Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: French Presidential Election

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Default Re: French Presidential Election

"Since the term was not coined at that times, does it mean there was no Armenian or Herero genocide?" I do not dispute the term of genocide, I think the term Crime against Humanity was inadequate...
    Unfortunately, genocide was a system of conquest. Genghis Khan was good at it.
    I discussed at long length about the culture of genocide with friends. South and Central America, Africa (see the Belgian Congo), etc... I was convinced by them that this culture lead to Hitler's final solution. A bit long to develop but that is the idea...
    And I agree. It shouldn't be in the actual political debate. The war is over... No need to start it again...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I thought you was a Geert Wilders fan, my mistake then.

Welcome back.
    Thx.

Won't deny I like him, Wilders can be incredibly hilarious in a 'what did he just say' kinda way, he can be extremily funny, much to the chagrin of others.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    "Since the term was not coined at that times, does it mean there was no Armenian or Herero genocide?" I do not dispute the term of genocide, I think the term Crime against Humanity was inadequate...
    Unfortunately, genocide was a system of conquest. Genghis Khan was good at it....
    Unfettered warfare consists of:

1. Defeat the opponent in the field.
    2. Defeat the last strongholds/holdouts.
    3. Kill or enslave the military-aged males.
    4. Kill the oldsters.
    5. Rape the conquered women of child-bearing age and make them nurture the generation that will dominate the territory for you.

Warfare which does not go to this level is a Western conceit.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

So now Fillon is not stepping down after being formally placed under investigation, despite having said that he would step down if he were placed under formal investigation. Instead he's decided on a Trump-like "It's all a conspiracy!" line. The BBC news here in England are saying that Le Pen is the main beneficiary of this scandal, but I totally disagree: the danger with a second round where Fillon was opposing Le Pen would be that he's so far to the Right that voters on the Left wouldn't think it worth turning out to vote at all and the usual anti-fascist consensus would crumble... it would be like telling people over here the only way to keep out Paul Nuttall would be to vote for John Redwood. Macron will restore the consensus and win by about 60/40 unless of course, weird shit happens.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Macron has not a chance to built a consensus. He is the guy who add few millions poor in France by his XIX century policy. He is a media construction and might win but building a consensus, no.
    Le Pen doesn't dare to move or speak, as each time she said something either stupid either the complete contrary of what she said 2 days before.
    Situation is volatile. We shall see...
    I will not vote for Macron. I will not vote for any member of the former government... I will not bow to the usual blackmail Le Pen or else.
    The Media and political Parties boosted Le Pen, they will deal with the result.
    Last edited by Brenus; 03-01-2017 at 21:27.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

I will not vote for Macron. I will not vote for any member of the former government... I will not bow to the usual blackmail Le Pen or else.

Bad souvenirs 2002 vintage maybe?
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Macron has not a chance to built a consensus. He is the guy who add few millions poor in France by his XIX century policy. He is a media construction and might win but building a consensus, no.
    Le Pen doesn't dare to move or speak, as each time she said something either stupid either the complete contrary of what she said 2 days before.
    Situation is volatile. We shall see...
    This is how Le Pen might get elected.

But how bad would that be really? Is she a genuine Fascist, or did she just use her father's Fascist party to advance her own political vision?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    This is how Le Pen might get elected.

But how bad would that be really? Is she a genuine Fascist, or did she just use her father's Fascist party to advance her own political vision?
    I think the old party was BNP-style, whilst the party reformed under her is closer to UKIP. A positive change, at least.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-02-2017 at 00:22.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I will not bow to the usual blackmail Le Pen or else

It took me years to figure out that is how they get you, Turkeys voting for Christmas in the fear it could be even worse.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Member thankful for this post:

Brenus 

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    Bad souvenirs 2002 vintage maybe?
    Indeed.

I will not bow to the usual blackmail Le Pen or else.
    What about fighting nazis wherever and whenever you can?

It is not only the media or the parties that will have to deal with the result, I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Indeed.
    I was in Mongolia at that time, gave my vote to my father. The familly I lived with in the steppe listened to the radio in the morning and suddenly everyone looked at me with very strange eyes. The grandfather came by me, put his hand on my shoulder and said: Le Pen. I had to find a way to tell my father NOT to vote in my name on 2nd round. I'm fine with that and would do the same if it happens again. Voting Chirac has been a trauma for so many, I'm happy (and a bit proud) I did not.

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Voting Chirac has been a trauma for so many, I'm happy (and a bit proud) I did not.
    I still have it here...

The acorn did not fall far from the oak. Front National is a composite party, one can't know, when in power, which one of the multiple factions would prevail. But there are a lot of brutes down there, eager to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    What about fighting nazis wherever and whenever you can?
    I won't fight nazis by giving my vote to a thatcherian. Oh and they are not nazis. Not fascists. Nothing like stinkin' foreign ideologies. All french. Frontists, if one must give it a name.

I still have it here...
    Cute english expression I don't know yet or just a crude translation of "je les ai encore là"?

Translation from French.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The acorn did not fall far from the oak. Front National is a composite party, one can't know, when in power, which one of the multiple factions would prevail. But there are a lot of brutes down there, eager to hurt.
    Well, we shall see or we won't.

I won't fight nazis by giving my vote to a thatcherian. Oh and they are not nazis. Not fascists. Nothing like stinkin' foreign ideologies. All french. Frontists, if one must give it a name."?
    I say this to our Americans here often - you are not special. However, that does not make the Front Fascist.

Well, we shall see or we won't.
    I'm still quite confident a Night of the Long Knives will take place inside the FN... Looks promising. Even better in the likely case of defeat.

I say this to our Americans here often - you are not special. However, that does not make the Front Fascist.
    Yep, we are all family. Especially right-wing loons are liable to look much alike nevermind the place (burmese buddhist nutters comes to mind), and still thinking THEY are the best ones.

About the FN beeing "fascist", yes it is. And Nazi. And Christian Fundamentalist. AND xenophobic gay-friendly. And many things else. As a party, it was built by Jean-Marie Le Pen alone. I don't know if his heiress will be able to keep it standing when her father will pass. Doubtful.

Translation from French.
    D'oh. Not a good english speaker enough to explain it...
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 03-03-2017 at 12:06.

About the FN being "fascist", yes it is. And Nazi. And Christian Fundamentalist. AND xenophobic gay-friendly. And many things else. As a party, it was built by Jean-Marie Le Pen alone. I don't know if his heiress will be able to keep it standing when her father will pass. Doubtful.
    You forgot the Maurassiens, the pure lunatics, GUD and similars, Royalists, anti-semitic, anti-islamists (often go with Christian Fundamentalist, I grant you this), the ones who just want to annoy others etc...

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I think the old party was BNP-style, whilst the party reformed under her is closer to UKIP. A positive change, at least.
    It's not Hitler, it's only Putin...
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

A fresh and long story-format feature on Marine Le Pen from the BBC.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    A fresh and long story-format feature on Marine Le Pen from the BBC.
    Oh, my..... BBC definitely knows how to lick the Noble's arses.

Oh, my..... BBC definitely knows how to lick the Noble's arses.
    Oh, they like to do those.

It just means she's abstractly interesting.

Nice piece of news from M. Fillon:

http://www.rfi.fr/france/20170317-co...ourgi-le-monde (speak french or google translate...)

Françafrique is not dead!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C...rique.22_today

Having a french-lebanese who is a close "friend" of the Bongo and Sassou - Ngesso families paying for his suits.
    Shameless, I say...
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 03-17-2017 at 18:45.

I really don't understand why people get so upset about the Front National. Not that there isn't anything questionable about it's roots and a good part of it's voters but they seem pretty decent to me nowadays. They are strongly against EU, good thinking I'd say the EU is getting increasingly totalitarian, more healthy nationalism please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I really don't understand why people get so upset about the Front National. Not that there isn't anything questionable about it's roots and a good part of it's voters but they seem pretty decent to me nowadays. They are strongly against EU, good thinking I'd say the EU is getting increasingly totalitarian, more healthy nationalism please.
    That is because you are not in contact with the reality of this party.
    It is not healthy nationalism as this 2 terms are in contradiction. It is pure greed,racism (so some parts, literally) hatred and stupidity.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Patriotism is one thing, nationalism is another.

Most likely it will come down to Le Pen and Macron. But the question remains - will Fillon back Macron in the second round?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

If they propped him up and gave him a nice suit, would Mitterand have a chance of beating the current crop of candidates?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

That is because you are not in contact with the reality of this party.
    It is not healthy nationalism as this 2 terms are in contradiction. It is pure greed,racism (so some parts, literally) hatred and stupidity.
    Perhaps, but I would vote on a questionable party if it gets us out of the EU, what else then the FN would there be there for me

Mitterand was talented and would eat today's candidates for breakfast... But it was 35 years ago and the man, being somme great self-seeker, would likely look more like a (talented) Macron nowadays.
    Now again Mitterand is a very mixed-up memory for the french left. For me who grew up in a neighbourhood where the Party ruled (i.e: Communist Party, there was never no other one here), his election was a sign of hope. It was only a few months before everyone realised he was a man for the financial powers. I remember that very well, and I was only seven years old at that time.

And there it goes again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_...France_attacks

One more... looks like the man was quite drunk, stoned, and coke'd (to be confirmed).
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 03-20-2017 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Perhaps, but I would vote on a questionable party if it gets us out of the EU, what else then the FN would there be there for me
    Then you should probably vote Melenchon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Luc_M%C3%A9lenchon , didn't read the article, anyway!), he is questionable on a whole lot of matters. JeanMarine beeing sure to be on the 2nd round, why not try to bring another pro-Frexit there?
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 03-20-2017 at 18:38.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast