Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season 3: Mafia Champions- NOMINATE SOMEONE

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Season 3: Mafia Champions- NOMINATE SOMEONE

Sup gais

So our website is invited to join the third season of the "Champions" series of mafia games, where the "best" players from various forums are encouraged to join to represent their home forum in a series of mafia games.

Granted like 95% of our player base has come and gone, and we had to settle for sending me, so "Champions" is definitely in quotations. But, since I made it to the final round last time, I'm ineligible. I'll also be assisting with the organization, design, and hosting of the games this year, as well as moderating and rule enforcement stuffs. So that means it's a double-triple no, I can't do it this time around. Do not nominate me.

That means we need someone able and willing who gets some nominations to go to a whole different website and play with some peoples you've never played with before, and try to win every game flawlessly, or else there will be shame on your family name for countless generations, and the .Org will literally stop being a website.

It's a super big deal and kittens will die if you don't attend. (It's a fact, albeit an unrelated one)

So #SaveTheKittens and nominate someone who can put on a less pathetic performance than I did!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Personally, I nominate whoever posts next. But GeneralHankerchief would probably get my nod, assuming we can wipe off the cobwebs and get rid of that terrible mothball smell. He's been here doing mafia stuff since 2006 for crying out loud.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Default Re: Season 3: Mafia Champions- NOMINATE SOMEONE

I post next and am ineligible you goof.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I post next and am ineligible you goof.
    Ah.

Well, we'll just change your name to Zackbeard and send you anyway.

#loopholes
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Relevant post from the other thread

(I might move those posts here at some point but that requires moderator-fu and I've got other stuff on my plate atm)
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'd say GH or Monty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do we have any other nominations?

I'd like to submit seireikhaan's name for discussion, he has way more practice at being mafia than me (seriously, my performance in the last game isn't enough to convince you guys that I'm terribly rusty as scum?), and plus I know I'll enjoy him privately complaining about the game's minutiae to me over Steam.

I'd also like to submit Csargo for general awesomeness and being the perfect lab-designed counter to khaan, but unfortunately it looks like we can only pick one person.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Blog Entries

I'd also be open to El Barto representing us on the one condition that he uses his persona from Pirate Ship III/Rock-Paper-Scissors IV for the entirety of the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    seriously, my performance in the last game isn't enough to convince you guys that I'm terribly rusty as scum?
    Here's the thing though. There's a misconception that being a good mafioso is about avoiding suspicion, but it isn't. It's about survival (of the TEAM). And you survived long enough in that game, managing to direct however many lynches (can't remember off the top of my head) onto townies, before getting "caught". Anyone who calls that a poor performance is flat-out wrong, you lasted until freaking lylo (or close to it at least) for god's sake. You weren't the survivor, but you didn't put your surviving teammate in a hole - on the contrary, edse was still in a statistically favorable position even immediately after your death.

Quick tips for improving your scum game that are kind of vague and easier said than done:

1. Always put your team's survival above your own. This also applies to your teammates' survival. You don't need to survive to win, and your team doesn't need to sweep to win.

2. Balance the short-term and the long-term. A short-term setback can be a long-term boon, but too many short-term setbacks will sink your team. Conversely, a short-term gain can hurt you in the long run, and a lot of short-term gains can snowball into long-term success.

3. Match the tone and "meta" of your town game. Unless you are brand new, people are going to draw on their experience of how you acted as scum/town in the past, and they will notice deviations from the pattern that may implicate you. Immerse yourself in the role of a townie, and think like a townie. WWTMD? (what would townie me do)

4. Have genuine-seeming interactions with your teammates in public. This is critical for team survival and obfuscating spew. This also applies to bussing, ensure you are bussing in a manner that gives the impression of a legitimate accusation.

Hmm, maybe I should write a guide. There are already enough guides for town play.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    There's a misconception that being a good mafioso is about avoiding suspicion, but it isn't.
    Just to re-iterate this point, in pretty much game I've ever won as scum there's always a parade of "I knew it was you" (i.e. hindsight bias), even when I survive to the end of the game and am never under serious lynch pressure.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I'd also be open to El Barto representing us on the one condition that he uses his persona from Pirate Ship III/Rock-Paper-Scissors IV for the entirety of the championship.
    Hahahaha. I was actually going to post something along the lines of ‘would they allow a PirateBarto account?’ before I read your post, I don't know… if no one else wants to do it I coould step up as a representative for any of here/CFC/TWC, I can do it, but I'd have to sign out of any games for as long as I'm alive there.

But, regarding the rules:

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).
    a) there's a hammer
    b) the phases are too short, I couldn't guarantee that I'd get any of those. I have to finish with uni once and for all.

So, seriously, I'm only your last resort. You can get better, or should be able to, at least.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do we have any other nominations?

I'd like to submit seireikhaan's name for discussion, he has way more practice at being mafia than me (seriously, my performance in the last game isn't enough to convince you guys that I'm terribly rusty as scum?), and plus I know I'll enjoy him privately complaining about the game's minutiae to me over Steam.

I'd also like to submit Csargo for general awesomeness and being the perfect lab-designed counter to khaan, but unfortunately it looks like we can only pick one person.
    While that's kind of you to recommend me, darling, I'm not sure my style would mesh well over there. I'd have to fairly significantly ramp up my usual early activity, which might throw me off into doing something stupid. That said, if there's really nobody else, I'd consider it.

Besides, you're the One True Founder, the Great Prophet who descended from on high and gave us the stone tablets of Mafia here on the .org.

And I guess if not you, I'll toss out Visorslash or Csargo.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

seirei/issai/whateverelsekhaan shouldn't be allowed in. He can't mangle his way through to the semifinals by throwing rock every time.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    seirei/issai/whateverelsekhaan shouldn't be allowed in. He can't mangle his way through to the semifinals by throwing rock every time.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'd second/third/fourth a khaan or Visorslash nomination as well. I do not have the time to seriously commit to any mafia games atm sadly.
    Last edited by Csargo; 03-31-2016 at 04:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I've don't mind playing again but I would prefer to send someone else who can handle it.

That said, it will be an intense game (sometime n april/may/june)

If I do rep one of either cfc/org I need at least one other person to come with me.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I nominate Tak so he'll shut up already.

I've just checked in CFC, apparently Takhisis has been absorbed into the Tolni supraentity. And their Double A is taking over Takhisis-hood. I have no choice but to conclude you're nominating yourself. Double A + Visor seems like a good duo which gets my backing.

Blog Entries

You know what, screw it. If I'm the nominee I'll do it.

good, thats settled. you're the candidate.

OK, GH for here and Double A for CFC, we're all set.

Visorslash should be an alternate and khaan should be like the second alternate in case Double A doesn't show up and GH suddenly gets orgitis and needs to return to his homeland.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

GH-khaan for the .org and AA-Visor for CFC then.

Blog Entries

GH-khaan for the .org and AA-Visor for CFC then.
    So I can finally team up with honey-bun in mafia, after all these years?

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Well, while it's still not up to the standards of vampiric homosexuality displayed on the CFC, this is already making things worth it.

P.S. you can touch his honey-bun anytime, I think.
    Last edited by El Barto; 03-31-2016 at 20:57.

Blog Entries

But yeah, on a more serious note, I'm fine with being an alt for GH.

P.S. you can touch his honey-bun anytime, I think.
    Implying this doesn't happen already.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Visorslash should be an alternate and khaan should be like the second alternate in case Double A doesn't show up and GH suddenly gets orgitis and needs to return to his homeland.
    what do you mean "in case"

Blog Entries

Got a PM from the organizer who needs me to jump through a couple of hoops, here's the relevant part:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman
    6) FINALLY: YOUR BIO!

And lastly, I need a bio from you.

Please fill out the below form.

NATIONALITY: [...]

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): [...]

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: [...]

BIO:
    [Insert whatever information or fun facts that you wish here. Talk about your mafia-related accolades, impressive stats, fun anecdotes, favorite role to play, strengths and weaknesses, your approach to the game, other players' quotes about you, or take out the piss on the whole thing and make some jokes. The ball is entirely in your court, this will be how you present yourself to your fellow competitors and to the 136 spectating communities.

Feel free to enlist the help of your community to make this bio]
    So, anybody feel like contributing quotes? Otherwise I'm just going to make a bunch of terrible age jokes.

The Ishmael post has to be referenced.

edit: plus the time you betrayed your morals and led a town network

Blog Entries

Oh god, the Cicero speech. I'd forgotten about how much time I spent on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKleenex View Post
    edit: plus the time you betrayed your morals and led a town network
    and your frenzied attempt to rationalize it as an "entente"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast