Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: The Mansion II [on hiatus]

Default Re: The Mansion II

We should take all the corpses out and see if that helps climb the back wall.
    I don't see the connection.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

We need to check if the wall is not electrified or something like that.

There are a couple of ways we might get the laptop working without the charger. The simplest method is just to warm the battery up, but that would only buy us a very short period - likely nowhere near enough for me to hack any security features. Better would be to find (or build) another battery with enough charge. The best, though, would be to jerry-rig a mains transformer - quite possible, and very quickly done, if we had the right materials. When I was backpacking in India, I saw guys put them together in under ten minutes, using only very basic tools.

(OOC: Credit to my friend Rainbow Joe - a brilliant sound engineer and hardware hacker - for the tech knowledge, including the India story. If there's a way to make this work, he can tell me what my character's brain would already know.)

@Zain

What electrical items have we seen around the house? (Ideally, I'm looking for something like a TV, a radio or a sound system.)

Do we have any lemons among our assorted food stocks?

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    Yes, although the facilities left something to be desired
    We are meant to throw urine bombs at the monsters, I can tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I don't see the connection.
    We have to get them out anyway. Might as well use them to climb the wall.

Well, maybe not out, as the GM did hint about the sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    What electrical items have we seen around the house? (Ideally, I'm looking for something like a TV, a radio or a sound system.)

Do we have any lemons among our assorted food stocks?
    Remember we have wristwatches but not much else.

Do you intend to use lemon juice as an electrolyte, or is the food here that bland?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    We have to get them out anyway. Might as well use them to climb the wall.

Well, maybe not out, as the GM did hint about the sun.
    I think furniture are better for climbing on than corpses.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Member thankful for this post:

When we get around to leaving, climbing an 8-foot fence and walking around the house will accomplish nothing that just leaving through the front would not.

I think the best we have for electronics is the light fixtures around the house. Are there any desk laps? Maybe even common small batteries? Definitely something to keep in mind while searching the basement. Worst case, create a direct connection between the household electricity and the charging terminals (i.e. battery taken out first), but that would be liable to destroy the thing very quickly. I'm sure legit chargers have features to manage power intake in a way that the hardware can withstand.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Worst case, create a direct connection between the household electricity and the charging terminals (i.e. battery taken out first), but that would be liable to destroy the thing very quickly.

Wouldn't that melt the battery?

Laptops and PCs run on DC power, at 12V iirc.
    US mains power provides AC power at 120V.

What Winston said makes sense though. Radios, TVs, Halogen lights, all these things run on DC, and should have transformers in them. If we can find one with the right output we're in business, and even one with the wrong output (but still DC) would give us options.

Heating the battery sounds a very interesting idea... After all, we may only need a very short period of power to find out the information we need.

EDIT: Also... car batteries are usually 12 volts. Humvee?
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 02-10-2016 at 17:49.

As I say (OOC: thanks Joe!), a transformer is easy enough to build if you've got a few basic components. We'd have to improvise a soldering iron, but that's just a bit of copper wire, some kind of insulator for the grip, and a source of heat. The biggest obstacle could turn out to be the lack of appropriate screwdrivers to open both the laptop and the source of our components. Cutlery from the kitchen could probably be worked into what we need, but that's going to slow the whole thing right down. If, on the other hand, we had a half-decent tool kit plus something like a stereo amplifier for the components, I could whip up a suitable transformer in no time.

Edit: Of course, we might just find a charger next phase, rendering all of this macgyvering entirely unnecessary.
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 02-10-2016 at 21:33.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

And what's ever been more fun in an RPG than doing unnecessary stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I think furniture are better for climbing on than corpses.
    Are there any chairs or tables whose legs we haven't ripped off to burn in the upstairs fire or to use as blunt weapons?

(btw, we need firebombs, that'd clear the way to the Humvees.)

Now, these Humvees… is it possible that the CIA or other agency found out about this infection, tried to put a stop to it, but were overpowered somehow? Also, there's still electricity so the world's not over.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

I can't help but come back to wondering what the motives of our captor are. The mansion isn't locked, the bodies of these people have obviously been left here for us to find, and the humvees left within reaching distance. It's not as if we are particularly trapped. It comes back to what I was saying before - we either play the game or play our captor, and right now I'm struggling to see how we can play our captor when his motives are so unclear.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't help but come back to wondering what the motives of our captor are. The mansion isn't locked, the bodies of these people have obviously been left here for us to find, and the humvees left within reaching distance. It's not as if we are particularly trapped. It comes back to what I was saying before - we either play the game or play our captor, and right now I'm struggling to see how we can play our captor when his motives are so unclear.
    Considering the state of the outside world, maybe he realized his mistake and we're somehow connected to making it better?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Leaving the philosophy for later, what do we do now?

Spend one more turn exploring the house and garden I think, before making any move on the humvees.

We need to:
    - Search the crates in the cellar
    - Search the whole mansion for transformers, heat the battery and try to get that laptop booting
    - Search the garden shed for electronics (batteries would be ideal, even a torch battery would be good)
    - There were half a dozen bodies in the yard, we should search these.
    - Prepare weapons for a breakout attempt to reach the humvees? Maybe more torches to burn?

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

I agree on searching. I'll go down in the basement and see if I can find anything to get some use of my mechanical skills.

We could also see if we can create a diversion on the backyard. Luring some or all of the monsters away makes things much easier. Even having them scattered about would help as we're ok when taking them down in a 2+2+2+2 matter, while 8 on the same time is too much.

We should still search the billiard room and the bedrooms on the main floor.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

OK, so we assemble groups… I'd search the bodies and the shed.

Maybe we can dig somewhere with the hoe and shovel.

@Ironside: can you search the billiards room and the main floor bedrooms? Take any inactives, I'm searching the shed and the corpses.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll be sending in orders after I wake up tomorrow (hopefully won't sleep in!) to do support duty once again.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

I'll join team basement and help search the crates.

Orders in, 2 hours to go. I followed the advice of El Barto.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Deadline passed half an hour ago, and only 3 orders have been received.

Deadline extended for a few hours. If orders are not received, WOG's will be swift.

Blog Entries

I was one of the three! I didn't oversleep!

Oops, thought we had longer. Sending orders now.

ps. I'll be away from Monday to Friday this week, and will not be able to post at all during that time.
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 02-13-2016 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    I was one of the three! I didn't oversleep!
    So @Choxorn didn't send in anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    Deadline passed half an hour ago, and only 3 orders have been received.

Deadline extended for a few hours. If orders are not received, WOG's will be swift.
    A 24 hour reminder is quite useful when you have a long period before a deadline.

I was away yesterday, but I've submitted orders now to search the whole mansion for transformers and batteries.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was away yesterday, but I've submitted orders now to search the whole mansion for transformers and batteries.
    Congratulations, you could found Optimus Prime!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Congratulations, you could found Optimus Prime!
    Want.

Given how much of a crapshoot these grey fellers are, I shudder to think how aggressive such a war robot would be.

Blog Entries

Zain? You around, buddy?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast