Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PESCO EU Defense Pact

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: PESCO EU Defense Pact

All things are relative my friend.

Across europe all suffer the same; maintaining high-end fighting forces is ferociously expensive.
    We are at the barest minimum with an economy of 2.5 trillion dollars and spending 2.0% of GDP.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post

Across europe all suffer the same; maintaining high-end fighting forces is ferociously expensive.
    We are at the barest minimum with an economy of 2.5 trillion dollars and spending 2.0% of GDP.
    We are way under that here, 2.0 is the deal no, good. The cloaked money that goes to African dictators is more important I guess, for whatever reason. Certainly not Royal Dutch Shell of course
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-16-2017 at 09:23.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Exactly. I dont expect any European country, even the UK, to have a force the size or capability of the US is totally unrealistic. My issue is mainly that to me it feels that the UK likes to bite off more than it can chew, like it did in Helmand.

If it was up to me, I would specialize the various European states to provide various roles for what is essentially one big European army under the auspices of NATO. Every nation would maintain their own territorial defense forces, but a country like the UK would focus everything on the navy, or the Dutch would focus on the air force, the Germans and Poles on tanks and so forth. The issue I am seeing is that you have all these relatively small European states who try to have a bit of everything. Like the Czechs have 30 main battle tanks. Lets be honest, in a full blown war, those 30 tanks are essentially a speed bump for enemy forces. So instead of those 30 tanks, why not use that money for more infantry or something like that?

Now I know that the idea of one big centralized European army is a complete pipe dream, but its fun to imagine anyways.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2017 at 02:11.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Defence Budget cuts threaten getting those shiny toys in the UK.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42382002
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post

If it was up to me, I would specialize the various European states to provide various roles for what is essentially one big European army under the auspices of NATO. Every nation would maintain their own territorial defense forces, but a country like the UK would focus everything on the navy, or the Dutch would focus on the air force, the Germans and Poles on tanks and so forth. The issue I am seeing is that you have all these relatively small European states who try to have a bit of everything. Like the Czechs have 30 main battle tanks. Lets be honest, in a full blown war, those 30 tanks are essentially a speed bump for enemy forces. So instead of those 30 tanks, why not use that money for more infantry or something like that?

Now I know that the idea of one big centralized European army is a complete pipe dream, but its fun to imagine anyways.
    Under the auspices of nato is the heart of the problem for the EU.

They have a delicious absurdity in wanting an independent foreign policy where they have the sovereign and inviolable option to choose to do nothing.

It is the 'will' part that is the killer.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 12-17-2017 at 10:24.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Exactly. I dont expect any European country, even the UK, to have a force the size or capability of the US is totally unrealistic. My issue is mainly that to me it feels that the UK likes to bite off more than it can chew, like it did in Helmand.

For the ground units each nation (or at least language group) would need to maintain at least a nexus of the full complement of ground warfare. Can't expect coordination on the ground if german tanks are expected to work with french infantry, Italian artillery or dutch aviation. The record of Austro-hungary in WWI with the problems too many languages in one army created a testiment to the difficulty and thats with much slower and simpler battle plans than present day.
    Each nation having at least a nucleus of capability in all the major branches means at least there is a supply of trainers if each branch needs to be expanded.
    Also, the politics of who's boys blood is shed would require that all nations have a share of the ground combat arms so that the burdens seem more fair. The Czechs, and Poles would probably not be too happy if Paris/Berlin/Brussels decide where their countrymen die without French or German Soldiers sharing the same risk.

Under the auspices of natol is the heart of the problem for the EU.

They have a delicious absurdity in wanting an independent foreign policy where they have the sovereign and inviolable option to choose to do nothing.

The will part is certainly the killer. Who wants the the leader of country X deciding if Soldiers from country Y need to be sent to defend country Z's interest.
    Last edited by spmetla; 12-17-2017 at 10:20.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Members thankful for this post (2):

https://warisboring.com/every-german...out-of-action/
    Every German Submarine Is Out of Action
    Germany's undersea fleet couldn't sink a sailboat

...on paper, the Deutsche Marine has six Type 212A submarines equipped with advanced air-independent propulsion, allowing ultraquiet operations submerged for more than two weeks at a time.

In reality, the Deutsche Marine does not currently have a single submarine in operational condition.
    U-31, the first submarine of the class, had been out of service since 2014. Although repairs should be completed in December 2017, it will take months of trials before she is ready for deployment.

U-32 had suffered damage to her batteries while on route to Norway in July 2017. So far, no berth is free to even begin repairs. Ahead in line for the next available spot in January 2018 is U-34, also in need of maintenance, with no estimated time of completion available.

U-33, meanwhile, is undergoing maintenance through February 2018. Then she will require three to four more months of trials. U-36, the sister ship of U-35, was commissioned on Oct. 10, 2017, but will not become operational until May 2018.

The culprit for the lengthy delays? Since the end of the Cold War, the Deutsche Marine ceased maintaining a comprehensive supply of spare parts as a cost-cutting measure, instead procuring parts on demand or looting them from non-operational boats. This has resulted in enormous delays and accumulated backlog.
    Will this PESCO agreement spur Germany to actually invest in the military it currently has at all?

-Abraham Lincoln

Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

This has been an ongoing news story of sorts since 2014 or so when we couldn't use half our Eurofighters, none or three marine helicopters, were running out of transport planes and so on. Additionally the new army helicopters NH-90 (transport) and Tiger (attack) are both unfit for service to a large extent. The NH-90 lacks all kinds of features, such as sufficient ground clearance to land on anything that isn't concrete, the Tiger is purely built for anti-tank duty and completely useless for conflicts like Afghanistan (the french version with the independent gun is much better for that).

On the other hand, the budget does not appear to be the problem as the forces have repeatedly not been able to use the entire budget because there was simply nothing to buy. It sounds a lot like the manufacturers just cannot deliver the spare parts needed or so, but I have no idea why that is or what they could do other than nationalize the suppliers and produce more.
    Yay for the private sector?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The spare parts thing is possibly a problem like we have in the Army National Guard. We no longer are able to stockpile items for weapons, vehicles, body armor etc.. which means when something breaks we have to order it and wait weeks to months for it come back down.
    The change was supposed to reduce waste of over ordering but with rapidly worn parts it means increased down time. Imagine if you had to order individual pens when you'v used one up instead of having a stock of pens available already. It'd be nice if all my humvees with one working headlamp and no spare tires could get those fixed quickly but sadly the supply systems are no longer designed to be fast but cost cutting by reducing the waste of over-ordering.

When I said invest I also meant in people. The change to a volunteer army was a poor idea in a nation that abhors military service. Money alone doesn't man tanks or aircraft. Lack of use of the army also decreases morale, the many peacekeeping missions and other 'little' deployments create a purpose for professional soldiers in nations not at war. Spending 20-30 years in a military without ever doing anything other than training hurts morale and therefore retention which leads to decreased readiness.
    The people that joined the German Navy to be submariners and now have to wait months before being able to sail again will probably have extremely low morale.

It reminds me actually of a quote one my Austrian cousins said during his draftee service period that summed up the attitude toward military "God Save Austria because we certainly can't"
    Last edited by spmetla; 12-21-2017 at 05:26.

-Abraham Lincoln

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Blog Entries

They cant do as the russians and cannibalize the reserves they have rusting in nevada?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    They cant do as the russians and cannibalize the reserves they have rusting in nevada?
    If the Russians have reserves in Nevada, the Trump-Putin connection is confirmed?!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I know you mean the US reserves, but I had to...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    To the extent it is possible, we ARE doing that. The "boneyards" are the source for some of those out of production spare parts alluded to by spmetla. Most of the boneyards are for vehicles and equipment that is considered Obsolete or even obsolescent, not simply surplus to current need. Whether it is in a boneyard in Nevada or Die Neirderlands, refurb'ing an F-104 is neither cheap nor likely to yield a fighter truly useful in a modern air conflict.

I have read stories that the Russians, in the days just after the breakup of the Soviet regime, still had storage depots with reasonably well maintained vehicles sufficient to equip a motor rifle division.....of the 1945 pattern, featuring T-34/85's and 6X6 Lend Lease Trucks (While the Russians used pretty much every bit of the Lend Lease sent them, the only thing that made a huge difference to their army was the scads of reliable trucks we sent).

Boneyards are the place where you send something to rot in the open air because it is too expensive to do anything else with. I personally think that we could probably take care of America's love of canned beer [] for several years by reclaiming the aluminum in the oldest ones.

Depots are filled with the somewhat older but still useable equipment, but most of that needs to be refurb'd or otherwise brought up to useful levels for a modern battlefield. Big Ticket Item example. We can get the Wisconsin (BB-64) back into active mode with the fleet, but to do so with all the appropriate updates would require north of $1.5B.

Now the Russians have, at least since Soviet times, been more willing to toss their soldiers into a conflict with outdated equipment. None of the armies in the West can afford to be quite that cavalier with the lives of their soldiers (for political reasons if naught else).
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

The RN has the emergency option of sending Australian ships into war.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The exact opposite of the planet that's helpful

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    The exact opposite of the planet that's helpful
    It's helped in the past. The Aussies paid money for the privilege too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Once they already have:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...er-it-vanished
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Under the auspices of nato is the heart of the problem for the EU.

And as Libya in 2011 showed, sometimes a European country (like Germany) will elect to do nothing even when the cause is deemed just and the operation is given the green light by the UNSC. Germany is one of the classic cases of "decent capability, lack of will."

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    For the ground units each nation (or at least language group) would need to maintain at least a nexus of the full complement of ground warfare. Can't expect coordination on the ground if german tanks are expected to work with french infantry, Italian artillery or dutch aviation. The record of Austro-hungary in WWI with the problems too many languages in one army created a testiment to the difficulty and thats with much slower and simpler battle plans than present day.
    Each nation having at least a nucleus of capability in all the major branches means at least there is a supply of trainers if each branch needs to be expanded.
    Also, the politics of who's boys blood is shed would require that all nations have a share of the ground combat arms so that the burdens seem more fair. The Czechs, and Poles would probably not be too happy if Paris/Berlin/Brussels decide where their countrymen die without French or German Soldiers sharing the same risk.

The will part is certainly the killer. Who wants the the leader of country X deciding if Soldiers from country Y need to be sent to defend country Z's interest.
    These are definitely very true points as to why my idea likely wouldnt work, and why I said it was a pipe dream at best. Ideally, since the command language of NATO is English anyways, everyone should just speak English, but thats just me being a haughty and self-centered American.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

And as Libya in 2011 showed, sometimes a European country (like Germany) will elect to do nothing even when the cause is deemed just and the operation is given the green light by the UNSC. Germany is one of the classic cases of "decent capability, lack of will."
    Too bad that one of the two countries that started the bombing campaign is now leaving the EU because too many economic migrants are coming through Libya now, while Germany is trying to process them all and gets blamed for it, too.

And besides, what "decent capability"? Did you miss the news about the state of our armed forces? Despite the fact half our Eurofighters can't fly, last time I checked they were not even ready for anti-ground duty yet. Not sure how many Tornados we have left. And even the very ready and capable French and British ran out of guided bombs after about a month. Then again with only one bomber ready to fly, our bombs might have lasted longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Too bad that one of the two countries that started the bombing campaign is now leaving the EU because too many economic migrants are coming through Libya now, while Germany is trying to process them all and gets blamed for it, too.

And besides, what "decent capability"? Did you miss the news about the state of our armed forces? Despite the fact half our Eurofighters can't fly, last time I checked they were not even ready for anti-ground duty yet. Not sure how many Tornados we have left. And even the very ready and capable French and British ran out of guided bombs after about a month. Then again with only one bomber ready to fly, our bombs might have lasted longer...
    Exactly, if the Germans had the political will to spend more on defense, then you wouldn't have those maintenance issues. As I recall, Germany actually has the largest land component of any European country, though Poland is catching up. I'd need to look up the figures again.

And my point about Libya wasn't that Germany was horrible for not participating, it was a real life example of EU/NATO members disagreeing about foreign policy, making my idea of one large European army useless. Kinda risky to have an army like that if a large chunk of it won't deploy in the first place.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

The 'each country will furnish the following contingent for service upon request' route is NATO-lite.

If they want integration, reduce the national militaries to a division or so apiece and institute an EU force using one language, force structure, etc. funded by a levy drawn from all members by whatever apportionment seems most apt.

Coupled with mandatory conscription, it could even be used as a cultural change tool shifting folks towards a common Euro identity even more so then at present.

Just a thought...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

These are definitely very true points as to why my idea likely wouldnt work, and why I said it was a pipe dream at best. Ideally, since the command language of NATO is English anyways, everyone should just speak English, but thats just me being a haughty and self-centered American.
    Still remembering the visit of my relatives (who speak american english with a dialect from the palatinate) I wonder what has being american to do with speaking proper english...

And my point about Libya wasn't that Germany was horrible for not participating, it was a real life example of EU/NATO members disagreeing about foreign policy, making my idea of one large European army useless. Kinda risky to have an army like that if a large chunk of it won't deploy in the first place.
    Defense Pact. Military action in Lybia was outside EU borders and every sovereign state could decide itself to stay on the side of right and justice and respect the sovereignity of Lybia (and protect the interestes of the EU as Ghadaffi had a deal with the EU to prevent refugees in the med) or ignore them and support the tribal rebels that noone wanted to realize as being a worse replacement for Ghadaffi. Now Lybia has 3 dictators and is barely able to control it’s own coast...

Reacting to a threat to the borders of an EU-member would look quite different and trigger a more united response, I think.
    Last edited by ConjurerDragon; 01-02-2018 at 17:50.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    The 'each country will furnish the following contingent for service upon request' route is NATO-lite.

If they want integration, reduce the national militaries to a division or so apiece and institute an EU force using one language, force structure, etc. funded by a levy drawn from all members by whatever apportionment seems most apt.

Coupled with mandatory conscription, it could even be used as a cultural change tool shifting folks towards a common Euro identity even more so then at present.

Just a thought...
    That would work...but no one is ready for that yet. Just like with the economic approach, you impliment the system you can get political buy in for - knowing it doesn't work. When (not if) it breaks you are then forced to make changes to fix it you really wanted in the first place - the EU central bank has far more power than initially and is also started telling countries what they can and can not spend. This was unthinkable at the outset.

So we have the proposal for a disaster and await everyone demanding that things are properly integrated with a proper General Staff etc etc and then - obeying the will of the many - this will then be instigated.

What will be the catalyst is difficult to know. But it could be Russia, Turkey, Syria or even the USA. The timescale is less set and the cause less clear than Bismark unifying Germany under Prussia, but the use of external threats for political realignment is a pretty common device.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    That would work...but no one is ready for that yet. Just like with the economic approach, you impliment the system you can get political buy in for - knowing it doesn't work. When (not if) it breaks you are then forced to make changes to fix it you really wanted in the first place....
    That never happens in the USA [cough --- Affordable Care Act --- /cough], so I wouldn't know what kind of a shady tactic to which you are referring.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    That never happens in the USA [cough --- Affordable Care Act --- /cough], so I wouldn't know what kind of a shady tactic to which you are referring.
    Then sometimes they can be funded, but cronyism and corruption [cough ---- Tax breaks for the Rich ---- /cough] is embedded in the system.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Then sometimes they can be funded, but cronyism and corruption [cough ---- Tax breaks for the Rich ---- /cough] is embedded in the system.
    Preaching to the choir on that one. All the loopholes and tax gaming really suck on a whole range of moral and ethical levels.

Moral and ethics are for the arts, they have no place in business unless they increase dividends!

Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    ... I wonder what has being american to do with speaking proper english... .
    Fairly little at this point. American English is what English becomes when it rummages around in the pockets of passed-out drunkards looking for loose grammar and a wad of nouns.

It looks indeed like NATO-lite.
    Not a replacement for NATO, but a supplement to it.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/01/03/...mbushing-nato/

It strike me as a "half of the above"; an EU initiative as opposed to American with the added benefit that if the Euro project ever gets full commitment from its members, the framework for an EU military is at least "in being".
    It may get more buy-in; the problem being it's much an act of faith until broad based capacity and will is demonstrated...the same thing NATO has been waiting for for years.
    Is PESCO a better motivational vehicle than NATO?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    It looks indeed like NATO-lite.
    Not a replacement for NATO, but a supplement to it.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/01/03/...mbushing-nato/

It strike me as a "half of the above"; an EU initiative as opposed to American with the added benefit that if the Euro project ever gets full commitment from its members, the framework for an EU military is at least "in being".
    It may get more buy-in; the problem being it's much an act of faith until broad based capacity and will is demonstrated...the same thing NATO has been waiting for for years.
    Is PESCO a better motivational vehicle than NATO?
    To Germans, who retain an collective distrust of America and American ambition, yes, pesco may be a better motivator

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As long as it continues to be an additional structure (God knows why another additional structure is required in addition to the existing ones) then sure.

Whilst it is not "fair" that Europe relies so much on the USA for defense at least as things stand Europe is not seen as a competitor / threat (more as a mooch), better that than it starts to become a buffed-up military entity and adds to the complexities in the world. Already Turkey is pushing things to their absolute limits in Syria.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast