Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Diplomacy and War

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: The Art of Diplomacy and War

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    So, can I haz into Polen, da or nie?

(@Franconicus, check your inbox!)
    You are in and welcome. Please wait a moment until I received this move. Your time begins after the next chapter!

Still waiting for France and Sweden

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

anything happening?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

No idea! There are several rumours:
    1) The French King spends the holidays with his maitresses in bed.
    2) He is with his troops on the way to lay besiege on La Rochelle.
    3) He caught the plague.

Come on, Kage!

Members thankful for this post (2):

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I can't substitute for all players, even if I do like playing with myself.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Members thankful for this post (3):

I assume Kage is ill, otherwise he would have told us why he cannot send his orders. I suggest to wait until the end of the week.

In the meantime, El Barto will get the leadership of the (Free) Netherlands.
    You can already begin to contact him and exchange diplomatic notes.

Member thankful for this post:

Arjos 

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    In the meantime, El Barto will get the leadership of the (Free) Netherlands.
    No, no, no such gestures worthy of the Roman Empire. The Low Countries shall be free and equal, free of the tyranny of the Catholic Church and their Habsburg puppets. The entirety of the lands will be free, safe from sea, from man and from beast, and from religious intolerance. Long live the Reformation, may it shine the light on you all.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Could we have the player list in the OP updated? I'm reading through the thread -I might have to take notes.

Began to write the new chapter! Still waiting for France, though!!

I'll put me clogs on.

I'll put me clogs on.
    If you're ready you can make your introduction post.

I don't have any introduction written. I thought I would start play after this update.

Chapter 3 – Anno Domini 1605

Rome

In the year of the Lord 1605 the rift inside Christianity expands as James, King of England and Scotland, claims both the secular and the spiritual power. Pope Clement VIII vetoes this. While this dispute is going on Clement dies, some say due to the affront of James.

The Papal conclave comes together and elects Alessandro Ottaviano de’ Medici with the votes of the German and Spanish cardinals. He is consecrated as Leo XI on April 1st. Leo is known as a moderate and people expect him to ease the conflict inside Christianity. However, after a papacy of 27 days, Leo XI dies and leaves Christianity unshepherded once again. Most of the Catholics recognize that the death of two popes in a single year forebodes bad times and in dead it is obvious that evil times are imminent.

The cardinals return to Rome. This time they elect 63 year old Roberto Bellarmino. He is a well educated Jesuit and as Urban VIII he leaves no doubt that he is willing to match for the evil.

HRE & Austria

In the meantime Kaiser Rudolf renders a judgement in the case of Donauwoerth: the town has to repay the damage of the Catholics. However, April shows that this does not guarantee peace. This year the Catholic Marcus procession is bigger than last year, as many Catholics from Bavaria came to join the procession. Protestant sources report that many of the visitors are armed. The habitants of Donauwoerth are well prepared though and close the city doors once again. The Catholics insist on the imperial judgement and try to open the gates with force, but when Protestant militia appears on the city wall, the Catholics have to withdraw. Immediately, the Bishop of Augsburg sends a message to the Bavarian Prince Elector who immediately sends an agent to the Kaiser to demand to place the town under the Imperial Ban.

Kaiser Rudolf II congregates with the Catholic and Protestant Imperial clergy asking their help in preventing the people to come to violence. The Kaiser points out the need for the Imperial clergy to support the crown and peace, against the papal Jesuits, which would otherwise foment chaos and minimize the Imperial clergy authority. The clergy do not respond as the Kaiser expects. The Protestants point to the fact, that Jesuits may not operate on Protestant areas, so that the wish of the Kaiser is irrelevant to them. However, they support the idea that Jesuits should be banned from all territories of the Empire. This is something that upsets the Catholics. They remind the Emperor that received his power by the mercy of the Lord through the hands of the catholic church and that his most important and most noble task is to support the spreading of the Catholic teachings by word and by sword.

During the meeting still takes place the Kaiser announces that he is going to adopt his 19 year old cousin Leopold. Leopold is also appointed as heir and the Kaiser is looking for an appropriate marriage.

In the beginning of May, Maximilian of Bayern arrives with news from Donauwoerth. These ends the dialogue between the two confessions, as the Catholics demand the immediate punishment of the city while the Protestants blame the Catholics for the escalation. Maximilian of Bayern offers to send forces to enforce an Imperial ban on Donauwoerth.

The announcement of the adoption of Leopold causes trouble within the house of Habsburg. Rudolf's brothers Maximilian and Matthias and his cousin Ferdinand make a pact against the Kaiser. They demand to meet the Emperor at Prague to discuss the succession. However, Matthias first travels to Hungary to deal with the revolt there. Furthermore there are news that new troops are recruited at Austria.

There are also bad news from Mainz – Black Death returned and about a dozen citizens dies. The Bishop of Mainz acts immediately and expulses the Jews. Their property is confiscated.

Turkish War
    According the decision of last year troops of the Reichsarmee gather near Vienna. The building up is rather slow and especially troops from the northern provinces of the realm are still missing. In September, there are 9,000 men in camps around Vienna waiting for further orders.
    The Imperial Field-marshal Hermann von Russwurm does not wait for the enforcement from the Reich. He had used winter to organize his supply and to build river boats. In spring he begins his operation against the Turks. He leaves 5,000 men at Raab and advances with 30,000 men to Komorn and further to Gran (Esztergom). Here he lays siege on the Ottoman fort. Additionally he sends his avant-garde towards Buda. His reconnaisance reports that the Ottoman sultan gathers an army east of Buda, but that the Ottoman army is not ready for combat. Russwurm decides immediately to use this chance. Leaving a small besiege detachment at Gran he hurries to Buda to attack the Ottoman army. He takes them by surprise and soon the Ottoman troops disperse. Russwurm makes his cavalry haunt them while the rest of the army lay besiege on Buda. Soon, bad news stops his operations.

From Transylvania there is an upraise against the Habsburg reign. The leader, Stephen Bocskai, a prince of Transylvania and Hungary, formerly a follower of Habsburg, realizes that his home is destroyed by the never-ending wars between Habsburg and the Turks, suck dry by taxation. Furthermore the population does not accept the policy of Rudolf, who tries to settle men from the Empire here to “Germanize” the country.
    The local commander sends 300 Haydus to arrest Bocskai, but Bocskai is able to convince them to join him. Bocskai gathers support of the local princes and soon he occupies several towns in the Partium.
    Bocskai issues a proclamation to the noblemen from Kassa, reminding them the tyrannical acts of Rudolph and his officials. The delegates of the counties and towns of Upper Hungary come to Kassa and vote the necessary funds to continue the fight. Kaiser Rudolf offers Bocskai amnesty and an official title, but Bocskai refuses.
    Therefore Russwurm is forced to send an army of 10,000 to stop the anti-Habsburg rebellion. The disciplined Habsburg army defeats a troop of Hajdús near Osgyán.

In September Lala Mehmed Pasha's envoy who hands the sultan's ahidnâme (or charter) to Bocskai, which styles him prince of Transylvania. Lala Mehmed Pasha also sends reinforcements to Bocskai.

This gives Boscai the opportunity to start an offensive operation. Bocskai's army captures Nagyszombat (now Trnava in Slovakia), Sümeg, Szombathely, Veszprém and other towns in Transdanubia and also pillaged Lower Austria, Moravia and Silesia. Bocskai`s troop threaten the city of Pressburg. Russwurm has to break up the besiege of Buda and call his troops back to defend Pressburg. The Ottoman army uses this opportunity to break the siege of Gran and lay siege on Raab.

In December Rudolf's brother Matthias arrives at Pressburg to organize the defence. He also gets in contact with Bocskai to negotiate a truce.

Spain

At Madrid, Philip III greets a delegation of nobles from Portugal. These give him their wishes regarding the support of the colonies, esp. the protection of bases and ships against Dutch raids.

At Seville there is some unrest when a plot of Moriscos is foiled. These have tried to poison the wells of the town. Three Moriscos are killed and several houses burn down.

The Dutch War slows down this year. Both parties discuss the possibility of a truce and at the front of Flanders it is relatively quiet. In October Spinola attacks and occupies the fort Wachtendonk.
    The war at sea continues. A Spanish fleet based at Gibraltar catches the Dutch convoy from South-East Asia and sinks three ships. In return, the Dutch attack a Spanish convoy in the Channel and sink 1 galleon and 2 small ships. At Asia a fleet of the Dutch Trade Company commanded by Steven van der Hagen attacks the fort of the Ambon Island and occupies the island.
    As an answer to this, Phillip gives orders to strengthen the fortifications in the Far East.

A Royal Committee to investigate the situation of the natives in America comes to the result, that it is best for the natives if they are converted to Christians, if necessary by violence. It is pointed out that these natives are not able to live free so it is proposed to give them into the keeping of Spanish grandees. There they shall learn how to work and how to become useful members of the Spanish society. The Jesuit members of the committee are contrary to this. The natives should be taught to the Catholic teachings and then should live freely in their own communities under the eye of the church and the protection of the crown.

England & Scotland

Although war with Spain is over, James asks the parliaments of England and Spain to introduce new taxes to increase the armed forces.

The English parliament discusses his proposals controversially. In general, demanding 8 million gulden seems far too much. This would mean that the English taxes raise about 60%. Parliament offers a compromise. Taxes shall be raised by 5 million. 3 million of this shall be invested in the navy. Furthermore the parliament decides that a new trade company shall be found to explore and exploit America. The remaining 2 million from the tax shall be the share of the crown, additionally 5 million shall be raised by private investors.

Scottish noblemen found the Royal Scottish Trade Company to exploit the Caribbean Islands. The new company invests 2 million and would raise another million by taxes. The new company buys and arms 5 small ships and hires volunteers for an expedition in 1606.

At Ireland war is over. Ireland is exhausted and there is currently no one able to resist. James tries to pacify the country by renewing the authority of the old clan leaders, which had fought England before.

All these issues are in the background of the religious conflict. After affronting the pope by claiming universal power for the king, James makes all Jesuits leave England, Scotland and Ireland. There are still three Jesuits imprisoned at Dover Castle. Catholic priest which are visiting the prisoners of Dover are under permanent observation by the secret service. Noblemen expressing Papal loyalties are arrested for incitement against the crown and treason.
    These continuous attacks against their religion provoke of opposition. 20 knights from North-West England write a letter to the King in which they express their loyalty to the Pope and demand religious freedom. The English authorities send out troops to arrest these traitors. Five of them were killed during the action at Chester Castle, 15 more are imprisoned at London Tower. Soon Chester becomes a place of pilgrimage, where Catholics admire the Five Martyrs of Chester.

In September secret serves discovers and prevents a plot against the English parliament. The
    plotters had the intention to kill the King by blowing up parliament by an explosion of gunpowder. Several traitors are arrested, some were killed.

After this event, there were riots at London and many other English town, where Protestants attacked Catholics on the street, churches were plundered and religious pictures destroyed. At several town houses burst into flames.

Shocked by these events and the restrictive policy of the English government many Catholics try to leave the country for France or Spain.

France

At France, the rift between Huguenots and Catholics is getting bigger. The Huguenots are disappointed that the King supports the Catholics which had attacked and injured several workers of the Huguenots. They feel that they must defend themselves and their rights by themselves as the crown is obviously not willing to protect them against violence acts. They stop the building of the new church, but more turmoil begins when an nearby Catholic church burns down. As revenge Catholics set light to several houses of Huguenots and 13 people die. In reply Huguenots call up their militias and prepare the defence of La Rochelle and the other strongholds. Many Huguenots leave the country, though, and go to the Netherlands or the Protestant north of the HRE.

Russia

The false Dmitri is defeated and killed in a battle west of Moscow. However, Csar Godunow is wounded deadly and the Boyars begin to fight for the power.

Poland

The Sejm dethrones Sigismund and offers the crown to Matthias, the brother of the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Sigismund does not accept this and gathers his army to defend the crown.

Sweden

It is rather quiet here, but the troubles at Russia and Poland decrease the Baltic Sea trade and leads to economic problems. Therefore the King is forced to reduce his armed forces.

Members thankful for this post (3):

I don't have any introduction written. I thought I would start play after this update.
    Now you can!

Dutch Republic has 1.5 million citizens.

I think we should have a faster game. Deadline on Sunday, right?

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Coming weekend is quite busy for me. I would ask for two days more. Say Tuesday next week. Next Saturday is even better. I hope that won't be too big of a problem...
    R.I.P. Tosa...

This is exam week, so I'll be around to start making sense of this in the weekend, hopefully. I should be able to meet a Sunday deadline. Should.

Alright, let's make Wednesday!

So, tomorrow I am supposed to post here, or not, or what…?

(it is already most vexing that those Spaniards have not yet taken the chance to engage in any diplomacy to extricate themselves from this quagmire)

Blog Entries

We hear that the Northern Low Provinces are interested in talks. The governments Spain and Portugal are willing to accept and hear the representatives of the Northern Low Provinces. We would like to point out two major points of the talks. Any proposal to leave the fellow Catholics in the Southern Part of the Low Provinces will be rejected. The terms should include the return of the Ambon Island to the Spanish Crown. For the rest, we are interested in discussing terms.

H.M.C.M.

Philip III of Spain and II of Portugal

P.S. I would like to humbly request the deadline be extended until the end of the week. Work and some personal issues prevented me from complying before Wednesday.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 05-10-2017 at 21:22.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Cobra View Post
    We hear that the Northern Low Provinces are interested in talks. The governments Spain and Portugal are willing to accept and hear the representatives of the Northern Low Provinces. We would like to point out two major points of the talks. Any proposal to leave the fellow Catholics in the Southern Part of the Low Provinces will be rejected. The terms should include the return of the Ambon Island to the Spanish Crown. For the rest, we are interested in discussing terms.

H.M.C.M.

Return to the Spanish crown? As far as we understand it in the civilised, non-fanatic, properly religious parts of the world, Ambon Island was taken from the weak-minded and poorly-armed Portuguese by our heroic traders. Without firing a single shot, it should be remembered.

I already received orders from HRE and England.

According to PC's wish deadline will be end of the week.

If you want to negotiate with France, contact me (Kage is still missed in action!)

Still waiting for Dutch self introduction!!!

Blog Entries

Return to the Spanish crown? As far as we understand it in the civilised, non-fanatic, properly religious parts of the world, Ambon Island was taken from the weak-minded and poorly-armed Portuguese by our heroic traders. Without firing a single shot, it should be remembered.
    It is weird how you take a fortress without a single shot. It seems you have been deceived by exaggerated reports. This may actually not be the first time the Dutch East India Company uses dishonest methods in our war. We should remind the world of the numerous acts of piracy committed by the Dutch East India company. While we are still open to dialogue, we can not bear such kind of offensive behavior against one of the peoples under our rule. We can not also hide our confusion: the chief representative of the Northern Low Provinces talks of peace and at the same time he does his best to sabotage any peace efforts. Could the Stadthouder of the Northern Provinces dare to clarify his position before the world?

His Most Catholic Majesty

Last edited by Prince Cobra; 05-11-2017 at 20:39.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Still waiting for Dutch self introduction!!!
    We here, men of the Low Countries, which, hopefully, will one day be known as the Low Country (Nederlands), are men who don't only wear clogs, but good plate and nice hats when needed. We are not Spaniards, that we assure you, and will not rest until such day and hour as the illegitimate occupiers of this land are fleeing, dead, or Reformed. We can count on the support of many, many friends oppressed by Habsburg and other monarchs, friends of great piety and ample means to cover our backs, and will not give up on our quest for the freedom to choose our own religion, the freedom to rule ourselves, the freedom to conduct our business and establish our factories wherever that may be, whatever the wine-imbibing Popish authorities might have to say regarding spheres of influence awarded to the houses of Avis and Österrijk, and the freedom to wear clogs instead of those ridiculous shoes the Spaniards wear. We shall be independent and prosperous, the richest country in the world. God shall guide the Nederland to its rightful place as one of the great among the free!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Cobra View Post
    His Most Catholic Majesty
    That is the problem right there in your way of thinking, O Popish One: you have not been enlightened by the teachings of Calvijn. The ignorant thinks of all as being in the same condition as he. What piracy? Surely beating you to the first place among the traders in the East Indies (also, it is an interesting observation to make, you refer to the Portuguese as your subjects rather than your equals). The hipocrisy of the Spanish crown would be laughable if not for the number of mindless mind-slaves whom they command: was it not only two decades ago that they attacked the English without even declaring war?

Waiting for Spain!

Pah, the eighty years aren't even up yet. ;)

Blog Entries

Orders sent!

Sorry for the delay.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Great! Still have some questions though, but work is in progress!

OOC: Given that this is the first time I've sent in orders, if there's anything that remains unclear, drop me a line.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast