Thread: "Etruscan Identity and Service in the Roman Army: 300 - 100 BCE"...

Default "Etruscan Identity and Service in the Roman Army: 300 - 100 BCE"...

Michael Taylor again uploaded a paper (just a preview) you might find interesting (for modelling soldiers?). This time he argues Etruscan elites on vase paintings etc. are clearly depicted as being rather Hellenised than Roman, while infantrymen and lower class soldiers wear either mixed panoply or even cannot be discriminated from other Roman soldiers. (I guess that supports a view that Hellenistic culture was regarded as an elite identity in the mediterranean west, too, but didn't develope as much influence as in the east - probably due to the rise of Rome.)

Anyway, I guess some of you do have access to JStore for the complete text.
    https://www.academia.edu/16608087/Et...my_300-100_BCE

Edit: here's also one about Roman battle formation which tries to make sense of the manipular gaps when fighting phalanxes: https://www.academia.edu/1602947/Rom...A_Reassessment
    Last edited by Lysandros; 03-18-2017 at 08:24.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Members thankful for this post (3):

Default Re: "Etruscan Identity and Service in the Roman Army: 300 - 100 BCE"...

I'm pretty sure that this article would be interesting but I'm no longer at the uni and so I no longer have access to JSTOR. Much to my annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this article would be interesting but I'm no longer at the uni and so I no longer have access to JSTOR. Much to my annoyance.
    If you're really interested in the article, just send an email asking for the PDF to Michael Taylor. He is offering just that when you follow the first link. Don't be afraid to do so, most scholars react happily to people interested in their work.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    If you're really interested in the article, just send an email asking for the PDF to Michael Taylor. He is offering just that when you follow the first link. Don't be afraid to do so, most scholars react happily to people interested in their work.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll pass on this one.