Thread: Stunning Berserkers

Default Stunning Berserkers

I thought this was interesting. When my pikemen hit the Berserkers, you can see them stop going berserk. Have also seen it when Armoured Elephants hit my Berserkers.

Comments, anyone?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Stunning Berserkers

Being at the wrong end of a 20' Sarissa has that tendency, I think
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Being at the wrong end of a 20' Sarissa has that tendency, I think
    True that. Same for having a bunch of elephants hitting you. I guess enough shock can shock them out of berserkergang. Though Berserkers can defeat even Armoured Elephants. That battle goes either way.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

One thing to bear in mind with 1 v 1 combat...some units perform better when on the attack, particularly shock troops, which Zerkers certainly are. When I play Germania (my favorite barbarian faction), I tend to hold the Zerkers back until a spot in the enemy lines start to waver. Doesn't take long to punch a hole in that spot after committing them. I use a similar tactic with Bastarnae, as they act much like Beserkers in the shock infantry role.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    One thing to bear in mind with 1 v 1 combat...some units perform better when on the attack, particularly shock troops, which Zerkers certainly are. When I play Germania (my favorite barbarian faction), I tend to hold the Zerkers back until a spot in the enemy lines start to waver. Doesn't take long to punch a hole in that spot after committing them. I use a similar tactic with Bastarnae, as they act much like Beserkers in the shock infantry role.
    I tend not to use temple-dependent troops, but that is just me. I tried Berserkers vs Legionary Cohort, and the Cohort won, though it wiped out half the unit. I was the Cohort. The thing is, you can swing some lopsided battles using tactics. Once Berserkers go berserk, you lose control of them and cannot use tactics anymore. If I had had the Berserkers in that battle, probably the same thing would have happened, because I would not be able to control them anymore.

I have mixed results with Bastarnae. I had a full unit rout, in an even battle, upon immediate contact with Legionary Cohort. They had nothing affecting morale, I don't recall if the Romans had dogs or not. But I charged them at the LC, and as soon as they made contact my Bastarnae routed. They are decent against cavalry, though. It seems if they get hit as opposed to hitting an enemy, they aren't as effective. Very much an offensive unit, so not suited to my particular style of play. I do use them to protect my flanks, but spearmen are so much better at that, as it is always the cav they send around the flank. I tend to use my auxiliaries on the flanks, but I think Bastarnae will also be effective at hitting a phalanx that is engaged with my other troops. Certainly don't want them to be the ones engaging a phalanx first.