Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chess Players?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Chess Players?

Got a membership request from Cuthillius. I assume he's the user of the same name here, so I approved it.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I am "Montmorgency".

Put me down for individual or team games this weekend.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I sent you a club invite.

Anyone can send challenges to anyone else. For Daily/Correspondence games, just click on the club member list and click on the Chessboard icon near their username.

Live games seem a little tougher to setup... I think you both have to be in the liveplay section of the site and you have to create a challenge and put in the username. I've only managed to get those going with Csargo so far.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I think I've played most everyone.. and as expected took a loss to novice.

Anyone else play each other yet? How's it going?
    -Abraham Lincoln

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    I will, once I've started an account.
    Which hasn't happened yet. I wish the semester were over.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

I love games like this. I play the London System/Mason Attack a lot, so when I saw him mechanically making the early moves I decided to mess up his plans for him.

This also doubled as a test to see if I can embed games in forums posts.... looks like I can.
    Edit:With annotations!
    Last edited by Xiahou; 09-18-2017 at 03:32.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    This also doubled as a test to see if I can embed games in forums posts.... looks like I can.
    For some reason, the 'iframe' formatting does not work outside the Gameroom.

Well, maybe it does, but I've tested in the Watchtower, Frontroom, and Backroom, and it doesn't create a display, for this Chess.com embed or for Youtube videos.

Either the post preview shows only the text of the formatting, or (in Chrome) the page shows a BLOCKED_BY_XSS_EDITOR error.
    Vitiate Man.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I can see it alright.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Member thankful for this post:

Xiahou 

So this is another game I really liked (probably because I won convincingly )

So 11. Kd1 apparently was a "bad" response to 10 ...Qxe4, based on computer analysis. Luckily, the pawn move he made next pretty well lost it for him. Can anyone see what the "best" response to 11. Kd1 was?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

So this is another game I really liked (probably because I won convincingly )

So 11. Kd1 apparently was a "bad" response to 10 ...Qxe4, based on computer analysis. Luckily, the pawn move he made next pretty well lost it for him. Can anyone see what the "best" response to 11. Kd1 was?
    The only other move is Kf1 right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Black moves the knight forward and then… then what did White do?

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    The only other move is Kf1 right?
    Yup. Which would've avoided the Ng4 threat, but would have deprived me of opportunity to play the 'oh so tempting' Re1 pin.

Black moves the knight forward and then… then what did White do?
    With 11... Ng4, Black is threatening a mate in one by playing Nxf2 next turn. My idea was to pin the black Queen using my Rook. Ng4 would put that idea out the window, and instead I would've had to try to deal with a pretty strong mating threat. Luckily he didn't see it, and I won.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Not sure if it is entirely on topic but I've been watching agadmator's chess videos lately and they've been thoroughly enjoyable. Can't quite translate what I've learnt yet though.

Would definitely recommend it for quick, easy to listen analysis of games.

Quote Originally Posted by nl. View Post
    Not sure if it is entirely on topic but I've been watching agadmator's chess videos lately and they've been thoroughly enjoyable. Can't quite translate what I've learnt yet though.

Would definitely recommend it for quick, easy to listen analysis of games.
    Yours isn't the first recommendation for agadmator that I've seen. I'm going go look him up on Youtube and add some of his videos to my watch list. .

I've enjoyed watching a bunch of Hutch's chess streams. He also had a pretty good series being coached by GM Tal Baron.
    Lately, I've been watching John Bartholomew's videos. His Fundamentals series is a good starting place.

And, of course, I can watch almost anything by Anna Rudolf.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Not sure if anyone else is, but I'm still playing with some regularity. I've improved my blitz rating by close to 200 points since I last posted- currently at 1338, with a peak of 1375. Not a master by any means, but it apparently puts me in the 85th percentile for blitz on chess.com.

I found another good chess resource- chessable.com. It's a site that is designed around drilling you on various openings. Some advanced repertoires are pay only, but there's enough free content to keep my busy for a long time. It drills you using spaced repetition to help you memorize moves. But I think the real benefit as you start to learn openings, is getting a sense of what the moves are trying to accomplish. Once you start to see the "why"s, you can start improving.

I haven't noticed any activity in the club, but is anyone still playing otherwise?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Heh, no… I've finally found the time to engage game developers who make games that run on Linux and wo-wee it's being a blast.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I've been playing Skyrim with all of my free time, which is extremely limited.

Logic 

Dude, didn't that come out in, like, 2011??

Heh, no… I've finally found the time to engage game developers who make games that run on Linux and wo-wee it's being a blast.
    That does sound interesting. Worth posting a thread in the Technology forum? I use Linux Mint almost exclusively at work and run it on my laptop at home. I'm slowly learning more and more about the OS as I use it.

Trying to improve at chess can seem like a lot of effort, but I think it's good brain training for other things I do and it's very satisfying when you can see improvement over time....
    Last edited by Xiahou; 04-01-2018 at 05:36.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Dude, didn't that come out in, like, 2011??
    Yeah, well I didn't play it in 2011 Xiahou alright, stop shaming me.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Yeah, well I didn't play it in 2011 Xiahou alright, stop shaming me.
    Shame!
    -Abraham Lincoln

Csargo 

That does sound interesting. Worth posting a thread in the Technology forum? I use Linux Mint almost exclusively at work and run it on my laptop at home. I'm slowly learning more and more about the OS as I use it.
    Hmmm… I haven't ever posted in the Technology forum, but it might be worth it. I don't know that much about Linux -I know enough to know how little I know. But then most people who use Windows know nothing about it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Trying to improve at chess can seem like a lot of effort, but I think it's good brain training for other things I do and it's very satisfying when you can see improvement over time....
    The same goes for ability in other games… ;)

Also, re:shame

Logic 

I burned myself out several times over years just trying to mod Skyrim...

Hmmm… I haven't ever posted in the Technology forum, but it might be worth it. I don't know that much about Linux -I know enough to know how little I know. But then most people who use Windows know nothing about it either.

The same goes for ability in other games… ;)
    My CS teacher in high school (I was never any good) used to say: "Windows and Mac are learner-friendly, but user-unfriendly. Linux is learner-unfriendly, but user-friendly." (Sounds a bit elitist come to think about it)

/satisfiedwithW7
    Last edited by Montmorency; 04-02-2018 at 04:19.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    My CS teacher in high school (I was never any good) used to say: "Windows and Mac are learner-friendly, but user-unfriendly. Linux is learner-unfriendly, but user-friendly." (Sounds a bit elitist come to think about it)
    Hehehehe, I've just updated Blender to the latest available version and fated myself to weeks of pain (they've changed the controls from the last, admittedly outdated, version I did know how to operate).
    Last edited by El Barto; 04-02-2018 at 05:31.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12