Poll: Who are you supporting?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 2017

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default UK General Election 2017

Looks like it is going to go down again. Theresa May is throwing down the gauntlet, and if it passes parliament, we are onboard for a general election. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713

Let's start debating who has the best policies, the best outcome for the country and the political gains and losses foreseen.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Default Re: UK General Election 2017

Labour is dead, SNP corraled, UKIP irrelevant, Lib dem shackled to a lost cause.

Without a split the Conservative victory is guaranteed. With the opposition as they are; it's hard to say they shouldnt win.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-18-2017 at 14:17.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

I think the snap election is due to current investigation where Election Expenses Fraud is looking to result in the need of 23 narrow-margin Conservative seats to be re-elected.

A new general election with the government on the offensive would give a far better result than being on the defensive in by-elections as a result of election fraud and losing their majority.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

ABSOLUTE MADMAN
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Voted for Corbyn, in the sense that he's slightly, slightly closer to my beliefs than the rest of the circus.
    Like in the rest of W. Europe, there is no equivalent to CPG, the party I vote in Greece.

At least, Corbyn seems to like Hezbollah and Syria.

EDIT: What's up with that Paul Nuttall guy? Is he more or less charismatic than his populist predecessor?
    Last edited by Crandar; 04-18-2017 at 16:45.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    EDIT: What's up with that Paul Nuttall guy? Is he more or less charismatic than his populist predecessor?
    Less charismatic and known for his Paul Nuttall facts, such as being present at the Moon Landings. He invents things about his background to try to influence the electorate and got caught up big time with Hillsborough.

UKIP as a party is pretty dead. The voters will probably move Conservative if Brexit is still their key issue.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-18-2017 at 17:20.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Going to be interesting. Off course UKIP is dead they were a single issue party and they succeeded gloriously at what they wanted, Theresa May might, she is a very sensible person I think, she never wanted a Brexit but listens.

Blog Entries

There are three predicted outcomes.

De facto one-party state by the Conservative party. (Overwhelming Victory)
    Conservative Majority (Victory)
    Conservative Minority (Pyrrhic Victory)

Significantly less likely:
    Coalition Government (/w Conservatives)
    Coalition Goverment (/wo Conservatives)
    Labour Minority.
    Labour & SNP Majority.

Blog Entries

Personally I want a split, none of the other parties represent my interests and with the conservative whole I have to take thier good with thier bad.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I'm guessing their is no chance of a Sinn Fein majority?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Husar 

Blog Entries

I find this to be a handy guide when it comes to deciding if you should be voting Conservative or not.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Clearly it's Erdoğan's victory in the rigged election to become Führer that's inspired this unabashed power grab.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I am willing to bet against Erdogan winning a seat in England's parliament.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Husar 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I find this to be a handy guide when it comes to deciding if you should be voting Conservative or not.

Oh that's not in-appropriate at all.

I'm torn.

Tim Farron is a Div, if Clegg was still in charge I'd go Lib Dem but he's not.

I pine for the Liberal Party.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

How much has Scotland to do with it? Not much. It will certainly be handy if it ends up SNP 48 (<11), Labour 8 (>7), Lib-Dems 3 (>2), Tory 1 (NC), when brexit finalises and talk of indyref 2.0 comes aroun.

Mainly it is about securing May a mandate to negotiate brexit, not subject to the tory nutters and the remain nutters.
    The biggest threat a decent brexit (soft), is the chaos in the british political system as it pulls the gov't one way or another. The eu will prefer it too, having a stable negotiating party on the other side of the table. It also gives May the political capital she'll need to spend in order to make compromises.

Does "soft" mean EEA/Efta? No, that is the Remain mistake in seeking easy answers, just as the tory nutters want a 'clean break', because it's simple. It isn't a simple problem, and it will require clear heads and good will to get it right. Soft brexit means strong an enduring links to the EU post brexit, not EEA/Efta per-se. But that doesn't mean being a rule taker (in the vernancular of the debate), under the judicial activism of the ECJ. It means sectoral jurisdiction and equivalence in regulatory regimes.

The final point is that it will persuade the numerous EU parties (commision/council/parliament/national-gov't) that brexit is happening, and so persuade them them to look for the best deal. As long as half the stakeholders think britain can be brought round with some tough talk, they have little incentive to bargain honestly. Not just chaos on the british side, but the EU side too. A 100 seat majority won on the letter she sent to tusk last month will quieten the lunatics on both sides.

The quiet threat that doing us over will lead to singapore-on-steroids, is useful. Not to be made again publicly, but clearly understood. We saw exactly how fruitful cameron's renegotiation was when he started it with a promise to campaign for in:
    C - So, we'd like a new deal, what can we do?
    E - Well.... you can have this.
    C - That's not very good, we can do better than that, surely!
    E - Why do we care? You're campaigning to stay in, why would we make it more attractive for you to stay out?
    C - Oh. :(
    Pretty sure that's not in trump's book: The Art of the Deal! :D
    So, hardball this time. With a smile.
    And the result will almost certainly be a softer brexit than might otherwise be the case.
    Sadly, remainers don't really get this point; still lost in a deeply personal grief.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 04-18-2017 at 22:18.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I think the snap election is due to current investigation where Election Expenses Fraud is looking to result in the need of 23 narrow-margin Conservative seats to be re-elected.

A new general election with the government on the offensive would give a far better result than being on the defensive in by-elections as a result of election fraud and losing their majority.
    Looks like I am not the only one who thought this...
    https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/...al/#more-63131

and Independent did an article on it too
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7689801.html
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-19-2017 at 01:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I am willing to bet against Erdogan winning a seat in England's parliament.
    Me too, seeing as England doesn't have a parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos View Post
    Clearly it's Erdoğan's victory in the rigged election to become Führer that's inspired this unabashed power grab.
    Odd comparison, Maymight doesn't need to rig anything, most Brits voted against somethingshe doesn't even supports herself but does anyway. I higly respect her for doing that. Erdogan is a rabid madman and a spitefull bully, Theresa May someone you can talk with.

...although you won't come away any better informed than when you started.

...although you won't come away any better informed than when you started.
    You won't be in jail either because you are thought to be a Corbyn supporter, it's all fair game (or as good as it gets of course). Agreing to disagree is a very good thing.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-19-2017 at 14:42.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

No Gah option.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If Corbyn was in power, he'd have the country insolvent in under 5 years.

If a country runs a budget surplus and therefore doesn't need to go cap in hand to the markets for money then they can do what they like.

Corbyn would be requiring vast amounts of money for the number of projects he would want to kick off and unless he decides to print money he'll have to borrow money from the very system he's so against. And before long we'd be following Venezuela with a collapsing currency, industry and brain drain.

Lib Dems haven't got enough experienced candidates in-house to even fill the front bench.
    SNP don't care about anything bar Scotland.

The line up is so dreadful that the only candidate who has an outside chance of managing the country is the Conservatives Oh yes they are so nasty. It reminds me of an analagy where a household of two parents and two young children where each parent runs the household on alternate 6 months. The first one goes crazy with the plastic, buys loads of toys, gets a car on credit and takes a loan for downpayment on an extension. The other parent then comes in and sees that all the money has gone and there's no way to even cover the current liabilities. So things are taken away.

The children of course love the first kind parent and hate the second mean, nasty one. Because they are unable to understand how the former has caused most of the issues.

Which is not to say the Conservatives might be "nasty" anyway, but as things stand we have the earlier spending binge to "thank"

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    The line up is so dreadful that the only candidate who has an outside chance of managing the country is the Conservatives Oh yes they are so nasty. It reminds me of an analagy where a household of two parents and two young children where each parent runs the household on alternate 6 months. The first one goes crazy with the plastic, buys loads of toys, gets a car on credit and takes a loan for downpayment on an extension. The other parent then comes in and sees that all the money has gone and there's no way to even cover the current liabilities. So things are taken away.

The children of course love the first kind parent and hate the second mean, nasty one. Because they are unable to understand how the former has caused most of the issues.

Which is not to say the Conservatives might be "nasty" anyway, but as things stand we have the earlier spending binge to "thank"
    But you forget an important part in your analogy.
    Parent one - over invests in the household. Put the patio on credit card, and so on. Making improvements to the house. Invests in the children with hiring tutors to help with their education and giving multi-vitamins and sports clubs so they will grow up healthy.

Unfortunately, there is a disaster in the street. All the households are affected greatly by this. Parent two said they have the solution to the problems, by cutting down on household spending to get through the hard times. Even though Parent one recognised this themselves, Parent two is far more brutal. During the first months, the family friend helped keep Parent two in check, but after accusations of an affair, family friend is no longer around and Parent two is in full control.

Parent two decides to stop everything. Pocket money is not increasing for the kids, in fact, it is cut. The tutors are stopped, the sports clubs are stopped, the multivitamins are stopped. We are all in this together, hard times. The months turn into years, the household is not recovering, in fact it is in even more debt! The car is being sold off to the local taxi service, who charges per use, instead of a cheap flat-rate. Parent two is often spending money income the pub, and giving gifts to their friends at the expense of the others in the househouse. During a local housing community meeting, Parent Two sticks their fingers up at the other households, going, "better without you lot!". Grandparents are now homeless, and 'bed-blocking' hospitals as Parent Two decided to sell their house and not replace it. Parent Two makes promises which cannot keep, constantly lying and making u-turns on policy. Parent Two is also rather abusive to the children too.

So yes, 'Parent Two' is the nasty one for taking the toys away indeed. Nothing about being selfish-toff who took away the toys for beer money to go out drinking with the 'lads' instead. I guess getting those round of pints at the pub as one of the 'lads' looks sweeter when you are not one of the 'children'.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-21-2017 at 15:42.

Blog Entries

I know PFH once disliked my negative view of those choosing not to participate in voting then complain about the government we get, but this picture explains in a nice visual way:

Blog Entries

So... Tomy and his mates didn't give his rich mates a load of money from PFI deals that have in some cases bankrupted hospitals.

Unforseen? Hilarious! Perhaps only to Brown who after a few years on the job declares boom and bust over - so yes he didn't forsee the problem because he willfully refused to look for it.

Tutors? Os that an analogy for trying to get everyone in to Uni (which between scrapping grants and introducing fees costs a fortune)? Companies not thrilled about the extra skills, mainly howling about how the "skills" they have at the end of the degrees are almost useless.
    You don't need vitamin tablets to grow up healthy. They do cost a lot though.

Bed blocking was around for some time - you remember? Back when hospitals were lumbered with loads of debt from the PFI schemes they were forced to have? Present then as well. And before.

Tony didn't sort out the lack of Council houses either. There should have been loads given he had over a decade. I guess wars abroad were more important.

Selfish toff? Oh - Blair, Milliband and most of the others were oh so poor. Are we forgetting Miliband's video where he was portrayed in the au pair's kitchen? Very much one of the people - who have million pound houses.
    Whilst we're on it... Where did they all go University and school? What's that again? Oxford? PPE? Oh yes! Just like the Conservatives! And the current leader of Labour and the Conservative both went to Grammar schools.

Amazing how much of what Labour has done has been magically airbrushed out. All that seems to remain is the debt and blaming others.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

So you're attacking Labour for being too left wing and when counter points are raised you attack Labour for being too right wing?

Blog Entries

Apparently this is being shared around. A spreadsheet of "Progressive Alliance" (Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Greens, etc) recommending who to vote for if you want the Tories out. So it highlights who is in 2nd place to the Conservatives, recommending to vote in that direction in their held seats, and what seats are currently held by what party.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aI1bU8/pubhtml

So you're attacking Labour for being too left wing and when counter points are raised you attack Labour for being too right wing?
    5-6 more elections under those conditions and you lot can generate your own Donald Trump.

Blog Entries

It might startle you to learn that the terms "left wing" and "right wing" are rather broad brush strokes.

Merely that the leaders are equally wealthy elitists from the same place means it is hard to blame the Conservatives alone for this.

I don't think anyone would deny when last in power Labour spent vast sums of money during the boom years and saved little / none for the bad years since they had "cured" it.

Perhaps it is better to say that one side is full of elitist cronies from a wealthy background who further the business interests of their friends, as are the other lot but also like to create a much larger national debt since there is the belief they will somehow get a return on the spending.

I am struck by how "Yuppie" Beskar's analogy is, a new patio, multi-vitamins, tutors, sports clubs.

All things most people either can't afford or wouldn't waste money on.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast