Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trump likely to acknowledge Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default Re: Trump likely to acknowledge Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel

As fraught as the UN is with problems I'm still a supporter of the institution. It like many things needs reform so that the Human Rights section isn't filled and chaired by countries that are the worst violators. The Security Council, though it has usually been a deadlock between the US plus Allies versus USSR/Russia/China still has been able to put more sanctions on countries, has been a good forum for at least discussing problems instead of defaulting to war. There's something to be said that there hasn't been a world war since the second one and the UN together with nuclear deterrent has been a part of that.

While I wish the US found more support in it I'm not surprised that most of the third world usually votes with their pockets or history and sides with Russia or China. That does not however make it a useless organization. I'm glad it's based in NYC which in part is what keeps us from leaving it which would leave it purely as a forum for our rivals while at the same time allowing them to get international legitimacy while the US would then be a 'rogue' state though a great power one at that.
    A UN without the US would lead to it being as useless and weak as the League of Nations which would in turn likely lead to more regional wars because most countries would just need to seek a tacit okay from Russia or China and not have to worry about it being an illegal war. If the US walks from the world there's no longer the Pax Britannia-Frankia to ensure free trade and curb the return of regional hegemonies.

PS: When's the Backroom going on it's annual Christmas Truce?

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Interesting, even the UK voted for the resolution. I was expecting them to abstain. It also seems that only a handful of fairly obscure countries voted with Israel and the USA, and as far as I know none of them are allies to either....
    Most of those voting with the USA and Israel on the measure were small archipelago countries in the Pacific and a lot of their economies are bound up with the USA at least at one remove. Honduras is trying to get through an election that is somewhat of a shambles and both sides seek to curry favor with the USA. Not sure why Guatemala voted our way.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Jake Tapper actually summed up my thoughts on the UN General Assembly vote condemning the US for recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capitol....
    Aside from being irrelevant tu quoque sniping, it's kind of unreflective to rag on Yemen for drafting the resolution while "7 million Yemenis [are] on the brink of starvation in that country's civil war".

I suppose Saudi Arabia and the UAE don't get derided by Tapper for fomenting the civil war and the starvation (in fairness), nor the US government for providing material, financial, and moral support to these countries, or indeed for being "more focused on where the US puts its embassy in Israel" than the civil rights of women, foreign workers, etc.

Moreover, are Russia and China right to say that the United States is in no position to lecture them without having cleaned its own house? I don't think so.

That segment was completely unnecessary and editorially foolish.

Is Israel truly deserving of 86% of the world's condemnation?
    No, but condemnation of Israel (without further action) is one of the easiest consensuses to reach in the UN General Assembly. There are a lot of such resolutions because Arab states keep advancing them, and any resolution put to vote seems to get approved for the most part.

Perhaps one would like a resolution condemning excessive Arab resolution submissions?

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Here's a list that shows how the countries voted, seemed harder to find than it should be.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/1...180116873.html
    My post above had a BBC link.

Most of the countries that voted with the US are members of the Compact of Free Association (COFA), says Daniel Kliman, a Senior Fellow at the Center for a New American Security, "which would explain their votes".
    Last edited by Montmorency; 12-23-2017 at 22:37.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    Tonight. Re-opens on 2nd Jan. Anything major in between can go into the Frontroom but at a vastly reduced tone.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-23-2017 at 22:41.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    I knew that there'd be someone to remind the administrator.
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    My post above had a BBC link.
    Must have missed that.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234