Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season 4 of the Mafia Championships - nomination thread [Update: Season 5]

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Default Re: Season 4 of the Mafia Championships - nomination thread

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    You must be my lightning bolt.
    You have delusions of ineloquence, my farinaceous friend.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

I don't know if I can match your textwalling, Pizza, but I can certainly try to post enough to satisfy some of the crazy people out there!

100 times a day I don't know I can promise, I got other stuff to do, but I'll see what I can manage.

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild baby.

But thanks for the acknowledgement. :thumbs: Where are my thumbs up smileys?

I don't want to see people pick on choxorn for being a low poster, because some good performances and guesses got overshadowed last year by constant complaints about post count, which makes people not want to post even more. So choxorn, I'm injecting you with some of my blood. I demand that you poast moar than usual.

Only so they will get off your back and you'll actually be able to have more fun. :hugs:

There's nothing wrong with your play style as it is. It's not like you're lacking in recent wins... :smirk: It just drains me when I see people bashing good players that I know just for not spamming 100 posts a day. It makes me want to throw things at them. Like lightning bolts.

You must be my lightning bolt.

And Renata, all I ask is that you personally kill everyone there. Lynch and murder. Be absolutely brutal, they'll never suspect it was you all along. Because it wasn't, right? It was probably choxorn...
    It was always choxorn. I'm pure as the driven snow. :)

Thanks for the pep talk.

Facilitating Understanding Member Dp101's Avatar

Looks like I'll face you two in the competition. Good luck! I'm sure you'll solidly beat me.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dp101 View Post
    Looks like I'll face you two in the competition. Good luck! I'm sure you'll solidly beat me.
    Remind me whom you are standing for, you traitor.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Facilitating Understanding Member Dp101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Remind me whom you are standing for, you traitor.
    RB.

glgl all

crush the non believers
    "How dare you dodge the barrel!"

Update on The Mafia Championship

Exciting news: We are expanding to 150 participating communities, which is more than last season. In fact, we may even go for 165 communities depending on how some invitations go.

On that note, if you know of a community that might be interested in participating and isn't on the list in the linked post, let me know and I'll be happy to give them an invitation: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...=1#post1070949

Since none of the representatives chosen at this point have indicated that they can only play if their game starts April 24, I have made the decision that the qualifying phase won't begin until May 1st in order to allow me more time to get everything properly organized and to get all representatives properly prepared. This will have no impact on the overall schedule for this season; the qualifying phase will still be wrapped up by early July, after which we dive into the wildcard games followed by the finale game.

As for how to spectate your representative, I'll get back to you with more info on that, but cliffs: Your community may of course create your own private spectator chat (that your rep can't access), but the general spectator chat (where all communities gather and chat together) will be on Discord this year. If you want an invite to the server already now, just write me.

UPDATE ON MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP

Originally, the plan was for this season to feature 135 communities. We will now have 165 participating communities, which means that this season alone we will have more different communities represented than all other seasons combined. Approximately 60 communities are participating for the very first time. Of the returning communities, about a dozen of them are resending a previous representative, while the rest are all sending fresh faces.

As a result of how big this season has gotten, we'll have more games to look forward to than ever before. We will have 11 qualifying games, 2 wildcard games and 1 finale game = 14 games in total.

All kinds of communities are partipating. Besides the sites dedicated specifically to mafia, we have forums dedicated to popular entertainment, sports, poker, board games, online games, video games, role playing, LEGO, personality type testing, stick figure animations, science, atheism, music, mathematics, comics, students, etc. Some of these communities started playing mafia more than a decade ago; Others just started this year.

Despite this being a forum event, we will also have communities that play the game via various chat clients (Discord, Telegram, IRC, custom, etc.) and via webcam (with games often streamed on Twitch.tv). And not least, there are communities centered around mafia game variants that you can buy on Steam (Town of Salem and Throne of Lies).

This season will also have the biggest international scope yet. For the very first time we will have representatives from Romania, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Ukraine and Czechia as well as our first person representing a Japanese community. We even have our first Native American.

In addition to this, we of course welcome back countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Italy, Indonesia, South Africa and Ireland, meaning that we'll have more than 20 different countries represented in total.

Final reminder: If your community hasn't picked a representative yet, your deadline is by the end of tomorrow (April 23).

Next update: I am hoping very much I will have all the info I need from all of the representatives by Wednesday at the latest next week. Assuming I do, I will schedule all the qualifying games on this day and get back to you with your representative's start date.

Today's the final day. Please lemme know as soon as you can who the rep is :)

I am repping, since Renata got busy. Here's my draft bio. People please give me feedback/suggestions

NATIONALITY: 'Merican

STARTED PLAYING MAFIA (YEAR): 2009

HAVE PLAYED MAFIA ON THE FOLLOWING SITES: civfanatics, twcenter, giantitp, the .org

BIO:
    Hailing from the swamps of civfanatics NotW, auto has built up a reputation as a semi-lurker who either gets killed early or emerges late with detailed (and usually wrong) analysis of scum-teams. The prospect of being forced into the high-talk realm of the championships drew him, like a moth to a bug-zapper.
    My game on Civfanatics could use a few more!: MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade!

Members thankful for this post (2):

FINAL UPDATE

Your representative has been slotted into this game below.

GAME 10 @ JUNE 5 (72/24 Phase Lengths w/ 7 PM EST deadline)
    @Amanuensis (17th Shard) @autolycus (The Org)
    @Azure (Stickpage) @brandon (Supercell Games: Clash of Clans)
    @enderfive (EscapeRestart) @Jonyj1005 (Art of Problem Solving)
    @lute (Mafia Universe) @Makaze (Serenes Forest)
    @Midorikawa (Bulbagarden) @Musicneverdies (Braingle)
    @Shapelog (Team Liquid) @Tammy (westeros)
    @TheParanoidAndroid (Town of Salem Forums)
    @Voxxicus (Dark Lord Potter)
    @[NSM] Nocturne (NSM Forums)

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
    We have a big chat on Discord (300+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg
    2) Tag one of the red or blue people in the chat (write @Thingyman or @staff for example), let them know who you are and from what community, and they'll give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel.

You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
    This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Where do I get more info?
    Refer to this thread: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...Time-Is-Now%21

This thread will tell you all the details about this season. It also includes the list of participating communities and their representatives.

If you need to get in contact with me, my Skype is "thingyman" and my Discord is "Thingyman#6075". From this point on I will be checking in less on the various sites. I will make sure to pop in again though when your representative's game starts and post a link :)

The Championship Game Has Begun!

Hi guys!

Your representative's Mafia Championship game has started and it's still Day 1: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...a-Championship

I wish them the best of luck.

Remember to please keep discussion of the game to private channels where the players wouldn't be able to see your comments on the game.

Also, if you want to spectate the game along with people from other communities, you can join the Discord server here (600+ people): https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg​

When you enter the server please tag and let the @staff know which community you are from and who you are cheering on and they'll give you access to the spectator channel :)

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The last of the qualifying Champs games has concluded, so I can finally put forth a report on how our familiar faces did:

- In Game 2, Choxorn (representing CFC) was mislynched as town on D5, but never stopped pushing his cases and generally putting forth effort despite a tough game (always hard to do when it's not going your way) and conducted himself admirably in both the regular game and a contentious postgame.
    - In Game 4, Dp101 (representing Realms Beyond) was part of the winning mafia team, did a lot of the scum's dirty work that game, and managed to last until D5 until he was lynched at 3am his time and wasn't able to mount a defense.
    - In Game 10, autolycus (representing the .Org) was mislynched as town on D1, but managed to correctly scumread all three mafia faction members in that game before he died.
    - In Game 11, Sooh (representing Dragonmount) was also mislynched as town on D1, but that town also never had a chance as they ended up getting swept. In addition, Sooh kept a cool head in the face of one of the most aggravating and head-scratching "cases" I've ever seen in my life, a trait which is severely underrated and which I probably would not be able to replicate under the circumstances.

Congrats to all four for participating!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Members thankful for this post (6):

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

That's...

Actually a really impressive performance from all 4. I wasn't closely aware of some of those.

Well done guys. We have quality peoples here.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Hey, seeing what they were up against it's not a bad performance at all.

What did choxie schmoxie do in the postgame?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dp101 and autolycus have made the wildcards. Their torture intensifies...
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

CsargoZack 

Million Dollar Baby Member Champ's Avatar

auto auto auto

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Get lynched d1, advance to wild card. Auto goat. #theprophesy

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

What happens when you're that good, and get lynched d1

Wildcard baby

That's the clearest signal that town did a bad.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Csargo 

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Get lynched d1, advance to wild card. Auto goat. #theprophesy
    Eight years a lurker, one day a player, forever a legend.

Since nobody's backing Dp so far I'll take his side just to be contrarian.

Dp101 

Million Dollar Baby Member Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    did you vandalize public property to do that?

Nah, GH is a potentate.

In case you didn't already know, your representative advanced to the wildcard game, and that game has now started! We're halfway through Day 1: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...a-Championship

If you want to join the spectator chat, there's a link to the Discord in the OP of the game thread. We're approx. 700 people on the server, and it's lots of fun :)

Quick Mafia Championship Update

For those who didn't follow the Mafia Championship to the end, Dels from GameFAQs ended up winning the fourth season. He will be receiving a winner's certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of Mafia.

Hydra Event 2017 - Interested?

As some of you may recall, last year 220 players from dozens of different communities participated in the first ever cross-community Hydra Event. It was a big success and people have been wanting another one, so... It's finally here! :)

If you don't know what "hydra" means, it's when two people share the same account (two heads). So the concept is that each participating community can send multiple hydras if they want, each consisting of two players, which tends to make the game more fun in addition to making it easier to be active since two players are playing on the same account.

Sign-ups will be open for next couple of weeks.

If you'd like to play, just find a partner and lemme know either here or in the thread below.

More info here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/...dra-Event-2017

Blog Entries

Casting resurrect on this thread because we're invited for Season 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingyman
    INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 5)

Hello there! :)

It is with great pleasure that I hereby invite your community to take part in Season 5 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The whole thing started back in 2013, and since then more than 225+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

I hope it sounds like a fun and exciting event :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITE?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 1. If this is too soon for you to decide on anyone, let me know and we can work something out.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 5 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 170 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • 10 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 10 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd places will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
    • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 4 will discuss and vote to determine 25 players in total deserving of a second chance: 1 will advance directly to the finale, and the 24 other players will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the 2nd places that advanced directly to these. From each game, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote.
    • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 5 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

The setup explained very briefly (more details on host site)
    This (view picture below) is a semi-open grid setup meant for 17 players: 4 mafia versus 13 townies. First you randomly select a number to decide the mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then you randomly select a letter to decide the town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup.

*Town Jack of All Trades: 1x Vigilante, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Tracker.

Relevant mechanics info
    • Day start.
    • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
    • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
    • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).
    • Thread is locked during Night Phases.

3. SEASON 5 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

Kind regards,
    Thingyman

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).
    -------------

Here's my own comments:

1. What does this mean?
    Well, refer back to the OP of this very thread for a basic idea of what the Championships are. Only the setup has changed from last year; the basic goals remain the same.

2. So what's this about the setup?
    Check the image in the quote above. The game will randomly be one of the setups from one of the two columns. If it's the column with the four standard "Mafia Goon" roles (no extra power), town doesn't get as much. If it's the column with the Mafia Role Cop, town gets a little extra to counter it. All games will have 17 players. The phase lengths will vary - our standard 48/24 was very common in Champs last year, as is 36/12. There were also 12/12 and 72/24 setups for those who prefer something longer or shorter, and I expect both of those formats to return.

3. What should I expect if I'm nominated?
    Posting. Thread volume. Think of game sizes comparable to Chess, not the last two 9-person ones we've run over the past month. Dropping a couple of posts per phase is not going to cut it, and even if you meet the minimum 10 posts per game day, it will not be enough to make a significant mark on the gamestate. You should probably shoot for 30-50 posts per game day minimum. The overall atmosphere will probably be more rough-and-tumble than what we're used to here, though this will vary based on player composition.

4. So... who should we nominate?
    The big question. As with before, I won't name names right away, but instead, open it up to you guys. As nobody from our extended community made the finals last season, everyone is eligible. That said, I would personally prefer it if the nomination went to somebody new who hasn't experienced Champs yet. However, it's more important that the nominee:
    a) wants to go
    b) feels comfortable with the reading and posting requirements
    c) has community support as a worthy representative of the .Org.

The floor is yours, everyone.

I'd really like to have such a glorious opportunity to embarrass myself in public and drag our collective reputation down but it starts in May/June so I'll have to sit it out. Effing real life. :/

So it's a) check, b) uncheck, c) I'll give you lot a blank cheque.

@Dp101?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Manasi 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast