Thread: Pritanoi introduction mentions corn.

Member Member magnificent walrus's Avatar

Default Pritanoi introduction mentions corn.

The faction selection menu to start a new grand campaign displays text from the .../ebii/data/text/campaign_descriptions.txt about the selected faction. In the "Introduction" section (not the "History" section that is below it) of the text about the "Pritanoi" faction, it mentions corn being traded around the British Isles, but actually it came to the Old World via the Columbian Exchange. I just wanted to notify you in case this is a mistake you'd like to correct, but it could be artistic license, too. I thought to notify, because Europa Barbarorum II's main emphasis is on history; but if corn is so important to the British Isles today that someone living there might more easily relate, then its mention can remain as long as it is not in the "History" section, I guess.
    I've also noticed poetic language in unit descriptions that I had not come across in Europa Barbarorum for Rome: Total War and they are above the "History" sections there. Personally, I'm much more interested in history and cannot understand poetic language as English is a foreign language to me, so I scroll up the unit descriptions (One of them that I've seen forgot to separate the "History" section with a subtitle.); but I suggest that you poll the people that like such descriptions to see if they'd like use of artistic license or full historical accuracy in that section of the texts.

Edit: Building descriptions, too, seem to have a separate history section that is below the poetic description; but some I've seen are not separated by a subtitle. I think they should be separated; but luckily they are still easy to spot for me, because they usually start with a new paragraph that starts as "Historically, ..."
    Last edited by magnificent walrus; 04-15-2017 at 09:00. Reason: addition

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Pritanoi introduction mentions corn.

Hello Walrus, welcome to the .Org and to EB .

EB is all about historical accuracy, so I doubt the mention of corn was added as poetic license. More likely, it was written by someone not familiar with the difference between corn in American and British English. In America, corn indeed means maize. In Britain, it's indicates cereal in general.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Members thankful for this post (3):

Member Member magnificent walrus's Avatar

Default Re: Pritanoi introduction mentions corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    More likely, it was written by someone not familiar with the difference between corn in American and British English. In America, corn indeed means maize. In Britain, it's indicates cereal in general.
    I had no idea, my dictionary setting is on American English. Also, the check I did before posting was looking up the word "corn" on Wikipedia which landed me on the article for maize instead of the disambiguation page, which actually explains this usage difference. And after checking the "History" section of that article I came to post about it here without any doubt in my mind. Maybe, I should start learning British English, too :D

Member thankful for this post:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Pritanoi introduction mentions corn.

Quote Originally Posted by magnificent walrus View Post
    Maybe, I should start learning British English, too :D
    Don't worry about it. Apparently, this sort of thing even trips up native speakers (of which I am not one).
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member thankful for this post: