Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Change of Plans: Moving to Belgium

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Final Change of Plans: Moving to Belgium

In a previous thread of mine, I was curious about immigrating to Canada however considering the distance to homeland, job availabilities and living expenses, despite all the positives about being as best as one country could be in terms of a social and democratic one other than those in Scandinavia, that option turned out to be a no-goer.

Still, however, the ever-evolving-into-a-greater hole called Turkey holds no hesitance about forcing us abroad, being dictated by a totalitarian who is voted by half the population over and over breaking records each time.

So the consequence stands, I (and my family) need to move to someplace where we would not be fearful to express ourselves, see something and places different before we closed our eyes for good and prepare a better life for our baby girl.

That's when some acquaintances living in Belgium came up, offering that we'd better be moving to Belgium for it suited most of what we were looking for in a country.

As far as the immigration goes, getting a student visa looks like the best option also I, turning 32 in June, was excited on the prospect of being able to study something I like for the first time in my life should I be admitted to KU Leuven.

As the month of February closes upon us, it's time that I clearly determined the programmes I will be applying one of which is definitely at KU Leuven.

What other options would you recommend and what would you like to say about living in Belgium?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 01-20-2016 at 18:42.

Default Re: Final Change of Plans: Moving to Belgium

Hey mate!

What is your profession?

After 2 years of research, I moved from Turkey to Ireland last year, by a language school with a student visa.
    I found a job in 3 weeks as a software developer, and everything is great here.

I can help you too, if you like.

But first, you must admit that you are also responsible from the situation by supporting the very same dictator ~12 years ago for the sake of democracy, believing they only want to live the religion freely and nothing more, and making fun with people warned you about this when they say "Tehlikenin farkinda misiniz?", calling them ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Yesugey View Post
    Hey mate!

What is your profession?

After 2 years of research, I moved from Turkey to Ireland last year, by a language school with a student visa.
    I found a job in 3 weeks as a software developer, and everything is great here.

I can help you too, if you like.

But first, you must admit that you are also responsible from the situation by supporting the very same dictator ~12 years ago for the sake of democracy, believing they only want to live the religion freely and nothing more, and making fun with people warned you about this when they say "Tehlikenin farkinda misiniz?", calling them ignorant
    Hey there, I wonder if you are not "jintaishi" from an online community called itusozluk back in times.

Since Frontroom is hardly the place to delve into the ugly meddlings of politics, I'l try to tiptoe here and would like to inform you that I've used that last paragraph of yours in the very same context not more than 3-4 hours ago on ekşisözlük. So, we were always on the same boat about that.

On topic, sure, I'd very much like to know about your experiences and advices.

Edit: I've forgot to mention my profession - I hold Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and am currently working for TKDK as a project handling expert.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 01-20-2016 at 20:42.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    Hey there, I wonder if you are not "jintaishi" from an online community called itusozluk back in times.

Since Frontroom is hardly the place to delve into the ugly meddlings of politics, I'l try to tiptoe here and would like to inform you that I've used that last paragraph of yours in the very same context not more than 3-4 hours ago on ekşisözlük. So, we were always on the same boat about that.

On topic, sure, I'd very much like to know about your experiences and advices.

Edit: I've forgot to mention my profession - I hold Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and am currently working for TKDK as a project handling expert.
    Hey mate, exactly, that's me. Good to see you again. No worries, I was just busting your chops.

I just don't want to bring the wrong people here, as you know there are millions of terrorists comes abroad and getting a better life by using Turkish passport already.

Business Administration area is a bit tricky. If it was a technical area, I would give you my full support, would basically bring you here. Beside that there are some "Turkish Speaking" positions which is suitable, or Facebook or Google hires junior account managers. But I can't promise.

But I can give you all the info you need about work permit, in case you get hired. It's also extremely valuable information.

Here is how should we start: You still do your research. But create a linkedin profile, put all the good stuff in your resume. Show yourself as you are in Ireland. And apply for suitable positions. Let's see how many of those recruiters will be interested in your profile.

And you can study a degree here to get a work permit too if you like, but it takes one year and a lot of your money. Not a good plan for a married person and father of one.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Belgium is a great country, if you already know people there it's a great idea. Could also consider Rotterdam, bit more modern, enough to do, 3 top universities within 30 minutes max, and just 30 minutes away from Belgium with the Thalys, 3 hours to Paris

edit, cool architecture as well http://www.google.nl/search?q=rotter...68.tcj469diGlI

I wouldn't like to live there but I love visiting it
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-21-2016 at 12:00.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Good luck LEN. I can't think of any advice for moving to Belgium so I'll let others answer that.

@Yesugey

Well, changing destination at this point would take a lot of incentives to lure me, to be honest.

I'd like someplace where social security and education is of no material concern and where we would find it easier to start off with getting jobs. Also studying in Belgium and transition of your visa into a work permit is not much hassle, I am told.

How about Ireland in these aspects?

@Fragony

I checked a few universities in Holland however failed to find Master programmes that would admit me with the conditions I hold while not requiring outrageous tuition fees. If you'd come up with some programme in a university around Rotterdam, I'd happily consider it.

Plus Netherlands have Vitesse Arnhem, what more could I ask for in a country ?

Thanks Kralizec.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 01-21-2016 at 21:01.

I don't know what master you are after, but tuition-fee shouldn't be all that much of a problem. Finding a place to live could be

@Yesugey

Well, changing destination at this point would take a lot of incentives to lure me, to be honest.

I'd like someplace where social security and education is of no material concern and where we would find it easier to start off with getting jobs. Also studying in Belgium and transition of your visa into a work permit is not much hassle, I am told.

How about Ireland in these aspects?
    I believe Irish schools are the cheapest, and even language schools in Ireland provides you temporary work permit. Also, I converted my student visa to work permit myself right after I get a proper offer.

I don't know how much you prepared yourself for the Belgium though. Don't want to change your plans if you already in a good way. I just know Ireland was the best choice for me.
    Last edited by Yesugey; 01-22-2016 at 14:46.

I believe Irish schools are the cheapest, and even language schools in Ireland provides you temporary work permit. Also, I converted my student visa to work permit myself right after I get a proper offer.

I don't know how much you prepared yourself for the Belgium though. Don't want to change your plans if you already in a good way. I just know Ireland was the best choice for me.
    Belgium looks quite plausible in every aspect thinkable. We are not bound by 100% yet. Maybe being a software engineer, Ireland sure was the best choice for you. I'll look into Ireland as well, now that you've praised there a lot.

Belgium looks quite plausible in every aspect thinkable. We are not bound by 100% yet. Maybe being a software engineer, Ireland sure was the best choice for you. I'll look into Ireland as well, now that you've praised there a lot.
    Best of luck. I would choose Belgium too, it's in central Europe. And Ireland has it's own visa, so you still have to get Schengen every time you visit Europe, which is pretty annoying. (Well to be honest that turned to an advantage these days, because there are no illegal Syrians here.)

Best of luck. I would choose Belgium too, it's in central Europe. And Ireland has it's own visa, so you still have to get Schengen every time you visit Europe, which is pretty annoying. (Well to be honest that turned to an advantage these days, because there are no illegal Syrians here.)
    Well Turkey itself has already turned into a roaming Syria within, so I wouldn't mind seeing them around. At least European countries have better wits at dealing with emerging problems rather than the Turkish way called "Saldım çayıra".

Belgium's gain Canada's loss

Best of luck!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I don't know what master you are after, but tuition-fee shouldn't be all that much of a problem. Finding a place to live could be
    Management Information Systems is a priority however the priority of all things is getting accepted into Belgium first.

I'd like to start a new life in Europe, but I heard that any OECD country is difficult to immigrate to these days. A rich person might have a better chance to be accepted.
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    I'd like to start a new life in Europe, but I heard that any OECD country is difficult to immigrate to these days. A rich person might have a better chance to be accepted.
    I am moving a whole family, mate. You'd like to evaluate options more realistically rather than what you'd hear around and re-consider maybe.

I am moving a whole family, mate. You'd like to evaluate options more realistically rather than what you'd hear around and re-consider maybe.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I thought about returning to the States after living in Asia for nearly a decade. Maybe I should take this opportunity to try Europe. I'm thinking about retiring early into an artist.
    Wooooo!!!

YAAAAS !

Just got 162 from quantitative section of GRE exam today which gets me eligible for application to KU Leuven.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Congratulations LEN!
    This space intentionally left blank

Congratulations Effendi. First thing to do, enjoy some Vlaamse Friet. they are delicious. Leuven is a really nice town with beautifull architecture.

Second thing to do, let me buy you the best pancakes in the universe and surroundings. It really are the best officially. I am just an hour away I'll pick you up at the station.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-09-2016 at 19:45.

Members thankful for this post (2):

So as of today I have applied to three 3 programs in 3 universities:

1- Master of Information Management - KU Leuven (YAAAY)

2- Postgraduate International Management - UC Leuven-Limburg (Less yaay)

3- International Master of Rural Development - Ghent University (No yayz at all, I hate the topic as one working in the field)

Next step is, as soon as getting the admission letter from any of those universities -hopefully one of them will send-, applying for the visa. A lot more is to follow such as selling the house first, and figuring a way to get rid of all these belongings, furniture, etc.

De Yaaaay

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Tebrikler LEN-Bey, hayirli olsun.

Keep us posted, and don't forget to try waffles! I mean, you are going to Belgium just for waffles, am I correct?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

UCLL sends his admission letter ! Woot woot !

Members thankful for this post (3):

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Just a quick reminder - Godiva, Leonidas, Neuhaus and Corne Port Royal are some really useful words you need to know. Just so you know what to eat first when you get there.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Good luck, hope you get one from Leuven as well!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Wooooo!!!

Members thankful for this post (2):

So it's done.

Yeah, I made the switch. It's been a month now in Leuven.

That would explain my from-almost-none-to-definitely-none presence around here. Sale of the house, the stuff, packing, actually moving to Belgium, starting a Dutch course the next day, succeeding at it while renting an apartment and getting the hang of the Belgian ways sucked all the time I had for the last 2 months.

It's a beautiful country where stress is minimal -at least for me for now-. Lots of green and history preserved, cars don't honk at all and well blonds ! I mean blond beers !

If only waste management was less difficult and it would be the perfect place as soon as I could bring my wife and my baby daughter over too.

I'm currently waiting for my residence permit to arrive and my 2nd level Dutch course at Mobyus and my Master study at KU Leuven will begin in a month.

All is going well except for my place which definitely needs a lady's touch all over.

I'm 33 now and I've accomplished a few radical-in-Turkish-ways things. That, along with the green and soothing Belgium make me happy for the moment.

Just wanted to give a heads up, maybe even for a chance to see any of you passing through here someday.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Congrats! Have one for me! (Prefer dark but blonde will do just as well. )
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

All beers in Belgium are fine. Do me a favour and do not get drunk and say something negative about Erdogan when in company of fellow Turks, you are on a list send directly to Ankara before you can say baclava.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    All beers in Belgium are fine. Do me a favour and do not get drunk and say something negative about Erdogan when in company of fellow Turks, you are on a list send directly to Ankara before you can say baclava.
    Are you kidding me? The reason I am here was to run away from Turks. Plus I like ranting about him and the country without having to worry if something unpleasant might follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast