Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Season 4 of the Mafia Championships - nomination thread [Update: Season 5]

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Season 4 of the Mafia Championships - nomination thread [Update: Season 5]

Hey gang,

Due to our overall awesomeness, the .Org has once again been invited to take part in the annual Mafia Championships over at Mafia Universe (a site that our own Askthepizzaguy had no small hand in forming). We're looking to send over a representative who will fly our flag, so this thread will serve as a nomination thread as well as a general FAQ.

Here's what the admin and overall organizer, Thingyman, has to say:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

I would very much like to invite your community to take part in Season 4 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

I hope that all this sounds very exciting to you guys :)

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 13 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 22.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate.
    • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.

1. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure

• 105 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • 7 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 7 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
    • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, four players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
    • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS
    12 Vanilla Townies
    3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

Relevant mechanics info

• Day start.
    • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
    • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
    • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).

1. Season 4 Timeline

The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

Kind regards,
    Thingyman

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Skype (thingyman) or Discord (Thingyman#6075).

ORG SPECIFIC FAQ:

What the heck does "Mountainous" mean?
    It means "vanilla". Just town and mafia, no other roles. These setups will very much be in the style of a classic GH game (not Pirate Ship/French Revolution Mafia, the really old stuff).

What should I expect if I do this?
    Every championships game is different, but be prepared for a lot of posts. My qualifying game last year had 17 people and 3,600 posts over 5 and a half day phases (around two weeks). If you progress to the wild card and/or finale, that number will probably only go up. The overall atmosphere will probably be more rough-and-tumble than what we're used to here, though this will vary based on player composition.

What's the .Org's history with this event?
    I'm glad you asked! We've sent representatives for all three iterations of the tournament so far, and several of our players have represented other forums they play on too, meaning our progress toward world domination is one step closer. Askthepizzaguy and Zack made it to the finale in Season 2, and Visor and I followed in their footsteps last year. I'll be honest: I want to keep this streak going.

Me too! .Org pride! So what happens next?
    That's the spirit!
    As finalists from the previous year, Visor and I are ineligible, though everyone else is fair game. Ideally our nomination should go to the person who meets the following criteria:
    a) Someone who wants to go.
    b) Someone who is comfortable with the requirements.
    c) Someone who the community backs as a worthy representative of the .Org.

"Worthy representative" is intentionally undefined here. The point of this series is to foster cross-community relationships and expand our horizons when it comes to Mafia.

Is there any criteria towards nominating someone besides the above points?
    No. We have a lot of very good Mafia players here, some who are familiar with Mafia Universe and some who aren't. This should not be a mark for or against anybody - just last year both Visor (who has played games across like a million forums) and I (literally only ever played on the .Org for ten years) made the finals. I'm also not restricting the nomination period to someone who has or has not done well in recent games. Basically, use your best judgement.

How will the representative/alternate ultimately be decided?
    We'll see if there's consensus and go from there.

Okay, great! Who are you nominating, GH?
    I have a couple of ideas, but I don't want to turn the OP into a referendum on certain people's skills/qualities. I'll chime in at some point during the process but will allow you guys to go first.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Default Re: Season 4 of the Mafia Championships - nomination thread

Is anyone going to nominate anyone other than Renata? No? K we're sending Renata.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Now we can talk about who's representing CFC. I nominate Winston.

I'm guessing DP will rep realms beyond.

On a sidenote, all joking aside I've already represented CFC/Org in past seasons, and I've been nominated to represent MU, so I'd rather not represent one of our sites except as a last resort.
    Last edited by Zack; 04-04-2017 at 01:31.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I formally nominate Double A as our representative.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Member thankful for this post:

Snerk 

Facilitating Understanding Member Dp101's Avatar

I'll probably represent RB, yes, as there weren't that many others jumping at the chance last year. I'm perfectly fine with Renata representing the org, but I would also be ok with Choxorn given recent events, as well as Montmorency as another example of good, solid play.

good, solid play.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I think Renata/Choxorn/Monty would be excellent choices if they want to participate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Now we can talk about who's representing CFC. I nominate Winston.
    Probably better to choose someone who isn't nailed on for a D1 lynching.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I think Renata/Choxorn/Monty would be excellent choices if they want to participate.
    I would support also any of these three.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

Nominate choxorn or Montmorency.

I'll be honest: a large part of me would like to play but I'm terrified of letting the site down, particularly if I rand wolf. I've only been wolf [bleeped -- I'm in two games elsewhere] number of times since returning, and it hasn't afforded a lot of practice, on top of there being several things about the role that I was never good at.

So yeah. Anyone who seriously wants me to play would have to contend with that.

Choxorn and Montmorency are both capable players on either side of the rand. Personally I would love to see Montmorency get another shot at it just due to loving his quirky take on the game.

Montmorency would also be an excellent choice, but after his performance in French Revolution, I have to go with choxorn
    My game on Civfanatics could use a few more!: MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade!

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Montmorency would also be an excellent choice, but after his performance in French Revolution, I have to go with choxorn
    Montmorency also had a good mafia performance last years but that was as my partner so I still like him, whereas choxorn did it as my opponent (and alone, apparently the MU people would be against two players insieme). Therefore, choxorn must swing.

(and if we win, we'll say it was our idea all along).
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Csargo 

If not Renata, then it should be Choxorn.

I've *cough* tried my hand at this before.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Renata
    Winston

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but, unless they move the championships to August this year, I won't be able to commit the time required to do it any kind of justice.

Choxorn is on a roll this year. He's my pick for CFC's candidate if he wants to play.

Redshirt Member Smack the Rabbit Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Gunman Champion, Fly Sui Champion, The Streaker Champion, Ninja Turtles 1 Champion, Speedy Thief Champion, War In Iraq Champion, Yankee Go Home Champion Logic's Avatar

I represent better GiantitP, though not as a/the champion, just speaking as that is my native forum, and am only an immigrant here, so my vote may be moot. Rambling words ramble

What I saw of Choxorn leads me to believe that he would be a worthy nominee. I doubt he will not make it to the finals round.
    Aliases Yakostovian

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since Monty's (apparently) taken himself out of the running, the two main consensus candidates appear to be Renata and Choxorn - so far the consensus pretty much matches my thoughts for the reasons stated.

I'd also like to acknowledge Askthepizzaguy's successful string of mafia performances to close out 2016, but I suspect he'll decline due to time considerations.

I don't presume to have any insight as to CFC, but I think some combination of Renata and Choxorn representing the .Org and CFC would be excellent choices.

And Renata, don't worry about letting or not letting the site down - it's for fun first and foremost, after all. I don't speak for everybody, but as Official Official Person of the Gameroom, I'll speak in official capacity when I say that as long as you go in and don't get banned due to bad behavior, you won't let anyone down. That's what I'm more concerned about instead of gameplay, and I know that Renata and Choxorn (and everyone else here) is exemplary in that regard.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Members thankful for this post (5):

I would love to see Renata represent CFC, but if she doesn't want to, I'm willing to. It would be good for me to get out of my typical play style with the 10 post requirement :)

To be clear, you will be expected to post far above the minimum. If you just post 10 times a day you'll be lynched.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Since Monty's (apparently) taken himself out of the running, the two main consensus candidates appear to be Renata and Choxorn - so far the consensus pretty much matches my thoughts for the reasons stated.

I'd also like to acknowledge Askthepizzaguy's successful string of mafia performances to close out 2016, but I suspect he'll decline due to time considerations.

I don't presume to have any insight as to CFC, but I think some combination of Renata and Choxorn representing the .Org and CFC would be excellent choices.

And Renata, don't worry about letting or not letting the site down - it's for fun first and foremost, after all. I don't speak for everybody, but as Official Official Person of the Gameroom, I'll speak in official capacity when I say that as long as you go in and don't get banned due to bad behavior, you won't let anyone down. That's what I'm more concerned about instead of gameplay, and I know that Renata and Choxorn (and everyone else here) is exemplary in that regard.
    @Renata @Choxorn

I followed last year's games, so yes, I am aware of that :) I think Renata would be a better choice if she's willing to

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    And Renata, don't worry about letting or not letting the site down - it's for fun first and foremost, after all. I don't speak for everybody, but as Official Official Person of the Gameroom, I'll speak in official capacity when I say that as long as you go in and don't get banned due to bad behavior, you won't let anyone down.
    I agree. If you can't troll without getting caught then you deserve no respect at all. Not even capturing the avatar would restore your honour.

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

That posting requirement will be a little rough, but I'll manage. I'm sure I can find a way to be more talkative than I usually do.

I'd be happy to accept this nomination, and represent either this site or CFC in the Mafia Championships.

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

Okay.

Please don't laugh at me.

Blog Entries

Excellent! We're right behind you guys all the way.

I think autolycus would also make for a fine alternate should circumstances compel either of you to drop out.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Renata View Post
    Okay.

Please don't laugh at me.
    I'll only laugh at you when you're not looking, because you asked nicely.

Looks like you guys did not need my counsel to make the right choices

All the best to Renata and Choxorn! have fun!

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild baby.

But thanks for the acknowledgement. :thumbs: Where are my thumbs up smileys?

I don't want to see people pick on choxorn for being a low poster, because some good performances and guesses got overshadowed last year by constant complaints about post count, which makes people not want to post even more. So choxorn, I'm injecting you with some of my blood. I demand that you poast moar than usual.

Only so they will get off your back and you'll actually be able to have more fun. :hugs:

There's nothing wrong with your play style as it is. It's not like you're lacking in recent wins... :smirk: It just drains me when I see people bashing good players that I know just for not spamming 100 posts a day. It makes me want to throw things at them. Like lightning bolts.

You must be my lightning bolt.

And Renata, all I ask is that you personally kill everyone there. Lynch and murder. Be absolutely brutal, they'll never suspect it was you all along. Because it wasn't, right? It was probably choxorn...
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    You must be my lightning bolt.
    You have delusions of ineloquence, my farinaceous friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast