Thread: Considerations

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Considerations

From my recent clash with Greyblades who really doesn't deserves one really.

http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/2011...ch-directness/

Is it just me or are there just too much of us.
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-13-2014 at 14:27.

Default Re: Considerations

So you're not dutch then?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

Huh. So he actually is able to provide a contextual source when starting a thread... wait if the duch are supposedly direct how come this is the first time it's happening?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Huh. So he actually is able to provide a contextual source when starting a thread... wait if the duch are supposedly direct how come this is the first time it's happening?
    It doesn't really matter what you think, I am more interested in the opinion of the other members.

Blog Entries

Then answer husar's question, which I realised too late brilliantly encapsulated my own point in 5 words.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 11-13-2014 at 17:38.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I suppose it somehow makes sense asking me

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Oh, my God. Besides American exceptionalism, I now have to deal with Dutch exceptionalism?!

Ridiculous! Especially as everybody knows there is only Serbian exceptionalism.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Serbia greatest country in the world. Serbia doctors greatest in the world. if you scream at least you know you are still alive.

This entire thing about the Dutch being direct or blunt is nonsense, by the way. No more so than the Danes or the Finns. Additionally, the Dutch are also supposedly known for their tolerance. I have no idea how the two fit together.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Calling the Dutch tolerant is like marrying a Stephord wife.

Experiment for foreigners visiting the Netherlands, tell the friendly guy that gives you directions actually live here, and watch the mood changing.
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-13-2014 at 20:22.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Calling the Dutch tolerant is like marrying a Stephord wife.
    Steppe Hordes aren't really known for their tolerance.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Steppe Hordes aren't really known for their tolerance.
    Know your classics http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives

Edit: oh lol you got me

I've got a dutch kid in my class. Politest kid I've ever known, it's like an upper-class brit on steroids. Extremely sensitive as to which words he should use in a given situation. He has slipped up a couple of times over the years, and I've rarely seen a kid get so embarrassed.

It's not a dutch thing; it's just Frags being a dick.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

People who throw out the line "I'm brutally honest" are really saying "I lack empathy and situation awareness".

It's why I don't fret when I make fun of HoreTore, he's thick skinned and can take a pounding. Sort of like my first wife.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The stereotype is not diminished by their footballers...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (3):

Tosa was dutch. Thread has failed and needs a nap.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 11-14-2014 at 14:25.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Tosa is dead and a nap isn't going to help him all that much as he's not going to wake up without any maggots chewing his eyeballs (rest in peace Tooske) topic can take a nap and wake up any time. I find perceptions on Dutch culture rather interesting when it comes from people who are new to it, I never notice it when I am being rude really. I know I can be but I never intend to be.

Tooske was really nice by the way, sometimes wondered if he actually was a living person. When I had a family member dying he was really nice, never knew he was ill himself untill I heard he passed away.
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-14-2014 at 17:03.

Tosa is dead and a nap isn't going to help him all that much as he's not going to wake up without any maggots chewing his eyeballs (rest in peace Tooske) topic can take a nap and wake up any time. I find perceptions on Dutch culture rather interesting when it comes from people who are new to it, I never notice it when I am being rude really. I know I can be but I never intend to be.

Tooske was really nice by the way, sometimes wondered if he actually was a living person. When I had a family member dying he was really nice, never knew he was ill himself untill I heard he passed away.
    Me thinks you are somewhat mixing up culture of Fragony and the Dutch. Generalizations do not work that well when applied to Nations. Humans are after all individuals.

Some individuals are more perceptive towards feelings of others, some are less. Maybe you apply most of your consideration towards your cats, rather then people.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I am perfectly fine at interacting. Do really like my cats though. Some generalisations can be made, as it is an ever returning trait that is being pointed out by foreigners who come here. They can't all be wrong if they mostly say the same thing, and have the same problems dealing with it. Bit of introspection is never a bad thing. I think that we are in general harsher and less considerate as a whole, not just me. You read the text in the first post, it isn't something I havent't read before, and I know from experience with working with expats that it's not such an unusual sentiment. Dutch people who have worked outside of the Netherlands notice it as well once they get back.

Fragony, you're not cold or rude, you may seem so at times but that is because you are often not very clear (or direct) in your posts, whioch usually require varying levels of deciphering as you can apparently not be bothered to present coherent thoughts. It's more like a mixture of soundbytes, associations noone can follow (something about ferrets...) and ill-conceived, badly-explained conclusions. I don't think you're stupid, but you do come off as incredibly lazy and often you seem to read other peoples' posts in the same sloppy manner as you write your own. That then leads to misunderstandings, repetitions, other people getting tired as well and so on.

IIRC there were even cases where you and others essentially said the same thing, yet the misunderstandings led to a large debate over what seemed essentially to be the same point on both sides. The big problem is apparently that you expect others to do all the work in a debate and see no reason to consider their points. One problem with that is that you never question your own thoughts even when you are wrong. I'm sure you are capable of doing that but apparently you just can't be bothered. It's a shame because you can also be really likeable and funny, yet you decide to be some kind of cryptic immovable wall in every debate and that is not helping anyone.

Maybe that's a better analysis than a one-liner.
    Maybe it's too direct or rude, but that's not the intention (remember, I'm a German, I cannot into sophisticated language).

It's nonsense that I never question my thought or change my mind but alas, this isn't about me but in general. It's fun looking at your culture from the eyes of a foreigner. There are many hilarious articles there with a huge 'ooops, yes guilty'.

It's nonsense that I never question my thought or change my mind but alas, this isn't about me but in general. It's fun looking at your culture from the eyes of a foreigner. There are many hilarious articles there with a huge 'ooops, yes guilty'.
    Yes, shouldn't have said never, but I knew when I wrote more than two sentences, there had to be some oversight in there as it's hard to consider all of your 25k+ posts at the same time. There are actually 5 or maybe more where you did change your mind.
    And 10k or so where you ignore the other side's argument and repeat what you said before.

Can't really reckognise myself in that, I always consider other people's arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Maybe it's too direct or rude, but that's not the intention (remember, I'm a German, I cannot into sophisticated language).
    IIRC you said you were half dutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    IIRC you said you were half dutch.
    That never matters when people tell me I'm not funny.
    Although I do sometimes think that Fragony is the annoying uncle of mine whom I love anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    That never matters when people tell me I'm not funny.
    Although I do sometimes think that Fragony is the annoying uncle of mine whom I love anyway.
    It matters: if you are half dutch you are half rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...