Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TW games - the future

Default Re: TW games - the future

Amazingly Empire is holding its own against Shogun 2 as far as old TW titles still commonly being played: http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=total+war

I imagine it's just the sheer amount of content found in Empire. I think it appeals to the casual gamer more, the ones who aren't so loud and who don't join forums to complain.

Even though I'm still more of a "Rome 1 + mods" kind of guy, since I have four kids now I generally gravitate to playing vanilla Shogun 2 or Rome II just because I have much less leisure time for games like this. Shogun 2 if I want a focused campaign I can finish in a few months. And Rome II if I want to just sandbox around and do what if's, like horse only armies from the East, or migrating some Hellenists into Western Europe.
    I'm looking forward to playing one of the Total War titles with my five year old. He's reading now, so I can see starting a co-op campaign with him in a couple of years.

I have been considering buying a couple copies of Attila now that the Winter Steam sale is going, but I'm not sure I'll play it much. I've watched YouTube "let's play" videos but just can't decide. Is there a compelling reason to purchase Attila and the Charlemagne campaign?
    I'm in the midst of Shogun 2 and want to start a new Rome II campaign after that with a nomad faction, or maybe the Armenians. I just have too much content to go through as it is.
    I bought the entire "Theatre of War" series last week, as I was pining for some Close Combat to play. Kursk looks very promising and I could see me setting up a couple mobile workstations for some parties with some of my mates.
    /Thread Drift
    ---

Back to the thread topic. I guess I'm sort of hoping for an Empire re-hash. I just hope they would give it all the underpinnings needed for a grand strategy to represent such a time period and not leave another sloppy mess. And I agree with Phillipus. Maybe at least start earlier, from the first 30 years war, up to the Victorian Period?

I think that's a big job though, so I wouldn't mind seeing them try a more focused campaign title, much like Napoleon was, but instead focused on WWI. It would require some innovation to properly represent battles for emerging air warfare, and then armor and artillery...but it has a lot of potential. Fleshing out more intrigue via agents and diplomacy, public opinion affects on unrest, etc.
    This could give their franchise the "freshness" I think they have been missing for the last several years. But I'm not sure that would really be "Total War" any longer...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I'm one of those who really enjoyed Attila. I really really like the game, and the DLC packs with the Empires of Sand is an absolute joy. I love how it's polished and it works well, and you can have a lot of fun with it because of the multitude of options you get from a strategic and tactical point of view, particularly if you play the Eastern Romans... or even the crumbling Western Roman Empire.

So from my part - go for it. And don't forget the Empires of Sand.

//

As for the Empire re-hash, I'm definitely rooting for one, because I love the sheer scale of the game. Having mercantile empires is a lot of fun, and despite me wishing for more unique units, you can't really complain once you purchase all of the DLC packs that add a multitude of extra content to the game. I do understand that not many people enjoy the DLC model, but it worked well for Empire.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I don't see CA making a Game Of Thrones game. They'd have to get the rights from Martin and whoever else(HBO?). To my knowledge they have never done this before Warhammer. They always kept to subjects that they don't need to get rights to nor worry about their version of the history/back ground conflicting with what is considered proper. I'd like to see one but on the other hand I'd hate to see CA do it because they would screw up the lore and the book's historical aspect. CA is not very historically accurate IMO at times. They take too many liberties with their cheap known knowledge. Then again maybe they are taking a different path for a while? I'd like to see a Mongols type game but I don't hold up a lot of hope about that. I don't think there is enough interest there from the fans. Whatever it is they do next I hope they don't screw it up like they tend to do at times.

They had to acquire rights for Warhammer, and Warhammer's IP is very closely guarded, so perhaps obtaining the rights for Game of Thrones, which is also a super successful TV series, wouldn't be very complicated to do so.

And plus - there are GoT mods already. So there is interest.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Having well surpassed 1000 hours in Rome 2 I think we need a drastic change in setting. I don't like the Game of Thrones total war ideal. That would be too much like selling out in my opinion. Give me china or even Africa/South Americas.
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Well... technically a Victorian TW would DEFINITELY cover Africa and Asia, and some parts of South America.

Proud

Been to:

Maybe they should release an American Civil War Total War so that every southern male in the US will want it. I think Age of Empires ultimately flopped because it decided to avoid this era of history.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Age of Empires 2, more than 17 years after it has been released, is currently in development still and has had about 2 new expansion packs released. And it's selling quite well on Steam.

Proud

Been to:

I love age of empires
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

A lot of us do.

Hence why it's stlll so popular!

Proud

Been to:

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    They had to acquire rights for Warhammer, and Warhammer's IP is very closely guarded, so perhaps obtaining the rights for Game of Thrones, which is also a super successful TV series, wouldn't be very complicated to do so.

And plus - there are GoT mods already. So there is interest.
    Actually they didn't, Sega did. It's how video game rights for other works are handled more and more these days. A publisher gets the universal rights to video games based on an IP. Like WB interactive has with DC and Tolkien. Sega has the monopoly* on Gamesworkshop IP's.

*Barring any pre-existing licensing contracts naturally.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Ah yes, of course, it's SEGA taking care of it at a group level. SEGA bought it, CA implemented it, in close connection with the owners of the IP.

Proud

Been to:

I'd like to see one of:
    Three Kingdoms China
    Neo-Babylon/Rise of Achaemenid Persia
    Wars of the Roses

I know I say it every time but I really hope they rework the Strategic map to allow meaningful use of Allied Reinforcements, Retreats & frankly to look less like Dx7
    Last edited by hoom; 03-04-2017 at 06:29.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Reinforcements are now properly handled, at least you can have double armies now.

Proud

Been to:

I mean you can get them sure but not with anything like the frequency you used to in Shogun 1/Med 1 where it was fairly common to have allies on a neighbouring province vs pretty rare to have allies within range of your army in post-Rome engine.

Third Age mod actually had Allied reinforcements pretty often but that was clearly to do with the factions having very clearly defined allegiances (Good, Bad & Dwarves) that don't show up in main games.

Ugh, more of this Warhammer crap.

Warhammer makes a lot of capital for the TW franchise, hence why they are so eager to continue the Warhammer saga. Plus they acquired the IP and they have to follow the partnership.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Warhammer makes a lot of capital for the TW franchise, hence why they are so eager to continue the Warhammer saga. Plus they acquired the IP and they have to follow the partnership.
    I can see why they're doing it. It's part of a disappointing pattern of sticking with safe choices over many years. The last really interesting project was Empire in 2009, though S2 made up for the fact that it was only a reiteration on an old formula by being very polished.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I just want even the slightest hint about what the next historical TW will be. Thats all.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I just want even the slightest hint about what the next historical TW will be. Thats all.
    End of 2017 you'll probably get the reveal.

Proud

Been to:

Is anyone else completely disappointed in another Warhammer game? Honestly it feels like a major bit of disrespect to their main fan base which is those of us who want historical combat. I purchased Warhammer to give it a go and honestly I found it exceedingly boring. That and the fact that greenskin armies can move half the map in one turn while dwarves cannot move leaving them incredibly vulnerable.

Anyway...... new Warhammer.... completely unimpressed

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

Based on the background on the count-down screen, I was rather expecting a Warhammer expansion. I was surprised to see a sequel to Warhammer announced within a year of the first one's release. They must have made a tonne of money on that one. I hope they make another tonne of money on the sequel. May they milk the Warhammer fans as much as possible.

The cynical part of me can't help noticing that of the two seperate Total War dev teams, the fantasy team works quite a bit faster than the historical team.

Still, the absence of the next historical game doesn't worry me yet. Attila, Rome and Shogun 2 still have such high replay value for me that I'm not lacking anything. I recently started an Attila grand campaign as the Western Roman Empire so I should be good for the rest of the year.

I thought its pretty well known that there are going to be 3 Warhammer TWs?

3 of them? I had no idea.

Having a Warhammer expansion or a new game was totally expected though - especially with the huge popularity of it. Brought a lot of new players for TW.

Proud

Been to:

Yup, only 3 Warhammer titles. So I guess the only thing we historical title fans can do is patiently wait. Hopefully we will see an announcement by the end of the year.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'm pretty sure they will do something else other than Warhammer.

Proud

Been to:

Oh for sure, as I recall the license for Warhammer only lasts 3 games so the future belongs to the historical games. Now of course the debate is what that historical era will be since CA said it wont be an era they have done before.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

But I'm sure they will do some other fantasy title as well...

Proud

Been to:

So this doesn't give anything away but seems they are actively working on it whatever it is & its not a sequel
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/quick-...orical-titles/
    We have had many questions on when our next historical title is going to be available, so we thought we would try to clear up any confusion and give you some information on what our historical teams have been up to these past few months.

We’ve already spoken a bit (as much as we can at this stage!) about our next historical tent pole, but wanted to clarify that we’re looking at a number of ways of bring a variety of historical content out over the coming months and years, rather than focusing on one singular project. That’s not to say these projects are a distraction to the tent pole’s development, with the Historical sub-teams split out exactly as the Historical and WARHAMMER teams are.

Specifically, we have recently been looking at ways in which we might get back to historical content before we release the next major historical Total War, in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles. Jack Lusted and veteran team members from the ROME II and ATTILA teams have formed a new Total War team to investigate further, and we’re excited to share news of their intentions as soon as we’re able.

The important thing to note is that whilst our developers can switch between projects based on workloads, our historical and fantasy teams are separate and managed separately, meaning whether it’s an historical or fantasy project we can give each title the attention it requires.

Production for our next historical major release is well underway, as mentioned before, with the team working on all areas of the game at this stage; the game design is locked and asset creation fully underway. We have seen some particularly jaw-dropping character and campaign map concepts that have really pushed the strong visual design of this release.

We have also been collaborating with our first historical advisor, pre-eminent in his field and already bringing that world-leading expertise to bear on our designs and extensive research so far – don’t forget, it’s an era that we haven’t tackled yet, so we want to make sure we get it right.

The game retains a strong focus on character design that we have pursued in previous major releases, with the key personalities of the period in particular being an early priority. There are vibrant and striking renders plastered around the studio, with eye-catching combat animations garnering some serious attention too.

Of course, none of the above mentioned projects are ready to be shown off just yet, and we don’t want to give too much info away – But we still wanted to keep you updated as much as we can
    Via .com forums (ugh still white on black that I fled here from waaaay back in S:TW days) https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...-on-17-03-2017
    Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title

Our next major historical release is now in full production with the game design locked and asset creation fully underway. The game retains the same strong focus on character design that infused previous major releases, with the key personalities of the period in particular being an early priority for us now; as such there are some vibrant and striking renders plastered around the studio, with eye-catching combat animations garnering some serious attention too.
    And a bit older https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...-december-2016
    Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
    With production getting fully underway in the new year, pre-production for our next historical major release continues. Also, we have now partnered with our first historical advisor, pre-eminent in his field and already bringing that world-leading expertise to bear on our designs and extensive research so far. Unfortunately there’s nothing more to report this month that wouldn’t give the game away before we’re ready

It will still be some time before we are able to share anything specific about our next big historical game. The official social media channels, and the world’s press will certainly tell you when there’s more to reveal.

In related news, we’ve recently been looking at ways in which we might get back to historical content before we release the next major historical Total War, in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles. Nothing decided yet though.
    I'm getting a 3 Kingdoms China vibe out of that
    Or just seeing what I want to

Edit: or is Warring States?
    Last edited by hoom; 05-04-2017 at 13:50.

Clearly it will be a period marked by very important personalities - so something that has been shaped by those characters. Quite interesting.

New period totally.

Proud

Been to:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast