Thread: Autobattles

Default Autobattles

Hi guys!

I was looking in Internet for someone who played a campaign with 100% autobattles. However I found nothing...

So, I decided to ask directly. Have anybody tried to play a campaign using only autobattles on VH/VH? I tried it a lot...Actually it becomes a different game. Especially, it is very hard with factions like Parthia. On the other hand it is less time consuming then playing battles manually and it becomes faster to conquer the whole map. By some reason (according to Internet and Youtube) this style (100% autobattles) is not popular at all.

Also I found nothing about mechanics of autobattles. If you know, could you please share the link? I know only that chariots are very operpowered (along with elephants) followed by different urban cohorts.

Default Re: Autobattles

Hi there and welcome,

I find that I will lose autobattles quite often when facing a general with a few stars and my troops have a captain - the AI probabably overpowers difference in command ratings and performance. Similarly attacking a city on autobattle is a recipe for disaster.- my biggest losses occur attacking cities on auto battle. So IMHO going 100% autobattle is either a brave or a foolhardy one. My guess is that the AI simply applies RPSLS (Swords beat Spears beats Horses: Elephants beat most: incendiary pigs beat elephants: most beat incendiary pigs) - Bull warriors are also overpowered in autoresolve. Playing Spain when I got the bull warriors out I autoresolved everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RedKi-rr View Post
    Hi guys!

I was looking in Internet for someone who played a campaign with 100% autobattles. However I found nothing...

So, I decided to ask directly. Have anybody tried to play a campaign using only autobattles on VH/VH? I tried it a lot...Actually it becomes a different game. Especially, it is very hard with factions like Parthia. On the other hand it is less time consuming then playing battles manually and it becomes faster to conquer the whole map. By some reason (according to Internet and Youtube) this style (100% autobattles) is not popular at all.

Also I found nothing about mechanics of autobattles. If you know, could you please share the link? I know only that chariots are very operpowered (along with elephants) followed by different urban cohorts.
    As Rome, or Egypt with Chariots, you can get away with it better than most.

Auto-resolve is stupid, most of the time. Roman units get huge favors (granted, they are good). Chariots swing auto-resolve in their owner's favor, as do Elephants, and I think War Dogs. With good reason, Spartans and Armoured Hoplites do as well. Stupidly, Bull Warriors do. Many times, I can defeat an enemy where the computer would lose the auto-resolve. I can usually defeat 2:1 odds against me; as Carthage, I recently defeated 3:1 against me in the open field against pre-Marian Rome, with no better infantry than Libyan Spearmen, and no Long Shield Cav, only one or two Round Shields. I thank my one unit of regular Elephants for the victory. I would never have auto-resolved that battle.

In the city, especially with Roman/Greek Large/Epic Stone walls, I can defeat even lower odds. The walls wipe out at least 25% of the enemies before they even get to me, if I wait at my town center or choke points in the city. Give me a phalanx, and it just increases my strength of victory.

With experienced Macedonian or Seleucid units, you can usually do fairly well in auto-resolve. Against Rome, you will still not do well at first.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 11-15-2017 at 20:35.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

IMHO, auto-resolve is for those too impatient to actually play the game. Every TW game is played at two levels: the strategic level where you develop infrastructure and build an economy; and the tactical level where you test whether your strategy is sound and your battlefield savvy is good. To lop off virtually half the game means to me that you should find a different game to play where it's all about strategy (one of the Civ games, perhaps)

You can actually play RTW without doing much of anything, if you wish. You can auto-resolve all battles, and you can have the AI auto-manage your economy. Where's the fun in that?

If you wish to simplify the game, have the AI auto-manage your economy. Battles are the "meat-and-potatoes" of any TW game. I've been playing since Shogun I, and in all that time I cannot remember (in any detail) some economic ploy, or some devious political maneuvering for any of the hundreds of campaigns I've played. But....I remember particular battles (some as far back as 17 yrs ago) where the odds were stacked against me, or I was stuck in a bad starting position on the battlefield, or used the weather to my advantage to win an impossible battle. The battlefield adds emotion to the game. Economics is simply crunching numbers. So whichever is your pleasure...

p.s.

When I first started playing Shogun I, I played the tutorials and started in on campaigns. I didn't quite have the knack for pacing and balancing the development of infrastructure with unit training & replacement (in Shogun you only get paid once every year at fall harvest, and with four seasons this is critical). I did ok with the battles but I was frustrated at not being able to grasp the game as a whole and was ready to put the CD on the shelf and move on.

Then I decided to play a few of the historical battles. The first one I tried was Okehazama and it forever changed my TW experience. The battle starts in a driving thunderstorm with you at the head of a column of Heavy Cavalry. In Shogun, thunderstorms are for real, unlike the wussy event that masquerades as a storm in RTW. Lightning flashes...rain coming down so hard it restricts visibility...crashing peals of thunder.....and I was hooked. I got back into playing the campaigns and have played every release (except ETW/NTW) up to Shogun II.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 11-16-2017 at 02:10.
    High Plains Drifter

I do autoresolve some battles. For instance, a rebel peasant army is on a road. I dispatch a Roman Cav unit to wipe them out. Yeah, I will sim that battle. Sometimes if I don't feel like commanding an army in a battle the autoresolve will win easily for me, I will autoresolve. I prefer to take tough battles myself, especially if there are favored units against me, such as chariots or Bull Warriors. I always autoresolve my naval battles.

Agree about the meat and potatoes of the game being the battles. I love the battles; that is a major reason of why I play. Otherwise, I would devote most of my gaming time to Age of Empires instead of Rome.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 11-16-2017 at 02:18.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Sometimes if I don't feel like commanding an army in a battle the autoresolve will win easily for me, I will autoresolve
    Agreed, particularly with rebel stacks that are going to run away in any case I detest the pinball auto-resolve system for naval battles, but it is what it is. Much prefer to actually fight them as in Shogun II and RTW II
    High Plains Drifter

Taking a stone-walled city, I tend to autoresolve, unless I need to minimize casualties. It is funny that if you assault without towers, rams, and such, and just autoresolve because it lets you do so with ballistas and onagers, you can still take the town, even if your siege weapons wouldn't be able to breach the defenses if you fought the battle yourself.