Thread: Advertisement: Interactive Histories in the Chapter House

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Advertisement: Interactive Histories in the Chapter House

Hey folks,

Do me a quick favor and open up a new tab for the main Gameroom page. Above all the stickies and regular posts but before the forum menu are two subforums. You might be familiar with the first: The old Gameroom Assembly Headquarters, where games are designed/balanced for your perusal, but you might not be as familiar with the second: The Chapter House.

The Chapter House has a longer and even more distinguished history on the .Org than the Gameroom itself does, and it's the repository of a certain type of long-term, freeform game known as Interactive Histories. These games vary in scope, but in general you take over an aspect of something - a country, a military grouping, a ship captain, etc - and take it through the scenario the host has designed for you. Interactive Histories are very freeform in nature, allowing you nearly total control and where you're only limited by your imagination.

Franconius is trying to start a new Interactive History - "17th Century", based one of the more popular and longer-running IHs from some time ago - and is looking for players. Here's what he has to say about the game:

Here is what it's all about.
    The story sets up at a certain age: 17th century Europe. Each player is the leader of a kingdom, for each kingdom the starting conditions will be as close to history as possible. As a ruler you can have diplomacy with other rulers, you can set up reforms, raise taxes and - of course - make war. The game is round based, all decisions are send to the host, who writes a new chapter after every turn. So you can rewrite history and lead your realm to glory or disaster.

The players are expected to have at least some interest in history, have enough self-confidence to rule a country, are willing to play with/against other selfish megalomaniac and an unjust fate, represented by the host. And of course, they should have some time to waste.
    If this sounds interesting to you, here is a link to the Chapter House, and here is the recent discussion about starting a new game.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Member thankful for this post:

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Advertisement: Interactive Histories in the Chapter House

GH, thank you for your support.

I would like to invite everyone to the new interactive about 17th century.

Playing ground is Europe in Early Modern Period, which means that the rather static rules of the Middle Ages begin to change. While dynastic rivalry remains a major source of conflicts, the reformation and the discovery of the new world add two more.

There will be several playable factions:

England, a rather small country at the edge of Europe, but also at the entrance to the new world. After the victory against Spain and and the end of internal struggles, England seems to be ready to become the dominant power in Europe.

This status once belonged to Spain, but the wars against England and the Netherlands ruined the country. However, Spain still owns the greatest colonial empire and is allied with the Holy Roman Empire. A gifted ruler may lead the country back to glory.

The Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire is, without any doubt, the most noble ruler of the world. However, doing the job is really painful. Traditionally the power is divided amongst the nobles in very complex rules. The noblemen always try to increase their independence from the realm. The power of the Emperor used to base on the strength of his homelands and the glory as a defender of the real faith. However, these days almost half of the subjects follow the doctrine of that Luther. Although there is a compromise between Catholics and Protestants, religious tensions are growing and it seems that on both sides there is an increasing willingness to solve these tensions with the sword. Located in the centre of Europe the HRE has little access to the new markets.

At Sweden, Charles defeated the former king Sigismund III and took the power of the protestant kingdom. However, Sigismund still rules Poland and Lithuania and and Charles has to prove that he is able to rule the country.

After the loss of Sweden, Sigismund III Vasa must secure his power as a King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania. Additional challenges are the unstable situation at Russia and the trade in the Baltic Sea.

I think five players are a minimum, but here could be some more (Russia, Netherlands, Denmark, Ottomans). There are already three paricipants, so we are waiting just for you.

If you have questions, don't hesitate!!!!

I love history and I can rule a country, obviously in the game world, so I think am good to go. I wanna play Greek or Egypt.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi divitorobert,

Welcome to the .Org!

Very glad you're interested in playing and sticking around. Here is the actual thread for the game, so you'll probably have more luck indicating your interest there.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Lets see if any of the old guard still react to mentions:

Are you guys still up for a revanche?
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-03-2017 at 18:14.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by divitorobert View Post
    I love history and I can rule a country, obviously in the game world, so I think am good to go. I wanna play Greek or Egypt.
    Hi divitorobert,
    welcome in the game and - by the way - welcome in the Org.

If memory serves, Greek and Egypt are both part of the Ottoman Empire.
    But Do not worry, we will find a nice country for you!!

Now we are for players. Still one position is available!

To Kage:
    The old guard may die, but she never gives up
    Last edited by Franconicus; 03-03-2017 at 19:39.

I started the game, you find it in the chapter house as "The Art of Diplomacy and War". Just post which faction you chose and begin.

All those still hesitating: You can still jump in and have fun!!

Would anybody like to take Spain?? One player is still missing!

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it's stil open I can try to catch up!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Better late than never, SwordsMaster.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013