Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Hi guys,

as some of you might know, i've been enrolled as the EB team's liaison (secretary sounds girly :S), and as you might assume my work will basically be to be a link between the fans and the EB developers; one way i'd like to achieve this, is to open this suggestion thread, where fans can give their suggestion on improving the mod.

So feel free to give your suggestions in this thread; i'll be happy to read through them and forward them to the team members responsible for that part of the game; while these won't be in the next release, good ones will have a good chance of being implemented in the future, if of course we will have the manpower and time to actually make them work. Unfortunately sometimes an idea can be really good, but it would take too much time for too small results.

Ok, so please post your suggestions and ideas in this thread;

Regards,

Anubis
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Members thankful for this post (3):

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Hi guys,

as some of you might know, i've been enrolled as the EB team's liaison (secretary sounds girly :S), and as you might assume my work will basically be to be a link between the fans and the EB developers; one way i'd like to achieve this, is to open this suggestion thread, where fans can give their suggestion on improving the mod.

So feel free to give your suggestions in this thread; i'll be happy to read through them and forward them to the team members responsible for that part of the game; while these won't be in the next release, good ones will have a good chance of being implemented in the future, if of course we will have the manpower and time to actually make them work. Unfortunately sometimes an idea can be really good, but it would take too much time for too small results.

Ok, so please post your suggestions and ideas in this thread;

Regards,

Anubis
    Thanks for putting up this thread, please allow me to begin my 'nagging' right away. :p

*Perhaps this thread could be stickied?
    *Perhaps a similar thread could be opened over at the TWC?
    *I'm not sure if it's realistic (or even possible), but I'd like to suggest giving cavalry armed with lances and swords (or axes, maces etc.) an animation that allows them to attack other units in front of them once they have engaged said unit with their melee weapons. This because they're currently at a huge disadvantage against cavalry armed with spears, since those can attack an opponent directly in front of them, whereas the sword-armed cavalry can't strike back, leading to such situations as the early Roman equites beating the much heavier Carthiginian noble cavalry in a protracted melee.
    *Creating the government option of an allied (and closely allied) monarchy, adding to the options of the allied democracy and oligarchy. This to demonstrate for example the allied/client kingdom the Romans backed in Thrace in the late first century B.C. / early first century A.D. If such an option is already available in the game and I've simply missed it, I hereby apologize.

Again, thanks for putting this up and I hope we get to see some interesting ideas posted here in the near future. :)
    Last edited by Adalingum; 05-02-2015 at 19:28.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Stickied.

And what's girly about the term "Secretary?". e.g. Secretery General of the xxxx Party.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Members thankful for this post (2):

@Adalingum

See, those are all relevant ideas that i'll definetly talk to the guys about. I will open a thread on TWC tommorow; i'm at a different computer and i don't remember the login :D.
    @Brennus

Secretary of defence might work too :D But yeah i don't care what i'm called. As long as it's not expected of me to have an affair with my boss :D

Just something small
    If you receive a colonization point (for building a polis or colonization building) you get a message that you can build a polis or colonization building but if you can not build one you get that message every turn which is very annoying. It would be great if this could be changed to a single message when you earn the colonization point.

Keep up the good work

Hi people! I have a suggestion and a request,

First of all, I don't know if this will be achievable at all: Would it be possible to have an emergent message, just like that one from "faction announcements", that informs the player of earning a colony point, or some other mechanic like that? I find annoying that this message from the advisor do not appear for some factions, as the A.S.

Relating to the culture conversion bonus, I've observed that the message in the building description (1% culture conversion bonus) only appears in winter, is this intentional? Can you offer some kind of guide to fully understand those strange mechanics? I understand that clerics are inaccurate, but some light over this matter would be great. My reference buildings are: "KATOIKIAI LAON" and "PHROURIOI LAON".

EDIT: Oh, and other thing I have noticed, the first TIER of farming, brings "Forest Tribal Culture" conversion bonus, is this intentional?

Sorry if I'm not clear with my message, if something is wrong I'll do my best to explain what I meant, thanks team!
    Last edited by Saigrin; 05-04-2015 at 19:51. Reason: Pointing culture conversion problems

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farm.jpg 
Views:	2273 
Size:	619.0 KB 
ID:	15301

It's a screenshot to show what I meant in my last edit

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

I think that cultural conversion is due to Galatia belonging to the Aruernoi...

Iirc neighbouring provinces are part of the equation...

Member thankful for this post:

But then appear two more questions, Aruernoi in Galatia are a relatively recent event, and they are European Tribal States, if I'm right.

Thanks anyway
    Last edited by Saigrin; 05-04-2015 at 21:22.

Will point it out to coders and scripters, they definitely know more on this than me :)

Maybe the Aruernoi built something that increases Forest Tribalism, or they aren't the cause at all XD

My suggestion is actually different from others:

The EB team has made recently a very good move of hiring a secretery, it will definitely make the contact with fans easier. But I believe there is another position that should be created and manned and this is:

A RECRUITER - a person (or best 2 or 3 persons) that will post from time to time on every: 1. mod-related, 2. history-related 3. total-war related 4. skinning and modelling-related 5. histrorical paintings-related website. I mean like really from time to time which means regulary. I believe that only in this way enough volunteers may be found to still polish this beautiful mod. Maybe actions like this are already undertaken by the team, I do not know, but regular search on numerous Internet forums and websites just have to end with finding of dedicated modders. Not all people visit org and tw. Maybe there are people out there who would make a great contribution but do not even know yet that the EB exists? Maybe the posts that have already been posted are too old for people to notice? In other words it would be great if EB team team created a small unit just for recruting purposes and let them work for 3 or 4 months - I believe the results would be great
    My girlfriend plays EB (plus she is hottie). I won the universe.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

If you can suggest such sites I believe this is already one of Anubis' tasks. The problem is finding relevant sites.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmahurin View Post
    If you can suggest such sites I believe this is already one of Anubis' tasks. The problem is finding relevant sites.
    Precisely. It's very hard to find free help. If you'd pay them, you'd get 1000 people in day :D. But that's something the community can also help on its own; if you know of any such sites, please feel free to post them here, and i'll make an official EB request for help :)

They call me Flavius Member Belisarius II's Avatar

One suggestion I have for a future update is possibly to make the colors of the factions' territory on the minimap darker or more saturated. Many of the factions like the Seleucids have light colors and are difficult to differentiate from rebel territories on the minimap and sometimes from each other.
    "Possunt quia posse videntur." - Virgil - "They can because they think they can."

i started to notice this during my latest KH campain.
    many ai missile units keep shooting their missiles when engaged in melee combat even against other units than the one thy are currently in melee combat with. This mostly end u with heavy cassulties for the receiving unit.
    this wouldn't bother me if my own units could do this to but it seems only the ai can

maybe something to look into?

I will try to search for such sites then! IT will be difficult for me as I work 12 hours a Day but still I will do what I van. I believe more people should be involved in this. Do you mind if I open another thread for this on tw ?
    My girlfriend plays EB (plus she is hottie). I won the universe.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius II View Post
    One suggestion I have for a future update is possibly to make the colors of the factions' territory on the minimap darker or more saturated. Many of the factions like the Seleucids have light colors and are difficult to differentiate from rebel territories on the minimap and sometimes from each other.
    This is something I've raised already, white in particular is a bad colour to use.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

*same post as on TWC

Many personal sugestions have already been posted or they are long term objectives so not going to insist on those.

Hoever I wonder if there are possible the folowing tweakings of the strategy map UI that will improve a bit the control the player has it over its expansion/progress:

Radar Map
    -adding better contrasting colour shades between some factions (ex Epeiros-Macedon)or/and
    -adding subtle region borders

Faction Ranking Scroll
    -adding better contrasting colour shades between factions chart lines or/and
    -make the lines a bit thiker so the colour be more visible (I know it can get crowded that why I said "a bit")
    -faction symbols are not highlighted enough/equally when selected so you cant easily tell which are the ones displayed on the chart and which are not (combined with the colour problem this is a bit distressfull)

Quote Originally Posted by Rien View Post
    i started to notice this during my latest KH campain.
    many ai missile units keep shooting their missiles when engaged in melee combat even against other units than the one thy are currently in melee combat with. This mostly end u with heavy cassulties for the receiving unit.
    this wouldn't bother me if my own units could do this to but it seems only the ai can

maybe something to look into?
    This would be something to report in the bug threads

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    *same post as on TWC

Many personal sugestions have already been posted or they are long term objectives so not going to insist on those.

Hoever I wonder if there are possible the folowing tweakings of the strategy map UI that will improve a bit the control the player has it over its expansion/progress:

Radar Map
    -adding better contrasting colour shades between some factions (ex Epeiros-Macedon)or/and
    -adding subtle region borders

Faction Ranking Scroll
    -adding better contrasting colour shades between factions chart lines or/and
    -make the lines a bit thiker so the colour be more visible (I know it can get crowded that why I said "a bit")
    -faction symbols are not highlighted enough/equally when selected so you cant easily tell which are the ones displayed on the chart and which are not (combined with the colour problem this is a bit distressfull)

We are actually talking about changing faction colors, though mostly just talking. I believe AS and Ptolemaioi as well as the rebel color will be changed in the future but others we are still trying to decide what would make sense, with a bias towards colors that actually reflect some aspect of that faction. Thus if you have any suggestions feel free to advise.

Gisgo Governer of Ippone Member madmatg's Avatar

For attuned governor... With romans when I send my guy back to Rome for elections he loses this trait then gets it back only to lose it again when he goes back for elections, ant chance you could change the switch to lose it to two turns outside the city? Then he could go back for elections and come back the next season and not lose his governor abilities?

Phil 2:9-11 Phil 4:4

@josh mahurin Where can I find the faction color codes that are displayed on the radar map?

@QuintusSertorius would know better than me I believe :P

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

They're all in the data\descr_sm_factions.txt
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Something I thought of since the Jewish spearmen have recently been previewed: is there a chance we could see a Maccabean or Judean revolt script in future releases? I'm not too familiar with modding Total War games, but here's what I thought of:

You could perhaps do something like create a script that increases unrest in the province Judea is included in (don't remember exactly which one it is atm) for certain levels of the 'Hellenistic Polities' 'religion' for as long as the Second Temple remains standing as a unique building, to simulate the tensions between hellenizing and traditional Jews at the time, with several rebel units spawning should public order drop below a certain threshold. Whereas destroying the temple could trigger another scripted revolt of several units, both to deny the player an easy way out the situation and to simulate that likely a lot of people would be pissed off if their most sacred site would just be desecrated like that. Finally the script could perhaps keep track of a counter which documents for how long it has been active, with tensions dropping and public order increasing once more after a few decades have passed, to reward the player for his/her provincial management and to simulate that a modus vivendi has been found between the hellenised and traditional factions. Something similar could possibly be implimented for the Roman faction (through Western Mediterranean Polities and the requirement of it firing only for the Romans), though the Roman-Jewish wars were largely outside of EB II's time-frame IIRC.

I'm not entirely sure how realistic or historical this idea would be or even if it's possible to script something like this. Also, my apologies if something similar is already (planned to be) accounted for in EB II. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

P.S. I used the term 'Judea' for the area because I'd like to avoid the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict in this matter. Please don't think I'm suggesting this out of pro-Israeli sentiments or something, I just wanted to propose an idea which I think would be beneficial to the historical feel and gameplay of EB II (managing a real, divided population, rather than simple numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by Adalingum View Post
    Something I thought of since the Jewish spearmen have recently been previewed: is there a chance we could see a Maccabean or Judean revolt script in future releases? I'm not too familiar with modding Total War games, but here's what I thought of:

You could perhaps do something like create a script that increases unrest in the province Judea is included in (don't remember exactly which one it is atm) for certain levels of the 'Hellenistic Polities' 'religion' for as long as the Second Temple remains standing as a unique building, to simulate the tensions between hellenizing and traditional Jews at the time, with several rebel units spawning should public order drop below a certain threshold. Whereas destroying the temple could trigger another scripted revolt of several units, both to deny the player an easy way out the situation and to simulate that likely a lot of people would be pissed off if their most sacred site would just be desecrated like that. Finally the script could perhaps keep track of a counter which documents for how long it has been active, with tensions dropping and public order increasing once more after a few decades have passed, to reward the player for his/her provincial management and to simulate that a modus vivendi has been found between the hellenised and traditional factions. Something similar could possibly be implimented for the Roman faction (through Western Mediterranean Polities and the requirement of it firing only for the Romans), though the Roman-Jewish wars were largely outside of EB II's time-frame IIRC.

I'm not entirely sure how realistic or historical this idea would be or even if it's possible to script something like this. Also, my apologies if something similar is already (planned to be) accounted for in EB II. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

P.S. I used the term 'Judea' for the area because I'd like to avoid the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict in this matter. Please don't think I'm suggesting this out of pro-Israeli sentiments or something, I just wanted to propose an idea which I think would be beneficial to the historical feel and gameplay of EB II (managing a real, divided population, rather than simple numbers).
    Problem with this is that it would single out this rebelion, which was just one of many. You could argue almost every part of the map had seen a rebelion in our timeframe; the maccabean revolt was just one of them. Rebellions were prone everywhere, not just in judaea. Sure it was more drastic when religions were changed, but again this didn't just happen there.

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Problem with this is that it would single out this rebelion, which was just one of many. You could argue almost every part of the map had seen a rebelion in our timeframe; the maccabean revolt was just one of them. Rebellions were prone everywhere, not just in judaea. Sure it was more drastic when religions were changed, but again this didn't just happen there.
    Fair enough, it was just a suggestion. That said, I remember something being posted or mentioned about an 'Arvernian Revolt' event way way back. Wouldn't that be equally in violation of your argument above?

Just my thoughts on this: the problem there is that rebel units spawning (therefore acting against the polity in power) makes little sense. Those tensions resulted in killings among the Jewish communities and not against Hellenistic citizens, or even coordinated actions against the power in place...

The Maccabean Revolt happened because the Hellenising faction thought held enough power to implement reforms and acting as local representatives informed the Seleukid Basileus that these could/should be enacted...
    Even when this revolt took place, again iirc, most of the violence was directed at other Jews, in order to terrorise them into not siding with the Seleukidai, while of course what forces were mustered fought the armies sent to end the rebellion...

However this resulted from a very specific combination of events, overall in the general religious freedom of the Hellenistic period, especially under the Seleukidai, also keeping in mind as I said that those tensions were of an internal factional nature, I think that script wouldn't be as accurate...

Already the destruction of temples cause the loss of public happiness, making a unique building solely in Ioudaia would be rather arbitrary (any community would revolt whenever sacred grounds would be violated and temples destroyed). I suppose that considering the Zeus temple in Syria kai Phoinike as the temple to Zeus Ouranios already works along those lines...

Then of course, a sub-mod, or scripts for historical revolts could be definitely a possibility. Unfortunately lacking slots for emerging factions, some of these would just be Eleutheroi armies running around and taking at best one settlement...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-20-2015 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalingum View Post
    Fair enough, it was just a suggestion. That said, I remember something being posted or mentioned about an 'Arvernian Revolt' event way way back. Wouldn't that be equally in violation of your argument above?
    If you are referring to the revolts of Celtic tribes in Northern Italy then I would say they make far more sense because they are involving two separate defined factions, the Roman aggressors and the defending Arverni/Boii/Aedui, so while they are starting as rebel settlements the scripted event gives an opportunity for them to be annexed by a specific faction. We don't have a Jewish faction for Judea to revolt to, even if Arjos' well explained point wasn't the case. So historically and from a game play perspective it makes less sense. Not to say we couldn't eventually figure out something to simulate this but it is a low low priority if you understand. Your suggestion is appreciated for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Just my thoughts on this: the problem there is that rebel units spawning (therefore acting against the polity in power) makes little sense. Those tensions resulted in killings among the Jewish communities and not against Hellenistic citizens, or even coordinated actions against the power in place...

The Maccabean Revolt happened because the Hellenising faction thought held enough power to implement reforms and acting as local representatives informed the Seleukid Basileus that these could/should be enacted...
    Even when this revolt took place, again iirc, most of the violence was directed at other Jews, in order to terrorise them into not siding with the Seleukidai, while of course what forces were mustered fought the armies sent to end the rebellion...

However this resulted from a very specific combination of events, overall in the general religious freedom of the Hellenistic period, especially under the Seleukidai, also keeping in mind as I said that those tensions were of an internal factional nature, I think that script wouldn't be as accurate...

Already the destruction of temples cause the loss of public happiness, making a unique building solely in Ioudaia would be rather arbitrary (any community would revolt whenever sacred grounds would be violated and temples destroyed). I suppose that considering the Zeus temple in Syria kai Phoinike as the temple to Zeus Ouranios already works along those lines...

Then of course, a sub-mod, or scripts for historical revolts could be definitely a possibility. Unfortunately lacking slots for emerging factions, some of these would just be Eleutheroi armies running around and taking at best one settlement...
    I remember there being a unique building for the Second Temple, which is was I was referring to. Could be something that was in EB I that didn't get carried over in EB II though. Anyway, thanks for your explanation, I now understand why my suggestion wasn't as great as I made it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmahurin View Post
    If you are referring to the revolts of Celtic tribes in Northern Italy then I would say they make far more sense because they are involving two separate defined factions, the Roman aggressors and the defending Arverni/Boii/Aedui, so while they are starting as rebel settlements the scripted event gives an opportunity for them to be annexed by a specific faction. We don't have a Jewish faction for Judea to revolt to, even if Arjos' well explained point wasn't the case. So historically and from a game play perspective it makes less sense. Not to say we couldn't eventually figure out something to simulate this but it is a low low priority if you understand. Your suggestion is appreciated for sure.
    I was referring to a term that was used on these forums a few months or even years ago. I'm not sure what it referred to, so it might indeed be what you described. And yes I understand it's low priority, but I thought I might suggest it anyway.

Anyway, I rest my case. You guys have made your point abundantly clear. Thanks for that. I hope you didn't mind my ramblings.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast