Thread: I cannot post my error log.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Member magnificent walrus's Avatar

Default I cannot post my error log.

Europa Barbarorum II crashed and a modal window appeared telling me to upload my error log here. I registered to post my error log, but I don't have permission to post attachments.* I think you should specify that only forum members with privileges should post their error logs, because I registered only for this purpose, thinking I could help you. Is there a way I can send my error log to the people concerned or should I delete my account?
    I've once read that error logs are much more valuable than any other description, but I can provide details surrounding the crashes I've encountered if anyone seems interested before I delete my account.

*: My only post is a reply to the introduction thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...uction%29-v-IV

Edit: Now that I have permission, I attached the error log.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by magnificent walrus; 04-21-2017 at 13:54. Reason: attachment

Default Re: I cannot post my error log.

Hiya, you might be able to use a service like pastebin.com, then post a link here in a bug report.

Member thankful for this post:

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

There's a minimum number of posts before you can paste attachments, I think. There's also a filesize limit, so if it's over 10MB you need to compress it. If you can't attach to a post, host it on MediaFire or Dropbox or the like.

Descriptions are pretty much useless, I'm afraid; no log, no diagnosis. Even then I can't make any guarantees, but without one I can't tell you anything at all.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post:

I compressed it to zip as instructed. Here is the link to my cloud upload: https://cloud.openmailbox.org/index....s1fJHTNNRoD80p
    I can also give information about my installation, because I'm not even sure that the log makes it clear that I'm using Wine, for example. Also, I would understand if you did not support Wine etc. Maybe, I can message the original poster of the thread about running Europa Barbarorum II on Linux, if my problems are specific to my installation.

Edit: I deleted my upload (So, the link is broken.) and attached it to the original post instead.
    Last edited by magnificent walrus; 04-21-2017 at 13:58. Reason: broken link

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Unfortunately, there's nothing particularly unusual in your log - nothing that would explain the crash. Given the amount of time between the last error and the crash (almost half an hour, which is an eternity in processor-time), you may simply have run out of memory.

Are you using Large Address Aware, CFF Explorer or a 4GB patch?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Unfortunately, there's nothing particularly unusual in your log - nothing that would explain the crash. Given the amount of time between the last error and the crash (almost half an hour, which is an eternity in processor-time), you may simply have run out of memory.

Are you using Large Address Aware, CFF Explorer or a 4GB patch?
    Thank you for looking at my problem :) It seems that I was right in my suspicion that I should both provide a description and information about my installation.
    First, I should mention that I reinstalled everything (I messed up Wine altogether while trying to install Java 8 in order to run the other bat files, which I didn't succeed at, and had to reinstall everything.) and this installation seems to behave differently so far.

I don't know the things (programs?) you asked if I had; I am not a very technical person. I looked them up on the Internet and they seem to allow 64-bit users to run 32-bit programs. My computer is 32-bit and has 2GB RAM I think (instead of the 4GB you seem to assume I have). My computer is Acer Extensa 5635Z, which is 8 years old, I think. My operating system is Debian GNU/Linux. I'm not using windowed mode, because it behaves strangely on my installation and still crashes when I move the focus away from the kingdoms.exe

I had looked at my log out of curiosity and (even though I am not a technical person) I too realized that there was too little detail there. Anyway, I know that all three crashes I had happened when I was besieging and I was attacked by a relief force and won and was expecting to capture the settlement as a result. In my first campaign I was playing as Saka Rauka and took two settlements and besieged the settlement in the northern Tarim Basin. After the crash I loaded my last save but the game froze every time I won against the rebel relief force that invariably attacked me. The second time, I was Pergamon and took one settlement and besieged the Galatians. Again, the game crashed after I won against the rebel relief force and the campaign screen loaded after finishing the battle. The third time, I was Pritanoi and I took one settlement and besieged the settlement in the southeast of Britain and my hard won victory against the relief full stack plus the settlement garrison was again for naught. I also tried reloading in my Pergamon campaign and doing different things before ending my turn but the game crashes every time the campaign screen loads and I expect to capture the settlement because the defeated rebel armies cannot retreat and the survivors (even if more than 15% of the pre-battle army) must disband. I don't know if I'd have the same problem in the unmodified game, I didn't test it.

Also, during installation of Medieval II and Kingdoms expansion I got some errors both from Wine and the installer. I sometimes get other crashes but nothing unavoidable apart from this.

Edit: I started my first campaign as Pergamon on my new (re)installation. Again, I took Nikaia. This time instead of searching for field armies in Galatia, I positioned my army on my side of the border and directly went to besiege Ankyra from there the next turn. I was attacked by a relief full-stack and won. The campaign screen loaded in just a slightly longer time than usual and both characters representing the armies that fought me (the relief and the garrison forces) groaned, died, and perished from the campaign map. Then, a strange thing happened. If Galatians didn't attack me straight away, I think the independence script would bolster their besieged garrison. But that doesn't happen before the rebels first play their turn I think and so they fought me before that, allowing me to capture the settlement. The glitch though is that after the characters representing their armies perished and before I captured the settlement the independence script fired but they were moved out of the the settlement to allow me to capture it. So, effectively, they spawned too late just outside the settlement I captured.
    On a slightly unrelated note, I don't understand the reform requirements, the threads on Total War Center and the The Org differ, I think one of them refers to an older version. Plus, I want to remain as a Seleucid satrap if possible but I must capture their Anatolian settlements I think. By the way I wasn't asked to pay tribute to them like I heard Hayasdan and Baktria do, is it because they already have the shakedown event or because of historical considerations? Anyway, in this campaign I captured Ankyra before I got any shakedown event. I don't know if it was too early and I should've fought some field battles in Ankyra, that's why I'm asking about the reforms.
    By the way, I read your official forum was here so I registered, but Total War Center seems to have more information and many threads are duplicated on both forums (which sometimes differ as I mentioned above), so which one should I check?
    Last edited by magnificent walrus; 04-17-2017 at 13:00. Reason: addition