Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Feminism out of control?

Default Re: Feminism out of control?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Could have, bit too young for me
    Is it related to the [REDACTED] incident?
    Last edited by Montmorency; 10-23-2017 at 16:23. Reason: REDACTED
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

nah

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    In the USA, we punted English quite a while back.
    But not the language, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    This campaign isn't directed at you. It's about a large number of men who do those things, as evidenced by countless examples from females across cultures.
    I have a feeling that some campaigners join in for PR or some other reasons not directly connected to the ostensible aim. I mean how could you have been nonchalant and unperturbed and SILENT for dozens of years and then abruptly you claim to have been suffering most horribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I have a feeling that some campaigners join in for PR or some other reasons not directly connected to the ostensible aim. I mean how could you have been nonchalant and unperturbed and SILENT for dozens of years and then abruptly you claim to have been suffering most horribly.
    Fear.
    Fear of people who will start victim blaming and not believing them if they end up being the only ones, etc.
    Fear of being alone in the spotlight as "the victim", becoming controversial, ruining other aspects of one's life and so on and on.

I often wonder whether I should tell others about the time I got robbed. On the one hand it's an interesting story, on the other hand it may skew their view of me towards "victim, weak" and so on and I may not want that. Being a victim can be like a disability, it may not be your own fault, but you may suffer in even more unrelated situations anyway. Certain people here also tend to use "Opfer" (victim in German) as an insult. Comes from Middle Easterners as far as I can tell, but Germans use it as well now.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I do believe that things ought to be discussed, not swept under the rug, but I just don't see how anyone can maintain that there is institutionalized discrimination of white males in the western world.

It's just mind-boggling. Take any parameter you want, white males are always on top.

Certainly there are cases of discrimination against white males, but they are very rare, in contrast with discrimination of women or males of other skin colour.

Members thankful for this post (2):

HusarIdaho 

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Fear.
    Fear of people who will start victim blaming and not believing them if they end up being the only ones, etc.
    Fear of being alone in the spotlight as "the victim", becoming controversial, ruining other aspects of one's life and so on and on.
    I don't believe influential women have this fear. Oprah has been talking of her experience for years. The actresses involved in the Weinsten scandal couldn't have been that scared for that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I do believe that things ought to be discussed, not swept under the rug, but I just don't see how anyone can maintain that there is institutionalized discrimination of white males in the western world.

It's just mind-boggling. Take any parameter you want, white males are always on top.
    No, it is not mind-boggling that resident populations of well-developed countries fare better off in their home countries than immigrant populations from poorly developed countries.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    No, it is not mind-boggling that resident populations of well-developed countries fare better off in their home countries than immigrant populations from poorly developed countries.
    Que?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The actresses involved in the Weinsten scandal couldn't have been that scared for that long.
    It is an open secret and known by everyone and nothing was ever done about it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/movies...unch-line.html
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I don't believe influential women have this fear. Oprah has been talking of her experience for years. The actresses involved in the Weinsten scandal couldn't have been that scared for that long.
    Why not? You lack the experience to understand, don't you?

I wouldn't lecture you on how you must really have felt when you visited America - that's your own story. People who visit America don't have a single universal experience.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

I think what Fragony is trying to say is that he thinks it's really horrible what happened to that Weinstein character. He seems like a really friendly guy and all those sluts got what was coming to them. /src

If someone looks male to me but it identifies as a snail, I didn't insult them and it doesn't warrant any reeducation either.
    I just ask if I am unsure, and go from there. I won't go beyond that, since it is an entirely different topic, but I felt the need to recommend this.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Why not? You lack the experience to understand, don't you?

I wouldn't lecture you on how you must really have felt when you visited America - that's your own story. People who visit America don't have a single universal experience.
    What does it have to do with sexual harrassment?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    I just ask if I am unsure, and go from there. I won't go beyond that, since it is an entirely different topic, but I felt the need to recommend this.
    And that can't backfire heavily when someone thinks they're obviously this or that and then you ask them how they identify?
    I'm pretty sure there are bullying tactics based on that, which basically attempt to attack someone's self-worth. So I can see how that can be misconstrued easily.

It only means your argument about these women is disrespectful.
    You cannot expect them to react like you think you would because you're not them.
    The thing is that if you had made the same experiences, you wouldn't be you either, and might act more like them. Therefore judging their experiences using yours as a basis is nonsensical and one could say you're not taking them seriously as persons.

Monty said that if he declared that your experiences in the US made no sense because they didn't reflect his own experiences and declared you a liar based on this, he'd be doing the same thing to you. He's trying to transform the issue to a topic you might be more involved with in order to make his point clearer.
    Last edited by Husar; 10-23-2017 at 17:53.

It has to do with anything in life. Harassment, losing a parent, playing the new popular game, hearing a song, cooking a meal, living through a popular revolt and national crisis...

Don't try to pre-define what other people go through on idle speculation.
    Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (2):

And that can't backfire heavily when someone thinks they're obviously this or that and then you ask them how they identify?
    I'm pretty sure there are bullying tactics based on that, which basically attempt to attack someone's self-worth. So I can see how that can be misconstrued easily.
    From my experience with transpeople, it's generally not hard to make inferences and read social cues. I can't predict how every individual will react but you are usually given the benefit of the doubt if you show that you are trying to understand and respect this person. You can easily use common sense and just avoid the subject entirely if there is no need for you to delve into it, but don't overthink it. It is immensely helpful if you show that you are, at the very least, taking this person seriously.

If you are talking about otherkin, however, you're on your own. That is an entirely different subset.

Blog Entries

I am going to throw it out there in the topic about trans.

Why do you need to ask, or even care?

If you really think about it, do you need to know what the other persons genitals are?

It is kind of creepy in a way. Why do you really need to know if they go a penis or a vagina? Over 99% of communication does not require you to know unless you are some kind of gender-gestapo.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-23-2017 at 18:46.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    It is kind of creepy in a way. Why do you really need to know if they go a penis or a vagina? Over 99% of communication does not require you to know unless you are some kind of gender-gestapo.
    Most communication is aided by knowing how the interlocutor wants to be addressed. You don't need to ask about their genitals to ask how they want to be addressed.
    Vitiate Man.

Ehm, yes, I don't need to care or ask, that's why I also don't need to know anything about gender fluidity or the 50 different types of gender identity or whatever. Wasn't that my original point?

Blog Entries

Most communication is aided by knowing how the interlocutor wants to be addressed. You don't need to ask about their genitals to ask how they want to be addressed.
    You can address them in a gender neutral manner. Common in English is the singular "they" or even using their name. If you think about it, there is very little for when it is needed.

You can address them in a gender neutral manner. Common in English is the singular "they"
    I don't agree with they on this?!

I don't agree with they on this?!
    Them.
    Vitiate Man.

Beskar 

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

How about just use "him" or "her" because people identify in one way or another more closely to a specific gender. Just ask them and be done with it, nobody cares what you consider yourself as, just be a nice person overall.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    How about just use "him" or "her" because people identify in one way or another more closely to a specific gender. Just ask them and be done with it, nobody cares what you consider yourself as, just be a nice person overall.
    Or use gender neutral instead then no need to ever switch and it says the defaulting of the other as a male which was very common in academia and law. Imagine you are reading something which applies to you and it was saying "woman" all the time, it would come across as rather jarring, then having women argue "well, it means both genders." - this is what they put up with, in the inherent bias.

gender-gestapo.
    Pronouns, I'm looking for pronouns. As others said, you can default to they, which is what I usually do.

Beskar 

Them.
    I'll just stick with "you", thank them very much.

I mean, eh, forget it, I was originally talking about lists like this: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...acebook-users/

Why anyone would be insulted if I don't know how they identify on such a list was my original question if I recall correctly. I'm getting confused by them/that/this/it/us/you?!?!? now.
    I mean I wanted to tell Fragony that it's probably not worth getting bothered by it just because someone thinks that's what the options should be. And no, I usually don't ask anyone what they would pick from that list, what weirdo came up with that idea again? Wasn't me!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

You can address them in a gender neutral manner. Common in English is the singular "they" or even using their name. If you think about it, there is very little for when it is needed.
    The signature blocs of many of the faculty and staff at my school state the preferred pronoun choice of that person. Simple courtesy suggests you should -- barring some label or form of address clearly used solely to be flippant -- address and refer to that person in the manner that person requests.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I'll just stick with "you", thank them very much.

I mean, eh, forget it, I was originally talking about lists like this: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...acebook-users/

Why anyone would be insulted if I don't know how they identify on such a list was my original question if I recall correctly. I'm getting confused by them/that/this/it/us/you?!?!? now.
    I mean I wanted to tell Fragony that it's probably not worth getting bothered by it just because someone thinks that's what the options should be. And no, I usually don't ask anyone what they would pick from that list, what weirdo came up with that idea again? Wasn't me!
    Just one example out of many, many examples become a trend. I cannot ignore it unless I stop reading newspapers, magazines, stop watching tv, etc.

Latest one, in England this time, sorry my person can't come to the party, my person is pregnant. 'What is it?', it's a ehhhhh person

Totally necesary as the pregnant woman could be a transgender

Can we talk about sexual-marxism yet? Touchy I know
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-24-2017 at 08:05.

You still watch TV?

You still watch TV?
    Haven't for ten years or so but I do get the tasty bits

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Haven't for ten years or so but I do get the tasty bits
    Then I can only assume you go to right wing blogs and/like geenstijl and they bombard you with leftist propaganda for you to hate and then you blame the leftists for being pushy because the right wingers show their ideas to you every day. Does that come close?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast