Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2235

Thread: Pirate Ship Mafia III [Concluded]

Default Re: Pirate Ship Mafia III [Concluded]

I think the core of the balance problem is that the townies control all deaths. In a normal mafia game, the townies mandate the lynch, but the mafia use the nightkill for their own nefarious ends; in the Pirate Ship games (and group-action type games in general) the townies still control the lynch, but they also control the nightkills. The captain and officers are basically untouchable if they avoid suspicion, which is very often going to be the case, making them unstoppable mafia destroying machines. The mafia had no way to neutralize Visorslash here, and his ability to go unchecked was a huge burden to them (see also: mafia being unable to counter me in II). Maybe this is mitigated if a mafioso manages to get into an officer position (or even the captaincy), but that's unlikely, and unfair to hinge such a pivotal swing on the (low) probability of that happening.

This means that the mafia are a a big disadvantage in battles of attrition, which mafia is most of the time. The town only needs to eliminate three people, and they control the lynch and all of the kills. Any person's efforts to counteract a kill will naturally look suspicious (see the block stopping the spaceman kill) because one mafia dying is a huge blow, while one townie dying is negligible.

This might be mitigated by recruitment, where the mafia can win by attrition by rivaling the town in sheer force of numbers, but conversion availability and success is quite limited, and they don't count as full members anyway and can be safely ignored by the town (as in this game I said, rather blatantly, that I did not care about finding recruits and was not going to even try to do so). The mafia are thus caught in the awkward position of not having the advantages of a conventional mafia team (reliable kills) or a cult (power in numbers).

The scum need a boost in one direction - they need to become better at killing or better at recruiting in order to stand a chance of defeating the town. It might even be worth considering including two such factions, which could potentially force the town to keep the mafia around as a counterbalance against the cult, though this would really only work with a much larger game. As it stands, the mafia don't have a clear path to victory - a short game means they can't eliminate the townies in time, and a long game means the original members can't survive long enough.

Potential solutions that I suggest to help the mafia survive the attrition game:

- Keep recruitment in its limited form seen here, in that not very people are susceptible and it's a fairly involved process, but converts are considered full members and have to be eliminated. eg the game keeps going since Csargo is still alive.

- Make recruitment easier and/or faster, but keep the converts as junior members who suicide when all original mafia are eliminated.

- Keep recruitment the same, but enable the mafia to counter vig groups more effectively. This could mean more powerful and/or more available roleblocks, increased survivability and/or protection (which in turn could make people suspicious of townies with food/strong bonus), easier avenue to perform mafia kills, etc.

Secondary actions for the mafia is a great step in the right direction, and I think any of the paths listed above will make the mafia better able to stand a real chance at conquering the town, and clever implementation could even further hamper "spreadsheeting" as a strategy. I must also mention that including immediate alignment reveals might be necessary in a game with more powerful recruitment, and of course is a greatly appreciated convenience.

edit: also also some of the changes I suggested will incentivize townies to participate in vig groups already more than they are, so you might want to do something about that. Maybe frequent killers are more susceptible to recruitment, or descend into madness, or there's incentive to perform actions other than vigging.
    Last edited by Zack; 10-21-2015 at 20:39.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I might just bite the bullet and give the mafia unrestricted secondary actions next time: i.e. they can do mafia stuff *and* participate in groups every night. That alone would give them more agency and I think avoid a lot of the problems that arose this time around.

Things I'm definitely keeping in no matter what:
    - Stealing. Great for flavor and it's a good fallback for townies who get stuck when groups don't materialize at night for whatever reason. Need to tweak the guard mechanic though.
    - Abandon ship. I get what people say about it being a sort of alternative to suicide pacts, but I still don't see the ultimate incentive - there should be enough reason to stay on the ship unless you're completely pessimistic about the town's chances/your own survival. May have to adjust it to prevent a mass abandonment if it becomes clear the mafia's doing well, though.

Things I'm open to changing:
    - Delayed reveals. I'm still adamant about more vanilla games not needing reveals at all, but in the complex games like this I see the need for it. Honestly I just took this system from Capo without thinking twice about it, this it the first game where I've really seen pushback. I'll make the call on this depending on the other changes I make and deciding whether the town or mafia needs a bit of an extra boost.
    - Clarity, or lack thereof, in the night writeup in terms of how many people show up for actions. As mentioned earlier. Though if I give the mafia complete freedom with secondary actions, this might not be needed.

Stuff for me to think about, but not now.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Member thankful for this post:

Zack 

How about loosening groups.

Protections and vigs can succeed even if one person is involved, no matter what their role - it's just the odds that are affected. Combined with hidden numbers in writeups, this would completely eliminate the usefulness of vigs in spreadsheeting. A vig, especially one involving multiple people, would only make sense if you really want the target dead. Also has the effect of making gold more important, as well as making protections more useful.

In Pirate games, the protections have been one of the less-valuable actions, along with "Sleep" and "Guard gold".
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

About abandoning ship: How are there so many dinghies on this ship?
    Vitiate Man.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    About abandoning ship: How are there so many dinghies on this ship?
    Specially designed. To haul back all that treasure after the Presence's many raids, of course!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Protections and vigs can succeed even if one person is involved, no matter what their role - it's just the odds that are affected. Combined with hidden numbers in writeups, this would completely eliminate the usefulness of vigs in spreadsheeting. A vig, especially one involving multiple people, would only make sense if you really want the target dead. Also has the effect of making gold more important, as well as making protections more useful.

In Pirate games, the protections have been one of the less-valuable actions, along with "Sleep" and "Guard gold".
    More rng is bad imo

Everyone who can abandons ship N1, leaving only the scums. But that would be a draw, so the townies swarm the ship on D2 and kill everyone on board.

Instant town victory.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    More rng is bad imo
    Fusion: remember GH's RPS tournaments?
    Vitiate Man.

Blog Entries

Fusion: remember GH's RPS tournaments?
    I was actually thinking about running another one soon, but I've already put out tens of thousands of words over the past month and want to rest a bit first.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I's been cogitatin'. Methinks tha' the only way ta make the gold race be import'nt fer those wha' be uninterested in the gold race be makin' th' gold be useful, havin' wan or twa special events like dockin' at a merchant harbour or pillagin' a passin' ship, an' there th' gold be useful fer, say, buyin' new ammunition fer th' cannon, payin' an NPC informant, findin' oot whaur an' hoo ta lift an Aztec curse fram the days of Cortez, an' sae on.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I's just seen this…
    Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Sorry for robbing you of 10 recruitment gold El Barto ;)
    ‘Sorry’ bain't enough, laddie. Pay up!
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

One interesting idea could be that people who are attacked can passively bribe their attackers to leave them alone- maybe the attackers automatically accept a certain amount of gold, or have a chance to be immune, or something. Not quite sure how it would work, but it would be an interesting idea to work out.

Ye can always beat someone on th' head wi' a sack full o' gold coins, Choxorn.

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    I's just seen this…

‘Sorry’ bain't enough, laddie. Pay up!
    Arr, but I seem to have spent the last of my 213 gold from the previous adventure on this lonely little beautiful bottle of rum.

Ye's paid fer material goods instead o' seizin' them? This be unheard of in piratedom.

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475