice and rather quick game instead of discussing the perfect game.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I'm still here. You can assign me a faction nobody wants.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    In reality, Athens played a small role in this rebellion, Sparta none. You really want to play these?
    What makes you think we want to play historically? First greek to Babylon gets first crack at the emperor's concubines. Woo!

...ok I'll be Cyprus, only if we don't get the needed players.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-21-2013 at 03:52.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

I think I could play in a new game, but I do not know much about this particular time frame. I also do not really want to be the "guys in the east" again... at least not alone. Is there more than one "faction" in Persia? Did Persia have any allies? I can check for myself, of course, just wondered.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    I think I could play in a new game, but I do not know much about this particular time frame. I also do not really want to be the "guys in the east" again... at least not alone. Is there more than one "faction" in Persia? Did Persia have any allies? I can check for myself, of course, just wondered.
    My intention was to share the Persians into several leaders. Let's see.

I think we should have at least 2 Ionian factions with Milet and Caria, maybe Cyprus and Helespont.
    We should also have two or three Persian leaders.

In the beginning of the game, Milet will have the innitiative and the biggest navy. It will have to use both to survive.
    Caria, Cyprus and Helespont are weak, but can choose the right time to join rebellion.

The Persians will have strong armies, but in the beginning they will have to react and they lack of ships.

Having five players (GB, Shadow, Arjos, Rickinator and Kival) I suggest to have three Greek factions and two persians.
    My proposal is:

Shadow - Milet
    Greyblades - Cyprus
    Kival - Caria

Arjos and Rickinator play Persia.

Should anybody else want to join, we can extend this.

Is this alright to you?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

I have no problem with that, as long as everyone is ok with their faction, I think we can get this started ^^

Blog Entries

Eh sure.

am i Shadow? XD

We do not sow.

Sorry, stranger i mean

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Oh, if Arjos is Persia, too, and I don't have to be the guy in the east alone, I'll happily join him. But I'm fine with the faction you assigned me, too.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

fine lets start!

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I'm fine with being a persian
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Get ready. Game is going to start this weekend.

Blog Entries

Yay.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789