Thread: Controlling an Army

Default Controlling an Army

I've just started playing N-TW and am having some problems. Maybe somebody could give me some pointers? The main issue is that I find it impossible to give detailed orders to, move & position and monitor the progress of the fifteen or twenty units under my command. If I am defending, the battle scenario requires me to move into my defensive position but only after the battle has started. My enemy is already manoeuvring and invariably catches me not yet in place, in the wrong formations and unprepared.

If there is any wooded land, the locations of my troops are hidden from my view, the terrain where I want to take up defensive positions can not be scouted before the battle start so that I am aware of the most sensible positions for my formations and I am totally unaware of impassable terrain. This would not be the situation that any mildly competent historical general would tolerate and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it.

Mike

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Controlling an Army

Which scenario is this?
    There are, or were Youtube videos on most of them and they may also give you tips on controlling your force groupings.
    Tactically, I have always found it better to place artillery in the center of the line, rather than on the flanks, with infantry support. They are too easily killed by cavalry there. The flanks are more secure,IMO, by skirmishers and cavalry.
    Hope that helps a little.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Which scenario is this?
    There are, or were Youtube videos on most of them and they may also give you tips on controlling your force groupings.
    Tactically, I have always found it better to place artillery in the center of the line, rather than on the flanks, with infantry support. They are too easily killed by cavalry there. The flanks are more secure,IMO, by skirmishers and cavalry.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Thanks for your response. I don't have problems with my Napoleonic grand tactics or tactics. I have studied the period and wargamed it with miniatures for over 40 years. My problem lies in getting N-TW to allow me to undertake these manoeuvres before my AI opponent makes what I want to do irrelevant! The scenario was one I generated myself with Britain as the defender and France (AI) as the attacker in Prussian hilly terrain. I tried to play it six times and at no point was I able to get my troops into their defensive positions prepared to meet their attacker. The terrain could not be scouted by my light cavalry and I could not even put my units into my preferred formations before starting the battle. At present, I see the game as unplayable. I'm not interested in the campaign as the sight of a Napoleonic general icon beating a city with his sabre to indicate a siege reminded me too much of Basil Fawlty beating his car with a tree branch because it wouldn't start. If that's the level of sophistication we can expect, I'll pass.

I'd just like to play a battle in the way it would have happened historically - the defender occupying the position he had chosen (preferably after reconnaissance) and the attacker trying to defeat him with proper Napoleonic tactics and grand tactics. I don't want to have my army behind some theoretical start-line so as to give the AI an unfair advantage.

Mike

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

It’s been several years since I had NTW on my computer. My main platform now is an apple so bringing it up right now is not an option. I can’t exactly remember the control commands and options. That is why I suggested checking to see what you can find on Youtube.

I like the game but it is certainly not perfect. The difficulty level will give bonuses to the AI, in among other things, movement speed. Also, I don’t find it a good simulator of Napoleonic Warfare. It is entertaining and can present a challenge but has many limitations.

The game can be fun but if you want good tactics and a smart AI you should see if you can find something else. It always uses the same basic configuration of artillery on the flanks with a little horse to support which a human player can always draw away and defeat the guns, at which time they advance into your canister or howitzer fire. No massed columns etc. Usually in line three deep. I find 2 deep usually wins in infantry. They will form square but you can usually catch them before they have time.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I greatly appreciate your efforts to assist and thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I want a Napoleonic battle simulator that allows me to behave like a historical army commander and pit my capabilities against a good AI. It looks like I've wasted my money with N-TW :-(

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike0liver View Post
    I greatly appreciate your efforts to assist and thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I want a Napoleonic battle simulator that allows me to behave like a historical army commander and pit my capabilities against a good AI. It looks like I've wasted my money with N-TW :-(

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Unfortunately you will not find the ai your looking for in NTW.
    Matter of fact, what you are looking for can only be found playing a human player.
    I have a possible solution for you.
    A few of us " old timers" like yourself(no offense) play Historical Battles, created by a modification for NTW called NTW3.
    We play these battles using correct positions of armies prior to engagement(with some game rules).
    Rather than giving you a long list of items that we include, I encourage you to visit our Steam page and our You Tube page.
    Give a watch to our videos, ask some questions if you have them, and join us in playing these magnificent creations if you like.
    Note: We DO NOT recreate the battles EXACTLY, but we play with the closest historical accuracy that the game engine allows. Mike you will never find an exact Napoleonic replication in a Total War game, sorry.
    Remember Mike, it is after all a game simulation.

Since I am new to this forum Mike, it will not allow me to provide links, therefore you can pm me here or friend me on steam and I will provide you with the links.

My steam name is same as here.........ztrain909

Good luck and hope to see you on the battlefield!