Thread: What is the best faction? (in your opinion) And Why? :D

Talking What is the best faction? (in your opinion) And Why? :D

I Really liked greece at a time but now i more like the macedons (because of the cavalary and the pikemans) and i like Rome (any family especially julii) Cause their op formation and very good units.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: What is the best faction? (in your opinion) And Why? :D

That all depends on whether one is an infantryman, or a horseman, IMO. For strictly cavalry, none better than Armenia (my favorite faction, btw). For infantry, any Greek faction has top-notch phalanx, while the Romans have the most versatile.

To pick an overall faction with a good balance of infantry and cavalry, Macedon would be my choice...the Seleucids a close second. Macedon is tied for the #1 temple in terms of overall combined bonuses with Zeus (Set being the other temple), and the other three temples available to them (Ares, Artemis, and Demeter) are all in the upper tier of usefulness. Starting position for Macedon places them right in the middle of Greece's richest provinces. Seleucia has somewhat of a more difficult starting position with enemies on all sides, but once the most serious threat of Egypt is removed, the "Silk Road" is all theirs. Seleucia has a good "forge" temple in Hephaestus, with the remaining two (Dionysus, and Asklepios) being decent but not top-tier

The best barbarian faction is a close call between Gaul and Germania, with Germania getting my thumbs up because of better cavalry and more diverse infantry.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 07-22-2017 at 21:09.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by HeirOfGreece View Post
    I Really liked greece at a time but now i more like the macedons (because of the cavalary and the pikemans) and i like Rome (any family especially julii) Cause their op formation and very good units.
    Really, the game is made for Rome to be the best. Even their cavalry is good, which is unrealistic, if I remember correctly Praetorian Cav is best cav in the game stat-wise, though I may be wrong on that. Their infantry is tops, their archers after Marian reforms are some of the best, and I already mentioned their cav. Good temples, good siege weaponry, Brutii especially situated for money (I have never done well with Scipii financially), I would have to give it to Brutii as best.

Now, if you want to leave Rome out of it, I would say it is Macedon or Seleucia. Royal Pikemen are the best Phalanx unit (I give them slight advantage over Armoured Hoplites because of longer spears and more men, case could be made for Sacred Band Infantry of Carthage, who have stats similar to Praetorian Cohort). Macedonian Cav and Companions, combined with location, make Macedon my preferred choice after Rome.

Seleucia is also situated to make money, they have similar infantry to Macedon. Silver Shield Pikemen are not worth the extra turn or money over Phalanx Pikemen, and Silver Shield Legionaries require top level barracks, so I rarely use them. However, a temple that gives gold sword and shield, combined with Cataphracts and Companion Cavalry, means that, at least in my opinion, the case could also be made for Seleucids. Oh, and they can also train all elephant units. However, with both Macedon and Seleucia, phalanx means you are not as flexible.

Greece has good infantry, though archers are weak, as with any Greek faction, though they are in perfect position to hire Cretans. Greek cavalry (or lack thereof) is why I don't rank them as one of the best.

Carthage might be good. I have never played a campaign as Carthage, so can't really give much more than what my brother said about them. Missile units are weak, and line infantry only decent later in the campaign.

Barbarians? I agree, Gaul or Germania, but have no real idea which is better, that depends on what you want.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Ok Guys Thank You ReluctantSamurai and thank you Vincent Butler! I decided to play as seleucids soo... Any guide and tips for Fighting Egypt? And Fighting Pathia they are so annoying with those Horse Archers

Any guide and tips for Fighting Egypt?
    Your biggest concern at the start is the Chariot Archers. Unfortunately, you have no good counter...yet I use scads of Militia Cavalry...very cheap, and they die by the hundreds, but...they get the job done. It takes two turns for Egypt to build a Chariot Archer unit and they have to come from Memphis at the start. Militia Cavalry take only a single turn so you win the battle of attrition. Militia Hoplites can hold their own against Nubian Spear, but you need to get to Levy Pike and then Phalanx Pike ASAP. Once you get to the Phalanx Pike the tide begins to turn. Forget about Ellies until you can field Armored Elephants. Once that happens, Egyptian infantry won't hold up. When you begin to field Cataphracts, Companians, and Silver Shield Pike....well everyone in the Middle East can put their heads between their legs and kiss their a$$ goodbye

Fighting Pathia they are so annoying with those Horse Archers
    Again, Militia Cavalry but in combo with Greek Cavalry. You have to chase them around the map a bit, but once you corner them, they're dead

Even their cavalry is good, which is unrealistic, if I remember correctly Praetorian Cav is best cav in the game stat-wise, though I may be wrong on that.
    Roman cavalry was actually pretty good once they learned their lessons against Gaul and the Carthaginians.

http://www.romeacrosseurope.com/?p=3073 Decent overview of the development of Roman cavalry. But...Praetorian Cavalry are a fantasy unit created by the devs.

Comparison with other elite cavalry:

Attk primary (secondary)/Charge bonus/Defense

Praetorian 11(12)/6/22
    Gothic 12/7/19
    Cataphracts 7(8)/9/23
    Companian 10(12)/9/18
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Your biggest concern at the start is the Chariot Archers. Unfortunately, you have no good counter...yet I use scads of Militia Cavalry...very cheap, and they die by the hundreds, but...they get the job done. It takes two turns for Egypt to build a Chariot Archer unit and they have to come from Memphis at the start. Militia Cavalry take only a single turn so you win the battle of attrition. Militia Hoplites can hold their own against Nubian Spear, but you need to get to Levy Pike and then Phalanx Pike ASAP. Once you get to the Phalanx Pike the tide begins to turn. Forget about Ellies until you can field Armored Elephants. Once that happens, Egyptian infantry won't hold up. When you begin to field Cataphracts, Companians, and Silver Shield Pike....well everyone in the Middle East can put their heads between their legs and kiss their a$$ goodbye
    Yeah thanks for that, And who should i go for first? Egypt or Parthia? They are both annoying af... And What does that formation with cavalry do i think its called Wedge or something... Most of the cavalary does have that ability?? And what is it used for?

Hello there big fan boy of the rome series here. And when you play the seleucids whatever they tell you never turtle.build a bunch of miltia hoplites and move towards egypt asap. The egyptian provinces have high populations so a lot of money and good armys can be trained there losing seleucia to the parthians is acceptable altough unlikely seeing how parthia is terrible in sieges. After you have crushed egypt wich is fairly easy becuz sooner or later their chariots will charge your hoplites for some reason and melt away. Put your egyptian cities on low taxes and build up public order after that focus on military buildings first infantry then cav then archers( siege weapons are for weaklings)
    While your doing all that train an army in antioch im guessing it is your best miltary province by now. Focus on infantry and try to get archers. Archers just rape horse archers move this army towards the east and try crushing the parthians first and then focus on the armenians it will take some time but securing the east allows you to disband your armies there and leave small peasant garrisons because the scythians almost never attack and the parthians in the uper right corner arent really a threat. This will knock your economy into overdrive and will allow you to afford elephants and then you go into ez pz mode.

Ps dont use wedge it sucks. Use line formation(standard formation) for cav charges give way more kills wich actually routs the enemy faster. ( wich is historically retarded because the wedge was mostly used as a morale breaker. Wedge = divide and conquer- alexander)

Tell me if this helps and the wall fight at memphis will be difficult so be warned

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk

And who should i go for first? Egypt or Parthia?
    Egypt. Parthia is a waste of time and resources...just take Susa away from them and you won't see anything but vanilla horse archers, Eastern Infantry, and Hillman coming out of the badlands.

FTM is correct about the wedge being useless. You take much higher casualties for very little improvement in breaking an infantry line. Don't use it

Ignore the Armenians. Let them send their Eastern Infantry/Hillman/Horse Archer mix much like Parthia. Crush them as they come, but don't go chasing up into the mountains. Armenian provinces are as pi$$-poor as Parthia's...not worth the effort. However...

....pay attention to Pontus and the Greeks in Pergamum. After Pontus runs around a bit in Anatolia, particularly if they occupy Nicomedia and Ancyra, they will usually come over the mountains to attack Tarsus. If you think Horse Archers are a pain in the a$$, wait until you have to face off against Pontic Heavy/Light Cavalry...same horse archer tactics but with a cavalry unit that can engage comfortably in melee, unlike horse archers.

In most of my Seleucid campaigns, Pontus and Egypt form an alliance against me. I've had a couple where Pontus, Egypt, Parthia, and the Greek Cities formed an alliance.....not that it helped any of them in the end
    High Plains Drifter

Also, once you get to Elephants, their chariots are done. Chariots absolutely get demolished by elephant units. However, you will see archers then using flaming arrows on your ellies, though War and especially Armoured Ellies won't really be affected. Yes, Egypt is your primary concern, I try to get Antioch up to speed with the barracks. Your MH and Levy Pikes can hold Egypt off for the time being in other places, just barricade the streets.

Wedge, if it is your captain, is a good way to get your captain killed. If it works (and it usually doesn't), it can be very effective. Also, with your Cataphracts and Companion Cav (and generals), once you engage the enemy, use the secondary attack (shift+right click). The attack is better, and with Cataphracts, it is armour-piercing. That means with enemy cav, halve their armour and add one, with infantry, halve their armour then add two (or maybe I have that backward). Also, that is the armour stat alone and does not include shield.

Put Pikemen at a bridge or river crossing at an angle with spears crossed across your end of the bridge. Two layers works even better. You can wipe out vastly superior armies this way. Bring an Onager in case the enemy has onagers, and do not use flame in this circumstance. Put missiles on the flanks and peltasts behind your phalanx...

I've had a couple where Pontus, Egypt, Parthia, and the Greek Cities formed an alliance.....not that it helped any of them in the end
    Usually with me, Armenia, Egypt, Pontus, and Parthia are the ones who form the alliance all together. Greece only joins the fight once they get up to Armoured Hoplites.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 07-24-2017 at 08:10.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare