Thread: How to deal with rebels?

Default How to deal with rebels?

How do you deal with rebels when you have defeated every Faction (Vikings btw)?How is it as i clear one area and another pops up.What could I possibly be doing wrong?I was 60% done but want total domination now I am fighting rebels.

Thanks

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: How to deal with rebels?

Even if you have killed off the other factions, you will need to maintain garrisons in the provinces to prevent rebellions or re-emergences. To prevent a rebellion, you will need to keep the happiness above 100%, over 120% is preferred (extra leeway to handle events and prevent a province from being sucked into a re-emergence). Hitting the shift key on the campaign map will highlight which provinces are in danger (yellow or red).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Even if you have killed off the other factions, you will need to maintain garrisons in the provinces to prevent rebellions or re-emergences.
    Or you can use spies. They increase the loyalty of a province. A governor with high dread also helps. Some of the provinces are inherently more rebellious though (like Reget), so you'll have to combine a high-dread governor, a spy and some troops garrisoned there. And monitor the loyalty every time before hitting "end turn".
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Thanks and I know Reget is not that easy but i won total domination finally .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vike.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	749.8 KB 
ID:	19630  

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Never finished a Vikings campaign, thank you for showing the screen to me, approximately 14 years after the game has been released.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

You are welcome not to hard except for dealing with rebels and several game crashes got it done now it is Mercia.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: How to deal with rebels?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Never finished a Vikings campaign, thank you for showing the screen to me, approximately 14 years after the game has been released.
    Same here. Thanks, Age.

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Never played the Vikings?!? What is wrong with you people?

The Vikings are the easiest of the VI factions, and their mechanics let you play the game several different ways. The most fun I had was using raiding parties to keep all the main island factions in the bronze age, accumulating treasure and going from coast to coast raping and pillaging. You can go on for years with just a few small armies (which eventually get insanely high valour, and lots of stars for the leaders).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: How to deal with rebels?

Never played the Vikings?!? What is wrong with you people?
    I did play them. I just never finished the campaign...
    Last edited by Ludens; 05-05-2017 at 18:23.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Would of finished it sooner if it wasn't for win 10 deleting my MTWVI file and me reinstalling it.I generally do what drone said and then concentrate on one area.

I conquered with Mercians today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mercia.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	756.7 KB 
ID:	19636  

Member thankful for this post:

Rebels?

You kill or bribe them, what else? Killing them is faster, safer and cheaper... And usually its more fun too.

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    I conquered with Mercians today.
    I found Mercians the easiest faction in the VI, or perhaps the whole MTW VI. I dealt with the Saxons in the first 20 or so years and then no one really threatened my huscarle-rich armies.

I always wanted to win the Vikings campaign as the Welsh. I think it would be a good idea to do so

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I always wanted to win the Vikings campaign as the Welsh. I think it would be a good idea to do so
    The Welsh are the only faction I haven't played in VI. Archers just aren't my thing.

The Welsh are the only faction I haven't played in VI. Archers just aren't my thing.
    Did it once and, well, saw it through. You should attack Mercians and capture Mierce before they start spawning Huscarles, that is before they build the fort (4 years) and the royal palace (10 years, IIRC). It wasn't a problem for me. The problem was Saxons, who did start spawning Huscarles. Yet the key thing here is to have many-starred generals.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 05-09-2017 at 11:39.

Yaeh I ma a lot like you archers aren't for me either and Celtic Warriors don't do that well.I have tried going aster Mercia but their Frydman are to much not to mention if the Vikings pop on you.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

You can win with every faction - and I always go for the 110% win in VI - ie I also take the Viking lands with carfeul use of agents. I've done it with all the British factions, including the Welsh, though I think this is the hardest faction, a serious 'turtle and tech-up' scenario. You get iron and valoured-up archers, on the plus side. On the downside, nasty neighbours with huscarles... you probably have to play diplomacy more with the Welsh, and make maximum use of agents, too.

But that's a bit o/t - with regard to rebels, if you're struggling with loyalty problems, try shuffling your troops around so that you leave the most defensible provinces (eg ones with a guaranteed river map) with the lowest loyalty, so if the rebels do pop up, they are easily defeated. You can even use this to 'farm' rebels - ie keep 'em coming and take lots of money off them in forfeited lands etc, but that is a bit on the cheesy side.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Archers are always fun - particularly with the Welsh which have a specific ability to it.

Problem is, as macsen said, you've got neighbours with Huscarls. And Welsh infantry aren't particularly tough so you've got a good chance only if you turtle, defend and make maximum use of archers otherwise the Huscarls will fly away with your infantry. Use plenty of archers, defend them well, and you will see results.

Proud

Been to:

Plus, with the Welsh, if you can a) get an alliance with the Vikings, and b) get boats out before the Irish, you stand a good chance grabbing Ireland - once you have a foothold, the Irish tend to melt with plenty of archers against them. And then you've got two more iron provinces and a good defensive situation.

I like arrows. And my enemies learn to loathe them

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    But that's a bit o/t - with regard to rebels, if you're struggling with loyalty problems, try shuffling your troops around so that you leave the most defensible provinces (eg ones with a guaranteed river map) with the lowest loyalty, so if the rebels do pop up, they are easily defeated.
    IIRC, in VI there is only one river border - somewhere between Cantware and East Seaxe.

I played a wonderful campaign as the Welsh a couple years ago -- and actually attained a total victory. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the TGAs to prove it. From what I recall, macsen rufus is right on the money: ally with the Vikings and take over Ireland ASAP. After that, you have a safe staging ground from which to gradually beat down the West Saxons/Mercians. The Celtic warriors actually pack quite a nice punch when used en-mass, and can certainly take apart most spear units when required.

I think I had about seven kings named "Conan" in that campaign, which was also kind of awesome.

Seeing that this thread is actually about rebels, I will say that bribing them (especially stacks that contain huscarles, etc.) to get different troop types is always a good idea. Once your economy can handle it, of course.

IIRC, in VI there is only one river border - somewhere between Cantware and East Seaxe
    There's also a one-way river border where the Severn Bridge now stands - so any invasion from Somerset into Gwent gives the Welsh a good defensive position

Cyprian2 is also right about bribing rebels - they tend to have very low loyalty making them cheap to bribe, and I often find in my games rebels can have some surprisingly high levels of acumen, making for some good governors to boost your income.... It's always worth taking a good look at them before deciding to just attack them - they may be worth more as new recruits.

And back off-topic Celtic Warriors have good initial impact but tend to lose heart in a prolonged melee, so they need to be used carefully. Tactically, if you can make them the 'hammer' and flank a pinned enemy unit, that helps get the most out of them (their speed helps here) and also using them for ambushes also boosts their initial impact. Strategically, get them as many upgrades as you can - morale especially, but armour and weapons, too, of course. And then, be careful after battles to merge together valoured-up units rather than simply retraining them for numbers. This helps get some good 'veteran' units together. Overall, they're not the best infantry, but can serve if well managed.

Discussion forum thread

Some Welsh battles of mine (if I did it right for others to see them).
    heroic welsh.zip
    wise welsh.zip