Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History - Remember or Forget?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: History - Remember or Forget?

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    The saying: History does not repeat itself, but it very often rhymes; is probably appropriate here.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:History

Probably true, in much the same way "There is nothing new since Shakespeare" is true.
    Details change, but we are still the same animals chasing largely the same goals; means to ends may be modified by technology or changes in norms, but the ends remain largely constant.
    Yes we are still the same animals, if one is looking for any consistancy I would look there. History has nothing on offer
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-11-2016 at 19:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Find me an example of history repeating itselve
    Brian Cranston lead actor in Breaking bad. His father did a runner when he was a kid. Never had much contact with him after that. So he went on a genealogy show and they found that his grand father had done the same to his first wife and their daughter. And that one of his male ancestors who fought in ACW did the same to his family.

And in personal experience my father was the second son had me at 27 and had three kids total. My brother is the second son had his first kid at 27 and has 3 kids.

Point is on a macro level history repeats is a bit dicey. But on a personal level it happens.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Member thankful for this post:

Forget any and all history, it's usually found in books and books are liars.

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Find me an example of history repeating itselve
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...OE#.dxBQDYwDaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I once did a speech in an event category called Demagogue (which for competition purposes was 'persuasion on an absurd premise').

My theme?

Those who do not condemn the past are doomed to study history.

I assume that Santayanna was groaning over that from the beyond.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Husar 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12